Economically realistic options: DM, CB, RW, CF

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We can carry on grouping our unwanted (or not-good-enough) players to come up with some hypothetical jackpot of money, but realistically, if we assume we have about a 100m all in all to spend this summer (which is maybe optimistic), who could we be looking at?

I don't expect a Haaland, a Sancho, a Varane, or even an Ndidi (given what we paid for Harry).

There are quite a few players rumoured to be on our radar for the centre back position and none of them are super expensive, but they could still cost 30-40m which, in this climate, is quite a lot. And of course there'll be a premium on everyone from within the league (i.e. Ben White).

So, Asda, not Waitrose. Or some exotic foreign super markets that have a lovely exchange rate.

Who are the options?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Getting two of those four is already be considered as an upgrade of our team. Whichever we end up is fine because getting two of those four is better than our last summer where we didn't upgrade or improve our XI.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Getting two of those four is already be considered as an upgrade of our team. Whichever we end up is fine because getting two of those four is better than our last summer where we didn't upgrade or improve our XI.
It would be. The least I'd expect is for us to sign a CB partner for Maguire and an OK striker (as in not great).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Our squad would be much better off with one £100m player than it would be with four £25m players. We’ve already got a glut of players around that quality band. We need players who are going to make an immediate impact on our first XI rather than give us depth. Depth should always come by displacing current first XI players rather than buying their understudies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
With that budget?

DM: Koopmeiners
CB: Nathan Collins
RW: No idea. Marcus Edwards? Chukwueze?
CF: Danny Ings

Our squad would be much better off with one £100m player than it would be with four £25m players. We’ve already got a glut of players around that quality band. We need players who are going to make an immediate impact on our first XI rather than give us depth. Depth should always come by displacing current first XI players rather than buying their understudies.
I agree. In addition. We should be able to get depth from buying young players, or promoting youth (clearly over a period of time). We shouldn’t be spending the amount of money we have on the likes of Matic, Fred, Bailly.

Abraxas

I think it depends what the scouting has pulled up. Which hasn't always been fantastic in first team terms. There haven't been too many we've unearthed just before they hit the big time that have really gone on to excel. We've either got what we expected, a decent player, or we've suffered.

I wouldn't fancy buying 4 players just to say we've filled a position unless they are better than what we have, or with the potential to be. I would much rather buy a quality player in one position. Because if it's a relatively low risk signing you can then identify that the position is solved for the time being, we can hope some of our youth comes through into the squad to offer competition in our weaker positions, or make do with what we have.

The danger of buying 4 guys that are very high risk is if the success rate is low we continue to bloat our squad with average players on high wages because all players going to Man Utd get good wages compared to the teams they were previously associated with. Which means they are difficult to move on if they have to fall back to that level. That's my issue with the Ben White, or Dutch league style signings

It's going to be a very tricky balance this summer with funds looking the way they do.

sparx99

CB - Milenkovic (1yr on deal)

RB - Trippier

DM - Zakaria (1yr on deal)

RW - Leon Bailey/Lucas Ocampos/Odegaard/Bryan Gil/???

ST - Patson Daka (coming from Austrian league and Salzburg often have release clauses built in)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't disagree. I just don't think we'll be buying one stellar player, let alone two. And you can buy clever as well - Vidic, Evra, Nani. Look at Robertson, Fabinho. It's not impossible to buy clever.

We also don't have some types of players that have limited us tactically, so these positions are not just about depth, but tactical flexibility and balance. Without Cavani, we have no striker, there is not one bona fide winger in the squad though James may become one eventually and Amad is yet to be integrated proper. There is no DM outside of a rapidly declining Matic. The centre back issue is well documented too.

Of course I'd rather we fix these issues with proven top quality, but we've watched this show for too long to expect that to happen.

With that budget?

I could see us buy someone like Ings. That would at least be an improvement on chasing Josh King! I doubt we'll take too much of a risk with a centre back as it's presumably for the first XI. I keep hearing people speak about Koopmeiners - haven't seen him at all. Seeing as he's been linked to Leeds I would expect he's in the 20-30m bracket? Apparently Edwards has a buy-out clause too.

Abraxas

Ings would be a clever one if he's available for a sensible price. That's quite a low risk signing that would make sense as we continue to blood some of our players in that position - Greenwood, Hughill coming through. He's not exactly old either but the right age to see what happens with these guys.

He seems to have the right blend of skills for that role in our team, he plays at a pressing side, he's got a presence about him, not afraid to make runs, can score at this level. A lot of boxes ticked. I guess injuries would be the one concern.

We're probably not getting Haaland and there are so few names that really stand out for that role.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
RB - Trippier - 10m
ST - Nobody, Martial and Greenwood to rotate (maybe Cavani stays)
RW - Sancho - 65m
CDM - Nobody, fred/
McTominay/ Matic/ Pogba/VdB to rotate between the holding 2
CB - White - 30m

Something like this probably. Likely look at the free agent market for some positions if needed. I still think we do Sancho this summer tbh.

Siorac

Yes, this. No more squad players who "can do a job". We probably won't be able to fix all the deficiencies in the squad in one summer and that's unfortunate but that's how it is. Our midfield doesn't need two more McTominays, it needs one top class player.

AgentSmith

CB - Milenkovic = £30 million
CDM - Bissouma = £40 million
RW - Raphinha = £30 million + Dan James
CF - Memphis = Free

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
DM: T.Delaney
CB: P.Torres/Romagnoli
RW: Thauvin
CF: Depay/Aguero
Thauvin is going to Napoli I think.
Depay is going to Barca it seems, and he hardly fits Ole's cultural-boot (nor is he a striker).
The Aguero bit made me laugh. Not least with them building him a statue :lol: probably going to Barca too.
Delaney is 30 years old. A Jose signing.

Torres and Romagnoli options. The latter would probably command quite the fee.

CF - Memphis = Free
*liked*

Drz

CB: Loic Badé (Lens)
DM: Tchouameni (Monaco)
RW: Raphinha (Leeds)
ST: A. Silva (Frankfurt) or R. Jimenez (Wolves)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree with all of this

ROFLUTION

Ings would be a sensible signing + a new CB. Dont think its the end of the World if we dont get a DM or RW.

hobbers

RB: Aarons or Trippier
CB: White
ST: Ings if we're lucky

And that'll probably be it. Wouldn't be surprised if we dont bother with a DM or a RW yet again. I mean why would you when we can bring Lingard back and just give Matic and Mata another extension :lol: :(

If Pogba goes we'll go in for someone like Raphinha, even just for PR reasons.

Anyway, so long as we're all mentally geared up for a miserable summer it shouldn't be as bad as last year.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100% agree.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The idea you could get Ben White for £30m unless Brighton go down :lol:

Same with Bissouma for £40m tbf although that would shock me less. He at least might be ready to go immediately into our first XI too, although I'm not sure. You'd hope he's like a Fred that can shoot but I'm not fully convinced.

Also Trippier can feck right off. Don't see the point of spending money on someone his age who wouldn't really improve us. Rather take a punt on a younger player or maybe even Laird.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How much would Celtic want for Edouard? Said it a few times on here but he'd be my (relatively) cheap striker option.

Tiber

We can carry on grouping our unwanted (or not-good-enough) players to come up with some hypothetical jackpot of money, but realistically, if we assume we have about a 100m all in all to spend this summer (which is maybe optimistic), who could we be looking at?

I don't expect a Haaland, a Sancho, a Varane, or even an Ndidi (given what we paid for Harry).

There are quite a few players rumoured to be on our radar for the centre back position and none of them are super expensive, but they could still cost 30-40m which, in this climate, is quite a lot. And of course there'll be a premium on everyone from within the league (i.e. Ben White).

So, Asda, not Waitrose. Or some exotic foreign super markets that have a lovely exchange rate.

Who are the options?
Doubt we would win the league even if we did sign Varane and Sancho nevermind value alternatives

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Trossard could be a good option for the left as a back-up/rotation for Rashford.

Lentwood

We need quality over quantity now. We have a base squad of at least two above average players in nearly every position.

There are posters who think you need XI world-class superstars to win trophies but you really don't. For example, if we could get someone like Haaland to turn those draws into wins we could be formidable.

We don't lose many games, we don't concede many goals (take out the first three games and our defensive record is very good). That gives us an excellent base to build on. Therefore, it would be Sancho or Haaland for me this Summer, all in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How much would Celtic want for Edouard? Said it a few times on here but he'd be my (relatively) cheap striker option.
Quick search: Linked to West Ham 35m, linked to Villa 20m. Think he's got a year left on his deal, so probably 20m.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
DM: Bissouma
RW: Pedro Neto (but can play across the front line).

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
£100m is very optimistic.

I would genuinely not be surprised if we didn't sign anyone.

TheReligion

Abusive
CF - Memphis = Free
Raphinha is a cracking shout. I like him and Pedro Neto for the wide areas.

I'm a big fan of Josh DaSilva of Brentford for a good CM option. Reminds me of Pogba.

Eli Zee

Alright, I could see us filling every
Position listed here with
Really good, quality signings
I know we have issues at RW, CB, ST, CDM
Let's trust Woodward to get all 4 positions

Filled, just have faith.
Okay? Oh and one more thing,
Ole's targets will surely be signed
Lessons have been learned
Strong, strategic signings are on the way

Definitely gonna be a summer to remember
As we come back to our glory days
You just have to trust Woodward

in all realness, we do need, in my Opinion, a ST and a RW. Martial doesn't cut it. Cavani is leaving if im not mistaken. That leaves Rashford, dan James (also not exactly a high tier player), and a struggling martial on the forward line. No team is winning championships with this forward line.

CDM is next most important for me - if we can play without double pivot and have another CM contributing more offensively, that would make things easier for our offense also.

Rafinha, Soucek, Ings are decent options. I wish we could splurge the money on Haaland or Sancho but probably can't. Better to invest in having a well balanced squad and then get upgrades instead of getting one big signing and missing out on filling other roles.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
With that budget?

That looks more like a Newcastle United summer window than a Manchester United one.

We should be able to get Varane & Sancho for about £150m. Then sell Lingard & some other deadwood & look to get Zakaria, who is coming into the last year of his contract.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Don't be daft.
All I'm saying is, prepare to be let down.

Don't forget we've had a season PRE-COVID where we only signed one player.

Last summer we spent a little bit, but we hadn't had the full impact of Covid finances yet.

This club is a money-making business for The Glazers. If they think they can still get Top 4 again next season with the squad we've got, they'll tighten the purse strings.

Zoo

For DM my first choice would be Declan Rice but he’s English, came through the West Ham academy and so would probably cost a fortune and be a long transfer saga.

The alternative would be Bissouma who is impressing more and more. In comparison to someone like Ndidi (fantastic ball winner, not so much at the rest) he can also seriously play. He won’t have the English tax like Rice and shouldn’t be difficult to get out of Brighton.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That looks more like a Newcastle United summer window than a Manchester United one.

We should be able to get Varane & Sancho for about £150m. Then sell Lingard & some other deadwood & look to get Zakaria, who is coming into the last year of his contract.
I was going based off the OPs rules tbf.

TheReligion

Abusive
All I'm saying is, prepare to be let down.

Don't forget we've had a season PRE-COVID where we only signed one player.

Last summer we spent a little bit, but we hadn't had the full impact of Covid finances yet.

This club is a money-making business for The Glazers. If they think they can still get Top 4 again next season with the squad we've got, they'll tighten the purse strings.
Only signed one player? When was that?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I was going based off the OPs rules tbf.
And it was much appreciated. Else it would just be like the other fantasy threads. I dabble there too, but I'm also interested in what's realistic :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Without breaking the bank (for an EPL club) going to pick three players per position.

DM:
  1. Guido Rodriguez : would be a great pick. He's probably reaching his career peak and is an overall balanced and aggressive midfielder.
  2. Orel Mangala: The one with great potential. Not as good as Guido but has the potential to improve.
  3. Ibrahim Sangaré: a good choice because we don't have any defensive midfielder with his profile.
CB:
  1. Christian Romero: would be a fantastic acquisiton, a very complete defender.
  2. Benoît Badiashile: tons of potential, good aerial and physical game, would be ready for EPL.
  3. Niko Elvedi: entering the career plateau, a very concentrated and determined defender.
RW:
  1. Gabriel Veron: only 18 y.o! And already playing amazing football. In the Covid context they can't afford to speculate too much.
  2. Viktro Tsygnakov: I actually enjoyed everytime I've seen him play. Seems ready to step up.
  3. Bryan Mbeumo: it might be too much of a climb in his career, but his ability and potential is amazing.
CF:
  1. Sasa Kalajdzic: has the physique for EPL and seems ready to step up and score.
  2. El Nesri: great positional awareness and inteligence without the ball.
  3. Amine Gouiri: tons of potential. Skilled, versatile and always on the movewhich creates the opposition defense some problems.

Crustanoid

It’s not enough for the player to be a bargain though.

We’ve had the chance to sign players for less money (ie Upamecano) but cocked it up.

It’s whether our owners start caring or our CEO/ transfer negotiators become competent, which is not likely to happen.