Early Summer Transfer Window Predictions

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone got any predictions for the summer transfer window before the rumours really start hotting up and certain moves become obvious?

Some of mine (warning some of what you're about to read may be triggering....)

In's
Lingard - we end up pricing him out of a move to West Ham so he returns
Andreas - Lazio opt not to turn his loan into a permanent move so he also returns

Out's
De Gea - will be a loan move late in the window once it becomes clear he'll start the season as number 2 causing him to get Mendes to find him a new club
Cavani - ok this one is kinda already being telegraphed but he chooses to leave, doesn't go back to South America though, joins another European side instead
Dalot - not 100% convinced about this one but there's been rumours Milan would like him to stay and wanted to end the post on a positive note :)

BaillyBaillyBailly

My belief based on what is being reported by reputable sources is that the club will look to make 2 signings this summer. Probably with a total spend of ~£100m.

If you look at what Fabrizio Romano and Carl Anka (fairly reputable sources) are saying they believe a deal for Sancho is part way done and that the fee would be in the region of £60m
I think they will then look to spend ~£40m on a DM (Bissouma would be an example of an option but I haven't seen anyone legit reporting this).

If Lingard goes to West Ham on a permanent I could see some sort of deal involving Lingard+cash being done for Rice (I think West Ham are aware they can't keep hold of him moving forward). These I think are the club's priorities.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If Bailly leaves, which is being reported, then a CB would need to be purchased.
If De Gea leaves a GK would need to be purchased, or Romero stays (although his relationship with the club now seems damaged).

Lastly, I think that Haaland probably has no interest in coming to united when there are better options for him elsewhere (City and Real could pay him the same as us and are in a better overall position). However, if the club was made aware by Dortmund that Haaland was available for somewhere in the region of £140-160m I wouldn't be completely shocked if they made a move for him. That is not to say I think it likely

Bondi77

Bailly possibly departing and Milenkovic in if we get him on the cheap
Cavani gone and no one will notice and Mason and Martial will be our CF options moving forward
Sancho a possible in as we were interested last year but t he price will have to drop massively IMO
All the loaned will go out again with the youngsters for experience and the others til we can get a buyer.
I am really interested in what happens in the GK department as Romero will be gone and if big Dave is not happy then we would have to get another GK anyway.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Lingard, Pereira, Chong, Dalot, Pogba, Cavani, DDG out
Williams, Garner out pl loan

Rice for Jesse
Sancho and he’s going to be so good. :drool:
Milenkovic because he’s a cheap and improving international with a lot of experience.
Ings - Toney or any stopgap striker solution
I think Toney would be a sweet under the radar signing. He’s a big mobile guy with a good touch and decent finishing. DCL regen in the championship.

I reckon that’ll be it. I think Amad and Hannibal will be full time first team next year. Hugil might be getting called up soon if we don’t sign a striker and we get any injuries.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

I could see the obvious guys leave, cavani, lingard, maybe some fringe players.

The big possible outs are pogba and ddg. If pogba leaves we badly need to replace that creativity in cm. I could see a deal happen, it could be structured for future money even if clubs are cash poor.

If pogba stays, rice and Sancho would be an okay summer. If he goes we need more craft in cm.

The elephant in the room is we need a world class striker if we are to be one of the top teams, and that seems unlikely to happen this summer

buckooo1978

Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Dalot and De Gea all to leave with De Gea going on a heavily subsidised deal

I hope we have 3/4 lined up but I've no idea who. Sancho seems most obvious given interest last year

RORY65

Given the somewhat inefficient way we seem to do business (hopefully the restructuring will help with that) and the impact of the pandemic on finances I wouldn't expect to see too much business, maybe a couple of incomings. I would consider the priority to be a holding midfielder but, barring the Rice story which seemed a bit tenuous, it hasn't seemed to be one of the primary areas of focus.

I suspect the biggest signing will be at centre back given it's the one position where there seem to be several targets who are available for significant but doable fees while I would also anticipate that we will get in a relatively affordable attacking option (I can't see the likes of Haaland or Sancho happening) to add some depth but also to keep our options open for future windows. With regards to outgoings I imagine one of Tuanzebe or Bailly will go as will Lingard, Cavani and potentially Mata while I would guess that one of Williams or Dalot as well as Pereira will be out on loan next year. I'm not sure there is much of a market for De Gea or Pogba given the fees we would want and the contracts they would demand so I've actually predicted that both of them will stay.

In:
Centre back (e.g. Pau Torres, Jules Kounde, Nikola Milenkovic etc.)
Forward (e.g. Ismaila Sarr, Patson Daka, Moussa Dembele etc.)
1 or 2 less known youngsters

Out:
Bailly/Tuanzebe
Dalot/Williams (loan)
Lingard
Cavani
Pereira (loan)
Few young players out on loan

davidmichael

I think we’ll bring in three players which will be a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right winger which will most likely be based on everything being reported Sancho, Rice and Milenkovic which works out right price wise with what The Athletic reported too.

It looks likely now that De Gea will be leaving in the summer as he’s now very much our number two goalkeeper and his wife won’t stand for him sitting on the bench when he could be with her and their newborn baby, Henderson is better all round so getting De Gea’s £375K a week off the wage bill will be massive for us.

I think we’ll also see Romero, Dalot, Jones, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Chong all leave too with Lingard thrown in to a deal for Rice which is probably around another £600-£700K a week off the wage bill as well. We’ve got Laird, Tuanzebe, Mengi, Garner, Mejbri, Diallo, Pellestri, Shoretire, McNeil and Hugill all coming through to cover those that depart.

I think depending on if Milenkovic settled quickly and Rice stepped up due to being around better players there’s a great chance we’d win a trophy or two next season and we’d definitely close the gap to City, I have no doubt Sancho would settle quickly and Sancho coming in would mean Greenwood playing centrally to challenge Martial and Cavani.

A starting eleven of Henderson, AWB, Milenkovic, Maguire, Shaw, Rice, Pogba, Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford, Greenwood/Martial/Cavani is a match for anyone in the league and getting to play Fernandes and Pogba in the same team with Rice covering them means a lot more creativity in our game especially with Sancho giving balance on the right too.

SparkedIntoLife

I think Pogba and De Gea will both stay. The former because we won't get enough for him to warrant losing his quality, so the powers that be might deem it more acceptable to get another year from him and then lose him on a free. The latter because no one will want him for the wages he's on. I think we'll also keep Bailly and Matic another year to let Mengi and Garner develop more by staying out on loan.

Due to the pandemic, it'll be a fairly conservative window. I can see us, unfortunately, subsidising some of the departing player's wages. If we do sign anyone else bar the below two, it may be a young CD like Kossounou or Bade or a young DM.

IN:
Jadon Sancho (55m plus Donny van de Beek)
Danny Ings (20m)
(Another couple of good academy signings)

OUT:
Phil Jones (released/minimal fee)
Edinson Cavani (won't renew)
Juan Mata (released)
Lee Grant (released)
Sergio Romero (released)
Donny van de Beek (part exchange with Dortmund for Sancho)
Jesse Lingard (25m)
Andreas Pereira (5m)
Diogo Dalot (10m)
Joel Castro Pereira (released)
Chong (5m)
Mengi/Garner/Pellistri/Elanga/Laird/Galbraith/Neville/Kovar/Levitt/Bernard et al (loan)

So, first team squad -
GK: Henderson, De Gea, Bishop
RB: Wan-Bissaka, Williams
LB: Shaw, Telles
CD: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe
CM: Pogba, Fred, McTominay, Matic
AM: Bruno Fernandes, Mejbri, Shoretire
RW: Sancho, Greenwood, Diallo
LW: Rashford, James
ST: Martial, Ings

Coops73

My early prediction is that there’ll be a lot of huffing and puffing, rumours, counter rumours, known unknowns, deadlines, demands, bullshit, Raiola hauling his fat arse around europe...again, Fabrizio tweets...every 20 minutes, the euros will get in the way, covid will get in the way, Dortmund will say you love to see it and United fans will ultimately be disappointed and this place will be losing its shit come 31 August................and Lingard to West Ham.

You’re welcome.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ins:
  • Sancho
  • Trippier
  • Ben White
Out:
  • Lingard
  • Cavani
  • Dalot
  • Pereira
  • Jones
  • Mata
  • Chong
  • Tuanzebe or Bailly
Pogba to stay for his final year. De Gea to stay due to contract but is backup. Elsewhere, Kane and Haaland stay. Messi moves to PSG or City.

RkkMan

My guesses on Ins:
Sam Johnstone- £10m
Pau Torres- £25-30m+ Bailly
Sancho- £70m+£10m add ons
Trippier- £15m
Outs:
Dalot- £15m
De Gea- Loan like Alexis with him leaving completely in a year
Jones, Mata, Cavani, Romero, Grant, Joel Pereira- Released
Laird, Bishop, Mengi, Williams, Garner, Chong, Levitt, Pellistri- Loans
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Net spend of £70-80m completely doable and what I reckon happens based on links to players and other circumstances like contracts etc

Last edited:

slored1

In:
Anguissa on loan, Trippier, Kounde, Ousmane Dembele on loan + Andreas comes back.

Out:
Lingard, Dalot, Romero, Cavani, Mata, Williams on loan, Bailly and some youngsters.

Dorris

My guesses on Ins:
Sam Johnstone- £10m
Trippier- £15m
Outs:
Dalot- £15m
Jones, Mata, Cavani, Romero, Grant- Released
Laird, Bishop, Mengi, Garner, Chong, Levitt, Pellistri- Loans
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Net spend of £70-80m completely doable and what I reckon happens based on links to players and other circumstances like contracts etc
Similar to what I’m expecting. Think we’ll get a cut price striker though, maybe someone like Ings for 15-20m. Can’t see us going into next season with just martial and greenwood.

RkkMan

Similar to what I’m expecting. Think we’ll get a cut price striker though, maybe someone like Ings for 15-20m. Can’t see us going into next season with just martial and greenwood.
Hmm maybe a cut price ST instead of a RB then and Laird stays in the first team as I don't see us getting 5 first team players. I'd personally be okay with Greenwood/Martial as I think the former has massive potential and will score goals with Sancho/Rashford/Bruno/Pogba creating chances for him and the latter despite not being as good as we hoped can't have a worse season than this he'll be better next season but more of a squad player

UpWithRivers

The way United work I would say they think that we have already solved RW with Amad and Greenwood. They will focus on -

Cavani replacement - probably Silva (40 mill) or last minute Aguero bid
Pogba replacement probably Rice (70 mill) if not Bissouma
Tuanzebe replacement - I think Ole prefers Bailly and doesn't like Tuanzebe for some reason. We will sign whoever's cheap Milenkovic (20 mill) probably
Total In- 130

Sales will be Pogba (50mill), Lingard (25 mill), Dalot(10 mill), Tuanzebe(10mill)
Total Sales - 95 mill

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My guesses on Ins:
Sam Johnstone- £10m
Trippier- £15m
Outs:
Dalot- £15m
Jones, Mata, Cavani, Romero, Grant- Released
Laird, Bishop, Mengi, Williams, Garner, Chong, Levitt, Pellistri- Loans
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
This is the most realistic thing on here. Though I think you have inflated the amount we would receive for Dalot and Lingard. I think it'll be around 10 and 20 million respectively. Also think Chong will probably be sold.

King7Eric

The way United work I would say they think that we have already solved RW with Amad and Greenwood. They will focus on -

Cavani replacement - probably Silva (40 mill) or last minute Aguero bid
Pogba replacement probably Rice (70 mill) if not Bissouma
Tuanzebe replacement - I think Ole prefers Bailly and doesn't like Tuanzebe for some reason. We will sign whoever's cheap Milenkovic (20 mill) probably
Total In- 130

Sales will be Pogba (50mill), Lingard (25 mill), Dalot(10 mill), Tuanzebe(10mill) and Johnstone.
Total Sales - 95 mill
That would be some stellar work, selling a player who is contracted to WBA.

RkkMan

This is the most realistic thing on here. Though I think you have inflated the amount we would receive for Dalot and Lingard. I think it'll be around 10 and 20 million respectively. Also think Chong will probably be sold.
Maybe Dalot's fee could be lower but he's young enough to fetch majority of what we paid for him apparently Ancelotti has him as his top RB target maybe we could extort them like with Schneiderlin. No chance we get only £20m for Lingard on current form we can get more than that from a team who paid £25m for Benhrama who's done feck all just to free up a loan space for Lingard who's actually had an impact and is likely to go to the Euros. Plus it's been reported in the media that's our price tag. Lowest he'll go for is £25m IMO

Drizzle

With a limited budget, we'll only be able to completely sort 2 positions out of the 5 we need (CB, DM, RW, ST, RB). 3 if we're really smart.

We know we absolutely need a CB. Only Lindelof and Maguire are good / reliable enough. Reckon we'll spend £25-40m on a CB at a similar level with different characteristics. White, Torres etc. 4th choice will be Tuanzebe. We'll try to shift Bailly and Jones.

Looks like Cavani is going. If so there is no way that Ole will want to go into next season with Martial and Greenwood as our only striker options. And assuming we're not getting Haaland that means another cheap/mid-priced striker coming in. Possibly an experienced striker like Ings, or another Cavani type deal. Maybe £20-40m. They'll back Greenwood to come good so won't go big in this area unless it's Haaland or Kane.

I think this means no Sancho. If Cavani stays I think we'll leave strikers and go for Sancho. I think that's why we're trying to keep him. But if he goes we just don't have the money. Maybe a cheaper punt on the RW and hope Amad comes good?

If Pogba goes we'll replace him with a DM. It won't be Rice, too expensive. We're not getting that much for Pogba anyway. Maybe Bissouma?

That's it. CB, either RW or ST depending on Cavani, and replace Pogba if he goes.

Oh and promote some youth like Mejbri, Elanga and maybe Laird to provide RB cover.

tugger

I think with the structural changes at the club and Riggs and Murtough installed as our long awaited DoF, we are in for big changes.

Data analysts, scientists and business professionals seem to be all the rage, with the numbers of back office staff exploding. As a result I can see us really modernising our approach and looking long term. I know a lot have a dislike for Dortmund, but I think we will look to emulate them. They have Haaland, they have Reyna, they have clearly seen the offspring of former pros is an untapped market. We have made a start already, signing Robbie Savage’s son. I think our approach this summer will be two fold. Firstly, a statement signing as usual, giving Ole an obvious backing and showing we are still relevant, whilst secondly, looking to the future. Ole will also continue to offload the deadwood, as well as get rid of De Gea if he can find a suitor.

As a result-

Out:
Lingard
Romero
De Gea
Jones
Dalot

In:
Sancho
Robbie Savage
Alfie-Inge Haaland
Claudio Reyna

The last three will be kidnapped from their homes in the dead of night and forced to breed with each other endlessly in a secret United lab/conference room at OT. Their offspring would ensure United would have a team of genetically superior players come the 2040s.

The players would have the ability and stature of Erling Haaland, with Gio Reyna’s ability to score worldies only against Bremen (we will transfer to the Bundesliga to take advantage of this) and Robbie Savage’s hair.

Reactions: Invictus

King7Eric

Maybe Dalot's fee could be lower but he's young enough to fetch majority of what we paid for him apparently Ancelotti has him as his top RB target maybe we could extort them like with Schneiderlin. No chance we get only £20m for Lingard on current form we can get more than that from a team who paid £25m for Benhrama who's done feck all just to free up a loan space for Lingard who's actually had an impact and is likely to go to the Euros. Plus it's been reported in the media that's our price tag. Lowest he'll go for is £25m IMO
The thing with Lingard is he only has a year left on his contract. He's 28, so basically, no re-sale value, his wages are upwards of 100k per week and all the buying clubs know we don't really want to keep him here. All these factors weaken our hand imo. I'd be delighted if we could get 30 million for him, but I think more realistically, it'll be around 20-25.

RkkMan

The thing with Lingard is he only has a year left on his contract. He's 28, so basically, no re-sale value, his wages are upwards of 100k per week and all the buying clubs know we don't really want to keep him here. All these factors weaken our hand imo. I'd be delighted if we could get 30 million for him, but I think more realistically, it'll be around 20-25.
Apparently West Ham aren't the only club after him a bidding war will up his fee a bit and we refused to invoke an option to buy for £15m because we were confident he'd generate a higher fee if we sold him no chance we sell him for just an extra £5m on top of that. £25-30m will be the final fee probably with some bonuses

King7Eric

Apparently West Ham aren't the only club after him a bidding war will up his fee a bit and we refused to invoke an option to buy for £15m because we were confident he'd generate a higher fee if we sold him no chance we sell him for just an extra £5m on top of that. £25-30m will be the final fee probably with some bonuses
Well hopefully you're right. Let's see.