Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
There has to be a point where it stops though. I mean unless they're literally running United as some sort of marketing company behind the scene's, meaning the football is just a front. Wouldn't surprise me anymore to be honest.
You mean like City?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mkhi and Bailly signed behind Mourinho's back?
This guy isn't the only one to put that story forward. The "Woodward signing" theme goes back all the way to the Mata transfer. Plenty of rumours about Di Maria too. The problem is that there's no evidence of any of it being true (that I'm aware, at least).

If Woodward has been meddling to that extent I find it odd that nothing substantial has surfaced. Mourinho has made no mention of it. LVG, who has been more direct in his criticism of Woodward than Mourinho, hasn't said anything about it either.

I can easily believe that Woodward has preferences with regard to player profiles (in a word, marketability) - but that's a far cry from buying players behind the manager's back.

Also - Bailly? Why should he of all players be particularly attractive to Woodward?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Woody's gonna splaff a massive load (of cash) on bale... And he's gonna be gash / injured
Then he's going to blame whichever puppet / Muppet they make sporting director (Darren Fletcher?)

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If Woodward had the option to meet a player's agent to bring a top player here and on the same day a company wants to meet him for a new shiny sponsorship deal, what would be choose? :smirk:

Tincanalley

If Woodward had the option to meet a player's agent to bring a top player here and on the same day a company wants to meet him for a new shiny sponsorship deal, what would be choose? :smirk:
Easy; but to be fair, he would be doubling up, checking the top players instagram and facebook and twitter followers, and how many Tshirts he has sold and his impact on the asian market. Also how his cheekbones would hold up under studio lights and if he is any good on the piano.

JK-27

Bizarre the statement from Utd a few days ago saying they would back OGS, as the club always does back its managers, and that they have the funds in place to do it.

Considering that when Woodward took over Moyes was given a 5 year contract, sacked in 1 year, LVG had won the FA Cup to be sacked the very next day, and Jose was given a 3 year contract in January 2018, then sacked within 8 months, hearing Woodward say he's going to back you must send chills down OGs's spine.

Rafeeq RSA

Woodward got us in this mess we in , he sure better get us out of it. Surely we would’ve been in a better state had he given Mourinho the defenders he wanted last season. Only way to get top tier players is to pay more than the competition resulting in players coming for cash , not the badge.

Fluctuation0161

Woodward got us in this mess we in , he sure better get us out of it. Surely we would’ve been in a better state had he given Mourinho the defenders he wanted last season. Only way to get top tier players is to pay more than the competition resulting in players coming for cash , not the badge.
The fact he (and the Glazer's) got us into this mess doesn't mean they can get us out. Quite the opposite. The trend under his leadership is down.

Moriarty

Bizarre the statement from Utd a few days ago saying they would back OGS, as the club always does back its managers, and that they have the funds in place to do it.

Considering that when Woodward took over Moyes was given a 5 year contract, sacked in 1 year, LVG had won the FA Cup to be sacked the very next day, and Jose was given a 3 year contract in January 2018, then sacked within 8 months, hearing Woodward say he's going to back you must send chills down OGs's spine.
If he sacked Ole now, or within a few months of the new season, I wonder if he'd actually be safe in the ground.

Varunie1208

A romantically naive idea that in today's football players come for the badge. Teams will discard players who aren't in form or are old. They are running a business and the players and their agents have a similar mentality. A footballers career last maybe 10 years. They need to make money when the can. The critical aspect of a players profile, other than the obvious skills etc. , is a competitive nature. Some people simply hate to lose. Keane had that type of mentality and so does Hererra. I worry that OGS believes that type of mentality is age or culturally specific, which it isn't.

Summer transfer window begins. Which names will Woodward deliver

Adnan

Talent Spotter

BlueHaze

thomas porter

Ed deserves to be fired, or at the very least demoted to heading up the commercial side of the business.

My first, second, and third choice to run the club would be Edwin van der Sar. He's done an excellent job at Ajax, and understands Man United very well. I think he would be able to put the right people in place on the scouting and recruiting side to give Ole the players he needs to rebuild the team. As well Ajax's commitment to youth development is something that also runs through our clubs vains and is one of the few bright spots we have right now.

Reactions: Sultan

Hughes35

The strangest thing for me is that whenever Woodward does an interview he goes on about how much money we have to spend.... Great negotiation tactic there Ed.

Then the next week it's always "Oh yea, we'd love to sign player X but $$$ is more then they're worth and the selling club is taking us for mugs" well yes Ed, of course they are because you've been telling the world how rich we are and that you're happy to overspend.

If you look at clubs like Juve or Spurs, they now have reputations of not overspending so the selling clubs don't inflate their prices. Common sense really.

Tincanalley

:(:lol::nervous::rolleyes: Where is the grim smile emoji?

Tincanalley

From Neil Ashton who presents the Sunday Supplement on Sky.

Man Utd under growing pressure from Glazers and face a make or break summer in transfer market

Executive vice-chairman Woodward was supposed to be the owners' man - but now he is the one being closely monitored after Utd failed to qualify for the Champions League

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...160519&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1557987020
Now that article is interesting. I have to assume that Neil Ashton didn't purely make it up; therefore who briefed? My bet is: Ed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
From Neil Ashton who presents the Sunday Supplement on Sky.

Man Utd under growing pressure from Glazers and face a make or break summer in transfer market

Executive vice-chairman Woodward was supposed to be the owners' man - but now he is the one being closely monitored after Utd failed to qualify for the Champions League

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...160519&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1557987020
Hang on, the Glazers are putting Man Utd under pressure?!

The bloody pressure should be on them!

UncleBob

Woodward is an embarrassment with those comments re: Sanchez.
No idea why anyone would actually have a problem with those comments, it's an investors call, what the feck do people expect him to talk about, xG and football stats ? It's for investors and they want £

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Do you mean Moyes ?
Moyes was a grade A, buffoon. I don't think anybody disagrees with that. But Woodward, over a period of 6-7 years, has also proved himself to be a buffoon. They both are.

Revaulx

Oh dear. I just clicked on the Official Manchester United Website by mistake, thinking it was the Caf.

Of the six news items on the homepage, the only one relating to the present is about the Women's Team. All the others (five out of six) are Treble Winners 1999 nostalgia.

Yes I know it's the close season and there's not much going on, but still...

Moriarty

Oh dear. I just clicked on the Official Manchester United Website by mistake, thinking it was the Caf.

Of the six news items on the homepage, the only one relating to the present is about the Women's Team. All the others (five out of six) are Treble Winners 1999 nostalgia.

Yes I know it's the close season and there's not much going on, but still...
What was it that Dante said about there being no greater pain than to recall happiness in times of misery? I'm probably misquoting there but it's apt. Soon we'll all be wallowing in it.

Revaulx

What was it that Dante said about there being no greater pain than to recall happiness in times of misery? I'm probably misquoting there but it's apt. Soon we'll all be wallowing in it.
Indeed.

Wales have a couple of Euro 2020 qualifiers next month. If they do well, Ed will be wishing he'd appointed Giggs.

Leeds did it three times in the 80s: Clarke, Gray, Bremner. So if Phil Nev does well with England Women...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Is that investor call transcript really true? Seriously, what the flying feck?

AshRK

I don't know him personally but I can bet he is a egomaniac who loves his authority. He knows if he appoints a DoF he will lose his authority and he cannot let that happen. He may be a great businessman but he for sure doesn't know how to run a football club.

UncleBob

I don't know him personally but I can bet he is a egomaniac who loves his authority. He knows if he appoints a DoF he will lose his authority and he cannot let that happen. He may be a great businessman but he for sure doesn't know how to run a football club.
Why do you believe that Woodward is opposed to the idea of a director of football (or similar solution)