Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Suedesi

Well, yes, but Van der Sar was appointed CEO of a club that has had it structure set in place for I dont know how many years.
We are trying to change our structure; slowly admittingly.
To appoint him would be as much of a punt as employing a DoF or a new manager.
He also has no previous experience financially and a lot of Woodwards work nowadays is connected to the listing on NYSE. The legislation and rules on there are wickedly difficult; combined with our holding company being registered in the Cayman Islands. This is what people dont get: that part is the major part of what a CEO does and why all top PL-clubs even if they are not listed are run by "accountants".
Ajax are also listed, but on a much smaller marketplace and with a completely different ownership structure.
And respectfully (not to you personally, but in general): we will never ever appoint a CEO that is not "the Glazers puppet". It is kinda in the CEOs job description to be just that.
What are you on about? Plenty of companies list on the NYSE, and it's not 'wickedly difficult'. There are initial listing requirements (which we've presumably met) and continuing listing standards for US and non-US issuers but those are in no way inherently stringent.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Didn't woody block veto the transfer of maguire under Mourinho because he said he's not better than what we've got? Anyway, who are the brilliant football people we have who are making the decisions these days?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it also helps tremendously that the owners at least in Italy (Gianni Agnelli, Moratti father and son, Berlsuconi) inherently knew and understood the sport and could make the right choices in player recruitment and manager selection. A knowledgeable owner is key. Sadly, we're a financial play for the Glazers, mismanaged at that, and at 30x earnings don't think we are about to change ownership anytime soon.
In case of the Agnellis then yes, that helped a great deal. Can't say the same about the Moratti and the Berlusconi though. The Agnellis always saw Juventus as a means to an end. They wanted to improve their reputation as reliable business partners and in a country were football = everything they used their success in football to achieve that. Football was always a means to and end for them so they always worked on ways how to improving efficiency. Moratti JNR was a fan first and foremost. He nearly crippled his family fortunes to make Inter great again. Berlusconi on the other hand used Milan. He bought instant success which helped him both business and political wise only to close the tabs when that was achieved. The guy is shady, very shady and more shady then the average non Italian person think.

I see two main problems with the Glazers

a- they are in it for the money. Success and reputation is secondary for them.
b- they are absolutely clueless about football. They don't understand how football works let alone Manchester United, its strengths, its weaknesses, its history.

Ban

In case of the Agnellis then yes, that helped a great deal. Can't say the same about the Moratti and the Berlusconi though. The Agnellis always saw Juventus as a means to an end. They wanted to improve their reputation as reliable business partners and in a country were football = everything they used their success in football to achieve that. Football was always a means to and end for them so they always worked on ways how to improving efficiency. Moratti JNR was a fan first and foremost. He nearly crippled his family fortunes to make Inter great again. Berlusconi on the other hand used Milan. He bought instant success which helped him both business and political wise only to close the tabs when that was achieved. The guy is shady, very shady and more shady then the average non Italian person think.

b- they are absolutely clueless about football. They don't understand how football works let alone Manchester United, its strengths, its weaknesses, its history.
So there won't be any luck until we somehow get rid of them basically?

Johan07

What are you on about? Plenty of companies list on the NYSE, and it's not 'wickedly difficult'. There are initial listing requirements (which we've presumably met) and continuing listing standards for US and non-US issuers but those are in no way inherently stringent.
For someone that works as a corporate lawyer I would stick to my opinion that the corporate legislation not just in NY but in all of the US is very difficult compared to the rest of the world. Its also very different than most European jurisdictions.
Also, the IPO itself meant that Woodward is obliged to hold investor briefings, etc. Going from a privately held company to a public one is not a simple feat and the latter demands much more from the CEO in the respects I touched upon. Thats why we we will never have anything but a "glorified accountant" as CEO of United. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

devilish

Weeeeeelll most probably yes. However things might change if sponsors start leaving like rats from a sinking ship.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

c- They are not strategical. You can be in football for money, be clueless about the game and still have a perfectly run club because you don't have to do it yourself, there are top administrators-General managers for hire.

JPRouve

Scout
The other option is that they hire a manager that isn't a total narcisist and tell them that he needs help with a structure closer to what most continental clubs have.

devilish

c- They are not strategical. You can be in football for money, be clueless about the game and still have a perfectly run club because you don't have to do it yourself, there are top administrators-General managers for hire.
True. However if you're only in it for the money then you won't be bothered hiring good people in key roles (ie and paying huge salaries to get these people) UNLESS you're hit in your pockets first.

Suedesi

La grande Inter commenced with Angelo Moratti who was an oil tycoon and oversaw the team winning many scudetto's and a couple of CL's. His son, Massimo was a fan first and foremost and spent a fortune trying to elevate Inter back to its former glories. He did succeed in 2010 when the team managed the treble. Then he had to sell to foreign investors.

Berlusconi also elevated Milan to the best team in Italy and the world. Basically won 5 CL's and a bunch of scudetti's but had to sell once his empire (Fininvest, Mediaset, Mondadori) came crashing down following his ouster from politics. My point was not to argue whether or not Berlusconi was corrupt (he certainly is/was), my point was he knew the sport well so he knew what he was doing when he bought the three Dutch maestros or when he gave a relatively unknown Sacchi the reigns of the club.

Needham

According to wiki Liverpool have 8 managers who won the domestic title, AC Milan have 12 managers, Juventus and Inter have 13 managers, Bayern have 17 same as Real Madrid. I think Barcelona have more managers who won the league then Real did.

Meanwhile we only got 3 managers. Our system relies heavily on the manager who need to basically be so good to take care of everything football related himself. He sinks and we sink. No serious organization would allow such single point of failure to exist.
So one lesson might be never to have the same manager for a quarter of a century, because it inhibits the establishment of an inheritable blueprint for success? Otherwise what's your point?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well, he can't be absolved because he and the board put these football people in place. Now we also can't go around and claim that he is taking football decisions when he isn't, it obfuscate the situation more than anything else.
To be honest it reads like 'none of this is my fault, I'll just point you in the right direction as to who to blame'.

devilish

La grande Inter commenced with Angelo Moratti who was an oil tycoon and oversaw the team winning many scudetto's and a couple of CL's. His son, Massimo was a fan first and foremost and spent a fortune trying to elevate Inter back to its former glories. He did succeed in 2010 when the team managed the treble. Then he had to sell to foreign investors.

Berlusconi also elevated Milan to the best team in Italy and the world. Basically won 5 CL's and a bunch of scudetti's but had to sell once his empire (Fininvest, Mediaset, Mondadori) came crashing down following his ouster from politics. My point was not to argue whether or not Berlusconi was corrupt (he certainly is/was), my point was he knew the sport well so he knew what he was doing when he bought the three Dutch maestros or when he gave a relatively unknown Sacchi the reigns of the club.
Look mate I followed both clubs. I think the latter assembled the best team I've ever seen in my whole life. Yep better then Pep's Barca. However, anyone who follows the Serie A knows that Massimo was a fool who wasted tons of money with little to show for it. Meanwhile Berlusconi is as shady as hell whose club struggled big time once he stopped buying success. Some of the mistakes these two had done are at par to what the Glazers did. Take Berlusconi as an example. Well, he appointed his daughter Barbara Berlusconi at a high position who was more busy screwing players and messing in things she had no idea about then doing her job

Last edited:

Suedesi

For someone that works as a corporate lawyer I would stick to my opinion that the corporate legislation not just in NY but in all of the US is very difficult compared to the rest of the world. Its also very different than most European jurisdictions.
Also, the IPO itself meant that Woodward is obliged to hold investor briefings, etc. Going from a privately held company to a public one is not a simple feat and the latter demands much more from the CEO in the respects I touched upon. Thats why we we will never have anything but a "glorified accountant" as CEO of United. Not gonna happen.
As someone who works as an investment banker, I will insist that listing in the NYSE is not "wickedly difficult." And as someone who advises CEO's on a daily basis, I will submit to you that most of them are not glorified accountants.

JPRouve

Scout
To be honest it reads like 'none of this is my fault, I'll just point you in the right direction as to who to blame'.
It's reads like "boohoo, people are mean to me", now my point is that he is responsible for the hires and their performances but we can't go around pretending that he is the one doing their job. If you look around there are too many people trying to put the blame on a single person and pretends that sacking that person will fix everything when in reality the managers, the brilliant football people and the board are all responsible, they all failed in their respective domains.

devilish

So one lesson might be never to have the same manager for a quarter of a century, because it inhibits the establishment of an inheritable blueprint for success? Otherwise what's your point?
My point is that we rely heavily on a single point of failure ie a manager who takes all the football decisions for our behalf whose then managed by people who have no idea about football whatsoever. In fact Sir Alex himself had to live up with some of the most stupid decisions the club has ever taken including

a- stopping him from buying the best striker in the world, a man who could have easily won us at least 1 other CL
b- forcing him to beg Arsenal's manager for a copy of his contract so he can justify the pay rise he's being asked for
c- having to persuade Stam to lose up his signing on fee bonus and then forcing Sir Alex to sell him as the club ran low on cashflow

There are probably worse instances then that but Sir Alex never spilled the beans in public.

Guess what? Those decisions weren't taken by Woodward but occurred during the United way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's reads like "boohoo, people are mean to me", now my point is that he is responsible for the hires and their performances but we can't go around pretending that he is the one doing their job. If you look around there are too many people trying to put the blame on a single person and pretends that sacking that person will fix everything when in reality the managers, the brilliant football people and the board are all responsible, they all failed in their respective domains.
I agree. It is a mess all round. Now it is either going to get worse or eventually it will come right. Time will tell, not that I'm hedging my bets here.:p

Needham

My point is that we rely heavily on a single point of failure ie a manager who takes all the football decisions for our behalf whose then managed by people who have no idea about football whatsoever. In fact Sir Alex himself had to live up with some of the most stupid decisions the club has ever taken including

a- stopping him from buying the best striker in the world, a man who could have easily won us at least 1 other CL
b- forcing him to beg Arsenal's manager for a copy of his contract so he can justify the pay rise he's being asked for
c- having to persuade Stam to lose up his signing on fee bonus and then forcing Sir Alex to sell him as the club ran low on cashflow

There are probably worse instances then that but Sir Alex never spilled the beans in public.

Guess what? Those decisions weren't taken by Woodward but occurred during the United way.
Yeah all that aside I think your typical of the big club fan who implicitly believes that the English Giants (us, Liverpool, Arsenal) have the right to expect unmitigated success for sustained periods. It just isn't going to happen and the Ferguson/Busby epochs are all the more remarkable for bucking that fact.

devilish

Yeah all that aside I think your typical of the big club fan who implicitly believes that the English Giants (us, Liverpool, Arsenal) have the right to expect unmitigated success for sustained periods. It just isn't going to happen and the Ferguson/Busby epochs are all the more remarkable for bucking that fact.
Oh well, lets agree to disagree on this. According to you its normal for a big club to only have 3 managers capable of winning the league title. In reality its not.

Johan07

Is it only me that suspects he is taking one for the "team" here? At least partially.
Its not like he is stupid; he and the PR-department must know that he would be chainsawed for this or tbf for whatever he would say.
It does take pressure and focus off OGS and the status of the team for awhile and with Liverpool coming up I wonder if this was not the idea to begin with. The timing is eerie.

JPRouve

Scout
Is it only me that suspects he is taking one for the "team" here?
Its not like he is stupid; he and the PR-department must know that he would be chainsawed for this or tbf for whatever he would say.
It does take pressure and focus off OGS and the status of the team for awhile and with Liverpool coming up I wonder if this was not the idea to begin with. The timing is eerie.
Yeah, it's probably only you because he isn't actually blaming himself or taking responsibility for the results. He is telling everyone that he isn't the one taking the day to day football decisions but that those people are brilliant, despite the lack of evidence.

Johan07

Yeah, it's probably only you because he isn't actually blaming himself or taking responsibility for the results. He is telling everyone that he isn't the one taking the day to day football decisions but that those people are brilliant, despite the lack of evidence.
I cant blame him for this though. Another way of looking at it is that he is trying to protect his employees. But yeah, probably only me)

red thru&thru

Exactly this. He has blamed previous managers but no himself for actually having no vision or direction. Where is the club going? We have shown nothing to show we are proactive. We're just reactive. Poor state to be in, especially the size of the club.

JPRouve

Scout
I cant blame him for this though. Another way of looking at it is that he is trying to protect his employees. But yeah, probably only me)
He is protecting himself, he can't actually say that they have been terrible because the next question will be, why did you hire them and why are they still here?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think the situation is more complex then that.

When Sir Alex started his career with us, football was simpler. Clubs had a smaller pool of staff members and scouting nets were starting to develop. Sir Alex was brought up into a football mentality were managers were drilled to take care of everything from scouting to tactics right to staff recruitment and even putting a word with agents to get signings done. That doesn't mean that Sir Alex didn't get blindsided once in a while. A trip to Malta for example costed us Gazza. Meanwhile Ramsay ended up signing with Arsenal because Sir Alex couldn't meet the guy and instead left it to Gaz. No one, not even Sir Alex could be in two places at once.

As time went by, competition for players grew tougher. Every club started to develop their own scouting nets while every player (even U16s) started employing agents. Many continental clubs found it easier to delegate anything related to transfers to a specific person who could do this job full time. Some managers didn't like that. Mou for example had issues with it but ultimately most people who were involved in football saw it as a necessary evil. Both the manager and the CEO had too much on their plate to handle that part themselves, the latter was tasked to take care of the financial aspect of the club while the former was busy with the day to day running of the team (+ tactics). Unfortunately by that time Sir Alex was far too big to have things imposed on him. He felt that the manager should be at the pinnacle of the football's pyramid and tbf he had the record to defend his position. We did paid a price to that. United's transfers towards the end of Sir Alex's reign were solid but hardly spectacular. He simply had too much on his plate to court super agents which meant that certain players were off limits to us. Fortunately Sir Alex mastery of the EPL meant that we barely ever suffered the consequences of that up until he left.

When Sir Alex retired he made sure we kept the same system he fount. That was a bugger because the job was started to become too big for him let alone for the likes of Moyes. Meanwhile the managers we brought in simply lack the experience of working without a DOF. Unfortunately those same managers who had never enjoyed such free hand ended up quickly hooked to this lack of accountability as that meant that they could hire their friends and mates at both coaching level and at player's (Fellaini, Bastian, Matic, Ibra etc) level. That translated into a scenario were no one bothered to change things around as Woody saw the DOF as a waste of time while the manager saw him as a threat to this new found independence. Lets face it, if at work you can choose not having people breathing at your neck and constantly asking you why you're doing what you're doing then you'll be happier right? Same thing

What the club is doing is what it had been saying all along ie show unconditional support to the manager up until we decided to stop that support which often ended up with the manager kicking and screaming like a spoiled boy. For example the same manager who was allowed to buy a CM he barely ever played for 50m was stopped from buying Maguire despite we desperately needed him. Same with Moyes who thought that the club would honour that outrageously long contract despite him taking the champions to 7th place and LVG who once said that he thought that United could buy anybody (Veruka Salt anyone?)

That's not how things should work. We need somebody knowledgeable at board level who support the manager when he's reasonable while concurrently stopping him from doing a poo poo ie a person whose completely dedicated on transfers which in turn would mean that United won't be taken to the cleaners everytime and could handle a high staff turnover.
This is a very good and accurate post.

SAF was able to thrive in his own echo chamber, but the rest of the industry evolved into a different operating model. Because he was so successful, there was no need to challenge his methods, and none had the authority at the club to do so, even if they wanted.

The problem comes when he left. I remember reading a very revealing quote after he left: new staff and those from the commercial side were trying to work out how the football side of the club ran itself. But when they look behind the SAF curtain 'There was literally nothing there' in terms of systems and processes. ie: It was all in SAF's head, he was the embodiment of the clubs ways of working, and beyond him, none of it had been institutionalised.

This has been catastrophic, as Woodward has subsequently hired managers with conflicting philosophies, to SAF and each other. When they arrived, they were allowed to disregard the myth of SAF, and impose some of their own ideas. Prior to OGS, we were left with a hotchpotch squad operating within a spaghetti mess of a culture. I've read recently that several senior players are very disillusioned by this, and thats perfectly understandable. And so it's good to hear OGS and Woodward talk alot about instilling culture.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

[
Well, he can't be absolved because he and the board put these football people in place. Now we also can't go around and claim that he is taking football decisions when he isn't, it obfuscate the situation more than anything else.
Current and past employees and associates say he is involved. Classic case of he says she says. But to blindly believe Woodward, especially with the context of his public statements over the last six years..it's irresponsible of fans.

We've reached a point when our noise and small protests are finally getting a reaction from the man in charge. If now is the time to decide to fold your arms and claim pedantics, pretending to be impartial, then I can't expect to share any meaningful discourse. Read between the lines, take into account all of what's happened the last six years, be mindful that many leaks have genuine intent behind them (no smoke without fire), and have the gall to stand up for your club. Or keep mum and be content to just see eleven men turn up on the pitch.

Johan07

He is protecting himself, he can't actually say that they have been terrible because the next question will be, why did you hire them and why are they still here?
I said partially. He has probably wanted to say this for a long time.
'But the timing is weird, a couple of days before the Liverpool-game, with a long quiet NT-period just over. He had to know it would cause a shitstorm.
Well, whatever, I am probably wrong as I said.

Scotty McT

Have you ever played chess?

A large part of it is about tactical sacrifices. That's what's happening in here. The Glazers are the king, Woodward is the queen, and now he's throwing the rooks and knights under the bus.

JPRouve

Scout
[

Current and past employees and associates say he is involved. Classic case of he says she says. But to blindly believe Woodward, especially with the context of his public statements over the last six years..it's irresponsible of fans.

We've reached a point when our noise and small protests are finally getting a reaction from the man in charge. If now is the time to decide to fold your arms and claim pedantics, pretending to be impartial, then I can't expect to share any meaningful discourse. Read between the lines, take into account all of what's happened the last six years, be mindful that many leaks have genuine intent behind them (no smoke without fire), and have the gall to stand up for your club. Or keep mum and be content to just see eleven men turn up on the pitch.
You see that's problem, I'm against Woodward and have been for a long time, I'm not impartial and never have been. The only difference is that I'm against him for things he is responsible for, not things that I imagined or read between lines.

Johan07

This is a very good and accurate post.

SAF was able to thrive in his own echo chamber, but the rest of the industry evolved into a different operating model. Because he was so successful, there was no need to challenge his methods, and none had the authority at the club to do so, even if they wanted.

The problem comes when he left. I remember reading a very revealing quote after he left: new staff were stymy to work out how the football side of the club ran itself but when they look behind the SAF curtain 'There was literally nothing there' in terms of systems and processes. ie: It was all in SAFs head, he was the embodiment of the clubs ways of working, and beyond him, none of not had been institutionalised.

This has been catastrophic, as Woodward has hired managers with conflicting philosophies, to SAF and each other. When they arrived, they were allowed to disregard the myth of SAF, and impose some of their own ideas. Prior to OGS, we were left with a hotchpotch squad operating within a spaghetti mess of culture. Ive read recently that several senior players are very disillusioned by this, and thats perfectly understandable. It's good to hear OGS and Woodward talk alot about instilling culture.
Have you ever played chess?

A large part of it is about tactical sacrifices. That's what's happening in here. The Glazers are the king, Woodward is the queen, and now he's throwing the rooks and knights under the bus.
? What? He is doing the opposite. Who is he throwing under the bus? The "brilliant" footballing people at the club? If anything he is protecting his rooks and knights.

ants7

Don't even understand why he had to come out and make these statements. Was he really expecting that this would somehow remedy the situation? Coming out saying "we're brilliant and aiming to win trophies" when we're 12th in the League is really strange. We have eyes and we see what is happening on the pitch.

Strange.

Sterling Archer

You see that's problem, I'm against Woodward and have been for a long time, I'm not impartial and never have been. The only difference is that I'm against him for things he is responsible for, not things that I imagined or read between lines.
I'm not going to ask you to throw caution to the wind; that's not your style and that's fine. But consider how companies are run successfully. When there is year after year of underperformance, first there are perhaps layoffs, management changes but if it still continues then the CEO goes. If it's a public company, often the culling upstairs is done sooner rather than later because a good leader is key. A good leader doesn't do every single minute task but he is ultimately responsible for them. And that's the problem here. Woodward is responsible and his leadership of the club is now seeing us at our worst start in 30 years. Whomever under him is making specific decisions, the well-being of this club isnt on this man or woman, it's on Ed. He needs to be removed or resigned and all fans should be more vocal about it for it to happen.

Ban

Don't even understand why he had to come out and make these statements. Was he really expecting that this would somehow remedy the situation? Coming out saying "we're brilliant and aiming to win trophies" when we're 12th in the League is really strange. We have eyes and we see what is happening on the pitch.

Strange.
It's basically like that This is fine meme.

Scotty McT

? What? He is doing the opposite. Who is he throwing under the bus? The "brilliant" footballing people at the club?
The rook is a brilliant piece to have in chess, but you still need to sacrifice it on occasion to keep your king and queen safe.

Woodward's reign of terror has lasted 6 years and only now, as he coincidentally talks about how the criticism is getting to him and his family, starts talking about who is actually responsible for our recruitment policy. As a previous poster said, he can't exactly call them terrible because it would lead to the question of why they were hired in the first place and why he hasn't sacked them. He's apparently been looking to hire a director of football (of sorts) so he clearly realises that something has needed to change with regards to the recruitment, despite it being "brilliant". It's pretty easy to read between the lines. Workplace politics.

Johan07

The rook is a brilliant piece to have in chess, but you still need to sacrifice it on occasion to keep your king and queen safe.

Woodward's reign of terror has lasted 6 years and only now, as he coincidentally talks about how the criticism is getting to him and his family, starts talking about who is actually responsible for our recruitment policy. As a previous poster said, he can't exactly call them terrible because it would lead to the question of why they were hired in the first place and why he hasn't sacked them. He's apparently been looking to hire a director of football (of sorts) so he clearly realises that something has needed to change with regards to the recruitment, despite it being "brilliant". It's pretty easy to read between the lines. Workplace politics.
So basically "brilliant" means worthless and this should be easy to read "between the lines"? That makes complete sense.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not going to ask you to throw caution to the wind; that's not your style and that's fine. But consider how companies are run successfully. When there is year after year of underperformance, first there are perhaps layoffs, management changes but if it still continues then the CEO goes. If it's a public company, often the culling upstairs is done sooner rather than later because a good leader is key. A good leader doesn't do every single minute task but he is ultimately responsible for them. And that's the problem here. Woodward is responsible and his leadership of the club is now seeing us at our worst start in 30 years. Whomever under him is making specific decisions, the well-being of this club isnt on this man or woman, it's on Ed. He needs to be removed or resigned and all fans should be more vocal about it for it to happen.
You are trying to convince me of something that I support and said many times, we don't need Woodward, his expertise is redundant when you have Arnold and Baty. Also as you said he isn't a good manager, he has failed to create an efficient structure and the club has been bleeding money for no good reason. My only issue is with people making stuff up when we have enough elements against him in real life and they generally do that to protect someone that has been terrible at his own job.

That's why when people were suggesting to bring Van Der Sar or Marotta as DOF, I questioned why not as CEOs instead of Woodward. Woodward is good on the commercial side of things but it's not a rare skill, so to me he will always be expendable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
you are looking at this through the lens of a fan who values trophies and not a business owner who values profits, dividends and a gradually increasing share price.

View it from the eyes of the Glazers, and he's done very well thus far.

Scotty McT

So basically "brilliant" means worthless and this should be easy to read "between the lines"? That makes complete sense.
Have you never heard of the dreaded vote of confidence?

Now, there is a chance that Woodward genuinely thinks those responsible for our recruitment are brilliant and he thinks our squad is great and can't get enough of watching the likes of Fred and Rojo. It wouldn't surprise me too much. But IMO him suddenly mentioning how our recruitment policy actually works is an act of self-preservation in response to all the criticism he's been receiving lately for his alleged role in it.

No one really knew who the brilliant John Murtough was a couple of weeks ago and now we do and we aren't best pleased with his performance, despite the brilliance that no one else but Woodward sees.

Reactions: SteveJ

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Have you never heard of the dreaded vote of confidence?

Now, there is a chance that Woodward genuinely thinks those responsible for our recruitment are brilliant and he thinks our squad is great and can't get enough of watching the likes of Fred and Rojo. It wouldn't surprise me too much. But IMO him suddenly mentioning how our recruitment policy actually works is an act of self-preservation in response to all the criticism he's been receiving lately for his alleged role in it.

No one really knew who the brilliant John Murtough was a couple of weeks ago and now we do and we aren't best pleased with his performance, despite the brilliance that no one else but Woodward sees.
Besides, Woodward isn't a 'football man'; so his view on the brilliance (or otherwise) of football folk isn't worth that much.

Ed's statement, Ole's conference and interview, and even recent newspaper opinion pieces, don't seem so much like statements of intent but, instead, appeals for people to stop criticising the two of them.