Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Johan07

journalists were suggesting the role has little power and merely serves to take the heat off Woodward fanwise
Employing a DoF will not affect Woodwards role at all.
It will transfer power from the manager, the head of scouting, the head of youth development and the head of corporate development (Judge) to the DoF and change the reporting structure of the organisation. Basically those other functions will be reporting to the DoF, who will be reporting to Woodward.
There are many good arguments for a DoF but those of you that think it will diminish Woodwards role - whatever you think it is - are fooling yourselves.

RuudTom83

Being injured has caused a lot of people to forget the white elephant in the room...

Sanchez!

Getting rid of him this summer should have been high on Ed’s to do list!

Roboc7

Even with a decent structure and competent people behind the scenes it would take 2-3 summer windows to turn this squad around. With Ed running the show you it’s 2 or 3 times that and that’s being generous.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Arsenal have never singled out their CEO - Venkatesham. I'd actually never heard of his name until having discussions on here even that's how under the radar he is.
Chelsea's CEO is Guy Laurence. not Granovskaia. She is a director on the board.
Liverpool's is Peter Moore. Barely heard of him again until recently.
City is Soriano - Largely know him due to the recent docs on amazon prime.
Spurs is Levy

Out of all of them the most notable in recent years was the latter, Levy. You mention his penny pinching but that has also been to their benefit quite often.

Now, do you see the difference? You've made mistakes in your own name dropping here and as I've proven half them are complete unknowns, but only at United is there this utterly bizarre intense focus on the CEO.
Go get a room with Ed.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
we have become a money making machine for the Glazers and nothing else, so my support for United has ceased. from now, I will not spend one cent that might go to United and I will also make sure that I avoid spending any money on any article from a sponsor of United, I will boycott any and all sponsors that the club has.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
To be fair to Woodward - at first glance it appears he's done utterly nothing during this transfer window, and has literally just sat on his pudgy little anus during the most important window that he has presided over in his 6 years in charge...

But when you look deeper, it becomes clear that he's not done nothing at all...

Typing out lengthy, overly long pro-Glazer replies literally all day, every day on Redcafe under the name 'Keefy' isn't nothing, and for that, Woodward can at least be seen to be doing something.

Fair play to the man.
Seriously? thank feck for @Keefy18 I say, as i'd imagine any neutral would if they stumbled into this thread by mistake.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I mean what would one get out of relentlessly defending a person who is a major reason why we are such a shower of shite at the moment? I mean who the feck else is responsible for how poor we have been? Fred the red?

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Employing a DoF will not affect Woodwards role at all.
It will transfer power from the manager, the head of scouting, the head of youth development and the head of corporate development (Judge) to the DoF and change the reporting structure of the organisation. Basically those other functions will be reporting to the DoF, who will be reporting to Woodward.
There are many good arguments for a DoF but those of you that think it will diminish Woodwards role - whatever you think it is - are fooling yourselves.
Agree 100% these arseholes are here to stay, how can United get rid of these leeches?I think that the only way is to boycott them. BUt the club has so many fans who do not have a clue and this could be a major obstacle in this situation.

Eddy_JukeZ

Even if we got Maguire, it'd still be an embarrassing window.

Woodward continues his excellence at being terrible. The perfect pet for the Glazers.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
we have become a money making machine for the Glazers and nothing else, so my support for United has ceased. from now, I will not spend one cent that might go to United and I will also make sure that I avoid spending any money on any article from a sponsor of United, I will boycott any and all sponsors that the club has.
Oh nooooooo, there's only 658,999,999 United fans left in the world, we're doomed :lol:

Tarrou

for all the squawking I haven't seen anyone make a solid case for Ed and the Glazers being good for United

the main gist of the defence seems to be anyone who replaced them would be the same or worse and btw you plebs are too dumb to understand leveraged buyouts

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
We all want to see United do well in the transfer market and even more on the pitch, but does anyone seriously believe that this will happen under the Glazer ownership? I for one do not. Because it is very obvious that the people currently running the club have no interest in success on the pitch. Their only interest is making money, and that is our lot for now until these leeches leave the club.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
for all the squawking I haven't seen anyone make a solid case for Ed and the Glazers being good for United

the main gist of the defence seems to be anyone who replaced them would be the same or worse and btw you plebs are too dumb to understand leveraged buyouts
The Glazers and Ed are very bad for the club because they have taken it over with the only interest being to cream off the money.

Yakuza_devils

If I was so shit at my work, I hope I still have few supporters defending me like Ed has. But in real world, most probably I will be out of my job. Unbelievable :houllier::houllier:

Patrick08

Even with a decent structure and competent people behind the scenes it would take 2-3 summer windows to turn this squad around. With Ed running the show you it’s 2 or 3 times that and that’s being generous.
I doubt that. There are enough options out there the club doesn't even consider going for.

If Sancho decided to stay for a year nothing is stopping the board from getting a player like Costa or Malcom on a loan deal and fill the position but Woodward won't.

RooneyLegend

Folks, we are toast. The men running the club haven't a clue about the sport which is a worrying set of circumstances. At this point Woody has overseen the ridiculous wage bill with regards to actual player quality. Autharized the signing players for a fortune who aren't worth the money spent. He's managed to hire 3 managers who have all failed miserably.

Anyone that thinks he isn't responsible for this mess deluded. The Glazers are to blame to for leaving him to run this club for so long without actually having an idea of what he's doing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
To be fair to Woodward - at first glance it appears he's done utterly nothing during this transfer window, and has literally just sat on his pudgy little anus during the most important window that he has presided over in his 6 years in charge...

But when you look deeper, it becomes clear that he's not done nothing at all...

Typing out lengthy, overly long pro-Glazer replies literally all day, every day on Redcafe under the name 'Keefy' isn't nothing, and for that, Woodward can at least be seen to be doing something.

Fair play to the man.
:lol:

macheda14

Wait, so they’ve only started taking money now? They weren’t taking money when we were winning? Or are you actually stopping supporting because you cba to carry on supporting a team who doesn’t win anymore

C'est Moi Cantona

Wait, so they’ve only started taking money now? They weren’t taking money when we were winning? Or are you actually stopping supporting because you cba to carry on supporting a team who doesn’t win anymore
I think you're quoting the wrong poster there, and tbf to the one who actually said it, I wouldn't believe they'll following it through for one second, it's just reactionary desperation, as the issues are staring us in the face, yet the owners refuse to do anything about it.

Marcelinho87

Being injured has caused a lot of people to forget the white elephant in the room...

Sanchez!

Getting rid of him this summer should have been high on Ed’s to do list!
How do you suppose we go about getting rid?

He's injured, his wages are astronomical and he is shit.... Who would want him?

Pav1878

Folks, we are toast. The men running the club haven't a clue about the sport which is a worrying set of circumstances. At this point Woody has overseen the ridiculous wage bill with regards to actual player quality. Autharized the signing players for a fortune who aren't worth the money spent. He's managed to hire 3 managers who have all failed miserably.

Anyone that thinks he isn't responsible for this mess deluded. The Glazers are to blame to for leaving him to run this club for so long without actually having an idea of what he's doing.
Great post. Absolutely nailed it.

clarkydaz

I saw this interview a few months back and was quite surprised he happily called Woodward out on camera. "ITS WOODWARD, WOODWARD IS THE PROBLEM"

oz insomniac

Here we go again, Woody appoints Ole, Ole wants Fernandes and asks his CEO to sign him for football reasons. It appears that Woody doesn't think he is worth the fee. Ironic again, that Woody makes football decsisons and here we are wondering why the club isn't doing a well as it should, Jose wanted McGuire and Woody also said he wasn't worth it and now will have to pay more as he's wanted again.

There is a dunce and imposter posing as DOF, and the Glazers condone it.

Keefy alias Woody will now tell all and sundry that no one understands how it works and that its all good , this window looks like last year, slow and ponderous and all about the keeping cash in the club , if this continues the club will continue to fall in football terms.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sorry if this isn't the right thread, I don't think it is as @Keefy18 hasn't posted anything on this page. But here's a pretty sweet Glazers Out video I think a lot of people will like. And feck Woodward too.

minh_loc_xoay

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, I don't think it is as @Keefy18 hasn't posted anything on this page. But here's a pretty sweet Glazers Out video I think a lot of people will like. And feck Woodward too.
You're 5 minutes earlier than me. Was about to post this.
I have subscribed to this Aditya channel since 2012. To think such a loyal MUFC video editor now has had enough with the Glazers and have to make this, instead of his usual inspirational promotion video for us... :(

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They weren’t taking money when we were winning?
Valid point.

But: leaving it all to Fergie was a clever choice, and one very few United fans had a problem with, as such.

Leaving it all to anyone who isn't Fergie - not so clever. And highly problematic from the viewpoint of most fans, I should think.

Crustanoid

Nah, too rich to bother with that kind of thing.

Keefy's desperation and constant 'salesman' posts are that of a corporate Gnome trying, shamelessly, to buy himself time - but at least we know what Ed's doing with his time.
Yes, the number of hours spent composing all those posts shows dedication so it must be Ed. Explains why there has been zero movement on transfers too.

I guess the Glazers are too preoccupied bathing in all of the money they stole

clarkydaz

Even Fergie after the legends match threw a dig in interview saying how "Bayern are a club run by football people, how it should be"

Keefy18

No wonder you're sleepy, Ed - the following is all from a 24 hour sample of your 'work'...!

Nap-time recommended!
Oh my bad for posting detailed sentiments as apposed to the one liner nonsense posted repeatedly. The fact that my questions within are ignored tells me all I need to know, many of the posters are wrong and know it, so avoid the painful truth of having to answer the questions.

I was waiting for the glory hunter comment. They spent money for about 3 seasons after literally years of under investment. We spent nothing from 2008 to 2013 and then had 8 first team players retire or leave. The Glazers picked the worse time to invest in the squad when the inflation of football transfers went crazy. And our crazy spending in that short period didn’t help matters.

My issue with the club isn’t about spending more than the rest it’s about what we do with the funds we have. And we haven’t made any efforts to sign players for the last two summers now and the squad needs it. I can’t help the board has wasted money. My anger is at the shambolic decisions from player contracts, player signings and new managers and managerial tactics. The club is being run very very badly.

Sanchez on £500k has led to every single player having their recent contracts bumped up.

Mourinho being given a new contract in February, then not backed in the summer creating a terrible season. Then is sacked with £30m compensation because we had to buy out the rest of his contract. That £30m could be a new signing.

That was the board chance to take their time and get the right appointment in. What do they do after two months of good form give someone with no managerial pedigree one of the biggest football jobs in the world. All of this has been caused by the owners having full trust in Woodward. Can’t you see that?

But keep spouting everyone that is unhappy with the club is a glory hunter. Clearly one of the top red brigade. Keep throwing your money to the Glazers if you’re happy.
The glory hunter comment is entirely valid, you've admitted that because we are currently struggling to compete for the league you will no longer support the club which is absolutely pathetic. What's the term used, ah yes a plastic. Out of curiosity who will you be supporting in the season ahead? Chelsea? Liverpool? City?

Yes your issue is with spend, your quote was "they won’t spend money to get transfers done" - Which I pointed out wasn't true at all. So now you are trying to say otherwise and change the narrative.

Do you actually read back what you post cause you've blatantly contradicted yourself in the 3rd bold part. We signed Fred for £50m, signed an injured but highly sought after RB in Dalot for £20m to avoid other clubs getting to him. This is after we spent mind boggling sums of money on Sanchez who you actually also mention but ignore it previously? :lol::lol:

Sanchez would of been signed with the support of Jose ffs, trying to suggest otherwise is completely ridiculous. All managers have a say on transfers as it affects how the squad is shaped and obviously affects the transfer budget.

Jose got his new deal in Jan - https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...s-a-new-contract-as-manchester-united-manager

What followed almost immediately was Jose engineering a pay off. I've said this at least 20 times at this point on this thread...does it seriously need to be explained again?

Almost everything you've posted here is revisionist and its cherry picking aspects that suit a narrative you prefer but when you look at the facts it tells a different story.

So what? This was reactive spending when things were falling apart, not a well thought out strategy, and now 5-6 years down the line we're in a worse position, yet the same people/person are still allowed to call the shots, that's the thing that a lot of people can't accept, just change the god dam setup, and let someone with some sort of forward planning have a go at it.

It's clear we're going to have a high turnover of managers, so it is no good just giving them free reign, (which hasn't happened anyway), and then getting someone radically different in a year or two later and starting over again, which seems to need to happen every time, it's not working.

Yes we've spent a fortune, but last summer when we in a position of strength we stopped, why? because we had achieved what we needed to, and have no interest in spending what it takes to take make the final step, then we paid the price, and now we're back to been reactive again, which is becoming harder and harder as our reputation is eroded, and selling clubs rightly take advantage of us.

It's really hard to understand why a change hasn't been made now, other than Woodward answers to no one.
This really is a terrible comment.

So let me get this straight, one of the main complaints currently is that the board aren't reacting to falling behind other clubs, but when they do... it's also wrong? Such pearls of wisdom to be found here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the anti glazer caftards currently praising Real Madrid for "Reacting" to poor seasons and spending, but when we do it... feck the glazers, feck Ed? What's Reals plan / structure? Until these transfers actually deliver its the complete unknown how this current outlay turns out.

Almost every anti glazer poster here does this exact thing where they want every demand met, even if it means contradicting another demand.

Go get a room with Ed.
Hmm, I thought I was Ed? You seem confused now... make your mind up.

Josep Dowling

Oh my bad for posting detailed sentiments as apposed to the one liner nonsense posted repeatedly. The fact that my questions within are ignored tells me all I need to know, many of the posters are wrong and know it, so avoid the painful truth of having to answer the questions.

The glory hunter comment is entirely valid, you've admitted that because we are currently struggling to compete for the league you will no longer support the club which is absolutely pathetic. What's the term used, ah yes a plastic. Out of curiosity who will you be supporting in the season ahead? Chelsea? Liverpool? City?

Yes your issue is with spend, your quote was "they won’t spend money to get transfers done" - Which I pointed out wasn't true at all. So now you are trying to say otherwise and change the narrative.

Do you actually read back what you post cause you've blatantly contradicted yourself in the 3rd bold part. We signed Fred for £50m, signed an injured but highly sought after RB in Dalot for £20m to avoid other clubs getting to him. This is after we spent mind boggling sums of money on Sanchez who you actually also mention but ignore it previously? :lol::lol:

Sanchez would of been signed with the support of Jose ffs, trying to suggest otherwise is completely ridiculous. All managers have a say on transfers as it affects how the squad is shaped and obviously affects the transfer budget.

Jose got his new deal in Jan - https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...s-a-new-contract-as-manchester-united-manager

What followed almost immediately was Jose engineering a pay off. I've said this at least 20 times at this point on this thread...does it seriously need to be explained again?

Almost everything you've posted here is revisionist and its cherry picking aspects that suit a narrative you prefer but when you look at the facts it tells a different story.

This really is a terrible comment.

So let me get this straight, one of the main complaints currently is that the board aren't reacting to falling behind other clubs, but when they do... it's also wrong? Such pearls of wisdom to be found here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the anti glazer caftards currently praising Real Madrid for "Reacting" to poor seasons and spending, but when we do it... feck the glazers, feck Ed? What's Reals plan / structure? Until these transfers actually deliver its the complete unknown how this current outlay turns out.

Almost every anti glazer poster here does this exact thing where they want every demand met, even if it means contradicting another demand.

Hmm, I thought I was Ed? You seem confused now... make your mind up.
I can only assume you must be a wum because you’re arguing for the sake of it now. So are you happy with how the club is run?

Who do you think is to blame for our clear adject failings and lack of direction?

I’m not sure what facts you are looking at. I’ve seen you try to make out the debt is reducing when you only have to check the balance sheet to see it’s reduced by absolutely feck all since 2005. £44m in 14 years on half a billion pound debt.

And I’ve already stated it isn’t about spending more money it’s about spending it correctly. Once again we are about to spend £80m on an above average CB. That is what I’m talking about.

BTW sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Last edited:

Keefy18

I can only assume you must be a wum because you’re arguing for the sake of it now. So are you happy with how the club is run?

Who do you think is to blame for our clear adject failings and lack of direction?
How so? I'm making valid points by answering your questions.

I think there's enough blame to be shared out between all. If you like many other anti glazer supporters believe its been 6 years of poor management then isn't it only fair to judge from that point forward?

Our team was allowed to age and quality decline from the Ronaldo sale to 2013, I think most agree on this. Where many differ is who is to blame? Many anti glazer supporters directly blame them, but I believe some blame should be apportioned to Fergie and his disliking of agents, in particular Raiola for example. We also missed out on other top players like Hazard, Kompany, Moura and Silva to name but a few.

Outside of that Fergie openly admitted in his biography that there was miscommunication with Pep and himself as he saw him as a prime candidate for the role, but he went and joined Bayern instead. Leaving him having to pick Moyes! Which was a colossal feck up. One of the worst decisions by a top European club in recent times.

I've also felt Gill deserves a portion of blame also, he couldn't get away from the club quick enough once Fergie called it a day. Surely it would of been far more beneficial if he had stuck around 1 final year to assist with the transition? Aide Woodward in transfer dealings and similar tasks? We all so how badly that first window went.

If you look at some of the players signed since 2013 or even players already at the club their attitudes at times post Fergie are questionable at best. Social Media and their own business interests often seem to take priority over their actual job at the club.

Our managers as well have failed. I liked LVG and felt he did do some good work but I don't think it would of been enough to win a league. But his work with youth and adding some structure throughout the club was to be admired. His style of football however, not so much. He was said to be extremely over bearing and I felt this didn't help the players either.

Jose was a 180 in ideals and I believe he has only added to the growing player power and also hurt other areas like player fitness which could clearly be seen last season with our constant injuries and lack of work ethic from start to finish.

So bearing all that in mind, is it really fair to blame any singular person?

It looks like Maguire is in the bag and if we got Bruno Fernandes as well that would be 4 key areas in the squad addressed. I'd expect some players to leave in the final week or so of the window with Rojo, Jones and possibly Lukaku the likely names to be moved on.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing how Ole and Mike fair and I'm far more optimistic currently that I was one year ago.

BlueHaze

I think there's enough blame to be shared out between all. If you like many other anti glazer supporters believe its been 6 years of poor management then isn't it only fair to judge from that point forward?

Our team was allowed to age and quality decline from the Ronaldo sale to 2013, I think most agree on this. Where many differ is who is to blame? Many anti glazer supporters directly blame them, but I believe some blame should be apportioned to Fergie and his disliking of agents, in particular Raiola for example. We also missed out on other top players like Hazard, Kompany, Moura and Silva to name but a few.

Outside of that Fergie openly admitted in his biography that there was miscommunication with Pep and himself as he saw him as a prime candidate for the role, but he went and joined Bayern instead. Leaving him having to pick Moyes! Which was a colossal feck up. One of the worst decisions by a top European club in recent times.

I've also felt Gill deserves a portion of blame also, he couldn't get away from the club quick enough once Fergie called it a day. Surely it would of been far more beneficial if he had stuck around 1 final year to assist with the transition? Aide Woodward in transfer dealings and similar tasks? We all so how badly that first window went.

If you look at some of the players signed since 2013 or even players already at the club their attitudes at times post Fergie are questionable at best. Social Media and their own business interests often seem to take priority over their actual job at the club.

Our managers as well have failed. I liked LVG and felt he did do some good work but I don't think it would of been enough to win a league. But his work with youth and adding some structure throughout the club was to be admired. His style of football however, not so much. He was said to be extremely over bearing and I felt this didn't help the players either.

Jose was a 180 in ideals and I believe he has only added to the growing player power and also hurt other areas like player fitness which could clearly be seen last season with our constant injuries and lack of work ethic from start to finish.

It looks like Maguire is in the bag and if we got Bruno Fernandes as well that would be 4 key areas in the squad addressed. I'd expect some players to leave in the final week or so of the window with Rojo, Jones and possibly Lukaku the likely names to be moved on.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing how Ole and Mike fair and I'm far more optimistic currently that I was one year ago.
So adamant about defending Eddy and the Glazer's you are now blaming Sir Alex and Gill when it's been 6 years since they left. :lol:

Josep Dowling

They are all very valid points which some I do agree with. I certainly don’t blame just the Glazers or Woodward. I created a thread a few years ago stating it wasn’t just one person but so many factors as to why the club is in such a mess. It really is a series of unfortunate events that led to our current situation. There was a clear lack of planning for when Sir Alex retired but ultimately that comes down on the Glazers. It should not have been up to Sir Alex to find his replacement.

Gill and Sir Alex shouldn’t have left at the same time and it shouldn’t have been allowed. However Gill had already accepted a job with UEFA when Sir Alex said he was going to retire. I still believe it was poor of Sir Alex to say he was going to retire a few months before the end of the season. He mentions in his biography it was last minute decision caused by Cathy’s sister dying (from memory). But even at my place of work the partners have to give a years notice, I am truly amazed an institution the size of United didn’t have this in place considering the type of structure United had. Gill and Ferguson essentially ran the entire club.

I do disagree with you on the lack of spending though. In my mind Fergie would have spent more if he was given the chance to. I highly doubt he was happy with losing Ronaldo and Tevez only to be replaced with Owen, Obertan and Valencia. That was down to the Glazers not providing the funds. And Ferguson’s lack of trust in agents has been shown to be true with Raiola.

All the managers have to take the blame as well. Moyes was down to the fact none of the other top names wanted the job, I can only assume they knew it was impossible to follow Sir Alex. LVG sold too many players and bought too many duds. Mourinho did his usual.

I am frustrated like a lot of fans because whilst we spend big it’s never on the very best. When we finished 2nd and looked to get somewhere Woodward caused last season by not backing Mourinho. He shouldn’t have extended his contract and then not backed him. Mourinho knew at that point he couldn’t compete with Pep and wanted out. And ironically now we are about to spend £80m on a CB, something Woodward said he didn’t want to do last season. So who was right after all?