Dystopia is now!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Omni Consumer Products, Umbrella Corporation and Weyland Yutani must be happy with this news.

Boy am I glad I live in Europe when I read stuff like this.
For all its faults, the EU has done a lot of good when it comes to consumer rights and protections.

The zones would initially operate with the oversight of their location counties, but would eventually take over county duties and become independent governmental bodies.

The zones would have three-member supervisor boards with the same powers as county commissioners. The businesses would maintain significant control over board membership.
This is chilling. And some should take note that this was proposed by a Democrat. The Democrats are not going to save the left in the US.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how long it takes you to get out from the middle to the outskirts. Maybe if you could crawl through your window into the next house and so on 4 times over you eventually get to see the Sun.

Smores

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Sounds like some of the old mill villages we had in England like Saltaire. The community and companies formally being one.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the tech giants may create better communities.

Saltaire was the only good one, I think. Maybe Bournville too. But Salt didn't allow any pubs so there was that.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Sounds like some of the old mill villages we had in England like Saltaire. The community and companies formally being one.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the tech giants may create better communities.
Think Peter Thiel, of the more public billionaires, is a big proponent of this. Marketplace of society/governance, only with current/future times in mind

caid

Think Peter Thiel, of the more public billionaires, is a big proponent of this. Marketplace of society/governance, only with current/future times in mind
Why am i not surprised. That guy creeps me the hell out

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Saltaire was the only good one, I think. Maybe Bournville too. But Salt didn't allow any pubs so there was that.
Port Sunlight as well?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The Microsoft campus in Seattle is basically just a huge Microsoft town, and it’s pretty sweet to be fair.

Of course places tend to look nice when you can restrict them to fairly rich people.

RedTiger

Half mast

Fluctuation0161

Yes and thousands of workers died fighting for basic workers rights not long after those times.

https://www.historycrunch.com/working-conditions-in-the-industrial-revolution.html#/

How long before the tech companies would kick you out the community of you don't work for them anymore? Have you looked into Amazon's current treatment of workers?

Amazon Town: It's a grim thought.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Read about that effort by Henry Ford to build a town in the Amazon if you want to see how grim it can get.

Smores

Yes and thousands of workers died fighting for basic workers rights not long after those times.

https://www.historycrunch.com/working-conditions-in-the-industrial-revolution.html#/

How long before the tech companies would kick you out the community of you don't work for them anymore? Have you looked into Amazon's current treatment of workers?

Amazon Town: It's a grim thought.
Yeah I'm well aware of the downsides I'm from a mill town myself. I don't think such an experiment would mean a revert to child labour though, it's still operating within national law.

If Amazon fire you then you get transfered to Poundland or Home Bargains.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah I'm well aware of the downsides I'm from a mill town myself. I don't think such an experiment would mean a revert to child labour though, it's still operating within national law.

If Amazon fire you then you get transfered to Poundland or Home Bargains.
Living in a mill town in 2021 is not really comparable is it though? It is alot like canals, they used to be horrible dirty places of graft and hardship. Now they are for a leisurely boat, stroll or bike ride!

Your idea brings a whole new meaning to Amazon Prime. Might mean the unflavoured non-prime workers can live in a large Amazon cardboard box with lots of excess padding. :lol: