Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Keefy18

I think you are in the wrong film mate:)
I get it, we've a frustrated fan base and frustration causes irrational thinking.

We all want a singular entity to blame and to focus that anger on. I feel the same as the rest of the fan base and trust me after the Cardiff result in May I was delighted to see the back of the season, well n truly exhausted from it all.

When people are irrational they create a laser focus on one single thing as the root cause of all their anger & frustration. They are laser focused on that need... I mean, I've lost count on how many times I've read on here that "we need to be rid of Ed" or "We need to be rid of the Glazers".

Yet ignore the fact that Ferguson dealt with exactly the same board and was successful.

They became majority owners in 2005, from the 2006-07 season Ferguson nearly won 5 league titles on the bounce with them as owners but for 1 fecking point in the 09-10 season. He won the other 4 league titles available and then added a final one in 2013!

the chameleon

Well you should know then that Edwards wasn't blamed for failing managers previously, why is Woodward now suddenly blamed?

Its F'N mental!! It's has no logic to it... Stop and think for a second before reply

Ed Woodward has the same role as Gill before him and Kenyon prior and Edwards before that. The structure is entirely the same as it has been for 70 odd years...

Edwards not blamed, even though we were legit midtable and in a relegation battle a few times.
Kenyon forgotten about pretty much
Gill was a genius to some which is such bull! He was a jammy git and it was all about timing and he sponged off of Ferguson's abilities! He was an accountant just like Ed Woodward!

All I'm posting is common feckin sense but our supporters just want someone to blame without actually thinking about our history, his job and what it entails!
You keep rehashing the same point.

I gave you a breakdown on a previous post. The managers and players have failed on a micro level. However, Ed has failed on macro level for the club.

Macro level failures generally tend be correlated with micro level failures. He can hire and fire people like Judge. He can bring a new Director of Football.

He’s had 6 years at the job. And he’s failed at an epic level.

He’s got a list of things wrong. Setting a structure is critical.

I would go as far as say he’s the biggest villain in the history of the club. After all, the Glazers had almost given up on a hostile takeover. But a young upstart accountant by the name Edward Woodward had a plan...

Answer this. Do you think Woodward should be given continued responsibility for control of Man Utd?

Would you like the club to have an improved structure?

The fact is most of your posts are defending Woodward. I’m curious to get to the root of your grand delusions old sir!

Keefy18

You keep rehashing the same point.

I gave you a breakdown on a previous post. The managers and players have failed on a micro level. However, Ed has failed on macro level for the club.

Macro level failures generally tend be correlated with micro level failures. He can hire and fire people like Judge. He can bring a new Director of Football.

He’s had 6 years at the job. And he’s failed at an epic level.

He’s got a list of things wrong. Setting a structure is critical.

I would go as far as say he’s the biggest villain in the history of the club. After all, the Glazers had almost given up on a hostile takeover. But a young upstart accountant by the name Edward Woodward had a plan...

Answer this. Do you think Woodward should be given continued responsibility for control of Man Utd?

Would you like the club to have an improved structure?

The fact is most of your posts are defending Woodward. I’m curious to get to the root of your grand delusions old sir!
I rehash it because folks don't want to admit the feckin obvious that their sentiments are irrational and illogical. Being frustrated and illogical go hand in hand.

This micro / macro stuff is nonsense. As CEO he has to support his managers decisions and by an large he has.

Again to "rehash my point" - Do you want to be the first to try worm your way out of the Fellaini situation and try use rational logic and blame the actual root cause of the problem? I'll give you a hint, its not Woodward or as you hilariously call him " the biggest villain in the history of the club".

Jose publicly supports Fellaini staying at the club, Jose publicly demands he be given a new contract.
As CEO, Woodward clearly doesn't rate him or at least that highly... as his renewal is left to the very last day of his contract.
  • The manager that demands an average player be kept and rewarded with an extended contract on higher salary?
  • The CEO who is just supporting his manager?
So I ask again, who is to blame in that scenario?

Now remember, throughout this thread caftards are adamant that Woodward is apparently over ruling his managers, that he is to singularly blame for over paying players and cause of our inflated salary bill also and as a side note apparently the managers have ZERO input to who stays / goes and deciding of salaries....

And to answer your question briefly, no. If Ed goes our problems aren't going to suddenly be fixed cause he's gone.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We have witnessed 6 full years of Woodward managing the football side and saw the club finish 4 times out of 6 campaigns outside top 4, not challenging for the league even once and becoming the new laughing stock of England and Europe after Arsenal while all our football decisions in these 6 years scream panicking and lack of planning re money spending and managerial appointments.
This should end any argument which is being used to defend Woodward and is the very reason why I feel he needs to be demoted or removed completely from footballing decisions.
Until this happens, we will continue finishing 4th-7th.

We could buy Messi and we'd still struggle to finish in the top 4.

Renewing contacts for people like Mata, Jones, Baily, etc, to save money will not see us compete for the league anytime soon. I have already written off the 2019/20 season, due to the way we ended the current season (relegation form).

Keefy18

This should end any argument which is being used to defend Woodward and is the very reason why I feel he needs to be demoted or removed completely from footballing decisions.

Renewing contacts for people like Mata, Jones, Baily, etc, to save money will not see us compete for the league anytime soon. I have already written off the 2019/20 season, due to the way we ended the current season (relegation form).
Why would it end it ffs?! He isn't responsible for on field matters. He's hired people for that, you might of heard of them..one of them even played for us previously ;)

By this logic when Zlatan had a great season for us, does Ed get the same praise?

Renewing of contract is at the managers behest, Feel free to try worm your way out of the example I've given above with Fellaini.

It flat out "ends any argument" you could say that its solely on Ed.

It's a culmination of things over a number of years from various parties all included that has us here.

the chameleon

I rehash it because folks don't want to admit the feckin obvious that their sentiments are irrational and illogical. Being frustrated and illogical go hand in hand.

This micro / macro stuff is nonsense. As CEO he has to support his managers decisions and by an large he has.

Again to "rehash my point" - Do you want to be the first to try worm your way out of the Fellaini situation and try use rational logic and blame the actual root cause of the problem? I'll give you a hint, its not Woodward or as you hilariously call him " the biggest villain in the history of the club".

Jose publicly supports Fellaini staying at the club, Jose publicly demands he be given a new contract.
As CEO, Woodward clearly doesn't rate him or at least that highly... as his renewal is left to the very last day of his contract.
  • The manager that demands an average player be kept and rewarded with an extended contract on higher salary?

Now remember, throughout this thread caftards are adamant that Woodward is apparently over ruling his managers, that he is to singularly blame for over paying players and cause of our inflated salary bill also and as a side note apparently the managers have ZERO input to who stays / goes and deciding of salaries....

And to answer your question briefly, no. If Ed goes our problems aren't going to suddenly be fixed cause he's gone.
I'll ask you again. Do you think Woodward should be allowed to continue his responsibilities at the club?

What arguments do you have to keep him of the club's footballing structure?

Also, at what point do you say enough is enough and he has to go?

Denis79

That nonsense is the foundation of any large company in the world. You have people who control the greater picture and others who manage the smaller things.

Keefy18

I'll ask you again. Do you think Woodward should be allowed to continue his responsibilities at the club?

What arguments do you have to keep him of the club's footballing structure?

Also, at what point do you say enough is enough and he has to go?
Sure, why not?

I like how you avoid answering my question...

If a manager demands a player be kept by giving them a new deal and the board reluctantly agree, who is at fault?

No one wants to answer it because they know the foundation of that error is with the manager and it diverts blame away from Woodward and that completely goes against their blind, illogical hatred.

reelworld

I don't think Woodward has any say in the footballing decisions.
And he always backs his manager first seasons. He sanctioned big transfers for them. The one time he vetoed a manager, it's in Jose last season, and even that's an arguable decision

fallengt

I get it, we've a frustrated fan base and frustration causes irrational thinking.
Yet ignore the fact that Ferguson dealt with exactly the same board and was successful.
Because Fergie was one off. It barely works anywhere else, stop tunneling vision it. And no, nobody praised Gill. He was unpopular among Caf at the time. The only reason we're making comparison because Woodward is worse.

Success rate post Fergie in that very system is zero if we only count league title. Rational people would start asking the question where's the problem. The first step to fix anything is to admit there's problem in the first place. Most people should know it by now rebuilding United is not a one man's job, manager needs to have a platform to build from. For that to happen, we need long-term plan and proper structure. Things that United don't have atm.

You're just typical Dunning Kruger here.

Last edited:

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Sure, why not?

If a manager demands a player be kept by giving them a new deal and the board reluctantly agree, who is at fault?

No one wants to answer it because they know the foundation of that error is with the manager and it diverts blame away from Woodward and that completely goes against their blind, illogical hatred.
Sure, why not?

If you think that Ed Woodward should be allowed to continue in his current position at United, then you are either an idiot or a Liverpool fan.

el3mel

Lied on the fans yet again on the Dof thing. Still some will keep defending him anyway.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
I expect a mountain of pressure on Woodward this season, he has fcuked up every season for 6 years now and is going into this one exactly the same way as he has the others. HOw can anyone who is a fan of Manchester United give any support to this arsehole and his cohorts? They have taken United from the top to the dregs in such a short time. And not much will change until they are out of the club completely. The Glazers and their Joe 90 puppet have really fcuked up united so much that it could take years to get back to where the club belongs.
Most people should realise after this current transfer window.

Sterling Archer

If you think that Ed Woodward should be allowed to continue in his current position at United, then you are either an idiot or a Liverpool fan.
Or he is Ed himself:)
Check his last fifty posts. Half of them are in this thread defending Woodward and the other half defending Michael Jackson and dismissing the testimony of those kids from Neverland Ranch :nervous:

Kapardin

Everything this cnut briefs is a lie and a deflection. I knew he was lying through his teeth when I saw nes like Evra and Rio being touted. He is drunk with power. Look at this line:

United feel the system works
Yeah, worked in sending us to midtable. There needs to be a protest of some sort at some point against him.

Denis79

Everything this cnut briefs is a lie and a deflection. I knew he was lying through his teeth when I saw nes like Evra and Rio being touted. He is drunk with power. Look at this line:

Yeah, worked in sending us to midtable. There needs to be a protest of some sort at some point against him.
Can't see any other reason for this either.

AllezLesDiables

Cheers! :) I do try add a little bit of sense into precedings.

I do agree about Fergie, he was all encompassing.

Fact is though Woodward gave similar freedom to his main 2 appointments thus far in LVG and Jose.

Both LVG & Jose were given their own choice of coaches, Jose his own head of scouting as well. Jose refused a DoF, Which Ed didn't force on him and has only begun searching in recent months. Would you prefer Ed over rule Jose in that instance? Now remember, the meltdowns over the center half fall out.

So, he's hired the best 2 possible candidates at times of seeking a new manager and given them pretty much complete and utter freedom bar minimal instances and left them to do as they see fit on the football side. If they fail its on them.

But, the vast majority of our robotic supporters just drone out cliched tabloid nonsense about Ed "over ruling" managers? :houllier:

He's in a lose, lose situation. If he dares challenge the manager (Fellaini renewal?, DoF?) we get idiots like Gary Nev with his baseless rants about "once you say no to a manager then you've lost them" nonsense.

Don't folks want a DoF? Jose turned it down, why aren't our supporters instead giving Jose grief over it and slowing down the modernized restructure we so badly need?

Ed's in a situation where he loses every which way.

If he supports the manager (like he has) you say he's hired the wrong manager. When he's dared offer up resistance (Fellaini) or alternate ideas (DoF) he's also wrong.

Sterling, I've no idea what half of this is about but I'll give it a bash ;)

What football background have the other top 5 CEO's got? It's practically non existent :lol::lol: I've already mentioned this on a previous page.

Soriano, Moore, Levy, Venkatesham & Laurence football experience consists of one working for a sports manufacturer and another being a supporter of the club he's now at. Their experience is steeped in accounting, business and economics!

By an large they are not "football men".

Moyes was hired by Fergie / Gill. Now to do with Ed.

You both mention he hires the wrong managers, yet ignore the fact the you most like demanded Jose be hired 3 years ago. It's complete revisionist bollicks (about as polite as I can be) from our fan base who are now pretending they never wanted Jose and he was inherently the wrong choice.

Spurs fans aren't calling for Levy's head really at any point are they? Don't tell me its cause they are going in the right direction, they weren't calling for his head pre Poch arrival when they were smack bang mid table.

As Johan says above, why aren't Arsenal supporters calling for their CEO's head (Venkatesham)? How about Chelsea with Laurence?

We've a weird bunch of supporters in our midst who completely fall for tabloid rubbish without doing the slightest bit of research for themselves.
Are any of the other CEOs linked to making footballing decisions? The whole point is that a CEO delegates the football side of things to a DoF (aka Football CEO). The issue with Woodward is that he seems to be the one making the decisions or at the very least the one with final authority.

The two post Moyes hires screamed lack of planning and short-termism.

Given Van Gaal’s age he could only coach out on a short term basis. He did wonders for the Dutch team because he’s great coach but he also had little say on who to bring because there weren’t too many decisions to make and WC is a short term event and national pride can deliver an improbable result.

Mourinho should have been radioactive after his 2nd Chelsea stint. I knew and stated as such here when he was hired that he was toxic and that it would end badly. Just like I posted on a Chelsea board in 2012 that Mourinho not playing De Bruyne was ridiculous and Chelsea letting him go would haunt them for years.

The whole point is that a manager should dictate how the club is run in the modern footballing environment because tenures are too short. In some cases despite being successful coaches just leave because they want something different and they get fed up with certain aspects of club politics.

Hence the reason why an overall philosophy is needed to hire managers that fit the philosophy and to avoid short term appointment that require complete style overhauls.

The other aspect is legacy planning in terms of talent, which is something that was not addressed towards the end of Fergie’s reign with the failure to to address midfield for several years, which essentially pushed Scholes to return.

The legacy planning is still a haphazard mess especially when you see Jones getting a four year deal after being an unreliable piece for several years.

If you look at City they are continually improving and upgrading and not letting players sit on their laurels. You don’t cut it you will get replaced.

They won the league and two other trophies with arguably their best player out injured for the most of the year and barely skipped a beat.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Some guys actually think that Ed Woodward is not to blame and that is a major mistake, that is the same arsehole who helped the Glazers in their hostile takeover of the club, and he is now our DOF, how has that worked out over the last seasons? We have gone from being top dogs to be scraping for scraps. Some idiots seem to want to defend Ed Woodward, I ask how can you defend such a person unless you are him. He has helped with the takeover in order that he can become the CEO. And since that has happened United have become shit. Manchester United are currently a mid table team in England, can the Glazers keep us there or will they let us go even lower?

fergiesarmy1

Some guys actually think that Ed Woodward is not to blame and that is a major mistake, that is the same arsehole who helped the Glazers in their hostile takeover of the club, and he is now our DOF, how has that worked out over the last seasons? We have gone from being top dogs to be scraping for scraps. Some idiots seem to want to defend Ed Woodward, I ask how can you defend such a person unless you are him. He has helped with the takeover in order that he can become the CEO. And since that has happened United have become shit. Manchester United are currently a mid table team in England, can the Glazers keep us there or will they let us go even lower?
Ed is picking up £4,000,000 a year, the glazers are taking dividend to the tune of £20,000,000 a year while the value increases. They don’t give a rats arse

BlueHaze

I have a genuine question to you guys who 1. Thought we were going to bring in a DoF this summer and 2. Thought the DoF would have any impact on signings made. Do you guys even know how these people work?

fergiesarmy1

I have a genuine question to you guys who 1. Thought we were going to bring in a DoF this summer and 2. Thought the DoF would have any impact on signings made. Do you guys even know how these people work?
If it’s someone like Ferdinand exactly how they are told to act

Skills

Snitch
I was hoping we would hire one before we hired a permanent manager. Hiring the manager is probably the most important role of DOF.

Last edited:

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Ed is picking up £4,000,000 a year, the glazers are taking dividend to the tune of £20,000,000 a year while the value increases. They don’t give a rats arse
Yes we are on our ass as a football club, A DOF with a vision for the club on the pitch could become a major problem for the current milk the club plan that the owners have. So they do not want one. And, if they ever do get one to try and get some pressure of their backs it will be a yes man.

fergiesarmy1

Yes we are on our ass as a football club, A DOF with a vision for the club on the pitch could become a major problem for the current milk the club plan that the owners have. So they do not want one. And, if they ever do get one to try and get some pressure of their backs it will be a yes man.
So we are agreed we are the titanic

BlueHaze

I mean you don't just bring in a DoF in May or June and expect them to have any sort of impact. With DoF's there is a lot of long term planning involved. This person would need 6 months minimum to assess things properly and set out targets. It was blatantly obvious we weren't getting one this year. Ed most likely already has a list of targets set from long ago and that list is what they are going with this summer along with the input of Ole of course.

Basically they have just decided to put one of the most crucial summer windows in the history of this club in the hands of Ed once again. All we can do is to pray this won't be another horrible window. I still can't believe after all the previously failed windows in particular the last one the club still havn't brought in someone more experienced to replace Ed. It's quite frankly shocking.

It's honestly hard to take the club serious when in the summer of 2019 we are still having discussions about bringing in a DoF. Any serious club would have found a top quality candidate and hired him to replace Ed 4 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if this turns out another shit show and Ed will still remain in his position next summer. Quite worrying if you ask me.

fergiesarmy1

I mean you don't just bring in a DoF in May or June and expect them to have any sort of impact. With DoF's there is a lot of long term planning involved. This person would need 6 months minimum to assess things properly and set out targets. It was blatantly obvious we weren't getting one this year. Ed most likely already has a list of targets set from long ago and that list is what they are going with this summer along with the input of Ole of course.

Basically they have just decided to put one of the most crucial summer windows in the history of this club in the hands of Ed once again. All we can do is to pray this won't be another horrible window. I still can't believe after all the previously failed windows in particular the last one the club still havn't brought in someone more experienced to replace Ed. It's quite frankly shocking.

It's honestly hard to take the club serious when in the summer of 2019 we are still having discussions about bringing in a DoF. Any serious club would have found a top quality candidate and hired him to replace Ed 4 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if this turns out another shit show and Ed will still remain in his position next summer. Quite worrying if you ask me.
That prick is not going to give up control while he is getting financially rewarded every year to the tune of 4 million, we are goosed while he is in charge.

marktan

This is it in a nutshell. Success is nice but they don't need it for the value of the club to increase, they're not fans of the club - their goal is to make money.

Look at Madrid - already a far superior squad to us and have already spent £250m this summer - likely going to around £350m once they get a cm in too. That should've been us - instead we've spent £1 billion financing the debt and paying out to the glazers.