Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His position is untenable.
Welbeck, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Ronaldo were sold for more than 15 million. Selling part is not important as we only sold when the player was of no use and not good enough anymore.

Money spent and the squad we have is just incredible.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Think it is safe to say the Glazer's expect Woodward to keep the dollars flowing in and have little concern for his transfer dealings.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Welbeck, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Ronaldo were sold for more than 15 million. Selling part is not important as we only sold when the player was of no use and not good enough anymore.

Money spent and the squad we have is just incredible.
This isn't true, Liverpool and Chelsea also sell players when they are of no use but are able to sell for good prices which leaves them with money to reinvest.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This isn't true, Liverpool and Chelsea also sell players when they are of no use but are able to sell for good prices which leaves them with money to reinvest.
I was talking more from historical point, like it was mentioned 15 years. Under SAF we only sold when player was of no use to us and it's hard to get money for them. Then PL changed with so much money.

Is that incredibly amazing or incredibly average?
Incredibly average.

Thisistheone

His position is untenable.
Look at that, so little top quality. How has Woodward been so bad?

So grim. Makes you sad to see how the club has fallen while we have to watch City and Liverpool move miles ahead of us.

And worryingly, how far will we continue to fall with Woodward and these owners.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Imagine if this guy was running Madrid. The fans would have killed him by now.

Not going anywhere until we get rid of this clown.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I was talking more from historical point, like it was mentioned 15 years. Under SAF we only sold when player was of no use to us and it's hard to get money for them. Then PL changed with so much money.
Indeed and in the last 10 years we have been utter trash at selling players, so much so that instead of selling players we no longer want we end up giving them new contracts

romufc

Ed Woodward has shows in the last 2 years why a commercial man cannot run a football club. Brilliant to get commercial deals but completely lost when it comes to footballing matters.

In the last few years we have been linked with every player but landing no one.

Not signing the right player - Sanchez..

Not backing the manager - Jose needed a CB.

Lack of football knowledge - Manutd have needed a RW and RB for god knows how long.

Contracts - Signing Jones, Smalling, Young, all on bumper contracts and now we cannot get rid of them.

What has he done right ? This transfer window has the same patterns, linked with everyone but not delivering what Ole wants.

Another season of struggles.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Indeed and in the last 10 years we have been utter trash at selling players, so much so that instead of selling players we no longer want we end up giving them new contracts
Also giving away a player the manager wanted to keep through incompetence.

kaiser00

It’s like buying all these designers clothes that look shite on you and your mates taking the piss. Only later you can’t even give them away on Gumtree!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sigh... well the previous manager didn't want him... if only we had a DOF...
Think that is what it comes down to. You look at the way we got rid of LvG, the right decision, but the manner, just shows how this club is run. The players and manager are no longer human beings and the fans are customers. They just treat everybody with contempt.

Patrick08

He excels at selling, he sold lies to the fans, players and managers and those sponsors too all these years. Now it has got to the point he can not sell lies to managers and the players anymore, fans on the other hand are just customers who are forced to buy a poor product just because they love the club.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ed Woodward has shows in the last 2 years why a commercial man cannot run a football club. Brilliant to get commercial deals but completely lost when it comes to footballing matters.

Lack of football knowledge - Manutd have needed a RW and RB for god knows how long.

Contracts - Signing Jones, Smalling, Young, all on bumper contracts and now we cannot get rid of them.

What has he done right ? This transfer window has the same patterns, linked with everyone but not delivering what Ole wants.

Most of the Cafe wanted Sanchez, Mou wanted him too, i think. Last season United signed an expensive right back, this season the club brought an even more expensive one in. The club went out and splashed big money on the likes of Di Maria and Depay.

Can't argue with the contracts. All of them should have been shown the door.

The club has to spend big money on multiple players, not happening so difficult season ahead of us. Still with the players available top 4 should be at least possible.

Patrick08

Think that is what it comes down to. You look at the way we got rid of LvG, the right decision, but the manner, just shows how this club is run. The players and manager are no longer human beings and the fans are customers. They just treat everybody with contempt.
Exactly. He has even destroyed the family within the club.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ed Woodward has made a lot of mistakes, but how many of the players we bought are due to him personally. He likes the flashy signings so I guess Di, Maria Falcao, Pogba and Lukaku are signings he might have unilaterally decided. But shit like Rojo, Damian, Fred, Fellaini, etc isn't down to him but down to the managers.

romufc

Most of the Cafe wanted Sanchez, Mou wanted him too, i think. Last season United signed an expensive right back, this season the club brought an even more expensive one in. The club went out and splashed big money on the likes of Di Maria and Depay.

Can't argue with the contracts. All of them should have been shown the door.

The club has to spend big money on multiple players, not happening so difficult season ahead of us. Still with the players available top 4 should be at least possible.
I agree the money was spent on them players, hence I mentioned last 2 years. Since the Pogba signing. Dalot was signed as a backup who was not ready to start, AWB is ready and is a brilliant signing.

But if we lose Pogba, and not spend his money, top 4 would be a struggle. You cannot expect the players to finish top 4 if they have minimal premier league experience
AWB - Year xp
Lindelof - 2 years xp
CB - all other CB's are injury prone
LB - Shaw -only position of minimal concern

CM - Fred 1 year xp
CM - Mctominay 1 year

We need 4 more in this squad imo.

CB
CM
CM
RW

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Ed Woodward has made a lot of mistakes, but how many of the players we bought are due to him personally. He likes the flashy signings so I guess Di, Maria Falcao, Pogba and Lukaku are signings he might have unilaterally decided. But shit like Rojo, Damian, Fred, Fellaini, etc isn't down to him but down to the managers.
This is exactly why we need a DOF. Our recruitment strategy should remain the same between managers, and we should aim to play one style kind of football, regardless of who is in charge

We're not going to get that when the club is ranbas a business first, when really the football should come first.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

Another weakness is the lack of a medium - long term vision. The way City prepared for Pep. The way Liverpool are set-up. Having everything in line regarding managers, scouts, coaches, DoF etc.

Woodward has gone from Van Gaal, a possession manager to Mourinho, a manager who doesn't want possession, to Solskjaer, who wants to bring in people who understand the club and young british talent. Each manager wanted their own type of player and we're left with a a blend of players bought by 3 very different managers.

Can you imagine City appointing someone like Simeone or Allegri when Pep leaves? And suddenly having to shift Pep types like Ederson, Laporte and Rodri so that Simeone can have his type of player instead. No chance. They will appoint a manager with similar ideas. Liverpool will replace Klopp with someone similar. No doubt these clubs already have some kind of plan in place, ready for this. Who cares about any other club right now, these 2 are our biggest rivals and the ones to catch. We need to be run as good as them or better.

I will bet Woodward and Co. have no idea what our manager and squad will look like this time next year, let alone the next 3-5 years.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I agree the money was spent on them players, hence I mentioned last 2 years. Since the Pogba signing. Dalot was signed as a backup who was not ready to start, AWB is ready and is a brilliant signing.

But if we lose Pogba, and not spend his money, top 4 would be a struggle. You cannot expect the players to finish top 4 if they have minimal premier league experience
AWB - Year xp
Lindelof - 2 years xp

CM - Fred 1 year xp
CM - Mctominay 1 year

CB
CM
CM
RW
First of all we shouldn't be losing Pogba, who is for me the best midfield player in the Premiership.

I'd absolutely want to get a right winger. Another attacking midfielder is important because of the loss of Herrera and Fellaini. Sell Rojo and if possible Jones and sign a centre back, but i think we have more pressing concerns.

Last season Dalot should have been played a lot more, he looked very good to me, very annoying that two coaches thought differently. It's not looking too good for Dalot with the recent purchase.

Can't get my head around how a club such as United can't sign someone like Dembele or Sancho who would hit the ground running instantly and improve the chances of a top 4 finish massively.

romufc

Another weakness is the lack of a medium - long term vision. The way City prepared for Pep. The way Liverpool are set-up. Having everything in line regarding managers, scouts, coaches, DoF etc.

Woodward has gone from Van Gaal, a possession manager to Mourinho, a manager who doesn't want possession, to Solskjaer, who wants to bring in people who understand the club and young british talent. Each manager wanted their own type of player and we're left with a a blend of players bought by 3 very different managers.

Can you imagine City appointing someone like Simeone or Allegri when Pep leaves? And suddenly having to shift Pep types like Ederson, Laporte and Rodri so that Simeone can have his type of player instead. No chance. They will appoint a manager with similar ideas. Liverpool will replace Klopp with someone similar. No doubt these clubs already have some kind of plan in place, ready for this. Who cares about any other club right now, these 2 are our biggest rivals and the ones to catch. We need to be run as good as them or better.

I will bet Woodward and Co. have no idea what our manager and squad will look like this time next year, let alone the next 3-5 years.

Totally agree, they cannot even sort a DoF in a year. A DoF would put a footprint down saying this is the football we want to play, these are types of managers, and types of players.

At the moment, the transfer windows are scattergun approach. There does not seem to be a identify target, scout target, and land target.

I am sure AWB was not a target for more than 3 months? it is his first season at the highest level. James, again only really broke out after January. Where are the players identified and watched for a number of months? RW and CM have been our issues for years now.

Yakuza_devils

Real Madrid with their already very good squad bought 5 players in June and very likely to add Pogba as well. No fecking "watch the space" bullshit like Ed.

Can Ed be more decisive? I get it that we are now not as good as we used to be but we are still fecking Man Utd and many players still want to play for us.

Infra-red

This summer is shaping up to be another classic from Ed.

Squad has now flown out for the preseason tour (by which point, Solskjaer said he wanted all business done).

One first team player signed for a squad that needed at least five. Masses of deadwood still stinking the place up.

A month to go until the window shuts...

Dr. StrangeHate

This is exactly why we need a DOF. Our recruitment strategy should remain the same between managers, and we should aim to play style kind of football no matter who is in charge

We're not going to get that when the club is ranbas a business first, when really the football should come first.
This we can all agree on and is the biggest reason for our failures. We have Mish mash of shit at the club and we don't even know how Ole wants to play.

JK-27

And yet some on here were castigating the fans who were calling for the banner to be flown at matches asking for Woodward out. The man is a cretin, clueless at running a football club and can't do a good deal to save his life.

Bring back the green and gold campaign!

Canagel

He take too long to make deals. I can't see us sorting everything in one month and plug all the holes.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
And yet some on here were castigating the fans who were calling for the banner to be flown at matches asking for Woodward out. The man is a cretin, clueless at running a football club and can't do a good deal to save his life.

Bring back the green and gold campaign!
It's the only way. People are far too patient with the club - we've had 6 years of this shit and nothing has changed. He needs to feck off

Yakuza_devils

Ed is running us like a Sunday league team struggling to get any decent player for the last 2 years!

We even have problem signing fecking Sean Longstaff.

MUFC OK

Look at that, so little top quality. How has Woodward been so bad?

So grim. Makes you sad to see how the club has fallen while we have to watch City and Liverpool move miles ahead of us.

And worryingly, how far will we continue to fall with Woodward and these owners.
So much further potentially, this is what we have ended up with after investment. If we continue just adding one or two a season we will continue to fall.

Eventually a relegation battle isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Bestietom

AWB - Year xp
Lindelof - 2 years xp

CM - Fred 1 year xp
CM - Mctominay 1 year

CB
CM
CM
RW
That's without Pogba and Lukaku going. If they go, we will need 3 Midfielder's and a Forward, as well as a CB and RW.

parkthebuslads

The Sanchez deal, the Pogba transfer oh fecking limited are we.
Buying Pogba probably made us money, he's a commercial gold mind. Sanchez, whilst on big wages, was a free transfer and as such the expense is dwarfed by a potential signing with a transfer fee. If anything, the fact we were prepared to offer such ridiculous wages supports my argument - we are desperate to buy as few players as possible, whilst still competing for a top 4 finish, even if it means over paying on wages.

SER19

Solskjaer, phelan, me, you... Every fan. We're being taken for a fecking ride. Get your heads out of the sand. Woodward and glazers and milking every last ounce and couldnt give a shit where the club is in 5 years.

I've said it before I'll say it again. A mass protest is the only way to see some change. Let them start the season in front of an empty Stretford end with a clear Woodward out protest in the place of fans.

Or go on blaming manager after manager and ultimately honest players who just aren't good enough.

Posted elsewhere, more relevant here. Sorry to be blunt, but you're a naive idiot if you think this club will move an inch with Woodward and glazers operating as they are.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Solskjaer, phelan, me, you... Every fan. We're being taken for a fecking ride. Get your heads out of the sand. Woodward and glazers and milking every last ounce and couldnt give a shit where the club is in 5 years.

I've said it before I'll say it again. A mass protest is the only way to see some change. Let them start the season in front of an empty Stretford end with a clear Woodward out protest in the place of fans.

Or go on blaming manager after manager and ultimately honest players who just aren't good enough.

Posted elsewhere, more relevant here. Sorry to be blunt, but you're a naive idiot if you think this club will move an inch with Woodward and glazers operating as they are.
Completely agree in general. But it's futile to protest Woodward out as he is going nowhere until the Glazers leave.

I'm losing interest in football completely because of them. I'm a football enthusiastic person, but they have completely ruined any enjoyment I used to get out of it.

The club is nothing like SAF's United i fell in love with as a kid. All it is now is a hollow, cynical money-making commercial enterprise. The actual football comes last. That's just such a rotten mentality for a supposed sports team, I don't know where to begin.

If the Glazers can't even be bothered to invest after the worst season in my lifetime, then why should they get anything back in return? It actually makes no sense for me to spend any time on the club at all until they are removed.

IAN HEALY

If we get a DoF it will be an Ed sanctioned appointment. He won't be scouring the market for the best candidate, he'll want another yes man, pleased to be given the job, who can oversee small scale deals and minor changes to the playing squad. How bad do we have to get for them to do more than just paper over the cracks? The strategy right now seems to be how to get away with doing the least amount of business whilst keeping the boat afloat.

And as for Solskjaer, he should have said nothing a few months back about ripping this squad apart, even though he was completely right in saying it. If no major surgery on the squad gets done then he will know, if he doesn't already, that this is a job in which he will have one if not both hands tied behind his back. Its an absolute travesty that we have wasted 6 years of messing about. Woodward has bluffed his way though the last 6 years.

SER19

Completely agree in general. But it's futile to protest Woodward out as he is going nowhere until the Glazers leave.

I'm losing interest in football completely because of them. I'm a football enthusiastic person, but they have completely ruined any enjoyment I used to get out of it.

The club is nothing like SAF's United i fell in love with as a kid. All it is now is a hollow, cynical money-making commercial enterprise. The actual football comes last. That's just such a rotten mentality for a supposed sports team, I don't know where to begin.

If the Glazers can't even be bothered to invest after the worst season in my lifetime, then why should they get anything back in return? It actually makes no sense for me to spend any time on the club at all until they are removed.
He doesn't have to go he just has to start going about his job differently. Keep the cnut if they want to but they have to run the football side better and with more intent and care

Yakuza_devils

Next season things can go south very quickly because we are depending on players like James, Longstaff, AWB, Bruno, Macguire coupled with inexperience manager in Ole for our major rebuild to challenge for major honours. Let's be honest here, none of them are world class and really wanted by top clubs. We have also important players leaving us Pogba, Lukaku, DDG and Herrera.

Ed very likely is going to throw away another season next year because of his incompetence. Hope there is no repeat like last year.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If Bruno fernandes ends up at Liverpool and ndombele at Tottenham it would be a huge failing.
Well, Ndombele has gone to Spurs.
Now we need to wait to see where Bruno ends up.