Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

marktan

Killing our club from the top. But people would rather blame the likes of Pogba.

Yakuza_devils

People keep saying that he is a good CEO because he make tons of money for the club. But CEO of RM, Barca and Bayern Munich also make tons of money for their club. The main difference is that the CEO of those clubs are also known to be making excellent decisions on football side.

Ed is overrated, Man Utd is the most supported club in the world and any decent CEO can make us tons of money. What we actually need is a CEO with footballing background and not an investment banker or accountant where money is the priority.

Traub

A football club's goal is to delivery trophies not to make the shareholders rich.
A football club that is a company has the same goals as any other company - make the shareholders rich. Usually delivering trophies is a pre-requisite to making shareholders rich, but that isn’t the case for us.

manutddjw

I blame Ed for a lot of things and to me he’ll always be a dick for what he did to Rio, but, he doesn’t come up with the tactics, lineup, nor is he one of the players who can finally start deciding to care.

Structurally we have issues, but on the pitch a lot of these issues should be fixed on the training ground and in the dressing room. Just because we don’t have a director of football doesn’t mean Young should be hoofing the ball for example.

stubie

I blame Ed for a lot of things and to me he’ll always be a dick for what he did to Rio, but, he doesn’t come up with the tactics, lineup, nor is he one of the players who can finally start deciding to care.

Structurally we have issues, but on the pitch a lot of these issues should be fixed on the training ground and in the dressing room. Just because we don’t have a director of football doesn’t mean Young should be hoofing the ball for example.
But he’s the daft fecker giving them new contracts!

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He fecks everything up.

Even the jose sacking. It was way too late. The ole appointment too early.

Not adding in January.
Extending jose then not backing him.

Its utter shambles.

el3mel

Hopefully he's preparing his new list of sponsorship deals to cover for yet another season without CL football. Get in Woody!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
But he’s the daft fecker giving them new contracts!
That's Matt Judge, who is Woodwards underling. His claim to fame is 13 years in investment banking (aka one of Woodward's pals). I believe the main failing of Ed Woodward is his complete inability to hire with foresight and planning.

Scholsey2004

Woodward is a big part of player selection and has final say on all transfers as he controls the purse strings. He's also responsible for contract negotiations and renewals, both of which have been catastrophic.

croadyman

He has slowly killed our club since he was appointed and I will never ever forgive him for causing such long term damage that could take years to repair, breaks my heart to see Utd left in such a mess because we have got a guy in charge who hasn't a clue on the Football side of things

Sylar

The only reason making Ole permanent before end of season would make sense would be to help negotiate deals for players who are reluctant with no manager in place (and without a structure to suit a style)

If we hired Ole and we haven't even begun negotiations we are fooked for the new year as evidence seems to indicate ed needs to negotiate one by one

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The fact that this thread is far below all the other ones annoys me.

He's not getting the criticism he should be getting after 6 years and 3 failed managerial appointments.

The gormless bastard should not be behind any footballing decisions ever.

Giggs86

While us fans care about our club's success, the suits in charge only care about the end of the quarter bottom line revenue for the shareholders. As long as we're profitable nothing will change unfortunately.

Intilo

He should never have any footballing decision, stick him on getting contract endorsement only. Not even God knows why this guy thought Smalling and Jones is better than the likes of Toby Alderweireld and Koulibaly

jem

He fecks everything up.

Not adding in January.

Its utter shambles.
Agree 100%. I'm sure he'll feck up the DOF thing as well.

Kammy26

Hopefully he's preparing his new list of sponsorship deals to cover for yet another season without CL football. Get in Woody!
I genuinely hope our popularity starts faltering and the sponsorships dry up, only then will the glazers do something, by either replacing Woodward or selling up. It’s our only hope.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The David Moyes of CEOs except here he is six years later and counting.

Patrick08

Ed wont go, the Glazers love him.
Glazers love him for what? He is bringing in money but has equally wasted the money in transfer market while destroying the club as footballing elite.

Why do they keep loving him for his mediocrity?

SirAF

Ageist
Glazers love him for what? He is bringing in money but has equally wasted the money in transfer market while destroying the club as footballing elite.

Why do they keep loving him for his mediocrity?
Because the club is thriving financially, and that’s the only thing the owners care about.

Patrick08

Because the club is thriving financially, and that’s the only thing the owners care about.
We are set to lose our financial position as well with Europa league and a massive spend on our hands again yielding very mediocre rewards. It's not like there are no competent man left who wont do this and churn out money on a very successful past image.

Un4givableB

He fecks everything up.

Not adding in January.

Its utter shambles.
He & Glazer are about money they extended Jose deal in order not to back him, 2nd place was fine with them, why spend lots of more money on the team. Say what you like about Jose he needs/wants to win.

Bestofthebest

Man Utd get absolutely nothing out of me in terms of money. I used to watch them home and away in the days of pay at the turnstile and a large part of my income was spent on watching them, traveling etc. However, since I got a proper job and a family I have rarely been inside OT on match days but did get my two boys interested and they are now devoted Utd fans and have both been season ticket holders in the past. I have not been at OT since the Glazers took over and will not go there again whilst they are the owners. Why should I? I can watch most matches live on TV either at home or in the pub. I don't need to travel or sit in traffic trying to get away from OT and I save loads of money. More importantly I do not contribute to the Glazers wealth. I am still an avid fan and always will be but I refuse to support the Glazers and what they are doing to my club.

If everyone did what I am doing ( plus quite a few others I know ) the club profits would fall and hence the value of the club and maybe someone else apart from the Saudi Royal Family could afford to buy us and get us back to where we once were. Perhaps this is just the sad aspiration of an old man dreaming of days gone by, but I live in hope because this club will NEVER be a true success under the present regime.

Lentwood

Killing our club from the top. But people would rather blame the likes of Pogba.
I agree with the first half of that post but the problem is it is because of the 'commercial' culture that Ed has created that the likes of Pogba have been allowed to become bigger than the club

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Enough of him being in charge of footballing affair. Hires the wrong managers. Gives pointless contracts. No overarching football direction.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He lost all credibility when he approached one of the best managers in the world and the latter turned the offer down and referred to Woodward's plan for United as an adult Disneyland. He then went on to manage our fiercest rivals. What we're witnessing now is the aftermath of all this.

Eddy_JukeZ

Only the Glazers would still give him power on the football side of things.

Him and the Glazers need to go. They don't care about the club on the field.

hungrywing

He lost all credibility when he approached one of the best managers in the world and the latter turned the offer down and referred to Woodward's plan for United as an adult Disneyland. He then went on to manage our fiercest rivals. What we're witnessing now is the aftermath of all this.
Really good point.

Any top-level person in any field would be turned off/weirded out by that kind of talk. The fact that Woodward employed it speaks volumes.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I have to choose between him staying or Young at RB for next season, I'd choose Young.

Happens when You appointed the marketing guy to take care of footballing side while still responsible of sponsorships. Two separate things.