Ed Woodward: Club won’t use government furlough scheme, they will be paid as normal

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
#ClapForFSG

cyril C

Link?

£900 a month is well below minimum wage for full time employees. The govt scheme promises to pay up to £2500 a month.

The guys working in the commercial side of the business will be earning even more than that, as it's so important to our off-field success. Then there's scouts etc who probably earn a decent wack.
It was on BBC web site 2 days ago. It was about a small business who had to furlough a few of his staff including his wife, and claimed his wife should get 900 per month (but not director fee). He kept 2 of his staff on payroll as his Co. provide emergency engineering service.

I was hoping someone could tell me what was the ceiling of government scheme. Trust you that GBP 2500 is the ceiling but in full % or any discount to previous wage? Say a senior manager on 120K p.a. can get 2.5K a month?

When Liverpool put 200 of their staff on furlough, do you think they cut all the managers or directors, or could they touch any of their players under contract? Absolutely not, it will ALWAYS be the bottom of the pyramid that get the chop.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
No problem, I just thought this announcement came at a cynical time when we haven't heard much in the way of furloughing until Liverpool made a meal of it and caused outrage. I'm glad it's happened and I don't have a huge problem with the Glaziers or Woodward as it happens.
The news in the OP came yesterday, so maybe they've got wind of the letter sent to staff. However, I'm pretty sure this was doing the rounds at the weekend or earlier, before Liverpool's U-turn.

We really shouldn't be worrying about second-guessing motives. I'm fairly surprised that we weren't one of the clubs trying to get our hands on the government scheme funds in all honesty, so for us to come out insisting that we won't and that all staff will be paid as normal is great news. I don't care if the Glazers see it as an opportunity for some good publicity or whether they're secretly staunch libertarians who hate the idea of government assistance. Whatever the motive behind the decision, it's the correct one, so let's just enjoy that.

And maybe, just maybe, the people running the club actually have hearts and want to do the right thing at this challenging time.

The news in the OP came yesterday, so maybe they've got wind of the letter sent to staff. However, I'm pretty sure this was doing the rounds at the weekend or earlier, before Liverpool's U-turn.

We really shouldn't be worrying about second-guessing motives. I'm fairly surprised that we weren't one of the clubs trying to get our hands on the government scheme funds in all honesty, so for us to come out insisting that we won't and that all staff will be paid as normal is great news. I don't care if the Glazers see it as an opportunity for some good publicity or whether they're secretly staunch libertarians who hate the idea of government assistance. Whatever the motive behind the decision, it's the correct one, so let's just enjoy that.

And maybe, just maybe, the people running the club actually have hearts and want to do the right thing at this challenging time.
it was announced a couple of weeks ago that they would continue to pay all its flexible match day staff irrespective of whether there were any games.

decorativeed

Decision was made a week ago. Was included within discussion with maguire re team wage donations.

Glazers can be questionable owners but they can also be good employers too.

And also nothing wrong if public perception informs part of decision making. We actively promote our 'brand', so it makes sense that decisions would always seek to defend and even improve that.

So not sure what your problem is.
According to the article.

According to multiple people I know who work for the club, this time last week they were being told by their direct managers that there would be staff being furloughed and the details would be announced to them on Thursday or Friday. Instead they saw the backlash against Liverpool and shelved the plans, only telling staff for certain on Monday. Most found out the club's new policy by reading it in the news.

Uniquim

[TA] Every Manchester United staff member received a present in the post this week, as the club showed their gratitude for working on through the coronavirus crisis. United redeployed employees to volunteering efforts rather than placing them on furlough.

The package sent out to 800 people included contributions from sponsors, such as Adidas face masks, a Paul Smith notebook and a Cadbury chocolate bar, as well as a signed greetings card from Bryan Robson and recipes provided by the club chef. The gift box was the idea of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who wrote to staff: “Stay safe and see you all soon.”

---

Honestly think we've handled this whole thing really well, especially compared to some of the other clubs. Between this and Ed's initiative to refund fans for LASK Linz game, I've been getting a better impression of the guy.

Jam

[TA] Every Manchester United staff member received a present in the post this week, as the club showed their gratitude for working on through the coronavirus crisis. United redeployed employees to volunteering efforts rather than placing them on furlough.

The package sent out to 800 people included contributions from sponsors, such as Adidas face masks, a Paul Smith notebook and a Cadbury chocolate bar, as well as a signed greetings card from Bryan Robson and recipes provided by the club chef. The gift box was the idea of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who wrote to staff: “Stay safe and see you all soon.”

---

Honestly think we've handled this whole thing really well, especially compared to some of the other clubs. Between this and Ed's initiative to refund fans for LASK Linz game, I've been getting a better impression of the guy.
I don’t think his business acumen and management is people’s issue with him.

The criticisms are (mostly) related to his work within the footballing sphere of the club, rather than the structures around the football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh, I think the pandemic highlighted a bitter and frankly jealous attitude that society holds towards football(ers). Many multimillion pound companies furloughed their staff no problem, but heaven forbid a football club does. Because of course, they are all rich for nothing anyway.

How can Spurs be attacked for furloughing staff, and then the same Spurs need to take a fecking government loan to stay afloat?! Everyone should have just pissed off in the first instance and let them furlough, none of this ‘they have finally done the right thing’ by retracting the furlough. Does anyone even care about the accounts? Everything in football is treated like some frivolous waste, but the money is coming from somewhere, and the clubs are clearly adding social value.

Eire Red United

Tbh, I think the pandemic highlighted a bitter and frankly jealous attitude that society holds towards football(ers). Many multimillion pound companies furloughed their staff no problem, but heaven forbid a football club does. Because of course, they are all rich for nothing anyway.

How can Spurs be attacked for furloughing staff, and then the same Spurs need to take a fecking government loan to stay afloat?! Everyone should have just pissed off in the first instance and let them furlough, none of this ‘they have finally done the right thing’ by retracting the furlough. Does anyone even care about the accounts? Everything in football is treated like some frivolous waste, but the money is coming from somewhere, and the clubs are clearly adding social value.
Probably because footballers are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play football in the first place, never mind getting paid to not even play.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably because footballers are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play football in the first place, never mind getting paid to not even play.
I strongly suspect Daniel Levy wasn’t truing to furlough Harry Kane and asking the government to pay him £2500 a month. The request was obviously for the other professionals. You know, like the people being furloughed for doing the same jobs in other multi-million pound companies - administrative, security, cashiers and more. It was apparently ‘bad taste’ for a football club to furlough them, and Virgin Atlantic too because they have a rich figure head we can be jealous at, but half the high street doing the same have massive turnovers too. Ultimately, the fact that Spurs later took a loan out shows they were not best equipped to deal with the pandemic, so why is it bad taste for them to furlough? Because football?
You just proved his point
Indeed.