Ed Woodward - Same medicine for the patient, no new structure?

ROFLUTION

So apparently Ed has briefed the better parts of the press on how we're going to spend big and get in 6 players, etc.

This all sounds great and fans are buzzing. But will the underlying problem really be solved?

1) It seems completely bizarre, that we're going to mega-spend, without a DoF having overseen the structure and a general plan is laid out.

A DoF should be hired well in advance, BEFORE we enter the market with a giant wallet. If he's not hired now or at least before June, how is he going to influence our long term strategy, as he's supposed to?

We might just spent a fortune, and find out later, that this wasn't the optimal way to go about things - and that these players wont fit a new manager if Ole fails. There's a great chance we'll just spend on big names, without them fitting into an overall plan or style.

2) There's no transparency from Ed or The Glazers - just leaks.

If there is indeed an overall plan and we're not just paddling for 4th, how about actually telling us fans just a little bit about it? Why do we even leak these things? It makes the prices higher, and sets our expectations extremely high, when in reality we could meet transfer struggles, like in previous years, when we ask for Müller, Fabregas, and then be left with Fellaini's. Sounds like bad media-use to me. Had Ed gone the other way and just surprised us with 6 signings, then we'd be more in his boat.

Overall it all sounds like we're giving the ill patient, that is Manchester United, the same medicine, that didnt make the patient better the last previous years. The fans are jumping for joy, because they'll be given some morphine/transfers for now, but after the spending, the pain could just as well come back, considering the transfer-strategy of the previous six years. This sounds like treatment of symptoms, not the underlying cause.

To me this just reeks of incompetence and stupid-money spending. And the signal is that Woodward just wants to show what a big-spender he is. Again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So apparently Ed has briefed the better parts of the press on how we're going to spend big and get in 6 players, etc.

This all sounds great and fans are buzzing. But will the underlying problem really be solved?

1) It seems completely bizarre, that we're going to mega-spend, without a DoF having overseen the structure and a general plan is laid out.

A DoF should be hired well in advance, BEFORE we enter the market with a giant wallet. If he's not hired now or at least before June, how is he going to influence our long term strategy, as he's supposed to?

We might just spent a fortune, and find out later, that this wasn't the optimal way to go about things - and that these players wont fit a new manager if Ole fails. There's a great chance we'll just spend on big names, without them fitting into an overall plan or style.

If there is indeed an overall plan and we're not just paddling for 4th, how about actually telling us fans just a little bit about it? Why do we even leak these things? It makes the prices higher, and sets our expectations extremely high, when in reality we could meet transfer struggles, like in previous years, when we ask for Müller, Fabregas, and then be left with Fellaini's. Sounds like bad media-use to me. Had Ed gone the other way and just surprised us with 6 signings, then we'd be more in his boat.

Overall it all sounds like we're giving the ill patient, that is Manchester United, the same medicine, that didnt make the patient better the last previous years. The fans are jumping for joy, because they'll be given some morphine/transfers for now, but after the spending, the pain could just as well come back, considering the transfer-strategy of the previous six years. This sounds like treatment of symptoms, not the underlying cause.

To me this just reeks of incompetence and stupid-money spending. And the signal is that Woodward just wants to show what a big-spender he is. Again.
Could you explain to me exactly what you want a DoF to do this summer, and why you would have a problem with Ole Solskjaer and his team doing that?

ROFLUTION

Could you explain to me exactly what you want a DoF to do this summer, and why you would have a problem with Ole Solskjaer and his team doing that?
Sure. Start recruiting squad players from within and spend the money on big players who makes a difference. Mbappes, Sanchos, etc

Way too much money is wasted on dross or over the top players, and we need to be effective and true to our core of developing players. McTominays, Rashfords.

ROFLUTION

is the plan to have succes immediately? Or is it buying all the young talents to have Success in 5 years, and build continuosly on that? What is the actual strategy, that will fit all future managers?

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sure. Start recruiting squad players from within and spend the money on big players who makes a difference. Mbappes, Sanchos, etc

Way too much money is wasted on dross or over the top players, and we need to be effective and true to our core of developing players. McTominays, Rashfords.
This is fair. Can the manager not do this though? Have a long-term plan and promote develop young players from within?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is fair. Can the manager not do this though? Have a long-term plan and promote develop young players from within?
Generally head coaches are in self preservation mode, their short to mid term future is based on short to mid term results, so no they can't do that.

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

I suspect that the new Technical Director is being promoted from within, and has already been a part of developing the transfer plan.

I suspect that the new Technical Director is being promoted from within, and has already been a part of developing the transfer plan.
I hope this is the case, and we're just waiting to announce it.

I imagine Ed thinks all the talk about how much we're going to spend and how big we are makes us more appealing to sponsors.

Coops73

I suspect this is all bluff and bluster from Woody again, it does seem that there has been some sort of briefing to the press but ultimately I think we may get 1 or 2 in, a few quid spent and we’ll all be left feeling slightly underwhelmed until deadline day when we’ll buy Bale for 200 million and he’ll be shite and injured for the best part of the season.

Happy Friday people!

ROFLUTION

JPRouve said it.

Also following a strategy of only buying the really big players trickles down to effect the younger players. How many talents have wanted to play with Messi?

If Fred's are the ones to look up to, we will get Freds.

Much more in this than just buying 6 players and playing a big shot ordering a big round in the bar to impress people.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Generally head coaches are in self preservation mod, their short to mid term future is based on short to mid term results, so no they can't do that.
That’s never been the ‘United way’ though. The working theory is that managers like Moyes, Van Gaal and Solskjaer were brought in to do these types of things. I know they haven’t all stuck around, but sporting directors are not necessarily ‘Job for life’ guys either. They always seem to be on the move.

Tarrou

we don't know he's briefed its just guess-work

if he has its bloody silly though, compare Fergie's public statement of "no value in the market", which one would you prefer to preface any transfer negotiation you had to go into?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He's a moron in footballing matters...

Disastrous performance as CEO, one awful, laughable decision after another.

Couldn't care less what he says, just want him to feck off.

I have no respect for him within a footballing capacity - how could anyone at this point?

Utter mug.

JPRouve

Scout
That’s never been the ‘United way’ though. The working theory is that managers like Moyes, Van Gaal and Solskjaer were brought in to do these types of things. I know they haven’t all stuck around, but sporting directors are not necessarily ‘Job for life’ guys either. They always seem to be on the move.
The United way isn't really a thing. United only won the league with 3 managers, two of them are arguably among the best ever, we don't actually have a recipe for success that is linked to the club or an organization, it's all down to somehow stumbling on a great manager. So if you want to wait 30 years and one day find a unicorn then it's fine, we can take punts on dozens of managers that will miserably fail.

Last edited:

Johan07

He has briefed the press has he? The Caf sometimes... Its a fecking tabloid story.

ROFLUTION

we don't know he's briefed its just guess-work

if he has its bloody silly though, compare Fergie's public statement of "no value in the market", which one would you prefer to preface any transfer negotiation you had to go into?
He has briefed the press has he? The Caf sometimes... Its a fecking tabloid story.
When 3 of the big trustworthy sources come out with these news at the same time, its really plausible he's briefed the press.

The way Ed acts (seen from the outside) is step by step. Like if he has to be forced to make a move based on what shit he/the Glazers have fecked up. Its repair, repair, repair.

Ed seems like he has to have his hand forced before he reacts.. Not exactly great leadership to me. He's having the small glasses on.. What can save my ass, in the next 2 years. and its reacting instead of being pro-actice.. having balls to do some actual groundwork on what the strategy is. Have patience, manage the fans.. tell them about the plans.. be transparent..

We dont know anything else from how he acts in the media, and from the outside it seems as if he's just plastering the injured patient together short term.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Published simultaneously by the BBC, Telegraph, Guardian, etc. It's clearly your typical Woodward briefing.

Skills

Snitch
The United way isn't a really thing. United only won the league with 3 managers, two of them are arguably among the best ever, we don't actually have a recipe for success that is linked to the club or an organization, it's all down to somehow stumbling on a great manager. So if you want to wait 30 years and one day find a unicorn then it's fine, we can take punts on dozens of managers that will miserably fail.
Ah don't you know? Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby were no different to the Moyes', Mourinho's and Van Gaal's. They were just lucky enough to be given enough time.

JPRouve

Scout
Published simultaneously by the BBC, Telegraph, Guardian, etc. It's clearly your typical Woodward briefing.
Reading the articles I think that the brief only concerned Sanchez, the other parts are about players that are at the end of their contracts this summer which isn't exactly a scoop and a little bit of speculation on potential signings from the writers.

Tarrou

When 3 of the big trustworthy sources come out with these news at the same time, its really plausible he's briefed the press.

The way Ed acts (seen from the outside) is step by step. Like if he has to be forced to make a move based on what shit he/the Glazers have fecked up. Its repair, repair, repair.

Ed seems like he has to have his hand forced before he reacts.. Not exactly great leadership to me. He's having the small glasses on.. What can save my ass, in the next 2 years. and its reacting instead of being pro-actice.. having balls to do some actual groundwork on what the strategy is. Have patience, manage the fans.. tell them about the plans.. be transparent..

We dont know anything else from how he acts in the media, and from the outside it seems as if he's just plastering the injured patient together short term.
Yeah more likely a briefing, it's not a guarantee though.

Johan07

Woodward - and I am not his biggest supporter at all - if anything has a history of not speaking/briefing to the press at all. Its BS IMO.
That said: what is the problem? We will probably lose at least six players this summer. Hell, half of the Caf wants us to get rid of twelve or more.
So if someone has been briefing the press they would have said the fecking obvious thing: We will need to replace Darmian/Rojo/Valencia/Pereira + maybe Herrera/Mata/De Gea as well.
How is this a stick to beat Woodward with? If there was any evidence to begin with that someone leaked that we will be needing new players in the summer?
It should be a fecking positive thing if anything.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The United way isn't really a thing. United only won the league with 3 managers, two of them are arguably among the best ever, we don't actually have a recipe for success that is linked to the club or an organization, it's all down to somehow stumbling on a great manager. So if you want to wait 30 years and one day find a unicorn then it's fine, we can take punts on dozens of managers that will miserably fail.
I don’t disagree with that. I’ve spoken against this ‘United Way’ many a time, hence my inverted commas. The fact is though, the club does seem to think itself different from others in many ways I think.

ROFLUTION

It really doesnt matter what he says or dont say.

The next time we look for a player they knkw we're rich. Our earnings and assets are publiv info.
You're right.. on paper.. But I think its not just about other clubs and there's more to this and better ways to go about these PR exercises. Its also a performance and backing of the club thing/exercise.

Set us up to buy 6 players: Expectations from fans high, expectations might not be met - Pressure and questions asked if we dont get the right players. Look at Fellaini. Always judged in the shadow of the Fabregas we did not get. Now look at Fred, where there wasn't much expectations. Different situations, but the way players are bought, affects how we as fans judge them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The technical director is gonna come from within in the club. I'm pretty sure plans have already been laid out by the man in question.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The technical director is gonna come from within in the club. I'm pretty sure plans have already been laid out by the man in question.
If that's the case I'm assuming the reports that Phelan is not pleased with the club structure & Ole needing to delay targets are just fake news?

Also why would the technical director role not be announced by now, or at least before Ole was announced? If they are hiring from within they surely know who it is they want. If they don't know who they want from within then why the feck are they looking from within :lol:

Nothing adds up.

matt23

If that's the case I'm assuming the reports that Phelan is not pleased with the club structure & Ole needing to delay targets are just fake news?

Also why would the technical director role not be announced by now, or at least before Ole was announced? If they are hiring from within they surely know who it is they want. If they don't know who they want from within then why the feck are they looking from within :lol:

Nothing adds up.
Yeah, probably.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We need to improve the squad. We have to spend. It's a bigger mess than it seems, with no secure RB, a messy defence in general (only LB is solid and no backup there), midfield is up in the air massively still, we STILL have no right wing, we don't have a great striker, and our left side is inconsistent at best. We leave it longer and it gets harder and harder, specially as we don't improve and players may want to leave.

The United way is the Fergie way. Nothing wrong with that though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We've just briefed the press about our looming huge window. Targets leaked. That's from the playbook of the last 5-6 years.

We've got our biggest assets in calamitous contract situations, with Pogba having 2 years left on his deal and de Gea with a year (who, if reports are correct, has wanted a new deal for over a year now).

While already briefing the press about targets we've yet to hire a DoF, something the club briefed the press about early this year, presumably to veer off the track of short-termism. But nothing's happened.

Unless Ole has a very clear and sensible picture of what he wants we're in a groundhog day reality with this club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Nothing adds up.
The Phelan story is from the Daily Mail's serial bullshitter Chris Wheeler, and Ole needing to delay targets story comes from the Metro, or otherwise known as my toilet roll.

The club should be in no rush to announce a technical director. We would still be looking for a permanent manager had it not been for the brilliant work of Ole. The candidates are within the club and the club should take as long as possible to make their choice.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How is he a disaster ? I get he got some of the transfers wrong but everybody gets something wrong always. I wouldn't mind him continuing if our needs are met. Ed is actually any manager's dream - majority of his signings are recommended by the manager. A DoF wont offer that and he will have his own way of doing things.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I'm all for the change I envision a technical director (long term vision) would bring. We can't carry on with the current approach, it would be like madness really, doing the same thing and expecting different results. I don't sense an urgency from the club to hire one though because you usually hire one before the manager. Hopefully Ole is malleable enough and we have one on the way.

arthurka

I fear for us.. These are tried and tested waters, cant for the life of me understand why the outcome should be different this time..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The Phelan story is from the Daily Mail's serial bullshitter Chris Wheeler, and Ole needing to delay targets story comes from the Metro, or otherwise known as my toilet roll.

The club should be in no rush to announce a technical director. We would still be looking for a permanent manager had it not been for the brilliant work of Ole. The candidates are within the club and the club should take as long as possible to make their choice.
I Can agree with the DM stuff.

I disagree on the second bit though. Not being in a rush doesn't imply delaying an announcement. If we knew who was our technical director he'd have been announced by now. If we still don't know who we want from within, there is no point hiring form within in the first place.