Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

BlueHaze

So let's see here.. Last winter he gives Jose an extension because he was flirting with PSG. Then he proceeds to completely undermine him the following summer window. The same manager who is known for becoming Mr.Hyde when things do not go his way. Then instead of letting him go he waits until half a season is gone and we are stuck at 11 points away from 4th and the club is in turmoil before getting rid. He then does one good thing by taking in a caretaker for the rest of the season and things start out indredibly well.

Later things do not look as good anymore but he just can't hold himself and decides to give the caretaker the permanent role and since then we've looked awful. Now just watch him be completely unable to give Ole what he wants in the summer and then we'll be back to square one next year making the same threads and posts about Woodward. After his first summer here which was the clubs most embarrassing transfer window in history I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Now 6 years later I'm asking myself how many more years of complete ineptitude before he gets removed from his current role? Why are our owners absolute morons?

Kapardin

So let's see here.. Last winter he gives Jose an extension because he was flirting with PSG. Then he proceeds to completely undermine him the following summer window. The same manager who is known for becoming Mr.Hyde when things do not go his way. Then instead of letting him go he waits until half a season is gone and we are stuck at 11 points away from 4th and the club is in turmoil before getting rid. He then does one good thing by taking in a caretaker for the rest of the season and things start out indredibly well.

Later things do not look as good anymore but he just can't hold himself and decides to give the caretaker the permanent role and since then we've looked awful. Now just watch him be completely unable to give Ole what he wants in the summer and then we'll be back to square one next year making the same threads and posts about Woodward. After his first summer here which was the clubs most embarrassing transfer window in history I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Now 6 years later I'm asking myself how many more years of complete ineptitude before he gets removed from his current role? Why are our owners absolute morons?
They aren't. They are pretty shrewd, raking in the money while paying little attention to the footballing side of the club. Not Kroenke levels of apathy but getting there.

Coops73

Since Ferguson and more tellingly, since David Gill left Woodward has been the one constant since our demise, from poor signings to poor managerial appointments and/or sackings, whatever you opinions about who should of stayed or gone since Ferguson retired, however much money he has/hasn’t spent compared to other teams, net spend etc.

How this bloke still has a job at our club, in his current capacity I have no fecking idea.

I don’t like the Glazers but they’re not stupid, you don’t make the fortunes they have over the years through bad decisions and shit business acumen but they have really dropped a bollock with this fella.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don’t like the Glazers but they’re not stupid, you don’t make the fortunes they have over the years through bad decisions and shit business acumen but they have really dropped a bollock with this fella.
Are they though? Outside of their investment in the Buccaneers in the NFL and a heavily mortgaged take over of Manchester United, what other profitable assets do they even have? The family's net worth is estimated at $4B and I'm not sure what kind of debts they are carrying considering United alone should be worth more than that.

Coops73

Are they though? Outside of their investment in the Buccaneers in the NFL and a heavily mortgaged take over of Manchester United, what other profitable assets do they even have? The family's net worth is estimated at $4B and I'm not sure what kind of debts they are carrying considering United alone should be worth more than that.
I know feck all about businesses or running a successful business but you don’t become a billionaire through stupidity surely.

Moriarty

I don't think this has been posted before: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...woodward-transfer-window-latest-a8881806.html

It's well worth enduring the Independent's horrible online layout (ad between each para). It's worrying and depressing; the problem seems to be that far from not "understanding" or caring about football, Ed gets far too swept up in the emotion of it all. What we need is a dispassionate cnut in charge.
A well-written and thoughtful piece. It's pretty much saying what a lot of people on here have been alluding to, albeit in a less clinical way.

Jonno

Woody is never going to get it right. He wants to and he tries to, but he just doesn't know how to deal with the footballing side of the business of the club.

6 years of strange decisions, decisions that aren't consistent.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Woody is never going to get it right. He wants to and he tries to, but he just doesn't know how to deal with the footballing side of the business of the club.

6 years of strange decisions, decisions that aren't consistent.
They're consistently bad...

Like literally every big decision he's had to make.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I know feck all about businesses or running a successful business but you don’t become a billionaire through stupidity surely.
There's plenty of people who got contracts in real estate at a time when America was expanding rapidly after WW2 and carried on to keep their wealth despite their best efforts today. Glazers' big money was invested in shopping malls and it sunk terribly once online marketing started to take hold and put stores out of business.

Jonno

They're consistently bad...

Like literally every big decision he's had to make.
And all contradicting of each other. Like splash the cash on sh!te signings, then all of a sudden, make careful signings. Go for a proven winner, followed by sack him and go for an unproven caretaker. It's all a bit desperate and embarrassing

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Just seen Quavo perfectly summing Woodward up with the mountain dew advert. Do what they say you can't, because there's those that don't... and those that do.

Come on, prove everyone wrong Woody!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He literally does nothing without the authorisation of the Glazers. Maybe his hands are tied too?

marktan

The farce continues and this is the sole reason, Ed and the board.

Appointing Ole, with no experience, will turn out to be a mistake. Made more worse by the fact that the interrim period was when we were meant to find a top manager.

It'll be another 1-2 years wasted, dross signed, and we'll fall further behind, all because Ed's convinced Ole will give youth a chance and 'play the United way'.

Charlatan. The day we get rid of him from footballing decisions and get someone competent in is the day we'll start building upwards again instead of trending downwards.

croadyman

This guy is killing our club every day he remains in charge of Football matters. I wish there was some kind of hostile protest that could drive him out.

I would suggest some kind of protest inside the ground,however would enough people be willing to do it and make our feelings heard.

red thru&thru

This guy is killing our club every day he remains in charge of Football matters. I wish there was some kind of hostile protest that could drive him out.

I would suggest some kind of protest inside the ground,however would enough people be willing to do it and make our feelings heard.
All it would take is a simple un click of the official United media platforms and watch the pressure grow. A MASSIVE part of Ed's selling the club as a marketing tool is, all the followers/interactions the club has Soon as this dwindles, the sponsors would mount big pressure on the club and something would have to give.

Suedesi

Liverpool’s capture of Virgil van Dijk is a lesson for Manchester United

It sums up the dysfunction at Manchester United to recall their attempt to sign Virgil van Dijk, which involved a frantic, desperate telephone call to see if he was still available. Doh! The defender had already completed his medical on Merseyside.

Such a botched move (as late and hopeless as their bid to sign Gareth Bale when he left Tottenham Hotspur for Real Madrid) encapsulates the lack of understanding between manager(s) and board, an absence of vision or even basic planning when it comes to recruitment, which is only one of many big problems to rectify at Old Trafford.

Liverpool had made all the right, persistent moves for Van Dijk and how delighted they must be with the man who, it was confirmed yesterday, is to be crowned the PFA Player of the Year. The players got that one spot on.

There is plenty to quibble about in their selections for the season’s outstanding Premier League XI — Paul Pogba chosen when his undoubted talent has been so inconsistently delivered, Eden Hazard left out despite being the most electrifying player in the division — and others will argue, understandably, for Raheem Sterling for the main prize.

The Manchester City attacker will win the Footballer of the Year, from the writers, on account not only of his superb form but also the way he has become a significant voice in the conversation around race in football. His PR has improved almost as much as his finishing.

But my vote has gone to Van Dijk and while these things tend to be a combination of factors, certainly one of the key drivers came from talking to coaches and scouts, who explained how hard it is to find a centre back of his rare quality, even if armed with the £75 million that made him the most expensive defender in the world.

For the impact of a single player on his team, Van Dijk has struck me as this campaign’s true colossus; adding such assuredness to a Liverpool defence which, in his first full season, has halved the number of league goals conceded compared with the previous two years to only 20.

Obviously the credit for that is far from his alone — Alisson, Andrew Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold are all enjoying distinguished seasons — but just as Bobby Moore radiated assurance among his England team-mates, Van Dijk’s composure has been contagious.

That statistic about no one dribbling past him this season in one-on-ones, which will face its toughest test against Lionel Messi next Wednesday in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final, is almost hard to believe, yet entirely consistent with the excellence that we have seen from him pretty much every week of the campaign. On this season’s form, Van Dijk would improve any team in the world.

That he ended up at Anfield in January of last year, after Southampton turned down a bid not far short of £75 million the previous summer, also says a lot about the big six clubs and why Liverpool under Jürgen Klopp deserve such immense credit, even if they are likely to be pipped by Manchester City to the title.

Tottenham Hotspur were never going to spend a world-record fee on a defender. Arsenal thought about it but not when the cost jumped above £50 million.

At Chelsea, Antonio Conte was very keen but the club’s hierarchy would not sanction the outlay which, not for the first or last time at Stamford Bridge, worsened the rift between manager and board.

City had Van Dijk high on their list but it was a list that also included Aymeric Laporte, who has done much to justify the £57 million fee that took him to Manchester from Athletic Bilbao, while not matching the Dutchman’s huge influence.

For Liverpool, what was key — and a vital lesson for United as they try to find a way out of their mess — was making it clear that Van Dijk was not one of many options but the man they would keep pursuing even after the frustration of being warned off by Southampton.

Just as they were willing to wait 12 months for Naby Keïta to arrive from RB Leipzig, Liverpool were buying to a very clear plan. And as the Van Dijk transfer proved, even world-record fees can quickly seem like value for money when they come off as impressively as this one.

Having a passionate salesman like Klopp also helps, setting out a vision to Van Dijk of all that he could become at Anfield. City already had titles and a modern hall of fame. Liverpool crave new legends.

That Van Dijk, 27, is fast becoming one on Merseyside would stagger many of those who saw his early years but then Ferguson did always say that you should not judge a centre half until he is 24. The position requires maturity of mind and body.

At Willem II, where Van Dijk began, they were not even sure that he was going to make it as a professional. He was a short right back until a teenage growth spurt turned him into a 6ft 4in centre back.

Still it took a while for his game to blossom. At Groningen, he did not make his first professional start until he was almost 20. He did not make his international debut until 24, left out of Holland’s 2014 World Cup squad because Louis van Gaal preferred Terence Kongolo, now at Huddersfield Town.

Van Gaal told a Dutch newspaper that Van Dijk “didn’t defend forward”, failing to press the ball, and it seemed that many other managers had reservations, given that the defender joined Celtic for only £2.7 million from Groningen in 2013.

In a parallel universe he could then have been sucked into the vortex of Sunderland’s collapse because Dick Advocaat hoped to prise away him away from Glasgow in 2015.

Instead, it was Southampton who nabbed him for £13 million and there must be scouts still wondering how they did not see more in the defender who has become such a towering presence in every respect. The phrase Van Dijk hears most often is that he is bigger than people expected though not, according to those in the know at Anfield, in the sense of ego. The slow road to the top is said to have given him appreciation for the journey.

The sight of him occasionally squeezing his big frame into a Mini for the practical purposes of parking in Liverpool city centre suggests that he is not too fussed about his image. He has a young family and a wife, who is said to keep his feet on the ground.

Now he just has to add honours. In 18 months at Anfield, he has already played in one Champions League final — not that he could do much about his goalkeeper throwing them in — while helping to turn Liverpool into their best side in several decades and making every scout wonder exactly where they will find the next best centre half.

United have the greatest need but Matthijs de Ligt, 19, is thought to be bound for Barcelona from Ajax, Toby Alderweireld, 30, has yet to decide on his future at Tottenham Hotspur while, depending on who you believe, the fee for Kalidou Koulibaly, the 27-year-old Napoli centre half, could rise above £100 million.

In this market, capturing Van Dijk looks more brilliant by the week; a tale of one footballer’s excellence but also of the disparity between Liverpool and United.

Fluctuation0161

As soon as the Glazers see the writing on the wall, they will sell and for a massive profit. The kind of investment that would be needed to buy the club and pull us out of that hole can only come from the middle east.
You do know the Middle East is not the only place which has billionaires right?

Yakuza_devils

The major rebuild can only start effectively with this man gone. CEO of Man Utd should always be football first above all others.

Maybe, we can learn from Real Madrid supporters by waving white handkerchief?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He knows that we can't lose CL spot two years in a row. So i expect big transfer budget this summer. It is his head in question now. Glazers will not tolerate losing money

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Mess after mess since he took over from Gill. Appointing Ole just being the latest one. He needs to get the sack before we even start thinking about getting a good manager.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hes got Such a punchable face. I absolutely Hate him with a passion.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Has this clown made a single decent move in his time as CEO? Every managerial hiring, every player contract has come back to bite the club in the ass.

fallengt

Any chance fans can force Glazers to sell the club? I think it's the only way for United to be a real football club again

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If we were a footballing club, he could only be deemed a unanimous failure.

We aren't a footballing club.

Nick.

He shold be called upon by all fans to explain himself. How did he think signing a Ukrainian league player and a kid with 7 professional games to his name would bridege the 30-odd points gap between us and City last season?

mitch120

Maybe its time we protest outside old trafford to have him removed from the club doubt problem is no fans seem to have the bottle to turn up.

SER19

If he was doing this at any other self respecting club in world football his car would be on fire and police would be guarding his home. I’m obviously not condoning or advocating such behaviour. But surely enough is enough. I don’t think it’s remotely hyperbolic to call for fan action on this.

He has driven the club into the ground. And yes, I would be willing to be there taking part. How do things like that even get organised. There should be a mass protest at Cardiff game. And I mean an absolute shaming of ed Woodward and our owners. And realistically many players too.

A walkout at half time. Leave it to finish the season in front of half a stadium.

promisedlanchiao

The only good thing about tonight is that the club have taken a huge financial hit, which will hurt Woodward and the Glazers. Money is the only thing they understand. I for one am not buying any kit for next season, especially not a kit commemorating our Champions League success. Manchester United is now a hollow shell of what it used to be.