Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

romufc

I would say that all clubs have financial planning. That there is a "transfer budget" that refers to transfer fees is just not true IMO. Its FM thinking.
The wage budget is much, much more important than transfer fees; at least for players under 28.
My biggest issue with the original post was the fake news that Woodward "stated" that this was the case. Which is not true and as I said completely illogical that such a thing would even have been said.

Call it Financial planning or Wage budget, a club like Utd with the amount of money made by Utd (credit to Ed Woodward on this), we should not have to sell to buy. We are financially stable to be able to afford a £80m CB.
And if someone disagrees about the finances and suggests we have unsustainable wage bill then the players such as Jones, Mata, Young, Shaw, De Gea should't be given monster contracts ? We should find sellers for Rojo, Darmian etc to free up wages?

Sterling Archer

Call it Financial planning or Wage budget, a club like Utd with the amount of money made by Utd (credit to Ed Woodward on this), we should not have to sell to buy. We are financially stable to be able to afford a £80m CB.
And if someone disagrees about the finances and suggests we have unsustainable wage bill then the players such as Jones, Mata, Young, Shaw, De Gea should't be given monster contracts ? We should find sellers for Rojo, Darmian etc to free up wages?
Nail. On. Head.

Amir

Why does it take him so long to make signings? He is truly incompetent. This summer of all summers he should have been on it. Instead he’s gone on holiday, come back and done almost anything other than work on transfers. The guy needs to get his priorities in order
He's not even the one handling negotiations!

Plus the fairtales about him taking vacations in the summer which originate on Twitter are doing my head in.

clarkydaz

Plus we have inter desperate to give us over £60m plus whatever for Lukaku! We are desperate to stall/ avoid spending money :mad:

Johan07

Of course we can. How can anyone doubt that?
The relevant question is if Maguire is worth that amount of investment. That has nothing to do with if we are "financially stable" or not.
EDIT
You are contradicting yourself btw. So we are suckers for paying too much for some players. But we should overpay for Maguire so you can give the club schtick for buying him for too much money next year? Or I am misreading something?

romufc

Of course we can. How can anyone doubt that?
The relevant question is if Maguire is worth that amount of investment. That has nothing to do with if we are "financially stable" or not.
We can argue all day about if Maguire is worth the investment. The club is best placed to answer that question, agreed?

So in my view what happens, manager identifies targets, Ed will go and try get the first choice. So Ed knew Maguire is first choice probably May/ June? Then he would have approached Leicester and they said it early June the price is X. Does it take 2 months to decide whether he is worth the money? Okay you try negotiate, and if they are unwilling to budge, move onto another target?

Is there something I am missing here? He might be the perfect fit for Ole, but I am sure you can't finish 6th and say this is the player I want and no one else? you have to have other targets in mind.

Johan07

We can argue all day about if Maguire is worth the investment. The club is best placed to answer that question, agreed?

So in my view what happens, manager identifies targets, Ed will go and try get the first choice. So Ed knew Maguire is first choice probably May/ June? Then he would have approached Leicester and they said it early June the price is X. Does it take 2 months to decide whether he is worth the money? Okay you try negotiate, and if they are unwilling to budge, move onto another target?

Is there something I am missing here? He might be the perfect fit for Ole, but I am sure you can't finish 6th and say this is the player I want and no one else? you have to have other targets in mind.
But this is just speculation. You dont know how the negotiations has been going.
If we are going to speculate; my opinion on the CB issue is this:
I think the club wants a CB that would instantly take a place in the starting lineup and improve the team. An experienced one and/or if possible proven in the PL.
That seems to mean Koulibaly and/or Maguire.
Both seems to be incredible overpriced by their clubs.
If I would guess I dont think that OGS is interested in buying another CB-prospect that is going to need one or two years to adapt to the PL. That includes players like Skriniar and Milenkovic.
I dont think we will be buying a CB this summer if we cant come to an agreement for Maguire. The Koulibaly transfer seems to be dead and it should be if there is truth in what Napoli is asking.
So in summary, I dont think there is a plan B to Maguire. And as you said, the club should know best? Or?

Sterling Archer

Plus we have inter desperate to give us over £60m plus whatever for Lukaku! We are desperate to stall/ avoid spending money :mad:
If that were the messaging for the last several seasons, I'd have accepted it by now. Instead it was a lot of posturing in public about how we can outspend and take the market by storm. To hear how we have no problem spending $100 mil on say, Varane, to then not pay up for Koulibaly, supposedly not meet De Ligts (personal) contract valuation, and now back and forth over Maguire...that's what I find most frustrating. In an offseason to make big change we are once again, dithering.

romufc

But this is just speculation. You dont know how the negotiations has been going.
If we are going to speculate; my opinion on the CB issue is this:
I think the club wants a CB that would instantly take a place in the starting lineup and improve the team. An experienced one and/or if possible proven in the PL.
That seems to mean Koulibaly and/or Maguire.
Both seems to be incredible overpriced by their clubs.
If I would guess I dont think that OGS is interested in buying another CB-prospect that is going to need one or two years to adapt to the PL. That includes players like Skriniar and Milenkovic.
I dont think we will be buying a CB this summer if we cant come to an agreement for Maguire. The Koulibaly transfer seems to be dead and it should be if there is truth in what Napoli is asking.
So in summary, I dont think there is a plan B to Maguire. And as you said, the club should know best? Or?

Agreed.
I agree with all the points, that is why I am in favour of Magurie, not because i think he is the best Cb for £70-80m, because he seems to match what we are speculating Ole wants, which is what you have said above a ready made PL CB who can come in and Marshall the inexperience we have.

If Plan B is no CB, then shouldn't we be looking for a top draw CDM to shield the suspect back 4?

We just finished a season where we conceded the most goals, we seen in the game v Leeds we are still open at the back.

Johan07

Agreed.
I agree with all the points, that is why I am in favour of Magurie, not because i think he is the best Cb for £70-80m, because he seems to match what we are speculating Ole wants, which is what you have said above a ready made PL CB who can come in and Marshall the inexperience we have.

If Plan B is no CB, then shouldn't we be looking for a top draw CDM to shield the suspect back 4?

We just finished a season where we conceded the most goals, we seen in the game v Leeds we are still open at the back.
My opinion is that this should have been the main transfer objective to begin with. Regardless of new CB or not.
And a prospect as Longstaff as well. Garner is to young.
Someone to take minutes off and hopefully even replace Matic eventually.
I dont get why we are only linked with offensive midfielders like Fernandes and Eriksen when we are stacked at offensive midfield.
But again: just because its not reported does not mean that we are not looking.

Irwin99

At this rate I wouldn't mind if he just ditched Maguire and bought Toby from Spurs at a third of the price. I'm genuinely optimistic about some of the young players we have but it's too soon to expect them to turn around last season's horror show and we need reinforcements. Ed's very lucky Arsenal and Chelsea aren't in great shape either.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm honestly sick that the kids keep on being mentioned to justify the reason why we're skint. First of all, you don't win with kids ALONE. The class of 92 could rely on top people who provided the ideal support for them to succeed (SAF, Schmeichel, Bruce, Pally, Irwin, Keane, Cantona and Giggs). The current side lack such talent, leadership and organization. Secondly Im fed up of the club portraying us as ambitious when we can barely replace the players we lost, they can barely persuade the top guys to commit themselves to our cause or solve problems that had been there for years. Herrera should have never left, the squad is screaming for a CB and a RW while DDG's issues should have been sorted long ago

romufc

My opinion is that this should have been the main transfer objective to begin with. Regardless of new CB or not.
And a prospect as Longstaff as well. Garner is to young.
Someone to take minutes off and hopefully even replace Matic eventually.
I dont get why we are only linked with offensive midfielders like Fernandes and Eriksen when we are stacked at offensive midfield.
But again: just because its not reported does not mean that we are not looking.
Agreed. In the early stages of the window, I saw we were linked to Rice? That gave an indication that we looking for one.

Things have changed since. not sure why.

clarkydaz

If that were the messaging for the last several seasons, I'd have accepted it by now. Instead it was a lot of posturing in public about how we can outspend and take the market by storm. To hear how we have no problem spending $100 mil on say, Varane, to then not pay up for Koulibaly, supposedly not meet De Ligts (personal) contract valuation, and now back and forth over Maguire...that's what I find most frustrating. In an offseason to make big change we are once again, dithering.
We could have got him 12 months ago but Ed didn't deem him worth it, as we safely finished 2nd. Now we are desperate for top 4 and he is even more expensive

devilish

Agreed. In the early stages of the window, I saw we were linked to Rice? That gave an indication that we looking for one.

Things have changed since. not sure why.
I suspect that the club is incapable of signing more then 4 players a year. We might be able to push it to 5 but only if the transfers are relatively easy to make. Which is kind of silly considering the magnitude of this club. Juventus for example are already on their seventh signing (ok 1 was Buffon who was relatively easy). One of which (Demiral) is already rumoured that might be sold for a hefty profit.

romufc

That is the most frustrating bit from the fans point of view. To come out and say

we can do things in the transfer window other clubs can dream of.

We will back Ole in the rebuild

Then to do feck all, very poor show.

romufc

I suspect that the club is incapable of signing more then 4 players a year. We might be able to push it to 5 but only if the transfers are relatively easy to make. Which is kind of silly considering the magnitude of this club. Juventus for example are already on their seventh signing (ok 1 was Buffon who was relatively easy). One of which (Demiral) is already rumoured that might be sold for a hefty profit.
4? we have signed 2. Daniel James was relatively easy as well.

peridigm

Didn’t we sign 7 under LVG first season?

VanGaalyTime

Could we just please stop making stuff up. Please.

"After a turbulent season, everyone at Manchester United is focused on building towards the success that this great club expects and our fans deserve. Preparations for the new season are underway, and the underlying strength of our business will allow us to support the manager and his team as we look to the future."

Ed Woodward.

devilish

4? we have signed 2. Daniel James was relatively easy as well.
I am talking about our best case scenario mate. We all know whom we're aiming at third signing and Bruno will probably be the 4th target. Which means we won't be able to tackle 2 other key issues we have ie DM and RW. Which is kind of silly really. 4 signings a year might be good enough for a top side who needs to refresh the squad a bit. Its certainly not good enough for rebuilding.

devilish

Didn’t we sign 7 under LVG first season?
A rare exception rather then a rule. To note that one was a kid whom I think never stepped out of the academy while the other one was a loan.

romufc

I am talking about our best case scenario mate. We all know whom we're aiming at third signing and Bruno will probably be the 4th target. Which means we won't be able to tackle 2 other key issues we have ie DM and RW. Which is kind of silly really. 4 signings a year might be good enough for a top side who needs to refresh the squad a bit. Its certainly not good enough for rebuilding.
Oh agreed, but I doubt we will get 4 this summer. Just shows how poor the structure is really.

devilish

Oh agreed, but I doubt we will get 4 this summer. Just shows how poor the structure is really.
we might, just might, edge the 4th signing. If Lukaku is sold then we can even push to the 5th but only because Ben Yedder has a minimum fee clause that border to the ridiculous. That won't be enough.

What Woodward seem not to understand is that

a- 4 signings won't be enough. RW and DM need to be addressed
b- the more time pass the more difficult it will become. Take the Maguire deal as an example.If we cave in at the last minute they might still refuse the fee we give them as there would simply be not enough time for them to negotiate for a replacement.

clarkydaz

A rare exception rather then a rule. To note that one was a kid whom I think never stepped out of the academy while the other one was a loan.
LVG made 13 signings in 2 seasons:
Blind
Darmian
Depay
Dimaria
Falcao
Herrera
Martial
Rojo
Romero
Schneiderlin
Bastian
Shaw
Valdes

which blows out of the water we cannot multitask, its clearly by design dragging these deals out, and leaking emails about an inflated market

romufc

we might, just might, edge the 4th signing. If Lukaku is sold then we can even push to the 5th but only because Ben Yedder has a minimum fee clause that border to the ridiculous. That won't be enough.

What Woodward seem not to understand is that

a- 4 signings won't be enough. RW and DM need to be addressed
b- the more time pass the more difficult it will become. Take the Maguire deal as an example.If we cave in at the last minute they might still refuse the fee we give them as there would simply be not enough time for them to negotiate for a replacement.

I am glad one of us has hope for 5 signings.

From what I have seen from Woodward this summer and last, he has no clue what the club needs?

I reckon Ole wants Sancho as RW and is willing to wait a year and see how Martial and Sanchez fare this year? But little does he know, woodward wont back him on that transfer, it will be £100m plus.

devilish

LVG made 13 signings in 2 seasons:
Blind
Darmian
Depay
Dimaria
Falcao
Herrera
Martial
Rojo
Romero
Schneiderlin
Bastian
Shaw
Valdes

which blows out of the water we cannot multitask, its clearly by design dragging these deals out, and leaking emails about an inflated market
Lets have a look at the deals shall we? Falcao was on loan and Monaco wanted him out. Valdes & Romero were on a free while Bastian was heavier burden on Bayern's payroll then Brexit is for the Tory party. Out of that list I can come out with 2 maybe 3 difficult signings.

clarkydaz

Lets have a look at the deals shall we? Falcao was on loan and Monaco wanted him out. Valdes & Romero were on a free while Bastian was heavier burden on Bayern's payroll then Brexit is for the Tory party. Out of that list I can come out with 2 maybe 3 difficult signings.
They are still deals that have to be discussed and concluded. Some of those players played in the world cup that summer and were united players straight after it. doesn't add up, the board are even more experienced now 4 years later

Signing a crystal palace fullback when nobody else is in for him shouldn't take as long as it did for a club our size

SteveW

Do people blame Woodward for the signings and bad management? Surely LVG and Mourinho have to take most of the blame?

romufc

They are still deals that have to be discussed and concluded. Some of those players played in the world cup that summer and were united players straight after it. doesn't add up, the board are even more experienced now 4 years later

Signing a crystal palace fullback when nobody else is in for him shouldn't take as long as it did for a club our size

We have actually got worse by the year when it comes to dealing with transfers.

I feel it is a directive from the Glazers not to sign anyone. How can you not finish top 4 in 6 seasons and only sign 2 players. It is totally unacceptable for Manutd.

Fans are content with it, we have become the new Arsenal.

SteveW

They could have signed him earlier for 70 million.

SteveW

We have actually got worse by the year when it comes to dealing with transfers.

I feel it is a directive from the Glazers not to sign anyone. How can you not finish top 4 in 6 seasons and only sign 2 players. It is totally unacceptable for Manutd.

Fans are content with it, we have become the new Arsenal.
:confused:

Sterling Archer

"After a turbulent season, everyone at Manchester United is focused on building towards the success that this great club expects and our fans deserve. Preparations for the new season are underway, and the underlying strength of our business will allow us to support the manager and his team as we look to the future."

Ed Woodward.
@Johan07 if you're going to make unhelpful claims that folks are crying wolf, it behooves you to acknowledge your mistake when the direct quotes are placed on your lap for you. Frankly, i don't know how you've missed these. Woodward is anything but media shy when it comes to flexing.

Amir

Yes, we can pay 80m for a centerhalf. Does it mean we have to rush in and pay whatever we are asked?

Agree about the wage bill, which is why I don't understand some of the new contract given to players we could have gotten rid of. Obviously we can't just keep adding more and more players. We have to let some go, but it's like we have a mental problem letting go.

Amir

Ed Woodward.
Nothing here about 200m budget.

clarkydaz

I felt that this got overlooked at the time. Fergie wouldn't have said that without meaning to imply what he did. He's basically telling us what the problem is, though most of us realise.
yeah surprised the media didn't blow that up, as he doesn't speak much in public now. With Neville having rants about the board on sky, LVG and Jose outbursts it just seems accepted the football club is a shambles now

Johan07

@Johan07 if you're going to make unhelpful claims that folks are crying wolf, it behooves you to acknowledge your mistake when the direct quotes are placed on your lap for you. Frankly, i don't know how you've missed these. Woodward is anything but media shy when it comes to flexing.
What are you talking about?
I was replying to the claim that Woodward stated that we had a 200m transfer budget. Its false and quite frankly stupid to think that any CEO would say something similar.

Sterling Archer

What are you talking about?
I was replying to the claim that Woodward stated that we had a 200m transfer budget. Its false and quite frankly stupid to think that any CEO would say something similar.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Ed Woodward has literally come out and said incredible things that rebuff our position and leverage in the transfer market multiple times in multiple interviews.

You've got other posters digging them up constantly, including videos of him saying these inane things.

So to reiterate, stop pretending like he's not shooting himself in the foot. He is. Even an exaggeration of 200 by a poster is not nearly as bad as going the other way and saying Eds scott free.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm honestly sick that the kids keep on being mentioned to justify the reason why we're skint. First of all, you don't win with kids ALONE. The class of 92 could rely on top people who provided the ideal support for them to succeed (SAF, Schmeichel, Bruce, Pally, Irwin, Keane, Cantona and Giggs). The current side lack such talent, leadership and organization. Secondly Im fed up of the club portraying us as ambitious when we can barely replace the players we lost, they can barely persuade the top guys to commit themselves to our cause or solve problems that had been there for years. Herrera should have never left, the squad is screaming for a CB and a RW while DDG's issues should have been sorted long ago
We can win with kids, just not any kids.