Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Fluctuation0161

No it didn't. United made €269 million-a-year (US$308.7 million) from 68 commercial deals last year. Barcelona are the only other team in the world to break the €200m mark. Our sponsorship money is more than our TV revenue. European clubs are talking about starting a super league because they get feck all from the Champions League and they haven't got the money to compete with the English teams.
Our sponsorship money has always been one of the highest in world football. Even pre Woodward and before the Glazers.

To answer your early statement about how he got into the position. Woodward sorted the dodgy (now regulated against) method the Glazers used to saddle this club with obscene amounts of debt during their take over. That's what he is good at.

Fluctuation0161

No they haven't. Barcelona are the only other club to break €200m in commercial revenue. United made €269 million-a-year (US$308.7 million) from 68 commercial deals last year. More than any other club.
You keep quoting that figure but you need context. Where was United's commercial income (in relation to other football clubs) before Woodward?

Fahad Jawaid

I actually think we need atleast 7 to 8 players, however i will be fairly satisfied if we will sign these 5 players this summer.
De Ligt (70m)
Muenier (25m)
Rabiot (free)
Partey (45m)
Sancho (100m)

Thats approximately 250m of incomings, however we will also let go alot of players plus we will probably also let go of Lukaku, thus our net spend will probably be 150m. I hope if we let go of Lukaku, we try to sign Jovic or Felix to make it 250m.

This team can compete for league/champions league.

Ddg
Muenier Lindelof De Ligt Shaw
Rabiot Partey Pogba
Sancho Felix/Jovic Martial/Rashford

oz insomniac

Was thinking that this off season and the recruits that the club needs and Ole wants are a massive test for Woody.. He appointed Ole relatively early as a vote of confidence, so the question then becomes how confident are we in Woody actually getting the transfers correct and done.

Really important as it seems only the Glazers feel comfortable with Teflon Ed in that seat, fingers crossed he actually performs as well as he thinks he does. Otherwise it's a long difficult EPL year ahead, which could see clubs beneath us in a position to push ManUtd below even 6th.

crossy1686

career ending
It is to be sure going up, and up, and up. But it is not to be seen on the pitch. And that is the problem.
Agreed. I’m no supporter of Ed by any stretch but him overseeing Arnold and the financial team has saw our biggest revenue ever. In a way, without him pulling the strings on that side, we'd just be an AC Milan now and properly fecked but at the same time, his involvement with the footballing side of the club knocks me sick. Almost a decade of failure at this point.

crossy1686

career ending
This isn't in context versus other premiership clubs. The point is that all premiership clubs have grown.
The point is that other PL teams make no where near what we make. Even City who fake their deals don't come close to us.

When you look at commercial revenue only, United are head and shoulders above everyone else. TV money is what's helping the other English clubs.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The point is that other PL teams make no where near what we make. Even City who fake their deals don't come close to us.

When you look at commercial revenue only, United are head and shoulders above everyone else. TV money is what's helping the other English clubs.
Aye, Eds quality at Sponsorship deals.

Sterling Archer

Found this from a few months ago. Has some interesting points about Woodward.

https://lazyfansports.com/ed-woodward-problem
This has made my blood boil. Deserves it's own thread by the way.

This guy isn't the only one to put that story forward. The "Woodward signing" theme goes back all the way to the Mata transfer. Plenty of rumours about Di Maria too. The problem is that there's no evidence of any of it being true (that I'm aware, at least).

If Woodward has been meddling to that extent I find it odd that nothing substantial has surfaced. Mourinho has made no mention of it. LVG, who has been more direct in his criticism of Woodward than Mourinho, hasn't said anything about it either.

I can easily believe that Woodward has preferences with regard to player profiles (in a word, marketability) - but that's a far cry from buying players behind the manager's back.

Also - Bailly? Why should he of all players be particularly attractive to Woodward?
His meddling was pretty clear back then. LVG said he was gifted Martial with no heads up. It explains Woodward's reluctance to move him on. Thought Falcao was the same story.

Question: are we certain Jose wanted Lukaku? Morata had dyed his hair red. Lukaku was previously let go by Jose. Was that 'coup' a Woodward decision?

Sterling Archer

Do you mean Moyes ?
No mate. He's referring to letting Fellaini's release clause end before paying an extra £15 million.

Not long after you may recall he tried to play chicken with Inter and their FFP needs when negotiating for Perisic.

SER19

If he fails to deliver a top class defender this summer and is still in a job at the start of the summer I might pack it in.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No mate. He's referring to letting Fellaini's release clause end before paying an extra £15 million.

Not long after you may recall he tried to play chicken with Inter and their FFP needs when negotiating for Perisic.
I thought we paid an extra 15m for Fellaini because Dave wasn't being assertive that first Summer and didn't know what he wanted. Resulting in us panic buying Fellaini at the end of the Summer. I seem to recall thats how that Summer went as I was very happy we didn't buy him initially and was then extremely annoyed we bought him after the clause expired. (I didn't like him as a player).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Not long after y

An extra 15m? :lol:
Time doesn't half warp the facts

It was at most 4m or so extra which was pretty dumb.

But 15!

luke511

Martial Felix Sancho
Pogba Rabiot
Longstaff
Shaw Lindelof De ligt Wan Bissaka
Henderson​

Bench: Romero, James, McTominay, Smalling, Laird/Greenwood, Fred, Rashford

In -

Felix - £100 million
Sancho - £100 million
De Ligt - £80 million
Longstaff - £30 million
Wan Bissaka - £45 million
Daniel James - £15 million
Rabiot - Free

Total - £370 million

Out -

Lukaku - £55 million
De Gea - £60 million
Darmian - £5 million
Sanchez - £10 million

Total - £130 million

Total spend = £240 million

Has Woodward got the balls to spend £240 million this summer?

Sterling Archer

I thought we paid an extra 15m for Fellaini because Dave wasn't being assertive that first Summer and didn't know what he wanted. Resulting in us panic buying Fellaini at the end of the Summer. I seem to recall thats how that Summer went as I was very happy we didn't buy him initially and was then extremely annoyed we bought him after the clause expired. (I didn't like him as a player).
I used to think that was the case. But after several seasons I am really thinking Woodward was at fault.

The insistence on going after the superstar names was probably Woodward. Fabregas Krood Bale.

Johan07

Martial Felix Sancho
Pogba Rabiot
Longstaff
Shaw Lindelof De ligt Wan Bissaka
Henderson​

Bench: Romero, James, McTominay, Smalling, Laird/Greenwood, Fred, Rashford

In -

Felix - £100 million
Sancho - £100 million
De Ligt - £80 million
Longstaff - £30 million
Wan Bissaka - £45 million
Daniel James - £15 million
Rabiot - Free

Total - £370 million

Out -

Lukaku - £55 million
De Gea - £60 million
Darmian - £5 million
Sanchez - £10 million

Total - £130 million

Total spend = £240 million

Has Woodward got the balls to spend £240 million this summer?
Of course the club does.
Transfer fees and especially net spend are close to irrelevant factors. United would have no problem investing that money in those players since they are young and would not lose asset value if they dont completely flop.
The important thing is our wage bill, and getting rid of Sanchez and Lukaku as well as not giving De Gea a new contract would probably be close enough to enable us to fit those players in under our wage bill. Maybe. Rabiot, De Ligt and Sancho will all be 250k plus in wages.

Sterling Archer

Maybe explain to yourself first, that we didn't pay 15m extra for fellaini. It was 4m
Ah my mistake. Sorry. I thought you were jumping on me for making a big deal about £15m not that the amount was wrong.

My point issue w Ed is the same thougg

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah my mistake. Sorry. I thought you were jumping on me for making a big deal about £15m not that the amount was wrong.

My point issue w Ed is the same thougg
Deffo not. Even now i hate to see people saying 15-20m is nothing and no risk :D

Paying 4m extra for fellaini was outrageous stupidity

Keefy18

I used to think that was the case. But after several seasons I am really thinking Woodward was at fault.

The insistence on going after the superstar names was probably Woodward. Fabregas Krood Bale.
It was Moyes for god sake, there are countless interview in the years since where Moyes himself has stated that Kroos had agreed to sign with us but then joined Real. Cesc was very publicly chased and stated he had no desire to join United at all.

I don't get this nonsense about "Galactico" signings at all. I mean do any of Blind, Herrera, Shaw, Bailly, Rojo, Martial, Matic, Lindelof, Lukaku etc etc fall into that category?

A galactico is a ready made world class signing who is arguably best in his position and highly sought after.

The players who fall into a "Galactico" bracket are whom?
  • Pogba - Jose was bulling to sign him all summer long and demanded him.
  • Zlatan - Again, Jose had a hard on to sign him and Zlatan also was eager to play for us and spoke fondly of Jose and their time at Inter.
  • ADM - Who was arguably the best wide attacking player in all of Europe and was the best player for Real in the CL win a few months prior to signing, so why wouldn't we want him?
  • Sanchez - A player Jose seemed to want to push Martial out the door.
  • Falcao - Practically a freebie, worth the risk but it didn't work out due to his injuries and slow recovery from them.
Our fan base is currently rolling out incredible double standards in that...

If Woodward doesn't sign players, he's over ruling the manager
If Woodward is signing players, he's only after Galacticos...apparently.

It can't work both ways! The fact is a lot of money has been spent and lack of footballing structure is on the managers as its their job to roll that side of things out, as that is the current structure in place at the club.

Woodward has clearly brought in a lot of talented individuals over the last 6 years and its the managers failing to get the to work in a team that's the issue and that isn't a chief execs job, but that doesn't seem to matter to our fan base at all.

If folks want to blame him on something, blame him on the out dated structure still at the club..although there are murmurs of a TD coming in to assist with rebuilding, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reality is with regards transfer dealings its a bit of give and take, Ferguson never got every single player his heart desired. Edwards routinely said no to him and he had to find other targets elsewhere. I mean he missed out on Batistuta and signed Yorke, by the end of that season we won a treble.

Our current fan base though are hyperbolic and revising history and looking for people to blame on things that don't fall under their job remit.

luke511

Of course the club does.
Transfer fees and especially net spend are close to irrelevant factors. United would have no problem investing that money in those players since they are young and would not lose asset value if they dont completely flop.
The important thing is our wage bill, and getting rid of Sanchez and Lukaku as well as not giving De Gea a new contract would probably be close enough to enable us to fit those players in under our wage bill. Maybe. Rabiot, De Ligt and Sancho will all be 250k plus in wages.
Very wishful thinking but nice to know there's a chance.

Johan07

It was Moyes for god sake, there are countless interview in the years since where Moyes himself has stated that Kroos had agreed to sign with us but then joined Real. Cesc was very publicly chased and stated he had no desire to join United at all.

I don't get this nonsense about "Galactico" signings at all. I mean do any of Blind, Herrera, Shaw, Bailly, Rojo, Martial, Matic, Lindelof, Lukaku etc etc fall into that category?

A galactico is a ready made world class signing who is arguably best in his position and highly sought after.

• Zlatan - Again, Jose had a hard on to sign him and Zlatan also was eager to play for us and spoke fondly of Jose and their time at Inter.
  • ADM - Who was arguably the best wide attacking player in all of Europe and was the best player for Real in the CL win a few months prior to signing, so why wouldn't we want him?
  • Falcao - Practically a freebie, worth the risk but it didn't work out due to his injuries and slow recovery from them.

It can't work both ways! The fact is a lot of money has been spent and lack of footballing structure is on the managers as its their job to roll that side of things out, as that is the current structure in place at the club.

Woodward has clearly brought in a lot of talented individuals over the last 6 years and its the managers failing to get the to work in a team that's the issue and that isn't a chief execs job, but that doesn't seem to matter to our fan base at all.

If folks want to blame him on something, blame him on the out dated structure still at the club..although there are murmurs of a TD coming in to assist with rebuilding, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reality is with regards transfer dealings its a bit of give and take, Ferguson never got every single player his heart desired. Edwards routinely said no to him and he had to find other targets elsewhere. I mean he missed out on Batistuta and signed Yorke, by the end of that season we won a treble.

Our current fan base though are hyperbolic and revising history and looking for people to blame on things that don't fall under their job remit.
Excellent post. Prepare to be ripped to bits for it.

Keefy18

Excellent post. Prepare to be ripped to bits for it.
Thanks, I know its not popular at all but that's the reality of the situation.

He inherited a s*it show after Gill done a runner and he still takes his share as a board member too. Never any hate directed his way though is there?

The biggest mistake is not modernizing the club, but guess what... folks are having a meltdown over that as well and buying into G Nevs moronic rants hook, line and sinker as well.

It was Woodward who apparently suggested a DoF / TD to Jose but Jose didn't like being over ruled in terms of transfer / squad decisions. He wanted squad autonomy.

In that situation what is Woodward to do? If he hires a DoF he is over ruling, if he doesn't then he's not doing his job apparently and modernizing.

With Jose gone perhaps the plan is being put into place. It's a balls having to sit round and wait and see if when is in fact hired but if it means making the right choice for the sake of the club I'm OK with it.

Our fan base is just in meltdown and when things go wrong at a club the fans want some one to blame.

Sterling Archer

There's no double standard. I hate Woodward and will attribute every little mistake on him. That's the treatment each of our failed managers have had. So now it's only fair to focus on Ed. As we already have fans turning on Ole I don't think it's even remotely inappropriate to blame everything on the smug finance egoman iacleading out football club.

Johan07

There's no double standard. I hate Woodward and will attribute every little mistake on him. That's the treatment each of our failed managers have had. So now it's only fair to focus on Ed. As we already have fans turning on Ole I don't think it's even remotely inappropriate to blame everything on the smug finance egoman iacleading out football club.
You mean the CEO with an almost exact CV like David Gill who he took over from?

Sterling Archer

You mean the CEO with an almost exact CV like David Gill who he took over from?
David Gill wasn't a smug egomaniac though.

Edit: and that's not my opinion. Its how the rest of the football community views the difference between the two

Johan07

David Gill wasn't a smug egomaniac though.
Do you seriously think that you can make that assessment of a person that never gives interviews and whose only communication outside the club is his quarterly IR calls which he is obliged to hold since the club is listed on NYSEC? But maybe you know Woodward personally?
You should really grow up and focus your hatred somewhere where it might be useful.

Sterling Archer

Do you seriously think that you can make that assessment of a person that never gives interviews and whose only communication outside the club is his quarterly IR calls which he is obliged to hold since the club is listed on NYSEC? But maybe you know Woodward personally?
You should really grow up and focus your hatred somewhere where it might be useful.
I'm going off his exact words given to the press that you apparently have missed. As well as what managers like LVG, Klopp, Jose and even Sir Alex have said about him being difficult. Plus also looking at the financial deals under him which are extremely unimpressive. And I'm topping that disgust filled sundae with the cherry of him being a principle mind behind the Glazer's takeover of the club.

Most importantly, who are you to tell me to not share my opinion of Ed Woodward in an Ed Woodward thread on a forum for sharing opinions related to Manchester United? Like, literally feck off with that attitude.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Regarding football topic( squad, transfers, managers) he is hot and cold. I think that he had totally fecked up in season 1 when he did everything wrong. After that he did very good job with hiring two best managers in business and buying ( at that time) good players. Lets be honest here, we all wanted ADM, Falcao, Shaw, Pogba, Zlatan....

This year he completely fecked up everything. First, he refused to buy players that his manager wanted. It is situation where he should have either buy them or sack Jose. Then instead waiting till the end of the season, he decided to hire permanently Ole after only 2 months.

montecristo5000

He is a problem, but I think the good thing is that he seems to have listened and changed his approach in this transfer window. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, they seem to be going for the right types of players - young and hungry. The more he stays away from the football side of things, the better, though.

I wrote a blog about it. https://theclassof1992.blogspot.com/2019/05/things-that-have-gone-wrong-at-united.html