Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Next season things can go south very quickly because we are depending on players like James, Longstaff, AWB, Bruno, Macguire coupled with inexperience manager in Ole for our major rebuild to challenge for major honours.
Well, James has come from the Championship, so I don't expect anything from him. He is a punt. Nothing more, nothing less.
Longstaff, Bruno and Maguire have not signed for us.
AWB is a decent RB and should do well at MUFC. I have no complaints with AWB, at this time.

Before the Summer, I said that we'd finish in 8th place and I see nothing to change my mind. I think Ole will do worse than Moyes.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The most disappointing aspect of what's going on under Woodward is not the buying, its the selling. New contracts for players like Rojo has left us unable to get shot of them. So many should have seen their contracts run down and been binned off.

We're being weighed down by trash and there's no sign from the club that they're gonna get it out.

Irwin99

His position is untenable.
Man, you look at that squad and think 'what the hell went wrong' and then you see who owns the club and who is in charge of the football side of things and think 'yep, that's it, i remember'. If Maguire and maybe two other first teamers come in you can make a good if unspectacular first 11 that could challenge for top 4 but the squad depth is still pretty poor. Shaw or AWB get injured and its back to Ashley Young again.

We're really banking on some of these youngsters maturing into top class talents which hopefully they will.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ed Woodward has made a lot of mistakes, but how many of the players we bought are due to him personally. He likes the flashy signings so I guess Di, Maria Falcao, Pogba and Lukaku are signings he might have unilaterally decided. But shit like Rojo, Damian, Fred, Fellaini, etc isn't down to him but down to the managers.
If he likes flashy signings he should have bought back Ronaldo last year. And Felix this year.

Shark

@NotShark
Next season things can go south very quickly because we are depending on players like James, Longstaff, AWB, Bruno, Macguire coupled with inexperience manager in Ole for our major rebuild to challenge for major honours. Let's be honest here, none of them are world class and really wanted by top clubs. We have also important players leaving us Pogba, Lukaku, DDG and Herrera.

Ed very likely is going to throw away another season next year because of his incompetence. Hope there is no repeat like last year.
How many seasons can he throw away before he's identified as a major problem by the club and fecked off? I mean come on, it's way beyond ridiculous that he's here even now, never mind being allowed to oversee another season which will see us eagerly counting down the days until it ends. He surely can't last for much longer if we end up 6th or worse again.

Irwin99

Looking at possible selections for next season and this is the best I think we can put out (not including Pogba as he looks certain to leave). This is a pretty a sad indictment of Ed's transfer policy over the years. I am optimistic we will make 3 more signings at least but if not then we could see this next season :nervous:

De gea

AWB
Smalling
Lindelof
Shaw

Mctom
Matic
Mata

Rashford
Lukaku
Martial

I'm absolutely certain we will bring in another centre back but that's the best I could realistically pick from that squad list in terms of established/experienced PL players. Even with a very good centre back coming in, that midfield is average and the striking options don't have enough overall quality (yet?).

The positives are that we have young full backs who can mature at the club and hopefully one of Martial or Rashford will fulfil their potential. Mctom or Fred might be able to step up too but it's really clutching at straws. Fortunately I still think we will bring in some good players... hope springs eternal ;)

IAN HEALY

The most disappointing aspect of what's going on under Woodward is not the buying, its the selling. New contracts for players like Rojo has left us unable to get shot of them. So many should have seen their contracts run down and been binned off.

We're being weighed down by trash and there's no sign from the club that they're gonna get it out.
Exactly, Woodward seems to see value in holding onto crap players, and is working under the logic that if you extend a players contract then you receive a higher transfer fee. These guys weren't even going to get picked up on free transfers so it will actually cost us more to subside a move if they ever leave !!

Offsideagain

Woodward is the Glazers man and whilst he can keep feeding them money, he will stay. This is despite hiring three managers that failed to bring the PL title back to OT, cocking up numerous transfers and making a mockery of the club. He’s bulletproof as far as the owners are concerned. May be harsh as none of us know exactly what goes on behind the scenes and we, mostly, rely on the media who are only in it to sell papers or advertising space rather than the truth. How many players are linked with United every post season? Dozens. Personally, I would only buy players that wanted to come to the club. Maquire wants to go to City where he will only warm the bench for months and get paid a fortune. Is he really a £80m player?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If he likes flashy signings he should have bought back Ronaldo last year. And Felix this year.
True.
But last year, he was saving money.
And this year ... who knows what the hell he is doing. We've signed 1 first teamer, when many felt that we needed about 5-6 first teamers.
Woodward needs to be relieved of his DoF duties. Until that happens, we will be a team who aspire to compete for the 4th place trophy.

Last Summer Jose wrote off the season before it began. This year, I feel the same is happening.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It is a disgrace. The management of this club, especially the owners, seriously need to piss off.

The Real No7

Did anyone watch the Paddy Crerand show? The show was cancelled for 2 weeks then tonight's show ran like it was pre recorded. Nobody could get through to call in. The only callers they had said nothing bad about the Glazers or Ed Woodward. Seems to me like Ed is in propaganda mode, editing shows and sending emails to let on everything is good when the rot has well and truly set in.

Dr. StrangeHate

I think this year it is near impossible to convince anyone to come to us due to:
1) way we ended season
2) Unknown quantity as manager
3) best players wanting to leave
However last year was the time to capitalise so that was an utter failure of a window. I however don't know whether to blame Jose or Ed for that. Smart money is Ed though.

Eric's Seagull

I think this year it is near impossible to convince anyone to come to us due to:
1) way we ended season
2) Unknown quantity as manager
3) best players wanting to leave
However last year was the time to capitalise so that was an utter failure of a window. I however don't know whether to blame Jose or Ed for that. Smart money is Ed though.
Agree smart money is on Ed. Just wish Ed had been smarter with the money he has had at his disposal the past few years:mad:

Saffron

It’s good that people are finally starting to make the connection between Woodward and the Glazers. You can’t view Woodward in isolation like Neville et al have been doing. He’s just a tentacle of the Glazers and all of them need to go.

Eric's Seagull

No it’s because you need to register for the Telegraph. You get to view one free article per month, or for £1 per month you get full access.
Thanks very much for clarifying that. I think I will sign up for the £1 a month. As there have been several interesting articles looking articles in the Telegraph that I would have liked to have read :)

Eric's Seagull

Decent article thanks for sharing. Feel sorry for Ole having to put up with these sh!tebags running the club. Article reiterates that the owners care more about money than being successful. I think Ole would liked to have gotten ridden of more deadwood but seems as if he has his hands tied.
Don't think the owners are giving him a fair crack of the whip and will use him as a scapegoat if it all goes wrong, which I really hope doesn't happen, when they haven't given him the correct platform to succeed.

Patrick08

Decent article thanks for sharing. Feel sorry for Ole having to put up with these sh!tebags running the club. Article reiterates that the owners care more about money than being successful. I think Ole would liked to have gotten ridden of more deadwood but seems as if he has his hands tied.
Don't think the owners are giving him a fair crack of the whip and will use him as a scapegoat if it all goes wrong, which I really hope doesn't happen, when they haven't given him the correct platform to succeed.
Getting rid of Pogba for a Profit makes up for their financial loss suffered from lack of Champions league football.

Patrick08

It’s good that people are finally starting to make the connection between Woodward and the Glazers. You can’t view Woodward in isolation like Neville et al have been doing. He’s just a tentacle of the Glazers and all of them need to go.
That is the exact reason they have him in charge and are reluctant to change the structure.

Eric's Seagull

Getting rid of Pogba for a Profit makes up for their financial loss suffered from lack of Champions league football.
I think the profit from the Pogba sale should be fully reinvested in the squad to give us a better chance of qualifying for the Champions League next year. If we don't it will be another financial loss and even worse another step to us falling further behind our rivals. Which will be totally unacceptable. But nothing surprises me with Woody anymore.

Patrick08

I think the profit from the Pogba sale should be fully reinvested in the squad to give us a better chance of qualifying for the Champions League next year. If we don't it will be another financial loss and even worse another step to us falling further behind our rivals. Which will be totally unacceptable. But nothing surprises me with Woody anymore.
They will reinvest the profits but curb the transfer spending, so it's basically one and the same thing which is covering losses from revenue loss from lack of champions league football. That is sell to Buy.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This was something Van Gaal already complained about. Just checked other clubs (Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and City). We went to the tour earliest and by some margin, most teams won't be heading for at least a week and we will spend the longest time on tour (Australia, China, Singapore) or about 2 and a half weeks playing 4 matches. Spurs and Liverpool will be on their tour no more then 10 days before heading back to Europe.

Priorities, eh?

Mainoldo

This was something Van Gaal already complained about. Just checked other clubs (Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and City). We went to the tour earliest and by some margin, most teams won't be heading for at least a week and we will spend the longest time on tour (Australia, China, Singapore) or about 2 and a half weeks playing 4 matches. Spurs and Liverpool will be on their tour no more then 10 days before heading back to Europe.

Priorities, eh?
It’s not a problem though if the team is successful is it. It’s a successful tragedy with a poor team. All 5 teams will still be doing pre season.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Ed Woodward has shows in the last 2 years why a commercial man cannot run a football club. Brilliant to get commercial deals but completely lost when it comes to footballing matters.

In the last few years we have been linked with every player but landing no one.

Not signing the right player - Sanchez..

Not backing the manager - Jose needed a CB.

Lack of football knowledge - Manutd have needed a RW and RB for god knows how long.

Contracts - Signing Jones, Smalling, Young, all on bumper contracts and now we cannot get rid of them.

What has he done right ? This transfer window has the same patterns, linked with everyone but not delivering what Ole wants.

Another season of struggles.
Not brilliant at anything in actual fact, except perhaps hostile Club takeovers. Curse him.

Mainoldo

The under investment is a trigger of him wanting out.
I still blame Jose. Our midfield is scrap because he targeted Matic and Dier, followed up by Fred who he clearly knew nothing about. Our defence is scrap due to similar reasons and we also have an overpaid number 7 and a striker with no first touch. Added to that his number 1 target probably goes down as a worse striker than Fernando Torres for them (Chelsea).

Jose yet again is getting away with it.

Eric's Seagull

They will reinvest the profits but curb the transfer spending, so it's basically one and the same thing which is covering losses from revenue loss from lack of champions league football. That is sell to Buy.
Sorry but I don't quite understand pleae excuse my lack of knowledge. Thais is how I interpret what you said. please correct me if I am wrong. They will take the Pogba fee eg £150m and subtract what we lost from not qualifying for the Champions League group stage €15.25m (£13.7m) according UEFA club revenue distribution to and add the remainder to the fund. Eg £150m-£13.7m minimum) = £137.3m. Is that correct please?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It’s not a problem though if the team is successful is it. It’s a successful tragedy with a poor team. All 5 teams will still be doing pre season.
Of course nobody would say or look at it if we are successful. But we're not atm and looking at this you get the feeling that even our preparation for a season were mostly lead by marketing and financial reasons and not what is the best for the team.

Patrick08

Sorry but I don't quite understand pleae excuse my lack of knowledge. Thais is how I interpret what you said. please correct me if I am wrong. They will take the Pogba fee eg £150m and subtract what we lost from not qualifying for the Champions League group stage €15.25m (£13.7m) according UEFA club revenue distribution to and add the remainder to the fund. Eg £150m-£13.7m minimum) = £137.3m. Is that correct please?
The revenue losses comes around 50m overall from not being in Champions league as the sponsors cut the sponsorship revenues upto 30m and add to that the losses from Tv revenues and Champions league participation money.

So if ideally we needed 100m to invest in midfield before pogba sale, we will still spend 100m only but after pogba sale and the profit from selling valuable asset covers the losses in revenue.

Eric's Seagull

The revenue losses comes around 50m overall from not being in Champions league as the sponsors cut the sponsorship revenues upto 30m and add to that the losses from Tv revenues and Champions league participation money.

So if ideally we needed 100m to invest in midfield before pogba sale, we will still spend 100m only but after pogba sale and the profit from selling valuable asset covers the losses in revenue.
Thanks very much for explaining :)

Eddy_JukeZ

It's amazing, but this window might be even worse than last season's window on the current pace.

He has been an abject failure.