Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What change Mate ?Paying over the odds for decent players ?

Not saying they are bad but Maguire was never a 80M and AWB was never a 50M player.

With proper DOF we could have signed better players with less money
Can you name a better CB and RB that we could get cheaper this summer?

Man United always pay a premium. Personally I’m thrilled we signed Maguire and Wan Bissaka. They have made the first 11 a lot stronger.

If we hadn’t signed Maguire we’d have been fecked this season. With all of the injuries we’ve had, either Matic or McTominay Would have played there for most of the season.

TrueRed79

Why are we so slow in the market most seasons? Because we don't have the proper recruitment structures in place imo. That goes for getting rid of deadwood as well by the way. Ridiculous contract renewals given to average players because it costs less than getting rid and buying better quality. Look at Liverpool for example. Probably going to sign Thiago, a top level midfielder, fantastic signing if they pull it off. Then they try and sign that Norwich left back. They ask for too much money and the next day they sign another. That's how you fecking recruit. Woodward is our CEO and the buck stops with him. He's terrible at this side of things and don't for one second believe the narrative that he's not involved in transfers. This guys ego is as big as his forehead. We drag our heels in every single transfer i can think of, and if you believe the news that comes out about our dealings is that we are awful to do business with. Nothing but the best of windows will do this summer, yet we just seem to limber along.

clarkydaz

Why are we so slow in the market most seasons? Because we don't have the proper recruitment structures in place imo. That goes for getting rid of deadwood as well by the way. Ridiculous contract renewals given to average players because it costs less than getting rid and buying better quality. Look at Liverpool for example. Probably going to sign Thiago, a top level midfielder, fantastic signing if they pull it off. Then they try and sign that Norwich left back. They ask for too much money and the next day they sign another. That's how you fecking recruit. Woodward is our CEO and the buck stops with him. He's terrible at this side of things and don't for one second believe the narrative that he's not involved in transfers. This guys ego is as big as his forehead. We drag our heels in every single transfer i can think of, and if you believe the news that comes out about our dealings is that we are awful to do business with. Nothing but the best of windows will do this summer, yet we just seem to limber along.
Maybe they drag transfers out now to minimise the outlay. Say we paid dortmund 100m this week nice and early. Fans would be saying nice one, whos next? They dragged out AWB, Maguire, Bruno and now Sancho.

for LVG we got a bunch of signings in very quick, and LVG himself as manager as he went to the semis of the world cup. So they are years more experienced but slower, there must be a reason for it. And with this lot it will surely boil down to finances somehow

Coleyoscar

Maybe they drag transfers out now to minimise the outlay.
This suggests that there is a strategy at play. Trying their best to look like incompetent amateur negotiators because they are cunningly clever? I'm more inclined to believe the obvious: it's cock up rather than conspiracy.

clarkydaz

This suggests that there is a strategy at play. Trying their best to look like incompetent amateur negotiators because they are cunningly clever? I'm more inclined to believe the obvious: it's cock up rather than conspiracy.
i dunno, players terms are agreed, player wants to come, they know the price they need to pay. No other clubs are in the running and it appears to be our only target. Even Ole said we need to get quality in and pay for it. Seems a straightforward deal bar wanting to part with money

GoldanoGraham

i dunno, players terms are agreed, player wants to come, they know the price they need to pay. No other clubs are in the running and it appears to be our only target. Even Ole said we need to get quality in and pay for it. Seems a straightforward deal bar wanting to part with money
I can only assume that the Sancho deal is stalling while Dortmund sort out their replacement - the fact that we have stayed so quiet has got to be a sign, Dortmund making noises just a smokescreen - I really wouldn’t be surprised if they are wrapping up a deal for Memphis Depay but need to keep quiet as not to distract attention until they are out of the CL (which should be to night)

You would hope that we have at least one other deal lined up as well - just waiting for the various dominoes to fall into place......

Or

The sheer incompetence of our transfer/negotiating team will have hit new heights this summer...

Denis' cuff

I can only assume that the Sancho deal is stalling while Dortmund sort out their replacement - the fact that we have stayed so quiet has got to be a sign, Dortmund making noises just a smokescreen - I really wouldn’t be surprised if they are wrapping up a deal for Memphis Depay but need to keep quiet as not to distract attention until they are out of the CL (which should be to night)

You would hope that we have at least one other deal lined up as well - just waiting for the various dominoes to fall into place......

Or

The sheer incompetence of our transfer/negotiating team will have hit new heights this summer...

Got there in the end, mate. ;)

There is no smokescreen. Don’t see any mystery here. They’ve said how much they want for the player and we are dithering again. Yes, it’s a lot of wonga but that’s the market. I don’t even think they are being unreasonable, besides possibly not being a bit more accommodating with terms but we don’t really know, do we? All this about them bluffing is bollox. They said they’d sell for a price and we didn’t turn up. We do it every time. It’s the tight-arsed owners again. They’re not so slow dishing out dividends whilst the club is hundreds of millions in debt... oh, i forgot... “The debt is a tax write-off“. Why don’t we pay the market for a player and write that off the fecking tax bill and we might benefit the football side of the club. Imagine that? They’ll leave it late again and say they ran out of time despite the window being wide open for months. As for the “times are tough” excuses, they’ll be even tougher after this year when half a dozen other clubs are in The top end of the market. I know we at the “United tax” but we have been doing that since we signed Macari, if not before.

not a rant at you, mate - just these cnuts that have hijacked the club.

romufc

So we have seen the effect that no fans have even for 5 games to our finances.

How many will be rushing to get back to Old Trafford if we make no meaningful signings and have a bad start?

L1nk

I genuinely hate Ed Woodward and the Glazers, absolute parasites of this once great club, once upon a time we'd be honouring Ferdinand for being our best defender for nearly a decade, yet Woodward treats him like this, i hope im alive to see the club being sold to someone who actually cares one day

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I genuinely hate Ed Woodward and the Glazers, absolute parasites of this once great club, once upon a time we'd be honouring Ferdinand for being our best defender for nearly a decade, yet Woodward treats him like this, i hope im alive to see the club being sold to someone who actually cares one day
Likewise. Absolutely loathe them / him.

Woodward's reign has been utterly woeful and he's the one constant throughout.

If he tried the same at any of the global club's of our size he'd probably find his safety at constant threat.

Has dismantled what Utd was, and gotten away with it due to a very forgiving fanbase.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Only one word for Ed's/Judge's transfer dealings - incompetent.

Coops73

Same, we’ll never be the club we was and should be with these people running it and it’s not just about whether they have or haven’t spent X amount it just seems that their lack of respect and knowledge of our club and the footballing environment and community i.e. how to deal with other clubs, players etc is either extremely naive or just plain careless.

arthurka

Even Arsenal is signing players how the hell does this guy still have a job. Will Ole be the next victim of Ed's failure as the nr 1 man at Utd.

clarkydaz

He screwed Evra around the same time publicly extending his 1 year extension, after they shook hands agreeing they wouldnt.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Is this "Concentrate on one signing at a time" thing that gets repeated a lot on here/ in the press actually ever been confirmed?

Whilst it does feel sometimes like that's how we operate, it would be bizarre if it was actually the truth.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Is this "Concentrate on one signing at a time" thing that gets repeated a lot on here/ in the press actually ever been confirmed?

Whilst it does feel sometimes like that's how we operate, it would be bizarre if it was actually the truth.
We signed that super kid from Serbia while sending ridiculous offers for Sancho, so perhaps Ed is not sitting alone in his office watching youtube vids at all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He is untouchable. It's been about 5 years of failure and obscene spending and he's still there. He'll always be there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We signed that super kid from Serbia while sending ridiculous offers for Sancho, so perhaps Ed is not sitting alone in his office watching youtube vids at all.
Thats what I figure... It would be truly ridiculous if a club of our size actually operated in that way.

rotherham_red

How many will be rushing to get back to Old Trafford if we make no meaningful signings and have a bad start?
fecking everyone, ffs :lol:

Going to the football, is so much more than just going to watch 22 men kick a ball around the pitch. I've got friends who sit either side of me at the ground who I haven't seen in months and likely won't see for the best part of a year, for example.

rotherham_red

I don't think we've signed him. In fact, there are legitimate doubts as to whether we have any interest in him at all.

DevilRed

He is untouchable. It's been about 5 years of failure and obscene spending and he's still there. He'll always be there.
As long as there is no financial failure, he will always be here.

Also, I think he gets too much stick for his dealings in the transfer market.

He should be given shit for appointing the managers he has appointed. But in the market, he has gotten our managers almost every single player they wanted to a certain realistic point.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Thats what I figure... It would be truly ridiculous if a club of our size actually operated in that way.
Nah, but we're definitely f*cking around. Poking deals like Gabriel and then just leaving it like it is. David Brooks interest feels bit like slap in the face for those who are still believing in quality right winger coming here.

I'm calm and waiting for end of August and if we won't see any strategy of upgrading this team, then I'll have some basis to believe we're again entering another season not fully ready for bigger challenge whatsoever.

Matthew84!

I think the reason we are so slow in the transfer market is we're waiting for all our players to return from loans so we know which ones we can use as a trade, romero, rojo, smalling could be useful,

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Surely if we're focussing on trying to sign Sancho then we're aware it will require a significant chunk of money upfront. To be able to go after other players we need to know exactly how much cash we have to play with. My guess is we can't sign player X for 30m euros as we might need that money for the Sancho deal.

That's how I see the situation anyway, we don't have an unlimited pool of cash to throw at players, we have a very specific balance and we're trying to come up with the best strategy to use it. Clearly Ole has said Sancho is the priority and the difference of 10m euros could mean we have to sign option C for defense rather than option B. I also imagine this is why we keep hearing that United are getting frustrated with Dortmund as slowly us up with the Sancho deal is having a knock on effect with the others.

Morpheus 7

Covid, qualifying for Champions League, keeping sponsorship revenue from addias. It doesn't matter, same story. There are no consequences for this board or Woodward. The same failings in the transfer market is obvious. It's early yet but I'm feeling the Jose summer vibes again. The club have no real ambition to compete for the league. It's just about scraping Champions League for the least amount of money now. Unless the manager is backed and gets what he needs, we are going nowhere. Absolute no accountability, at the minimum we need three players. I'd be surprised if we get two quality players this Summer, we finished over 30 points behind Liverpool.

My question is what was he doing during lockdown? Getting rid of players and real negotiating should have started. We sorted the Sanchez deal that's it. It's not even frustrating at this point, it's depressing long term. The progress of United is so slow. We know what we need but are reluctant to do it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Not every United fan is so self entitled that they only support the club for glory and muppet signings. You do realise that we were still the best supported club in stadiums during our 26 years without the title? Im sure we will have even more demand for tickets once the covid19 nightmare is over.

Last edited:

romufc

Not every United fan is so self entitled that they only support the club for glory and muppet signings! You do realise that we were still the best supported club during our 26 years without the title? Im sure we will have even more demand for tickets once the covid19 nightmare is over.
Its not about muppet signings, its about progression. I am not saying we need to spend £250m on transfers but something to help the squad going into next season.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm generally pretty relaxed about our transfer business and, despite so much contradictory evidence, tend to assume we're just being diligent in how we negotiate. That said, if our financial position is so uncertain that we can't quickly sign Sancho, I just wish we'd move the feck on and aim to improve other positions instead. It does feel like our inability to be decisive makes every deal, in every window, a total saga.

We never seem to learn. And it's even more frustrating with Ole having delivered his side of the bargain by making the top 4. I'm sure he'll be equally as frustrated by all this procrastination as we are.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's gone super quiet hasnt it? Come on Ed. Let's get things rolling and show some ambition. Our response to Liverpool's number 19 has been a bit muted, really.

Unless we get Sancho, in which we all know Woodward is just the best.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Is he good OR bad?

Ive been saying this for years; his job performance has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with winning football matches and winning trophies.

The Glazers only care about us doing decently well and signing a new pillow sponsor or Mister Potato Chip deal, so they can continue to extract every dime out of us and the club as they can.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its not about muppet signings, its about progression. I am not saying we need to spend £250m on transfers but something to help the squad going into next season.
Thats not the point you made. You were speculating if fans would go back to Old Trafford. I think the demand for tickets will be even greater post covid19.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ive been saying this for years; his job performance has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with winning football matches and winning trophies.

The Glazers only care about us doing decently well and signing a new pillow sponsor or Mister Potato Chip deal, so they can continue to extract every dime out of us and the club as they can.
With the amount we've spent we should be winning trophies. Winning trophies would then allow us to make more money in the boardroom. My understanding is that while we have managed to continue increasing our revenues over this period, the other top clubs have been increasing faster and are making up ground on us.