Dybala or Coutinho?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Who is better?

I think Coutinho is the better player while Dybala had a more consistent career.

iamking

Coutinho! A proper ball carrier who could thread a goal scoring pass 9 times out of 10. Can't believe how steep his career dived. Most of my Brazilian friends raved about him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think both have flattered to deceive pretty equally. Says a lot that they're at Aston Villa and Roma during what should be their prime years.

El Jefe

Coutinho, Dybala, Isco and James Rodriguez have had pretty interesting careers. All four reached the highest level in the game but pretty much found their roles redundant at elite clubs or lost their physical attributes and were done well before turning 30.

At one point in time, they could play for any team in the world. Very strange.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dybala. I was never sold on Coutinho.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
How's Dybala gone to Roma? His stock fell so far ?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Dybala is better of the two in there prime/peak I’d take him easily over Coutinho.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Dybala is class. Think he's severely underrated because he spends his time in Serie A.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Dybala. Coutinho is the brazilian version of Ludovic Obraniak.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Coutinho, Dybala, Isco and James Rodriguez have had pretty interesting careers. All four reached the highest level in the game but pretty much found their roles redundant at elite clubs or lost their physical attributes and were done well before turning 30.

All quintessential “luxury” players who had superb technical ability but lacked the pace or explosiveness to play as a forward in most modern teams, and the industriousness to play as midfielders. Their careers are by products of the relentless pressing and lace of the modern game. Twenty years ago they’d have been legends at their respective clubs. But they don’t properly fit into either box and are somewhat stuck in between. Managers appreciate their talent and vision but struggle to accommodate them. Players of their skill set need to learn how to play in central midfield these days to excel.

Of the lot, Isco was the one I rated the highest. I always thought he would develop to be superb in a midfield 3, in a sort of Iniesta role. But he didn’t. Dybala has the most useful skill set because I still think he could work well as a false 9, he’s the best finisher of the lot.

If I had to list them in order: Isco, Dybala, James, Coutinho. Coutinho I always felt was a player with a penchant for the spectacular but was more often than not hardly ever involved. His signing by Barcelona, for the fee, is maybe the worst of all time.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think both are very well known around the world. Although Dybala probably has higher “non football” fans.
Coutinho made world football news consistently for years, Dybala never has once. I only know his name because he was linked with us one summer.

Pintu

Coutinho made world football news consistently for years, Dybala never has once. I only know his name because he was linked with us one summer.
I guess you and I do not follow the same "world football news". Coutinho despite playing for Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern, and Brazil (a country 5 times bigger than Argentina) has about half Dybala's following. There are only 2 Premier League players with more Instagram followers than Dybala. These are Cristiano Ronaldo and Salah (slightly ahead of Dybala). No other PL player is anywhere close to him...

Being an insignificant player for his clubs since leaving Pool probably didn't help Coutinho. Dybala on the other hand has been a central player for Juventus for a few years (when Juventus were reaching CL final and dominating Italy... Unlike Coutinho whose good seasons with Pool coincide with them being Europa level).

https://www.instagram.com/phil.coutinho/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/paulodybala/

Last edited:

RedChisel

Pretty crazy the drop off Coutinho has had. Gone from one of the best players in the league with Liverpool, the huge transfer to Barcelona to now perennially mid table Villa under Stevie Starfish.

kthanksbye

Kagawa, Gotze, Ozil and Oscar? Maybe even Mata to a certain extent?

iamking

I guess you and I do not follow the same "world football news". Coutinho despite playing for Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern, and Brazil (a country 5 times bigger than Argentina) has about half Dybala's following. There are only 2 Premier League players with more Instagram followers than Dybala. These are Cristiano Ronaldo and Salah (slightly ahead of Dybala). No other PL player is anywhere close to him...
https://www.instagram.com/phil.coutinho/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/paulodybala/
Instagram followers?? Whoever said Dybala was unknown was ridiculous, but Dybala having more instagram followers has nothing to do with anything.... Coutinho was Brazil's best player in the last world cup, way better than Neymar. Coutinho wasn't lumbering around in EL, he played in CL for both Barca and Bayern (and WON the CL), something Dybala hasn't done.
Adding Dybala's an almost invisible presence for Argentina, you can safely say Coutinho is better than him. He was dominating Klopp's midfield to the extent once Tottenham zipped him up in the league Pool folded 4-0. If he had stayed Salah would have broken Bald Shearers record. Dybala is fantastic too. But Coutinho is the better player.

Barca went for Coutinho too soon. He should have been Messi's replacement than trying to fit them both in the same team. Two free roamers with the ability beat defenders at will, were never going work well in the same team. Coutinho was sidelined and rightly so, Messi was still in his pomp and Barca went for Coutinho early and wasted him. He was never the same after.
Till today I can say Pool hasn't replaced him, their only weakness, lack of creativity from the mid and thank Barca for fecking it up for both the vile clubs. (LOL). Besides, he wasn't a 140 million player, but he was a flamboyant and effective midfield player.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Instagram followers?? Whoever said Dybala was unknown was ridiculous, but Dybala having more instagram followers has nothing to do with anything.... Coutinho was Brazil's best player in the last world cup, way better than Neymar. Coutinho wasn't lumbering around in EL, he played in CL for both Barca and Bayern (and WON the CL), something Dybala hasn't done.
Adding Dybala's an almost invisible presence for Argentina, you can safely say Coutinho is better than him. He was dominating Klopp's midfield to the extent once Tottenham zipped him up in the league Pool folded 4-0. If he had stayed Salah would have broken Bald Shearers record. Dybala is fantastic too. But Coutinho is the better player.

Barca went for Coutinho too soon. He should have been Messi's replacement than trying to fit them both in the same team. Two free roamers with the ability beat defenders at will, were never going work well in the same team. Coutinho was sidelined and rightly so, Messi was still in his pomp and Barca went for Coutinho early and wasted him. He was never the same after.
Till today I can say Pool hasn't replaced him, their only weakness, lack of creativity from the mid and thank Barca for fecking it up for both the vile clubs. (LOL). Besides, he wasn't a 140 million player, but he was a flamboyant and effective midfield player.
You do realize Liverpool improved drastically in the midfield once he left right? And found huge success? They hardly got fecked up by selling him that’s an absurd thing to say

iamking

You do realize Liverpool improved drastically in the midfield once he left right? And found huge success? They hardly got fecked up by selling him that’s an absurd thing to say
True, you have a point. They were not fecked up because he left, but their midfield didn't get better without him. Klopp moved away from control (which he had with Coutinho) towards chaos, with his midfielders becoming more like hounds/play-breakers over creative playmakers. Till today their problem of breaking a low block persists as it highlights their problem of playing without him and in my opinion it continues to cost them heavily. Madrid for example camped the hell out of them and they couldn't break through. The crucial Tottenham game against Conte that won the league for City, Spurs camped and countered. So yeah, it won't be far fetched to say it has cost Liverpool dearly.

I think the new kid from Fulham Fabio is meant to be that person. But before that they had none of Coutinho's ilk unless am mistaken.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Both were appointed as possible ballon d'or winners but never came close to even get regular honors on domestic leagues.

Tallis

Not a big admirer of either to be honest. Maybe Coutinho is ahead - he does some cool things in a system that works for him

Pintu

Sorry Coutinho, Dybala wins this, he's a time traveler and now a WC winner.

One of the greatest thread you'll read on Argentina's triumph.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
What Dybala did in 2017 for Juventus (when they reached the CL final) exceeds anything Coutinho has ever done.

NoPace

Boring answer but it depends on who you're surrounding them. I do think Coutinho might be washed, though. Buendia looks far, far better when he plays.

Bondi77

Never seen Dybala play and Coutinho was good when he was at Liverpool.

Isafim

This is Coutinho at the midway point of the season(January 2018 ) before his move to Barcelona

it.whoscored.com/Articles/6aifaBp1rkyDsx8fk7JH7g/Show/The-stats-behind-Coutinhos-looming-move-from-Liverpool-to-Barcelona

I believe Dybala never reached that level not even in his prime