Nationality: Wales

Height: 180cm
Position: Midfield - Central Midfield
Foot: Right
Player agent: Wasserman
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2022
Date of last contract extension: Nov 8, 2019

United in sin

Surprised there's no mention of his performance against Derby. He looked very tidy and was always looking to receive the ball and play it forward. His long balls were a delight. I thought he outperformed Garner and it wasn't even close. Very positive game from him

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Difficult circumstances at QPR but he looked bright. Brighter than Garner, who has been everyone's hope (hype) -- mine included.

devil99

Levitt and Shoretire are the ones impressed me most.

Gandalf

I hope this move works out for him, the Charlton loan was a total cock up last season but he showed some real hunger to push for the loan to Croatia when it looked like he was stuck with the window closed domestically. Dylan has really good technique and control with the passing range to be very influential from deep and just needs a run of games to get himself going. On the downside I am going to have to watch a lot of SPL games now.

lysglimt

Scout
I hope this move works out for him, the Charlton loan was a total cock up last season but he showed some real hunger to push for the loan to Croatia when it looked like he was stuck with the window closed domestically. Dylan has really good technique and control with the passing range to be very influential from deep and just needs a run of games to get himself going. On the downside I am going to have to watch a lot of SPL games now.
Devine has been off to a flyer in Scotland - so maybe it will be good for Levitt as well. Chances of playing are probably extremely high there. Oh and he could be making his debut against Reece Devine :)

Mickson

Devine has been off to a flyer in Scotland - so maybe it will be good for Levitt as well. Chances of playing are probably extremely high there. Oh and he could be making his debut against Reece Devine :)
Benched in the last couple of games, but yeah, seemed to have a good start.

This feels like the last chance for Levitt to impress, it´ll be interesting to follow his journey!

lysglimt

Scout
Benched in the last couple of games, but yeah, seemed to have a good start.

This feels like the last chance for Levitt to impress, it´ll be interesting to follow his journey!
Well - in fairness he wont make it at United, but he could still have a very good career at a high level

BigBebe

Seems to have had a pretty good debut yesterday for Dundee United. Playing as a deepish playmaker, all the reports were very positve.

Mickson

Seems to have had a pretty good debut yesterday for Dundee United. Playing as a deepish playmaker, all the reports were very positve.
BBC motm as well. Sounds like he will keep his place and keep improving. He needs first-team games badly. Promising!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aye excellent start up here for Dylan on his debut. Some Dundee United fans were quite impressed so hopefully he keeps his form up and gets plenty of games. Dundee United have had a good start to the season too and the league is very competitive this year so hopefully he can take a lot from this loan. Since he is on loan at a Scottish club hopefully I get a chance to see him as much as possible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Levitt's teammate Peter Pawlett praised the youngster's performance, telling The Courier : “There was one pass in particular near the end of the game that amazed me. It was like a half-volley and Dylan put it out wide. I was on the bench and I was just clapping it. It was unbelievable.

“He’s got that technical ability. He’s at Manchester United, he’s got real quality and it’s great to have him at our club. He was brilliant for us. He gives us a calmness on the ball."
Quality.

Mickson

Yeah he was apparently good against Celtic, good to see him imposing himself, which I think has been a problem before.

Bwuk

He could play at a higher level. Been great for Dundee Utd.

Scholsey2004

Really hope Levitt (and Galbraith) get chances here. Terrific passer of the ball.

Gandalf

Good thread here and nice to see a loan that is working out. The story about him proactively working to get his loan to Croatia last year was encouraging and this season is going well. I don’t know if he will ever be good enough for our first team but at least he could be a genuine transfer asset soon.

Marwood

Mentioned this in another thread but its particularly relevant to someone like Levitt.

Why do they seemingly struggle to add muscle? At their age, with all the time, advice and facilities they have you'd think putting on a stone of muscle over a year or two would be fairly straightforward.

I'm not always a fan of bulking up but for someone like Levitt you think to have a chance at least, it's something he must do.

But he looks the same as he did prior to his loans.

Gandalf

Kind of like Garner this is a loan that has really worked out with a solid first half to the season and now becoming more and more influential in the team. I don't know that Levitt will be good enough to make the squad at Old Trafford but he has at the very least made himself into a saleable asset that can be used to help fund the rebuild we need and get himself a move to a club where he can continue to build his career.

Mwooyo

Kind of like Garner this is a loan that has really worked out with a solid first half to the season and now becoming more and more influential in the team. I don't know that Levitt will be good enough to make the squad at Old Trafford but he has at the very least made himself into a saleable asset that can be used to help fund the rebuild we need and get himself a move to a club where he can continue to build his career.

Levitt will make it at united. I still rate him higher than garner. For people who doubt, just go watch both at their loan clubs. Levitt is too talented. I keep saying that United don't need to sign 2 or 3 midfielders to replace the leaving players, all we need is a manager who believes in youth and can give a chance to all the midfield talent we already have (Levitt, Garner, Galbraith, Mainoo, Gore etc). Off the top of my head, we already have replacements for carrick, scholes, pogba sitting in our academy...they just need to be promoted. If we are rebuilding for the next 3 years, why not promote them. We just need a DM like tchouameni/ruben neves/bisouma and RW like Olise/anthony + a defender to replace Maguire. Levitt is better than mcfred in everything and if he was at Barcelona, we would be begging to buy him

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Levitt will make it at united. I still rate him higher than garner. For people who doubt, just go watch both at their loan clubs. Levitt is too talented. I keep saying that United don't need to sign 2 or 3 midfielders to replace the leaving players, all we need is a manager who believes in youth and can give a chance to all the midfield talent we already have (Levitt, Garner, Galbraith, Mainoo, Gore etc). Off the top of my head, we already have replacements for carrick, scholes, pogba sitting in our academy...they just need to be promoted. If we are rebuilding for the next 3 years, why not promote them. We just need a DM like tchouameni/ruben neves/bisouma and RW like Olise/anthony + a defender to replace Maguire. Levitt is better than mcfred in everything and if he was at Barcelona, we would be begging to buy him
Do you genuinely think that Levitt would get anywhere close to Barca's midfield? Pedri, De Jong, Gavi etc?

Mwooyo

Do you genuinely think that Levitt would get anywhere close to Barca's midfield? Pedri, De Jong, Gavi etc?
Yup..he would definitely play. The only reason you doubt is becoz they actually play their kids while we dont, we loan ours out. I saw pedri and gavi when they made their debuts and they were very average..of course more games have allowed them to fully establish themselves. This is actually all Arteta also did at Arsenal....just play the kids. Emile smith rowe was not what he is now. Same with saka etc. At United we wont give the kids a consistent run in the first team until all other options are completely injured. We have so many players that are 100% not good enough but we continue to invest in them. Mcfred are an example. We will never win a prem or CL with those 2 starting in our midfield. Same thing with maguire in defence. So one wonders, why do we invest so much is failures rather than those who have the required technique but just lack experience. At manutd, we loan out all our talent...its crazy.

kundalini

With the exception of Rangers, Celtic and to a lesser extent Aberdeen, Scottish Premiership clubs pay similar wages to English League 1 teams, with a couple in League 2 salary territory. Even Rangers and Celtic wages are closer to the top end of the Championship than the English Premier League.

Levitt's loans to Charlton and NK Istra were relatively unsuccessful. His United contract is up in the summer, though we have a + 1 year option.

Dylan Levitt is 21 (November birthday).

That doesn't strike me as a pathway to United's first team. Contrast Levitt's contract situation with that of Elanga, who recently (late December) signed a new deal until summer 2026 with a + 1 year option. To state the obvious, for Levitt to make it at Old Trafford, United have to rate him.

It is possible United offer Levitt a new contract with the intention to loan him out again in case he develops a lot.

If you genuinely believe he is better than McTominay or Fred then I'm astonished.

The vast majority of transfers are either free or loans. Is Dylan Levitt a sufficiently attractive player that clubs will want to pay a fee for him ? I don't know the answer. I'm guessing it might be touch and go. Even some Championship teams rely on free transfers now. Most Scottish Premiership teams are prepared to pay for a striker but otherwise fees are rarely involved.

Levitt is out of contract in the summer though United have a + 1 year option. Perhaps United would sell for a minimal fee + percentage of any future sale.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yup..he would definitely play. The only reason you doubt is becoz they actually play their kids while we dont, we loan ours out. I saw pedri and gavi when they made their debuts and they were very average..of course more games have allowed them to fully establish themselves. This is actually all Arteta also did at Arsenal....just play the kids. Emile smith rowe was not what he is now. Same with saka etc. At United we wont give the kids a consistent run in the first team until all other options are completely injured. We have so many players that are 100% not good enough but we continue to invest in them. Mcfred are an example. We will never win a prem or CL with those 2 starting in our midfield. Same thing with maguire in defence. So one wonders, why do we invest so much is failures rather than those who have the required technique but just lack experience. At manutd, we loan out all our talent...its crazy.
:lol: Gavi has played well against France and Italy's midfields at the age of I think it was 17, while Levitt is turning out for Motherwell at 20 or so. These things are not the same.

Mwooyo

:lol: Gavi has played well against France and Italy's midfields at the age of I think it was 17, while Levitt is turning out for Motherwell at 20 or so. These things are not the same.
The only reason gavi is playing against France or italy is because Barcelona actually play him. They played him enough that he got used to senior level football. In addition, levitt made his debut for wales along time ago. Despite what people think, Ole was not good for academy players. He rarely played any of them even in the freaking league cup. Ole didnt really do much beyond greenwood and even greenwood had plateaud by the time Ole got sacked. I keep hoping for the next manager to love playing young kids. We wouldnt be in this nonsense of begging players like rashford, lingard or pogba to stay and actually deliver. Just play the kids...get rid of those who want to be on social media

Gandalf

I think it is a little harsh to categorize the NK Istra loan as unsuccessful, he didn't pull up any trees but he was there for just over 3 months and had to adjust to playing in a completely different country and culture and despite that managed to make 9 appearances between league and cup. I also liked the fact that it was a loan he actively worked to get himself when the club was happy for him to see out the season in the U23s which shows a bit of ambition and drive. The Charlton loan was a failure but he did not appear to be given a chance.

What the Dundee United loan has demonstrated is that given a run of first team games he has found new levels and gained consistency that he was not showing previously. I would guess the plan right now would be to tack another year on to his deal to extend through 23 with another +1 option to protect our options and see what he can do with another Championship loan next year, if he continues to improve we can work him into the squad or trigger the +1 and look to cash in and if he does not then we can release him having done our due diligence.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The only reason gavi is playing against France or italy is because Barcelona actually play him. They played him enough that he got used to senior level football. In addition, levitt made his debut for wales along time ago. Despite what people think, Ole was not good for academy players. He rarely played any of them even in the freaking league cup. Ole didnt really do much beyond greenwood and even greenwood had plateaud by the time Ole got sacked. I keep hoping for the next manager to love playing young kids. We wouldnt be in this nonsense of begging players like rashford, lingard or pogba to stay and actually deliver. Just play the kids...get rid of those who want to be on social media
Like these posts. I don’t know if Levitt is good enough for United but he does look talented and maybe a player who better coaches could get more from. Looking at him, I think he looks like he could do more in small spaces than Garner and until United start playing midfielders who can do that properly things won’t change much. I would maybe stop short of comparing with Pedri, though! From what Jonathan Northcroft writes, Ten Hag is talking about doing more with the current players, rather than focussing on transfers. Maybe more of the young players would get game time then and under someone who can actually improve them.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I've managed to watch a fair bit of him after catching up on young players out on loan while I had covid (christ I was bored)

What strikes me is his technique on the ball which has little to nothing to do with the level he is playing at. He is one of few that I see play those cross field passes, in a, dare I say, Scholes-esque manner, where they aren't floated up high, they fizz through the air at around 8-9 ft off the ground and get to the opposite wing really quickly.

I don't know if ETH will come in, I suspect though that half of his appeal to the board is that he will be willing to come in and work with what we have first and for players like Garner, Levitt, Laird, Galbraith and Williams, that could mean everything to their United careers but I think they all have games that could suit his style of play. It will be interesting to see what happens but I hope they get given an honest go of it here.

Gandalf

Dylan could be a bit of a late bloomer certainly, the odds are probably against him making it in the first team here but he has really turned his career around over the last 12 months or so. The Charlton loan was a bust and at that point I think he looked a dead cert to be on his way out but since then he has shown a fair bit of commitment and ambition, first pushing for the loan to Istra when the club was happy to let him finish last season in the U23s and then working his socks off to improve and impress in the SPL.

Full disclosure, I am invested in any Welsh players as I am obviously hoping for some to make it to the top level with the likes of Ramsey and Bale at the end of their careers but even allowing for that bias I have been impressed with him lately. I have been able to watch a few full games thanks to the wonders of the interwebs and just the difference in his play and particularly his confidence and leadership on the field has been really evident from the beginning of his loan through to where he is today. I am not sure how much higher his ceiling is but right now he is ascending and at the very least ought to be good value for a Championship loan next year to see if he keeps progressing.

Varun1

No idea if he's better than the Barca lads but agree that we don't give opportunities early enough. Maybe that's because the team is performing so poorly that we can't afford to do that.
We rave about all this young players around the world, the similarity between all of them is that they were given chances very early on and an opportunity to improve.

BigBebe

Nice goal by Levitt, dribbling around two Hearts players in the penalty box then placing it in the corner of the goal.

BigBebe

Is he good enough to be in our squad next season?
I think that he definitely deserves a chance. The Dundee United fans certainly love him.

When he played for our youth teams alongside Garner, I always saw him as the most defensive of the two. Interestingly, the CEIS Football Observatory last week released a report where they ranked players by technical ability in each of Europe's 32 leagues and they put Levitt as best in the Scottish premier league for what they describe as the role of 'Playmaker/creator'.

He has 10 appearances for Wales already so hopefully, he can make an impact in Wales games in June.

The club will need to sort his contract out in the next few weeks if he is going to stay but think it is certainly worth giving him a chance under the new manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.