Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ed will shut everyone up as he will bring either (or both) of Sturridge or Balotelli in on as free agents and a 250/300k a week contract.

Then all will bow to King Ed.
Haha that’s just like the time when he did something else similar to that

MrSingh2002

It would be piss poor leadership for him to stay behind the scenes and brief the press a load of shit around what has happened this window (like he probably will do).

He needs to do a televised interview, even if it is only with MUTV, where he explains how he sees the club moving forward in a sporting sense.
This is all I'm thinking of. Ole shouldn't have to answer for Eds part in this either. Should have the cnut explain for himself to a fans forum.

Patrick08

He is effectively making sure every top 6-7 clubs overtake us in position and squad quality.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Bald, no chin, round-headed, ventriloquist-dummy-looking little tosspot.

I don't see any way he can attend games this season. Surely the fans will be getting on his back when the shite starts hitting the fan?
That's exactly what we thought last season.
This is what happened last season and will happen again this season: If we do badly, he'll fire the manager (effectively implying that the manager was to blame for all this). And the fans will be happy.
I am not interested in firing any more managers (been there, done that), I was Woodward fired!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Seen this on twitter: Marcus Rojo has now been at the club longer than Eric Cantona and Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

Darmian has been here longer than Yorke and Sheringham.

Then there’s Jones and Young.

We’re really bad at this football lark.
The reason for hanging onto the deadwood is to save money. If we sell the deadwood, then we'll need to spend money to replace those players.
Why spend money, when we can save it and give it the major shareholders, as dividends?

tob

Maybe this has been discussed earlier in this thread or somewhere else on this forum, but I’m thinking about Patrice Evra’s Instagram post the other day - the one addressing “all the football agents around the world”.

We know that Evra and Ed are suppose to be very close (weirdly enough), so I’m thinking this instagram post has something to do with our transfers - in a way of giving us a hint on what the real problem is.

With many agents now including huge agency fees when their player signs for a new club, maybe United (Ed & Co.) feel that they’ve had enough? Not only are the clubs asking for higher prices on their players, but then the agents are requesting higher agency fees as well.

We are well aware of how Mino Raiola works, and United were easily his “bank account” on quite a few occasions during the Mourinho era. As I understand, the feelings towards Raiola on this forum has been made quite clear recently - We don’t like him and we don’t want anything to do with him.

So with that in mind, maybe the same goes for Jorge Mendes, whom, what I understand, is representing Bruno Fernandes? Maybe Mendes were requesting a huge agency fee and United simply just said “No. We’re not paying those ridiculous amounts anymore.” As far as I know, we never even transferred a bid to Sporting for Fernandes. Suggesting that we never got a deal sorted with Mendes.

If that’s the case, then I’d even be proud over us walking away from those kinds of deals. If a player really wants to come here and play for this club, he should ask his agent to lower that fee and get the deal done.

However, it doesn’t really explain why we didn’t sign any of all the other available midfielders out there. Tielemans comes to mind.

fallengt

A poster actually proposed to build Woodward's statue when he signed Harry Macguire :lol:.
Right, a statue outside of Anfield stadium.

Last edited:

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

cc: Ed+United

...when all they care about is barely scraping by on the football pitch & 4th place is the goal.

Sick to my stomach. Feck off.

Yakuza_devils

It has been very clear all this while there was no major rebuild in Ed and Glazers mind. They are building a team good enough only to challenge TOP 4. Sold two CM and one ST yet no replacement signed plus a rookie manager for next season. We are never going to touch City and Liverpool.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Maybe this has been discussed earlier in this thread or somewhere else on this forum, but I’m thinking about Patrice Evra’s Instagram post the other day - the one addressing “all the football agents around the world”.

We know that Evra and Ed are suppose to be very close (weirdly enough), so I’m thinking this instagram post has something to do with our transfers - in a way of giving us a hint on what the real problem is.

With many agents now including huge agency fees when their player signs for a new club, maybe United (Ed & Co.) feel that they’ve had enough? Not only are the clubs asking for higher prices on their players, but then the agents are requesting higher agency fees as well.

We are well aware of how Mino Raiola works, and United were easily his “bank account” on quite a few occasions during the Mourinho era. As I understand, the feelings towards Raiola on this forum has been made quite clear recently - We don’t like him and we don’t want anything to do with him.

So with that in mind, maybe the same goes for Jorge Mendes, whom, what I understand, is representing Bruno Fernandes? Maybe Mendes were requesting a huge agency fee and United simply just said “No. We’re not paying those ridiculous amounts anymore.” As far as I know, we never even transferred a bid to Sporting for Fernandes. Suggesting that we never got a deal sorted with Mendes.

If that’s the case, then I’d even be proud over us walking away from those kinds of deals. If a player really wants to come here and play for this club, he should ask his agent to lower that fee and get the deal done.

However, it doesn’t really explain why we didn’t sign any of all the other available midfielders out there. Tielemans comes to mind.
No idea - but 'bad agents' didn't stop Arsenal from doing some lovely business...

Or Spuds - both clubs with famously tight owners - so nah, I'm not having it.

It's just more excuses from the footballing beta-males that run Utd.

The Glazers are not looking after this club, they are not capable owners at conducting a rebuild, and they need to move on, with immediate effect.

SER19

If he was at any other top club in Europe he'd have been hounded out by now.

A soft touch fanbase, a tourists day out and a laughing stock among real football people.

He's orchestrated the ruin of united under glazer instructions. We aim for top 4,nothing more.

Now let's all show up Sunday and be good cash machines for Ed

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If he was at any other top club in Europe he'd have been hounded out by now.
If he was under a Saudi ownership I bet he would be sweating bullets whenever they ask him to meet at some obscure place. No opportunity for lessons learnt under them and Woodward has had six seasons of learning on the job.

justboy68

They've taken our club and beaten it half to death. We are going nowhere but down while the leeches squeeze every last penny they can. It's tragic and made me fall out of love with football. Can barely bring myself to watch a game these days.

OneUnited24

It has been very clear all this while there was no major rebuild in Ed and Glazers mind. They are building a team good enough only to challenge TOP 4. Sold two CM and one ST yet no replacement signed plus a rookie manager for next season. We are never going to touch City and Liverpool.
Yeah because hiring managers like LvG and Jose (and Moyes who had a lot of experience in the league) really worked wonders for us.

Amazing that they elect something different but people here still aren’t happy. What do they say the definition of insanity is again?

jem

Woodward is like that guy who puts 'no hookups' on his Tinder profile, to try to cover for the fact that he is in fact desperate for a hook up, and extremely unlikely to ever get one.

SaintMuppet

:lol: one of the best descriptions of Woodward I’ve ever read!
Yet this personal assault is aimed at the wrong person. Personal assaults are childish and immature btw

Ed has a brief every season. This likely comes from the owners. I’m no fan of his but he is likely just doing his job as directed. The people to blame never have to answer for their actions because it’s their toy and they can play with it how and when they like.

We delude ourselves so much that it’s our toy we spend fortunes on it. Then we get all upset when the toy stops working properly and does not get fixed. I’m guilty of this in the past but no more. I’d just like the right people to feel the abuse for once.

jem

Yet this personal assault is aimed at the wrong person. Personal assaults are childish and immature btw

Ed has a brief every season. This likely comes from the owners. I’m no fan of his but he is likely just doing his job as directed. The people to blame never have to answer for their actions because it’s their toy and they can play with it how and when they like.

We delude ourselves so much that it’s our toy we spend fortunes on it. Then we get all upset when the toy stops working properly and does not get fixed. I’m guilty of this in the past but no more. I’d just like the right people to feel the abuse for once.
And the award for most overly-earnest post goes to....I don't care what you say, Ed Woodward will always be the ventriloquist dummy in my eyes now. And it was an insult, not an assault.

Yakuza_devils

Yeah because hiring managers like LvG and Jose (and Moyes who had a lot of experience in the league) really worked wonders for us.

Amazing that they elect something different but people here still aren’t happy. What do they say the definition of insanity is again?
So hiring a rookie manager and then back him with minimal spending in transfer window is doing thing "different" for a change for better then we have to agree to disagree insanity or not.

redIndianDevil

So hiring a rookie manager and then back him with minimal spending in transfer window is doing thing "different" for a change for better then we have to agree to disagree insanity or not.
How have they not backed him? You expect Woodward to force players to come here?

Mr.Plow

One of his biggest gripes, like every other new manager at a club, was that they weren't fit enough. We will get to see if they are now. If they aren't I am not sure what he can say. Although he has got rid of the biggest culprit of lack of fitness, so that might help.
Even then, Lukaku is one of the last players who needed to be shipped out. Sure we could have done with an upgrade but selling him with no replacement is inexcusable. Just wondering what will happen when Rashford gets injured or goes on one of his dry spells.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Even then, Lukaku is one of the last players who needed to be shipped out. Sure we could have done with an upgrade but selling him with no replacement is inexcusable. Just wondering what will happen when Rashford gets injured or goes on one of his dry spells.
That's the big worry.

WPMUFC

Transfer window done and dusted. After finishing the season on such a low point, I think a lot of MUFC fans thought Ole's words around selling players with the wrong mindset would be the start of a refresh. We sold Lukaku. That's it. Herrera wasn't a problem, fellaini wasn't a "mindset" problem. And Lukaku was sold because the system has no room for a striker like him.

Woodward is utterly incompetent. He won't address the midfield, he took an entire window to up the bid for maguire by 10 million. He hasn't sold any of the deadwood. What is the point of him in this club?

I'm hoping for the best, I hope the youth shine. But lets be honest, 6th will be a blessing this season.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I can't think of a time when I've been less connected or invested in this club. There is not even one player Im fond or proud of, and no-one in the coaching team that I admire.

Honestly, I think Im looking forward to watching City or Liverpool play football more than I am watching Manchester United lurch from incompetence to erratic to disaster. I also don't want to back this team because in doing so, I back the owners. I can imagine there will be many millions of fans all around the world who feel the same, and will drift away to better managed and more exciting teams.

It's beyond doubt that our owners are not invested in making our club the greatest in the land. Surely the tipping point is close, when the entire fanbase becomes united against the Glazers and Woodward?
United's financial power relies a lot on it's international appeal and if things keep continuing as they have on the field the next generations will follow and support other more successful teams. Top reds might be happy about this but the reality is we will lose a lot of financial power along with it hurting the club in the long term. The owners are setting the club up for a fall.

And I agree there aren't many endearing characters at the club. Someone mentioned Rashford but at the end of last season he frustrated a lot of fans.

SambaBoy

Our last two transfer windows have been absolutely terrible. Last summer, we expected a big rebuild and 4/5 signings, signed one CM in Fred. Underwhelming window in every way possible considering other teams around us strengthened well with the exception of Spurs who didn't need a rebuild but maybe 1 signing.

This summer, it was clear we needed to get rid of the deadwood. Realistically it's not FM so maybe 3/4 players leave and 4/5 players come in. What did we get? No deadwood gone. Jones, Smalling, Young, Darmian, Mata, Rojo, Sanchez all still here. We let a very good CM who has contributed well and would have been an asset go on a free. Some may not have rated him too highly and wanted a replacement, but for me he was our 2nd best CM. We didn't get a replacement at all.

We have moaned for years about our lack of a RW. We buy James, an unproven Championship player. I actually like this signing but it's equivalent to when you sign Tosic, Obertan, Zaha, Bebe. You are signing them for their potential and too possibly break into the first team over time, not to make an immediate impact. I can't see James being good enough just yet to command a first team place every week and it could destroy him if he doesn't get off to a good start. If he's benched or not selected, then we are back to Mata/Lingard at RM. Posters have said Greenwood, and fair enough he's an exciting talent but we should have went out and bought a quality player rather than gamble on youth. We are not in a position to do that at the moment.

We let a striker, who for all his faults, has been one of our main sources of goals for the last two years. OK, yes, he may not have been suited to our style so get a good fee and replace him. We didn't replace him at all.