Gaming Dying Light 2 (PS, Xbox, PC, Switch)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Out on Friday.

2 out of 5 stars from the Guardian. 77 on Metacritic atm.

Apparently the usual open world repetitive tropes. Still not sure if I’ll get it.

evil_geko

From what I have seen, I will love this like first one, most important for me was brilliant atmosphere and gameplay in first one, which is improved upon judging by reviews, most complains are about story which I didn't even expect to be good, and about bugs which most should be fixed with Day 1 patch.

First one has something like 75 on metacritic and I absolutely love that game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Dunno if I can be arsed with Horizon and Elden Ring so close. Maybe in a few months after it gets some patches.

Ainu

From what I have seen, I will love this like first one, most important for me was brilliant atmosphere and gameplay in first one, which is improved upon judging by reviews, most complains are about story which I didn't even expect to be good, and about bugs which most should be fixed with Day 1 patch.

Yeah I don't get why anyone would care about story in Dying Light. Can't remember anyone from the first and I loved it. Just get someone to play co-op and write your own stories. Pretty sure I'm going to love this, everyone seems convinced the parkour has been massively improved.

Chairman Steve

I was interested in this game as Chris Avellone was involved in it and he tends to be a mark of good quality, but then he got removed because of allegations which I think later turned out to be false.

So I’m not sure if I want to splash full retail price to find out whether some of his stuff survived.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
First game had bit of John Carpenter's movie atmosphere, especially with that synth ambient ost and on top of that Jade Aldemir was fairly decent character which story revolved around for big part.

Not expecting something better or as good as, especially with early reviews mentioning dull characters from the beginning. I remember disappointment after playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst which was just a mild version of the original game...

Ainu

First game had bit of John Carpenter's movie atmosphere, especially with that synth ambient ost and on top of that Jade Aldemir was fairly decent character which story revolved around for big part.

Not expecting something better or as good as, especially with early reviews mentioning dull characters from the beginning. I remember disappointment after playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst which was just a mild version of the original game...
Well, if you want an incredibly in depth review, here it is:

I find that his (and ACG's) reviews are always worth it, because even if you don't agree, they've given you all the information you need to make up your own mind. Something that is often lacking in many other reviews.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well, if you want an incredibly in depth review, here it is:

I find that his (and ACG's) reviews are always worth it, because even if you don't agree, they've given you all the information you need to make up your own mind. Something that is often lacking in many other reviews.
Many thanks for this. Karak from ACG was less keen on giving it a definitive score rating. Perhaps it's better to wait for massive dlc's which made Dying Light way deeper, not to mention main DLC campaign for first one gave all answers to the storyline, including choice to live as a zombie which was cool.

Anyways this guy from Skill Up also mentions there's a massive choice making in the game that changes how war of factions progress the storyline. I like that, gives you bit of the Fallout NV vibes.

It's a tough one really, I'll wait one or two months till absolutely all major bugs are gone and perhaps give it a try. Cheers.

Ainu

Many thanks for this. Karak from ACG was less keen on giving it a definitive score rating. Perhaps it's better to wait for massive dlc's which made Dying Light way deeper, not to mention main DLC campaign for first one gave all answers to the storyline, including choice to live as a zombie which was cool.

Anyways this guy from Skill Up also mentions there's a massive choice making in the game that changes how war of factions progress the storyline. I like that, gives you bit of the Fallout NV vibes.

It's a tough one really, I'll wait one or two months till absolutely all major bugs are gone and perhaps give it a try. Cheers.
Karak didn't want to give it a score because the co-op mode was unavailable pre-launch. Since that's a large part of the experience for many players, I get that. He sounded very positive otherwise though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Karak didn't want to give it a score because the co-op mode was unavailable pre-launch. Since that's a large part of the experience for many players, I get that. He sounded very positive otherwise though.
Let's say for most part, he sounded positive.

I'm afraid we're into the era of gaming where sequels are getting solid upgrades on game mechanics while downgrading the storyline & characters. Hope I'm wrong with this.

Bosws87

Was disappointed to see the 60fps mode on both consoles is natively running at 1080p, seems very low.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really don't get why we're offered things like 60fps and ray-tracing if you can't have both at the same time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Yeah first one was one of the best games of previous generation for me, or should I say one of the most enjoyable. Add that it’s made by a Polish studio and it’s an easy buy for me once I dig myself out of backlog a bit.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Bit disappointed by the scores, but I reckon with patches and some work on performance it'll be a decent game.

Usual open world tropes and repetitive nature of activities is true of almost every open world game including the highly rated ones like Halo Infinite, Spiderman, Tsushima. If the traversal and combat is fun, I really don't think it matters too much, especially for a game that can be played co-op (for those into that).

Think it was just a bit too ambitious and they didn't give themselves the time needed for polish and performance.

Considering all the shit people have given to industry consolidation this week, for an indie to produce a game of this ambition and scale, and to give the transparency and review copies that they did despite no day 1 patch (or the sway to get reviewers to overlook the issues), the response feels a bit harsh. Hopefully word of mouth over time make this game a success like the 1st one, or perhaps it gets a boost from something like Gamepass.

Ainu

Bit disappointed by the scores, but I reckon with patches and some work on performance it'll be a decent game.

Usual open world tropes and repetitive nature of activities is true of almost every open world game including the highly rated ones like Halo Infinite, Spiderman, Tsushima. If the traversal and combat is fun, I really don't think it matters too much, especially for a game that can be played co-op (for those into that).

Think it was just a bit too ambitious and they didn't give themselves the time needed for polish and performance.

Considering all the shit people have given to industry consolidation this week, for an indie to produce a game of this ambition and scale, and to give the transparency and review copies that they did despite no day 1 patch (or the sway to get reviewers to overlook the issues), the response feels a bit harsh. Hopefully word of mouth over time make this game a success like the 1st one, or perhaps it gets a boost from something like Gamepass.
That last paragraph is how I feel as well. There's some cynicism among gamers towards studios and publishers at the moment, and I understand why, but there are plenty of studios that deserve better. Techland are practically an indie studio who create AAA experiences, and they've shown an incredible support and dedication during the (long) life cycle of the first game. They've made this a passion project and there's always a risk of it buckling under the weight of its own ambition, but the basis they've built here looks great. We can trust these guys to keep supporting it.

I'm more than happy to support a studio like that and I hope many others do as well. Because if we don't, this is exactly the sort of studio that will be taken over by one of the gaming juggernauts in the next round of industry consolidation. Something I thought we all hated.

b82REZ

You have a very romantic view of GP and how much it's going to help devs. Sure it gets their game in the hands of more players but that comes at with cost of a huge financial hit for the studio.

MS can afford to have their first party titles on GP day one and lose 10s of millions of sales. Teams like Techland cannot.

This is my biggest worry about GP and any similar services that come out in the future. Unless they change the pricing or how third parties are paid they're going to kill off ambitious indie devs that are trying to break into the AAA space.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like it. Nothing crazy so far, combat of course is more of like a Skyrim type combat so a bit shit, but the game is more for the world and exploring IMO. Haven't tried the online yet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got this on sale and whilst the core gameplay is ok, the story and side quests are some of the worst I’ve ever seen :lol:

The characters ask you to do the most banal things and change their minds within a second. The voice acting is terrible too. I just had one guy ask me to check on his girlfriend whilst he checked a different place. Suddenly he turns up where I am after checking the other place already. Why did he need me? Then he gets mad at me for the girl not wanting to be with him. It makes no sense :lol:

The choices you make seem to have no impact so I’m just being as brutal as possible. It’s hilarious watching NPCs get mad but their expressions staying the exact same and tone of voice not changing at all.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh also why would you make your main character the most forgettable generic boring person. Even the voice actor I swear has done about 6 other characters in games before.

SirAnderson

Got this on sale and whilst the core gameplay is ok, the story and side quests are some of the worst I’ve ever seen :lol:

The characters ask you to do the most banal things and change their minds within a second. The voice acting is terrible too. I just had one guy ask me to check on his girlfriend whilst he checked a different place. Suddenly he turns up where I am after checking the other place already. Why did he need me? Then he gets mad at me for the girl not wanting to be with him. It makes no sense :lol:

The choices you make seem to have no impact so I’m just being as brutal as possible. It’s hilarious watching NPCs get mad but their expressions staying the exact same and tone of voice not changing at all.
That's very disappointing to hear, was looking to pick this up in the near future. I really enjoyed the first game. Will give it a pass then, cause I'm big on story telling, and if it's gash then I'd rather not.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's very disappointing to hear, was looking to pick this up in the near future. I really enjoyed the first game. Will give it a pass then, cause I'm big on story telling, and if it's gash then I'd rather not.
Yeah I'd save your money. It's crazy how shit some of the side quests are.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve uninstalled it. Just found it incredibly boring doing the same shit over and over.