Ed Woodward's house attacked by 20-30 balaclava wearing "United fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersonson

I honestly didn’t know Ed is married. I read somewhere that he’s quite an awkward person and that he was single

Thats the length people are willing to go because of hatred towards someone else.. Telling lies about a person so other people will think he's more inept than they actually are.
Its nothing new and more and more people buy into such things because of social media.

There are people in here in genuinly thinks he did this himself....

romufc

Yeah I thought of that but I don’t think he’s short of a bob and can probably land a well paid job somewhere else
But he will have to actually perform and prove his worth.

Blatant hooligans, fans or not, and their behaviour reflects (very) badly on the club for which they so keenly demonstrate their fanaticism. Being kind, they're clearly straight out of the pond.

As mentioned by various others, all they've really achieved is reducing the pressure that was building on Woodward in the media.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
My other half said last night if that was us, she would be demanding I leave my job and choose between my work and my family. Wonder how the conversation went last night?

Pathetic way to handle it, just sing Woodward out all game every game and make it known on social media what a cretin he is. Physical Attacks on him and by the off chancehis family is unacceptable. How would we all react if that was our house and our kids. But still, wonder what Mrs W said to him last night?
She probably laughed it off and went to bed with a smile on her face since it was just a bit of fireworks. The kids probably thought it was really cool as well since they obviously will have no problem at all with a group of masked men coming to one of their houses a couple of days after hundreds of people have sang songs about how their father is going to die. We all know that this is one of those things that kids mostly shrug their shoulders at and never think about again.

So yeah, stop making such a big deal about it.

Ventura

Why not? If they are protesting in a non-violent fashion what's the problem? It's not illegal in most western democracies to gather and protest.

Anyway, I also suggested going down to London and protesting out front of his office there was a better option.
It's legal to protest, but it's definitely unacceptable and possibly illegal to stalk a man in his private home to protest work-related issues. Outside the office should be fine.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
But it wouldn't go away then, would it? History shows that trying to suppress things instead of having a debate aren't the solution. I haven't read anyone on here who said he was in favour of doing something like this. Some aren't surprised about the event, though.

For me having a protest -even in front of his house wouldn't be the end of the world but no violence. The guys who did more should be punished, you think anyone on here wouldn't want that?
Discussing the event and accepting a discussion on some retarded half baked conspiracy theory allows a level of buy-in.

I’m not trying to suppress debate. But equally, not all voices should be heard.

The guy is inept on a football level. Suggesting he’s concocted some elaborate plan to curry some sympathy.... it’s ridiculous. Setting fire to the breeding ground for these ideas is ok by me.

Even the amount of minutes you and I have spent on three posts is more air time than these dafty’s should be given.

A crime was committed. Let’s not let anyone suggest it’s justified in any way, shape or form.

Gasolin

I don't see how you can put fire on your own house just to get some "positive" views on yourself iand how think this is even remotely possible... it's not even debatable.
That's a messed up way of looking at things guys!

It is wrong to go put a fire on someone's house like that. In any circumstances.

wolvored

Blatant hooligans, fans or not, and their behaviour reflects (very) badly on the club for which they so keenly demonstrate their fanaticism. Being kind, they're clearly straight out of the pond.

As mentioned by various others, all they've really achieved is reducing the pressure that was building on Woodward in the media.
Yes he will get a little bit of sympathy for the next week or so. It was a stupid step to make along with singing wishing he was dead.

Gasolin

My other half said last night if that was us, she would be demanding I leave my job and choose between my work and my family. Wonder how the conversation went last night?

Pathetic way to handle it, just sing Woodward out all game every game and make it known on social media what a cretin he is. Physical Attacks on him and by the off chance his family is unacceptable. How would we all react if that was our house and our kids. But still, wonder what Mrs W said to him last night?
Every life partner would say the same thing, hell nothing is worth losing your safety over. Nothing.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
So, if you're a local Red you need to start giving a sh1t about the club and not just passively accept the mess that Woodward and co have made but don't sing anything too offensive in case you hurt his feelings. Also, blindly accept every bit of detail that the media feeds you about this incident (from the numbers involved to the extent of the damage caused) despite having doubted every previous piece of information that's come from the press, which was undoubtedly media spin.

Got it.

stretford_oslo

So, if you're a local Red you need to start giving a sh1t about the club and not just passively accept the mess that Woodward and co have made but don't sing anything too offensive in case you hurt his feelings. Also, blindly accept every bit of detail that the media feeds you about this incident (from the numbers involved to the extent of the damage caused) despite having doubted every previous piece of information that's come from the press, which was undoubtedly media spin.

Got it.
Were you there?

Gasolin

Got it.
Mate, you're free to sing whatever you want, but wouldn't it work the same for anything in the world?
Do you feel good singing something anti-Semitic, racist or xenophobic just because you can? Even more in a stadium for example?
Sure, you may be granted freedom, but I am sure you an agree that everything is not justifiable, right?

I don't really care about Ed W himself. Yeah if you want to sing he's to be hanged out, sure, go ahead.
I find that extremely weird to think that's OK, but as you said, that's your "freedom".

I am not saying we should restrict about everything, I think we need to find a balance and ideally, we would not need to because people would understand that.
And maybe that is a deeper discussion to have around what is actually allowed in the freedom we intend to have, whatever the topic.
But not everything should be allowed. I am not sure why this is debatable.

And there so many examples of why this is important... let's say a man wants to date a woman but get rejected and doesn't take that well.
Is he "free" to follow her and "force" her in your world? Or burn her house? Or take her life?
Is it "justified" if she is the CEO of Manchester United and she has somehow taken the blame for the current state of the club?
Is that the right way of thinking about this for you?

Is that house burning/attacking story all BS and all wrong? Alright, maybe.
However it is, I hope you can at least agree to say that those actions, when verified, should not be accepted and tolerated.

Josep Dowling

Their intent was clearly to instill fear or terror into Woodward and his family and I think people who do such things are hooligans.

So yeah terrorist hooligan is quite apt in my opinion.
To compare what those people did to terrorist is to the extreme. Whilst I don’t condone the behaviour they have gone up to a gate a chucked some flares over it, that’s a bit different to blowing yourself up.

LInkash

The way Gary Neville has put it is good. Better than 'oh no, why won't somebody think of the children!'

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Some will say he's excusing their behavior, but it's really just being matter-of-fact about it. Nobody is excusing it, but this was bound to happen regardless.

Eckers99

Mate, you're free to sing whatever you want, but wouldn't it work the same for anything in the world?
Do you feel good singing something anti-Semitic, racist or xenophobic just because you can? Even more in a stadium for example?
Sure, you may be granted freedom, but I am sure you an agree that everything is not justifiable, right?

I don't really care about Ed W himself. Yeah if you want to sing he's to be hanged out, sure, go ahead.
I find that extremely weird to think that's OK, but as you said, that's your "freedom".

I am not saying we should restrict about everything, I think we need to find a balance and ideally, we would not need to because people would understand that.
And maybe that is a deeper discussion to have around what is actually allowed in the freedom we intend to have, whatever the topic.
But not everything should be allowed. I am not sure why this is debatable.

And there so many examples of why this is important... let's say a man wants to date a woman but get rejected and doesn't take that well.
Is he "free" to follow her and "force" her in your world? Or burn her house? Or take her life?
Is it "justified" if she is the CEO of Manchester United and she has somehow taken the blame for the current state of the club?
Is that the right way of thinking about this for you?

Is that house burning/attacking story all BS and all wrong? Alright, maybe.
However it is, I hope you can at least agree to say that those actions, when verified, should not be accepted and tolerated.
No sane person would justify trying to burn down someone's house or show up and physically threaten someone. That's not my point at all.

The same applies to racist or bigoted chants - they're not acceptable at football and, thankfully, I've not heard them at OT (with the possible exception if that terrible Lukaku chant that, ironically, a fair few posters were untroubled by).

Outside of that, I've come to accept that going to a football match is not the same as walking down the street, so most other chants are fair game, and it's accepted as such by most match goers. especially in the case of the vile cretins who've taken so much from the club.

A chant has to be brief and to the point. It's not a nuanced talking point. It's not a statistical breakdown of dwindling net spend, it's 10 seconds to get your point across as bluntly as possible. Do I care if the board are offended by this? Not in the slightest. In fact I hope they are. Knowing the fans' depths of feeling might even shake them into action - which is the whole point. And they're probably smart enough to know that nobody is building an actual bonfire for them, it's just an extremely forceful adaptation of an older song.

And I don't know if you've been to any games but it's liberating to speak your mind among like-minded company. It's one thing routinely tearing into Woodward on a message board from a thousand miles away, but it's another thing entirely to protect that frustration at him, en masse and in person. And vocal abuse he gets is entirely justified in that context.

As for the media's representation of last night, I'd be massively sceptical about the accuracy of their reporting because a) Woodward needs a PR win from somewhere and b) it's the media. They either falsify or exaggerate to generate clicks. We all know this, so why anyone would readily accept their account of last night's events is beyond me.

As for the stuff you said about hounding a woman who rejected you - I have no clue how that's relevant to this conversation.

Last edited:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This thread is the best argument for why The Caf has become a really toxic place. Admins wake up or at least consider me buying the site. Needs cleaning.
I will chip in. Some absolutely awful posters on here.

Irrational.

Some really weird and thick people in this thread.

No matter what you think of Woodward in terms of football there is absolutely no reason for people in balaclavas to be turning up outside his home or one of his properties and causing distressing and violent behaviour, even if it is just a flare. People take football far too bloody seriously and forget about the personal boundaries outside of the football bubble. People labelling it as 'not disgusting' - have a word. Just because his family and he wasn't there, how were those responsible meant to know that? They didn't. They probably would have preferred he was there and it's about the principle. There could have been family including children within the property and the emotional damage of something like this happening because a couple of cnuty 'fans' aren't happy with the job their father is doing is very much 'disgusting'. They're lucky there was nobody in the property at the time otherwise this could have been a lot worse.

There is a correct way of directing anger and disdain of someone and this isn't it. Neither are chants calling for physical harm to a person.

I feel sorry a bit for Woodward. He's doing a job which is a high profile yet still normal job in the real world yet he's doing it in the football bubble so every little decision he makes is going to be scrutinised or analysed to an extreme level purely for the industry which he is in. He's clearly doing a poor job in regards to the fans opinion but in the eyes of his employers he is doing well hence why they are keeping him in that position. Is that wrong? I'm not sure as I don't read enough about internal affairs at United to do so but from an outside perspective I would be more unhappy with his employers than with Woodward himself as they seem to be quite content with him. He's also backed Ole in the summer with the Maguire, AWB and James moves along with the Fernandes move this January too so it's not like he has been particularly shy with the chequebook either despite many wanting to lambast him for the Haaland ordeal (but that's for another thread).

He also receives a ton of vitriol from the likes of Neville and Ferdinand each week. I don't mind criticism but I wouldn't be surprised if this adds a bit of extra fuel to the fire in terms of these fans that think they can get away with and do things like this.

In a wider perspective it once again is a reminder that inside the 'football bubble' your everyday person thinks that they can suddenly get away with and become absolute cretins and do something like this though and it's something the FA and PL need to try and tackle.
Perfectly summarised.

Sometimes people just want any excuse to behave like animals, and these people are often cnuts.

Anyone who agrees with what these so called 'fans' did or justifies their behaviour in any way are just as bad. Imagine people calling for you to die and attacking your property for doing your job. Whether he or his kids were close by or not is besides the point.

Absolutely despicable.

Gasolin

No sane person would justify trying to burn down someone's house or show up and physically threaten someone. That's not my point at all.

The same applies to racist or bigoted chants - they're not acceptable at football and, thankfully, I've not heard them at OT (with the possible exception if that terrible Lukaku chant that, ironically, a fair few posters were untroubled by).

Outside of that, I've come to accept that going to a football match is not the same as walking down the street, so most other chants are fair game, and it's accepted as such by most match goers. especially in the case of the vile cretins who've taken so much from the club.

A chant has to be brief and to the point. It's not a nuanced talking point. It's not a statistical breakdown of dwindling net spend, it's 10 seconds to get your point across as bluntly as possible. Do I care if the board are offended by this? Not in the slightest. In fact I hope they are. Knowing the fans' depths of feeling might even shake them into action - which is the whole point. And they're probably smart enough to know that nobody is building an actual bonfire for them, it's just an extremely forceful adaptation of an older song.

And I don't know if you've been to any games but it's liberating to speak your mind among like-minded company. It's one thing routinely tearing into Woodward on a message board from a thousand miles away, but it's another thing entirely to protect that frustration at him, en masse and in person. And vocal abuse he gets is entirely justified in that context.

As for the media's representation of last night, I'd be massively sceptical about the accuracy of their reporting because a) Woodward needs a PR win from somewhere and b) it's the media. They either falsify or exaggerate to generate clicks. We all know this, so why anyone would really accept their account of last night's events is beyond me.

As for the stuff you said about hounding a woman who rejected you - I have no clue how that's relevant to this conversation.
For the last part, I was just trying to imply that freedom is not all about what you want, there's also a component of living together, hence my point. Of course, it's not exactly relevant in any other context.

I get that you're skeptical about the accuracy of the reporting, however, if they were to be accurate, I can only hope you are not OK with those behaviors.

For your point about the chants, I think it's one of those things where I prefer to not go there no matter what but I can see why some would do. One of the reasons I wouldn't go there is because I think often, people tend to get worked up with those things, and when that happens, a tragedy is not far away. However, it's a football game and we've always been there to have some fun so yeah, it's a tough call there.

Eckers99

For the last part, I was just trying to imply that freedom is not all about what you want, there's also a component of living together, hence my point. Of course, it's not exactly relevant in any other context.

I get that you're skeptical about the accuracy of the reporting, however, if they were to be accurate, I can only hope you are not OK with those behaviors.

For your point about the chants, I think it's one of those things where I prefer to not go there no matter what but I can see why some would do. One of the reasons I wouldn't go there is because I think often, people tend to get worked up with those things, and when that happens, a tragedy is not far away. However, it's a football game and we've always been there to have some fun so yeah, it's a tough call there.
Football matches aren't like society, where everyone should be considering each other's feelings are they? It's 2 tribal groups who often hate each other and remember every slight and failure. You wouldn't expect United v Liverpool to reflect a happy, considerate society would you?

I was fairly explicit about my thoughts on going to his house to cause damage or harm the guy - it's absolutely not OK. Under any circumstances.
Apologises if that wasn't clear.

I'm talking about what is acceptable to say at a game and my general suspicion about how the media reports anything United related, including this.

And tragedy isn't really far away is it? Statistically football matches are very safe places and, once it's over, the passion subsides and you go back to reality. It's a pretty heightened atmosphere but there's hardly any genuine threat. It's just words, most of which are forgotten within half an hour of leaving the ground.

Gasolin

Football matches aren't like society, where everyone should be considering each other's feelings are they? It's 2 tribal groups who often hate each other and remember every slight and failure. You wouldn't expect United v Liverpool to reflect a happy, considerate society would you?

I was fairly explicit about my thoughts on going to his house to cause damage or harm the guy - it's absolutely not OK. Under any circumstances.
Apologises if that wasn't clear.

I'm talking about what is acceptable to say at a game and my general suspicion about how the media reports anything United related, including this.

And tragedy isn't really far away is it? Statistically football matches are very safe places and, once it's over, the passion subsides and you go back to reality. It's a pretty heightened atmosphere but there's hardly any genuine threat. It's just words, most of which are forgotten within half an hour of leaving the ground.
Yeah I join you on that, but it's until there's something that goes wrong *sigh*.
However, thank you for making the point clear and I think I agree with you.

Hester_manc

The 20-30 people who attacked Woodward's house are not fans, but just idiots. They probably thought they were doing an action that would benefit the club, but they did the exact opposite. They've hurt the club. I hope they are all found and imprisoned. When they have been 20-30 people, it is only a matter of time before one of them is bragging down at the pub after a beer too much, and they are then reported to the police. They are going to end in the prison where they belong.

Thank God, no one was at home.

Eckers99

Yeah I join you on that, but it's until there's something that goes wrong *sigh*.
However, thank you for making the point clear and I think I agree with you.
Yeah, you too. Cheers for your explaining your own POV so rationally.

Barnslig

I read this as a bit of a dig at Ed. "Everyone knows he's shit at what he does, doesn't give people the right to attack him". Comparing him to two other scenarios where someone has done shite at their jobs?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The way Gary Neville has put it is good. Better than 'oh no, why won't somebody think of the children!'
One is Neville explaining why it happened, the other is in reply to the muppets who say things like 'it's a nothing story' or 'having a flare thrown over your gate by a group of men wearing balaklavas is nothing to be upset about'. Two completely different things.

Acole9

Outstanding
This was a bad move from whoever decided this. Yes Woodward has a lot to answer for in terms of the way the club has been run but to go to his house and do that is just completely appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.