Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...-man-utd-resilience-in-face-of-covid-pandemic

United's executive vice-chairman said recent months had demonstrated the “special role that sport plays in our societies” and he was proud of how the club continues to respond.

Speaking after the release of the club's annual financial results, Woodward highlighted our commitment to welcoming fans back to Old Trafford as soon as it is safe. He also stressed the club's desire to help address the financial challenges created by the pandemic for the wider English football pyramid, and to work with other clubs to strengthen the national game for the long term.

On the day after our 2-1 Champions League away victory over Paris Saint-Germain, Woodward gave a positive update on the progress made by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the team over the past year.

“On the field, we will never be satisfied at Manchester United, unless we are winning trophies,” he said. “But our third-place finish in the Premier League and strong cup runs last season showed that, while there is more hard work ahead and the path is not always smooth, we are making progress. We have a clear strategy under Ole to build a successful, committed team, with a core of homegrown talent blended with high-quality recruits, that plays fast flowing, attacking football.

“To that end, we are pleased with our recent additions to the first-team squad of Donny van de Beek and Alex Telles, two players we had been tracking as part of our recruitment process for a long period, and Edinson Cavani, a top striker who adds a new option to our forward line.

“We also welcome Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo, who will join in January, two exciting young prospects who have also been scouted extensively. Added to the arrival of Bruno Fernandes earlier this year, these recruits underscore our continued commitment to strengthening the squad and take our net investment in new players since summer 2019 to over €200m – more, I believe, than any other major European club over that time period.

“We also continue to invest strongly in our thriving Academy, whose graduates make up a third of our current first-team squad. The pipeline of new talent looks as exciting as ever, with Ole giving first team debuts to eight Academy graduates last season – the highest number since the Busby Babes were breaking through in 1952/53. This faith in youth remains an integral part of our identity as a club. Even with the addition of some more experienced players this month, our squad remains one of the youngest in the Premier League with an average age of 25. This means the team has potential for significant further improvement as our young players develop and mature.”

Woodward said he was also “tremendously excited by the progress being made by our Women’s team under Casey Stoney following the arrival of several new players this summer, including Tobin Heath and Christen Press, both two-time World Cup winners with the US national team.”

Commenting on recent discussions about the financial challenges facing many English clubs, particularly smaller ones, Woodward said Manchester United had been “playing an active role in those discussions because we strongly believe in supporting the English football pyramid, both in the short term, to address the issues created by COVID-19, and in the long term to improve financial sustainability at all levels of the game.

“There will always be intense debate around any changes to the structure of football, just as there was before the formation of the Premier League 28 years ago. Now, at this critical juncture for the game, we must ensure that the huge success of the Premier League is reinforced while ensuring that the wider football pyramid continues to thrive in a rapidly changing media environment.

“Achieving this will require strategic vision and leadership. We are pleased that the Premier League has committed to work together on a plan for the future structures and financing of English football. Now it must deliver on that promise, and we are committed to playing a leading role in pushing that process towards a successful outcome.”

Woodward also highlighted the importance of getting fans back into stadiums as soon as it is safe. He said the club’s plans for reopening Old Trafford to supporters were “well advanced and we are confident of ours and the whole league’s ability to welcome them back in a safe, bio-secure environment.

“Crowds have been permitted to return to varying degrees in over 20 European countries, albeit with significant capacity restrictions to allow for social distancing, and we urge the UK government to follow these positive examples as soon as it is safe to do so.

“While we recognise that public health must always be the priority, what is needed is consistency of approach. If people are allowed to sit in a plane for hours, or in the cinema, or even watch football in a cinema, why not outside in a stadium environment which is professionally managed and controlled? If indoor concerts are allowed, why should outdoor, socially-distanced football fans be treated differently? Fans are the bedrock of this game and some of the inconsistencies out there are frustrating for them and for the clubs.”

Last edited:

DarkXaero

Yep. But fan base would rather focus on OleOUT instead of woodyOUT.
Both things can be an issue at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other. If fans are focusing on OleOUT, its because its much easier to do than having WoodyOUT (which is impossible unless Glazers sell).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Both things can be an issue at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other. If fans are focusing on OleOUT, its because its much easier to do than having WoodyOUT (which is impossible unless Glazers sell).
But Ole out changes nothing other than giving the board another poor soul they can hang out to dry

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Has no merit and takes the club significantly backwards, it is self sabotage.

DarkXaero

But Ole out changes nothing other than giving the board another poor soul they can hang out to dry
That's a topic for another discussion, and I don't wish to derail this thread. But the idea is that a good managerial appointment can overcome the incompetence of the board.

DarkXaero

Has no merit and takes the club significantly backwards, it is self sabotage.
It definitely has merit, but given the other thread you created, I can clearly see where you stand on the matter, and I don't wish to discuss this with you at all.

clarkydaz

i missed the part where dividend payments would be waved this year for the good of the pandemic and future of English fooball. £14.99 please

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It breaks my heart that when Ole is sacked(hopefully asap), this failure of a man won't face any consequences.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It breaks my heart that when Ole is sacked(hopefully asap), this failure of a man won't face any consequences.
It is really strange how he's seemingly untouchable. I don't believe Ole is good enough either but Woodward has also been awful for years now. He's not a Glazer, we aren't getting footballing return on capital, results affect finances and so I don't see why he's got such a secure position.

He'sRaldo

It is really strange how he's seemingly untouchable. I don't believe Ole is good enough either but Woodward has also been awful for years now. He's not a Glazer, we aren't getting footballing return on capital, results affect finances and so I don't see why he's got such a secure position.
I'm guessing it's a SAF type situation where he's overseeing a whole lot that the Glazers don't want to be bothered about, hence taking the easy option and keeping him. Just a guess, though.

Traub

This is said a lot, but I'm not so sure. For example, Liverpool have had an amazing three seasons results wise (far in champions league, towards top end of the league) yet don't seem to be overflowing with money.
Many people argue that it will affect the big money sponsorships. I agree to an extent, but I think the capital outlay required to be winning the league is not worth the extra return. Sadly Woodward probably has United in the sweet spot where we are maximising return on capital - it's really not worth it for the Glazers to spend 120m on someone like Sancho to move up a couple places in the league (what's that worth? 25m a season?). Even if it would slightly improve return on capital, given the strength of City and Liverpool, I reckon it wouldn't be worth it on a risk adjusted approach.
Now the big problem is Woodward probably thinks we will always be around that Top 4 spot - either just in or just out. This season is proving that's not even a guarantee anymore.

Stacks

I'm guessing it's a SAF type situation where he's overseeing a whole lot that the Glazers don't want to be bothered about, hence taking the easy option and keeping him. Just a guess, though.
When do chief executives get sacked though? does it happen. At top clubs they churn through managers, failure after but I doubt the chief exec gets fired.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When do chief executives get sacked though? does it happen. At top clubs they churn through managers, failure after but I doubt the chief exec gets fired.
Often Chief Executives of clubs have significant interests in those clubs. Ed is simply an employee, as David Gill was.
This is said a lot, but I'm not so sure. For example, Liverpool have had an amazing three seasons results wise (far in champions league, towards top end of the league) yet don't seem to be overflowing with money.
Many people argue that it will affect the big money sponsorships. I agree to an extent, but I think the capital outlay required to be winning the league is not worth the extra return. Sadly Woodward probably has United in the sweet spot where we are maximising return on capital - it's really not worth it for the Glazers to spend 120m on someone like Sancho to move up a couple places in the league (what's that worth? 25m a season?). Even if it would slightly improve return on capital, given the strength of City and Liverpool, I reckon it wouldn't be worth it on a risk adjusted approach.
Now the big problem is Woodward probably thinks we will always be around that Top 4 spot - either just in or just out. This season is proving that's not even a guarantee anymore.
Football results affect finances in the long term. Liverpool would be far richer than they are now if they were successful in the las 20 years.
We are also not maximizing return on capital. Look at revenue growth in the last 4 years. They have largely been stagnant. Or revenue growth depends almost largely on on broadcast growth. The last time there was significant increase in commercial revenue was when we were allowed to have a sleeve sponsor. I estimate the club has lost a possible 300m in revenue (gate receipts, broadcast) from not being a consistent and competitive CL contender over the last 5/7 years.
So although it is not obvious, football does absolutely have an impact on finances.

Stacks

Often Chief Executives of clubs have significant interests in those clubs. Ed is simply an employee, as David Gill was.

Football results affect finances in the long term. Liverpool would be far richer than they are now if they were successful in the las 20 years.
We are also not maximizing return on capital. Look at revenue growth in the last 4 years. They have largely been stagnant. Or revenue growth depends almost largely on on broadcast growth. The last time there was significant increase in commercial revenue was when we were allowed to have a sleeve sponsor. I estimate the club has lost a possible 300m in revenue (gate receipts, broadcast) from not being a consistent and competitive CL contender over the last 5/7 years.
So although it is not obvious, football does absolutely have an impact on finances.
Do Chelsea fans regularly call for the head of the appointee when managers fail?

I am genuinely curious

kps88

If not sacked, we do at least need restructuring at the top. More football people to take the pressure off Ed would be a good start. Otherwise we're going to be going in circles as there have been too many failed transfer windows under this regime. When it was most important to back Jose and Ole to take things up a level, we bottled it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Another key moment right now to see whether he'll act quickly and decisively and replace Ole asap, or if he'll let the season run out of control before he does it (like he normally does everything).

romufc

Do Chelsea fans regularly call for the head of the appointee when managers fail?

I am genuinely curious
Chelsea sack the manager if they dont win the league in 2 seasons, get a manager who wins the league.

There is a difference there. We havent won or come close in 8 years.

romufc

Chelsea last title was 2017. They have gone 3 seasons withoyt and backed Lampard despite coming 4th
Sarri was fired after wining the Europa league.

They had a transfer ban which has given Lampard an extra year, they are not shy in making changes.

romufc

Neither were we. We sacked Jose after a 2nd placed finish!
2nd place but didnt look like winning it, he was not sacked on the spot was he? He was given till December of the next season, so clearly there is a massive difference.

Stacks

2nd place but didnt look like winning it, he was not sacked on the spot was he? He was given till December of the next season, so clearly there is a massive difference.
Why would they sack Jose for finishing 2nd out of 20 teams and getting to a cup final? We had our highest finish and pts since Ferguson. was Sarri even a sacking? he got the Juve job which is a promotion. Not like Chelsea parted ways with him and he was unemployed. He left Chelsea to manage back in Italy with a better team.

romufc

Why would they sack Jose for finishing 2nd out of 20 teams and getting to a cup final? We had our highest finish and pts since Ferguson. was Sarri even a sacking? he got the Juve job which is a promotion. Not like Chelsea parted ways with him and he was unemployed. He left Chelsea to manage back in Italy with a better team.
So you are contradicting yourself... First you say we are not shy in sacking we sacked Jose for finishing 2nd, then say why would they sack for finishing 2nd? Makes no sense.

Clearly they didnt want him, otherwise they wouldn't have let him go, it was well documented that they are looking to get rid of him anyway.

Better team? that is your opinion.

Stacks

So you are contradicting yourself... First you say we are not shy in sacking we sacked Jose for finishing 2nd, then say why would they sack for finishing 2nd? Makes no sense.

Clearly they didnt want him, otherwise they wouldn't have let him go, it was well documented that they are looking to get rid of him anyway.

Better team? that is your opinion.
No. We sacked Jose who had finished 2nd the previous season because he was doing badly by December. When you mentioned Sarri I thought you were claiming we should have replaced Jose that Summer.

romufc

No. We sacked Jose who had finished 2nd the previous season because he was doing badly by December. When you mentioned Sarri I thought you were claiming we should have replaced Jose that Summer.
I am saying Chelsea sack managers very quickly.. this time is not given to them.

Ole could have been sacked 6 times already

Stacks

I am saying Chelsea sack managers very quickly.. this time is not given to them.

Ole could have been sacked 6 times already
???? Jose was in the relegation zone and they waited ages till they sacked him. They gave Conte the whole season to finish 5th.

tell me the 6 times he could have been sacked?

romufc

???? Jose was in the relegation zone and they waited ages till they sacked him. They gave Conte the whole season to finish 5th.

tell me the 6 times he could have been sacked?
Conte won the league the season before...

First - the end of the season he got appointed where he bottled top 4
2nd - Poor start to last season - hence why he played Pogba in a league cup game to save his job
3rd - After West Ham away - terrible
4th - Just before xmas when we won games against City and Spurs
5th - After Burnley
6th- After Spurs

I have been backing Ole for a while now, the Arsenal game was the turning point for me.

There is one thing that we can be sure of, Ole cannot put more than 4 wins in a row.

Stacks

2nd - Poor start to last season - hence why he played Pogba in a league cup game to save his job
5th - After Burnley
6th- After Spurs

I have been backing Ole for a while now, the Arsenal game was the turning point for me.

There is one thing that we can be sure of, Ole cannot put more than 4 wins in a row.
So he should of been sacked after 3 months of caretaker manager despite making up 11 + pts on the teams infront after picking up Jose mess?
The fact we finished 3rd should demontrate why it is silly to sack managers after every bad result

just seems childish.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

5th - After Burnley
6th- After Spurs

Firstly you are one man and that is one mans opinion. Secondly, we've gone on runs under Ole. People need to calm down. The start to the seasons been poor but we can't change that now. The players are BETTER then they've shown and have to take responsibility. Even if we look at Chelsea and Arsenal games alone.....we had the best chance and if we score that we win the game. We could and should have played stronger.....that''s true. Against Arsenal, they were better but again we should have held on. We're talking fine margins. So the team NEED to get angry and they better had. That is their job. If they walk to have no passion or fight, they can give their money to the poor and needy. They gotta remember who they represent.

Amir

So he should of been sacked after 3 months of caretaker manager despite making up 11 + pts on the teams infront after picking up Jose mess?
He should have carried on with whatever was planned after Mourinho's sacking (assuming there was a plan). Not be swayed by a few good results.