Dybala or Fernandes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Neither. Kai Havertz.

But if those are the only two choices, I believe if we keep Pogba, Dybala makes more sense. Pogba and Bruno both appear to play in similar roles, whereas Dybala is more of a forward. I am all about balance and even though Bruno is a player I would have preferred, Dybala is most likely the player we need if we keep Pogba

Mctominay
——————-Pogba———
Lingard ————————Martial/James
———-Dybala——
——Rashford————

Fred
McTominay - Pogba
Rashy/Greenwood - Dybala - Martial/Rashy

Doesn’t solve our right attack issue unless we shoehorn a player there or Greenwood and Chong can step up and make that position there own.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
they are very different players and offer a different set of versatility. The question is do you know what type of player Dybala is?

Dybala for me is a modern day Recoba. You can play him out wide but he has limited effect there. Where you'll get the best is second striker. he is more second striker than AMC which are different roles. In games when not playing SS, you can also move Dybala out wide in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

Bruno on the other hand is more of a Lampard in that he can play AMC or as an 8. different players. Fernandes can cover centre midfield in a 4-3-3 or AMC in a 4-2-3-1.

they come with different roles/potential roles in each formation. I'd prefer Bruno because we could do 4-3-3 with either Bruno or Pogba as the 8 in tough away games. That said, you made a good point about whether this is a true reflection of Bruno ability and on that note, I have changed my mind to preferring Dybala. what I want is for United to line up like France in the world cup and dybala to be our Griezman. The issue is we either need Fred/Anderson to fix the feck up or sign another CM. Think about this, Dybala is a Lukaku swap, and we have signed a FB and hopefully a CB. we would still be lacking a Herrera replacement but I always maintained that if we can get a lethal attack, we can hold fire on the CM
I dont think Bruno Fernandes can play as an 8 effectively. He'd play exclusively as a 10, and essentially as a more goal focused version of Eriksen with less refined technique/passing/decision making. You wouldnt play Eriksen as an 8, and I see Bruno Fernandes the same.
I agree regarding Dybala, he would play as a #10 but more of a second striker, or ca play as a wide forward on the right no problem in a further advanced role in a 433. Midfield would then be Pogba, McTominay or Matic, and 1 more to balance it however we decide. Think that suits our attack just fine and is versatile to what Ole wants. Bruno Fernandes would leave our main front 3 to be Martial, rashford and a random (lingard/mata/Greenwood/sanchez/etc), but then leave an unbalanced midfield with Pogba next to Bruno Fernandes and in front of a holding mid. If we're going down the 3 midfielder route with Bruno Fernandes, then I don't think that midfield would really work that well with balance, and our attack would be lacking still, while Dybala would at least sort out the attack and leave us versatile to fixing the midfield (or playing around with what we have, if we want Pogba-Dm to be a midfield 2 for easy games or throw in another mid for harder games). Bruno kind of locks us in to a midfield 3 of bruno as a 10 ONLY (he flat out isnt very good in a deeper role), pogba as the 8, and McTominay or Matic sweeping up behind them (pretty much always, as there is no versatility there). It just wouldnt work IMO.

The way I look at the side and what Ole wants right now, we have the following:

De Gea
AWB Lindelof ???? Shaw
McTominay Pogba
???? ???? Martial
Rashford
We all know we need a CB, while the 2 attack positions can move around. I'm sure 1 Ole will want to move around between being a midfield 3 or part of the front 4, and that'd rotate between Matic/Fred/Pereira/Lingard/Greenwood etc. The other attacking position, if Dybala, would give license to always move formations around with that other player, whether it's a 4231 and Dybala is the 10 and Lingard goes wide, or a more stable 433 or 4312 where Dybala is a wide forward or a #10 and we put a center mid next to pogba and McTominay, which would also free Pogba up more for those games. If its Bruno Fernandes, that would always be a midfield 3 of Pogba as the 8, Bruno as the 10 and McTominay or Matic holding, which I just don't see working, and then a front 3 of Martial, rashford and relying on Greenwood at 17 to be ready. It's just locking us in to a set formation and lineup which very much could fail instantly, and locking Pogba to a deeper role.

Not to mention Bruno Fernandes is a much inferior player, less potential, much greater risk of failure, etc.

hungrywing

Feels like us having been in for Fernandes all the way only for Woodward to want another marquee/disney signing. That despite the 'we're in for both of them' talk.

FrenchRed

I have a horrible feeling that we'll get neither, be lumped with Lukaku all season and sign Bale for crazy money in the last hour of the window.

If it'll be enough to get rid of Ed, so be it.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

We really need some creativity so I would like to get both.
I have watched more of Dybala and think this guy has so much potential so that he would be my first choice.

Crustanoid

We shouldn’t even be arguing about this!!! We need both plus a DM, CB, RW and to get rid of deadwood. And also replace Pogba and Lukaku if needed. It has to change. Woodward is a moron

Swiss_Red89

If it's a case of one or another:

Heart says Dybala, "he will be brilliant for us."

Head says "don't make the same mistakes over and over again", so Bruno.

Mylock

Bruno ahead of Dybala. He wants to come here. Our record with South Americans is abysmal. Bruno will be alot less maintenance, Dybala has all the ability in the world but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to deliver on his potential.

Chillosophy

Bruno Fernandes is probably more of what we need but I'd love to displace Lingard in our team and I think Dybala has a higher ceiling than Bruno. If it would mean we could get rid off Lukaku, who doesnt fit Ole's prefered playstyle, that would also be a big bonus.

I Am Zlatan

We are going to feck this up historically and get none of them are we?
I feel like that would be the case too, and no Longstaff either.. maybe just Maguire and we’re done..

I had high hopes for this transfer window, not only for signings but also getting rid of deadwood.. looks like it’ll be another disappointing season and us fall even further behind.. I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see, one more week left?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bruno ahead of Dybala. He wants to come here. Our record with South Americans is abysmal. Bruno will be alot less maintenance, Dybala has all the ability in the world but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to deliver on his potential.
Based on what? Nothing? Dybala has never been a headache for Juve with his professionalism or anything like that. Simple case for this is that they signed Cristiano Ronaldo, which means he has to change his game which doesn't get the best out if him anymore. Was borderline world class before Ronaldo came for 3 seasons.

Lynty

Is that you Ed?
About the only factual statement in this thread.

It amazes me how many experts on Italian and Portuguese football we have on the caf. Not sure where they find the time to watch Sporting v Boavista of a weekend.

Scholsey2004

Feels like us having been in for Fernandes all the way only for Woodward to want another marquee/disney signing. That despite the 'we're in for both of them' talk.
It does feel like that. We started off looking for the next big things in the championship and lower prem sides and then reverted to Woodward's 'buy the biggest name available' mentality. I'm tempted to say fernandes as a cam would be more what we were specifically looking for as opposed to dybala who is clearly a second striker. If the two players are of a roughly similar price though then dybala is clearly the more proven player and Sporting seem to have wanted more than we were willing to pay.

Scholsey2004

I feel like that would be the case too, and no Longstaff either.. maybe just Maguire and we’re done..

I had high hopes for this transfer window, not only for signings but also getting rid of deadwood.. looks like it’ll be another disappointing season and us fall even further behind.. I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see, one more week left?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Maguire deal doesn't happen. Leicester seem to be playing the kind of games they did when sides tried to buy Mahrez in the past, namely keep bumping up the price and if the deal falls through, hard cheese for the player.

Morpheus 7

It's weird that we are in this position with a week left. Ed, Judge and the goons really must have been scratching there hole since the new year. It's all so reactionary and opportunistic, I was encouraged with the planning of bringing in James and AWB. Since then it's been a snail pace and swap deals for big players. Where is the planning in it all?

We need both players, one to replace Rom and then to replace Herrera. The lack of creativity is startling, mad some still can't see how heavily reliant we still are on Pogba in a creative sense. Can't help but think the board has learnt nothing since last year. It's a tense state of affairs. They really underestimated the scale of the problem, looking at revenue profits instead of what's on the pitch. All along out of touch with the fans through there social media posts. We really don't care what Darmian thinks about the AC Milan game on Saturday:lol:

Green_Red

About the only factual statement in this thread.

It amazes me how many experts on Italian and Portuguese football we have on the caf. Not sure where they find the time to watch Sporting v Boavista of a weekend.
Not even sure where theyre watching those games. Youtube scouting is the best conclusion.

I Am Zlatan

I wouldn't be surprised if the Maguire deal doesn't happen. Leicester seem to be playing the kind of games they did when sides tried to buy Mahrez in the past, namely keep bumping up the price and if the deal falls through, hard cheese for the player.
I agree, that’s why I said maybe, I feel like it’s 50/50 at this point and it’ll be too late to buy another center back if it doesn’t happen. Judge/Ed need another 2 months to sign someone it feels like.

Please Ed make me eat my words.

Preggy99

I would take both, considering Pogba will be gone come January or next summer. Get them both in now, Fernandes as the 8 and Dybala as the 10. Get them playing together asap and they will gel, Fernandes is a great technical player and will keep the ball moving quickly through the midfield. Dybala can pick locks and score too, so for me both! & Maguire as well obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Pawelek

I've gone right off Dybala. Fernandes wants to be here. Dybala doesn't. It's a no-brainer.

My reservations over Dybala began with his puny contributions to defence. It will not work out well for a team designed to press. Since then everything I've heard: wants to stay in Italy, wants bags of money, ... convince me he'd be a bad buy. WTF cares how many shirts he sells or fans he woos - he won't win matches with the wrong attitude.

Last edited:

Fer

We need both, Dybala would be the new image of the club once Pogba is gone, and Fernandes wants to come. He would be a good fit in our midfield.
BTW... Is Fernandes able to play in a midfield of 2?

LJJT

Fernandes for me, as a number 10. Think he’d be more suited to us, the league. I don’t believe we are remotely interested in him though otherwise we’d have bought him by now. Dybala could end up being good for us but think he’s more of a gamble. We need another proper midfielder regardless of which one we get

Holters

I'm surprised to see so many choose a wildcard like Fernandes over a proven top quality player like Dybala. With that being said, I agree that on paper Fernandes seem to suit Solskjær's formation better. However, this might be a very good time to sign Dybala coming off a poor season due to his new role after they incorporated Ronaldo in their team. It will be very interesting to see where he will fit in though, as the most naturaly position for Dynala in 4231 would be the number 9 spot, alternatively number 10. He is better centrally than on the wings.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Bruno hands down. I don’t trust Matic to be a starting player. Once we get a Maguire, Matic should go to the bench. The only reason we are playing him is his height. Given absence of Smalling and DDG weakness our defense aerially is a disaster.

This leaves us with Pogba and MCT pairing in midfield (Fred is good cover for PP, no cover for MCT). Adding Dybala as 10 to this midfield is at least not productive. We need a more physical player. A new Lampard. Lampard had tremendous physicality: he covered both 10 and 8 positions. Perfect version of a more attacking Kante.

I don’t know if Bruno is as physical as Lampard, but he is closer to the standard than Dybala for sure.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I was trying to get the answer from “get both Dybala and Bruno” camp on how we are going to fit them in 4-2-3-1. The best and, I believe, the only rational answer was Bruno in midfield hybrid 8-10, Dybala is straight replacement for Lukaku. Sick and tired of Lukaku. A multipurpose central forward instead of him will be sweet. If he is at least as strong as Aguero or Firmino, I am all for such a deal. How is his hold up play?

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Only messages of support once I unveil Phillipe Coutinho tomorrow. Finally sending this club in the right direction.
Can I stroke your stubble? Just once?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We are getting neither haha. Simon Stone just slayed everyone on here :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.