Dylan Levitt

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No. Hopefully he's there for a year. Loan rules were changed a few years back making it hard to recall a player midway through a loan unless he's not playing. If he can't get minutes at League 1 level he won't at a higher level. Loans shorter than 1 year are still possible but only if covering for an injured player, or begun halfway into a season. Loans are basically 1, or even 2 years now. Clubs loaning out players can no longer enforce shorter loans.
Just none of that is true. We can recall him in January for whatever reason we want.

Gallagher was taken back in January after playing every match and being the best player.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Just none of that is true. We can recall him in January for whatever reason we want.

Gallagher was taken back in January after playing every match and being the best player.
Then loaned to Swansea - assuming Chelsea wanted him being tested at a higher level after being so good in league 1.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Then loaned to Swansea - assuming Chelsea wanted him being tested at a higher level after being so good in league 1.
Charlton were actually in the Championship last year too, they apparently cited they didn’t want him in a relegation battle. It left Charlton pretty fecked though and was a big factor in getting relegated. Their fans absolutely hate Chelsea now.

Even if Levitt is doing too well I’d hope we wouldn’t act in the same manner.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Charlton were actually in the Championship last year too, they apparently cited they didn’t want him in a relegation battle. It left Charlton pretty fecked though and was a big factor in getting relegated. Their fans absolutely hate Chelsea now.

Even if Levitt is doing too well I’d hope we wouldn’t act in the same manner.
Didn’t realise that - that’s appalling

Mark Pawelek

OK. You're right. I, also, guess Chelsea wrote a recall clause into Gallagher's loan contract? Do we write recall clauses into loan deals?

The rules: Players on a season-long loan can be recalled by parent clubs in the January transfer window but only if the two clubs have agreed a recall clause in advance. A loan deal can be cancelled at any time in the season if both clubs concerned agree.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone watched the game? Made his debut in the league cup vs West Ham.

Few posts from their forum and also going by their match day ratings, he started slow and then played well.

Thought we played very well despite the result. Levitt looks like the real deal - there won't be many better midfield pairings in L1 than him and Gilbey.

Levitt looks to be another decent signing, going to be hard to judge on this performance yet hope he gets minutes against Doncaster

Very good second half which we shaded .Barker continues to impress and was our best defender . Levitt Gilbey Doughty will be quality midfield for League one

Levitt - Very poor first 30 mins. Passing was really off and seemed to be scared. Much better after that. looking forward to seeing him in league one

Thought we played pretty well but Premier League players always have that extra time on the ball. Really liked the look of Levitt who looks exactly like a kid schooled in a top academy.

Here’s what I do really like about Levitt so far. He’s making himself available to his defence any time Charlton win the ball back. An outlet that’s been needed.
Also really like that he immediately wants to look forward and play to runners in between the lines.

Wazza4Gaffa

Hooked off at half-time and by the responses from Charlton fans on social media he seems to be having a poor spell there. His career has barely kicked off but I feel comfortable in my initial assessment of him not being a Utd level prospect. Nevertheless I hope he kicks on though and challenges for a spot in the team some day.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes much as I dislike writing off promising players, Levitt seems too good not to have a good career but lacking in the indications of top level quality needed to make it at United. He seems most comfortable when he has time on the ball so he could develop more but he reminds me so much of Norwood and Drinkwater in that his passing stood out at lower levels but not much else did.

Onerealunited

Disappointed to see that he isn’t getting much playing time for Charlton. He has so far this season played 3 games in the league and hasn’t played many minutes the last 5-10 games. Does anyone know whether we have a call back option on him? It might be an idea to loan him out to another team in the league where he can get more minutes

jb8521

Disappointed to see that he isn’t getting much playing time for Charlton. He has so far this season played 3 games in the league and hasn’t played many minutes the last 5-10 games. Does anyone know whether we have a call back option on him? It might be an idea to loan him out to another team in the league where he can get more minutes
He's not involved at the moment because he tested positive for Covid

Onerealunited

He's not involved at the moment because he tested positive for Covid
He hasn’t played a minute the last 9 league games. I’m assuming the coaching team doesn’t see him as a better contributor than the other players they have. Of course the optimal would be that he would get more time after getting well but I doubt it

KevinJoh

Looks like bad loan for him till now. Not sure why, but you never know how will transition to competitive senior football work. He had more games for Wales recently than in League One club. Lets hope after he recovers from Covid that it will be better for him, there is still plenty of time to prove himself and gain trust of his manager. Comparing with Garner and Bernard (although in weaker league) it is not good.

Mickson

Can't get into a League One squad at this point. He's 20 years old. Very worrying. What will happen to him next season?

Bondi77

We must cancel this loan (He needs more playing time for Wales too).
I don’t think Wales are going to give game time to a Utd youth player who cannot make a League 1 squad, they would be in pretty bad shape if they did.

KevinJoh

The best thing for him would be if United can cancel his loan and move him somewhere else. He had covid also, and manager said he has trouble with breath so not playing at the moment and not being in the match squad even is maybe on that, but still he had a few months to get in the team and obviously he is not close.

kundalini

Can't get into a League One squad at this point. He's 20 years old. Very worrying. What will happen to him next season?
- if he has an astonishing 2nd half of the season, he might get a Championship loan

- if he gets some more starts in League One either at Charlton or elsewhere, another League One loan, probably at one of the less glamorous sides in the division, is likely

- if he struggles for playing time in League One then a League Two loan would seem most likely

- possibility he opts to play abroad, though would need to start Ligue 2, La Liga 2, Serie B, possibly a weaker side in Eredivisie, Portugal, Belgium, Scandinavia.

- I would imagine that United will loan him out until the end of his current contract in summer 2022, then either release him on a free transfer or use the +1 year option if things are looking brighter.

The comments on social media after his FA Cup performance in early November were absolutely brutal. Could be a struggle to convince managers to give him playing time in anything other than an emergency. Levitt isn't the only young player to find the transition difficult. This loan has damaged his prospects of making it at United and the chances of United getting a fee for him in the medium term.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Salford might be a good option for him. Doing wonders for Bernard and Wilson it seems.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I really like his quick feet, passing and vision and think he would probably do better on loan in Germany or Spain.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I don’t think Wales are going to give game time to a Utd youth player who cannot make a League 1 squad, they would be in pretty bad shape if they did.
I think he would have a good chance to be in the Wales squad for the Euros if he would play more matches for a club on this level.

Anyway he must change the club in the next days then we will get a better picture of him in the next weeks.

KevinJoh

It is honestly weird what happened to him in Charlton, but you never know with loans. I am pretty sure he had offers from Championship but for some reason we thought that Charlton is good option for him to develop. It is not working, but that doesn't mean that he can't have good one in some other League One team, or in some Championship team. It could be that playing style is not good for him, and that something else did not work for him, relationship with manager or other players. Who knows. He is talented lad, so I would not forget about him, he just need a few games somewhere. We should wait for a few more weeks and than see if we can recall him and move him to Salford for example or some other team where he can have a fresh start.

Bondi77

It just comes down to him being a better option than the existing players at any prospective club that he is going to be loaned to. More often than not a club is trying to get promoted or avoid being relegated and are not going to carry passengers just to benefit another club with a youngsters development unless he can contribute to their cause.
I often hear about the result not being important in U23 or U18 level it is about the improvement in the player which is absolute b/s to me and I am sure it would have been to players like Scholes or Keano; It is all about the player getting better and giving their all to win the game as that is the attitude needed when they go out on loan.

Acole9

Outstanding
It just comes down to him being a better option than the existing players at any prospective club that he is going to be loaned to. More often than not a club is trying to get promoted or avoid being relegated and are not going to carry passengers just to benefit another club with a youngsters development unless he can contribute to their cause.
I often hear about the result not being important in U23 or U18 level it is about the improvement in the player which is absolute b/s to me and I am sure it would have been to players like Scholes or Keano; It is all about the player getting better and giving their all to win the game as that is the attitude needed when they go out on loan.
Totally agree with what you've said here especially the first part. I think some of our fans want the loaned players to have an easy ride. I don't like all these deals in loans where they have to play a set number of games, what if they've been shite.

Some players are unlucky out on loan, maybe this lad might do well somewhere else but if he doesn't you really have to start asking questions why.

TwoSheds

I think you're definitely right about U23 - that should be where you learn the tactical side of things and the mental things that you're going to need in the first team but I'm not sure it's the be all and end all in the U18s. McTominay for example was a little tricksy midget in the U18 and only started to impose himself once he had his growth spurt in the 23s. Wouldn't have been fair to judge him based on his performances at U18 given how much his game and body changed I don't think.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Hello - just a bit of perspective on his loan, he started ½ of our first 8 games (3 league, 1 cup v West Ham, Bowyer is rotating a lot this year), had a good game against Lincoln as his creative passing came off that day, but other than that he's been really poor.

We can't afford to carry a luxury player at the moment and that's what he's been so far, tries things but they rarely come off, gives the ball away a lot and defensively a liability. Unfortunately we just have a lot of midfield options containing more experience and less glaring weaknesses.

I'm sure he's a talented lad but he just doesn't have the right qualities to work in this league at the moment I'm afraid. Think he'd do better with a spell abroad maybe in a more technical, possession based side.

(He's also missed some time with Covid, which he took a while to get over according to Bowyer).

Crashoutcassius

Hello - just a bit of perspective on his loan, he started ½ of our first 8 games (3 league, 1 cup v West Ham, Bowyer is rotating a lot this year), had a good game against Lincoln as his creative passing came off that day, but other than that he's been really poor.

We can't afford to carry a luxury player at the moment and that's what he's been so far, tries things but they rarely come off, gives the ball away a lot and defensively a liability. Unfortunately we just have a lot of midfield options containing more experience and less glaring weaknesses.

I'm sure he's a talented lad but he just doesn't have the right qualities to work in this league at the moment I'm afraid. Think he'd do better with a spell abroad maybe in a more technical, possession based side.

(He's also missed some time with Covid, which he took a while to get over according to Bowyer).
Thank you pal

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
From being in the Wales National Squad before his top flight league debut to struggling to get a game at a League One side :(

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Bowyer:

Bowyer told the South London Press: “He has been a pleasure to work with. He’s a very good player. He works hard every day.

“The thing for me was just the physical side, which will come in time for him.

“Is he going back better than he came? I think yeah. There’s stuff he has taken on board that I’ve passed on to him and he said himself ‘I feel I’m learning here’. He enjoyed it here.

“He is very good on the ball, a very good passer. Was it a little too early for him? I’d probably say it’s the league that was the problem – not him as a player. It was just the physicality of the league. Other leagues aren’t like that – the Premier League and international football.

“I’ve asked myself the question ‘why are you not playing him?’ We brought in Ben Watson, who has all the experience in the world, which made it difficult for him. Ben was playing well.

“I see Dylan in training every day and he is a good passer. I’ve asked myself why he can play for Wales but can’t get in our side? Those are the questions I ask myself. My answer is international football is completely different to League One. International football is you have it, we have it, you have it, we have – it’s not a physical battle with balls going back to front over your head. League One is competing and fighting, you don’t get that in international football.

“It’s a prettier game, international football. That’s what I’ve said to him.

“He’ll go on and do well in his career, I have no doubt whatsoever. He is a very good player.”

TwoSheds

Great interview with Bowyer that, cheers for posting.

nice to hear a manager come out and say that, and he brings up some interesting points.

there is such a void between the U23s and the first team - and perhaps the lower leagues don’t help at all (for some players, who aren’t ready physically). Where do these players get the game time needed?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looking very short on confidence at the moment, some very uncharacteristic sloppy passing from him tonight. Hope he regains his mojo because he's a good little player when he's on song.

KevinJoh

I guess it is normal for both him and Kovar to get some time with U23 to recover confidence and form. Very bad loan for him at Charlton so I hope he will get his confidence back in a few games with U23 and can earn better loan next year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With those quotes by Bowyer you have to wonder why we sent him to league 1 in the first place.

NoPace

With those quotes by Bowyer you have to wonder why we sent him to league 1 in the first place.
Yeah seems like he's a guy who should be in the lower end of the Belgium or Dutch leagues or the Segunda or somewhere like that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looks like United themselves agree with Bowyer's assessment of the situation and sending him out to NK Istra of Croatia on loan.

This is an interesting move. However, Ajax's Hassane Bandé also went out on loan to a Croatian club recently, so there might be something to them for us to loan him there.

NYAS

Looks like United themselves agree with Bowyer's assessment of the situation and sending him out to NK Istra of Croatia on loan.

This is an interesting move. However, Ajax's Hassane Bandé also went out on loan to a Croatian club recently, so there might be something to them for us to loan him there.
If I’m not mistaken this is the guy who broke the Filip Stevanovic to United story, who subsequently ended up at the other “Manchester”. I’d be cautious for now and wait for better sources.