Ed Woodward's position - on top of the world?

Should Woodward be removed from his Role as CE of Manchester United?

• Yes - he should go

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • no - he deserves another chance.

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A number of people have been saying we have a great squad easily winning the Premiership last year. Those who believe that need to glance an eye at Bayern, Barcelona, Real and Juve. They have been spending despite their success of last season.

Someone needs to remind Woodward commercial partners are only going to sign lucrative deals if we give more importance to our football side.

Sultan

Worse than the fiasco over transfers we now have a couple of unsettled full backs in Evra and Buttner.

Spoony

The People's President
A number of people have been saying we have a great squad easily winning the Premiership last year. Those who believe that need to glance an eye at Bayern, Barcelona, Real and Juve. They have been spending despite their success of last season.

Someone needs to remind Woodward commercial partners are only going to sign lucrative deals if we give more importance to our football side.

I doubt any of those sides would've signed Fellaini and all.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

I think we do still have a great squad in context of the league, however in Europe we won't do much damage unless we're lucky.

One question I do have though: Is it necessarily beneficial to get Woodward at this moment in time, with Moyes only a few months into the job and the need for stability being of, what I would say, primary importance? Or is it better to get rid now and find someone we think capable of taking on the job long term to work with Moyes? My worry is if we (though more specifically the board/chairman et al) deem Woodward incapable of fulfilling his role to the required level, would we find a suitable replacement straight away and if not, would we end up chopping and changing our man (or woman) in this role? And what effect, if any, would that have on our dealings?

Sultan

My worry is if we (though more specifically the board/chairman et al) deem Woodward incapable of fulfilling his role to the required level, would we find a suitable replacement straight away and if not, would we end up chopping and changing our man (or woman) in this role? And what effect, if any, would that have on our dealings?
We could hardly do any worse.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well find some one who does and look at the youtube clip with him. You'll find he seems to suggest it happened weeks ago.
A German speaker in Uruguay? Yeah, that will be quick. Every single report from English and Spanish media outlets states the attempt was prior to the closing of the deadline.

Is it possible we first made contact a couple of weeks ago? Sure. What's the point though? That possibly signing Khedira for 40M was a good reason to delay the Fellaini bid and miss the release clause deadline? Seems it was rejected outright so we could have done with doing that basic check before blowing a deadline. I certainly wouldn't see the point of getting Khedira for that sort of money. In fact, ever Madrid fan reacted to the news saying they would drive him to Manchester themselves.

antohan

Worse than the fiasco over transfers we now have a couple of unsettled full backs in Evra and Buttner.
Nah, not Evra and I don't care much for Buttner. Fabio though... Moyes is keen on attacking fullbacks so why not work on him? I liked the stop-gap loan if he thought he was still raw but he will only ever grow into it with games, right?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think the only way to win the United fans over now is to sign himself up...

That's right. Introducing Woodward, No.9. Ed Woodwards position - it is now at Left Back!

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do you speak German?
Probably not, but I do.

I actually watched all scenes about Khedira in that press conference to make sure the clip was complete.

My question is now, where do you get the information about the time of the offer.

The only date (a few weeks ago) Khedira mentions is the one of a talk with Ancelotti, which resulted in Khedira believing that he would definitely play for Real in the next season. If the talk was in relation to an offer is completely unknown.

It is actually way more likely that this talk was a general one about his role and place in the team from Ancelotti´s perspective. These individual talks are a normality for new coaches, to really get to know the player. My reason for believing that is the fact, that Khedira calls it "the first good long talk".

He does however confirm, that an offer was rejected by Real. He does not explicitely say, that it was about 40 Mil € but it can be assumed, because Khedira does not correct the reporter. My reaction to that sum:

What the feck?

The thought that of all people Sami Khedira would become United´s record transfer is mind blowing. Don´t get me wrong, Khedira is a good and solid DM and had some decent seasons for Real (the national teal is a different matter), but he is nowhere near worth that. This is the same sum, which Bayern payed for Martinez (and they even admited over paying for him), who offers so much more as player, more than United was willing to pay for Fabregas and more than double than what Luiz Gustavo (who I see on a similar level and style) went for.

Has Woodward lost any touch to the transfer market? Maybe he never had one. If I were in the board of United, I would let him handle the sponsorship, which is something he seems to have actual knowledge of, and let someone different handle the transfers. Someone, who actually understands the workings of the market, because as far as bidding goes, he has made absolutely no sense this summer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

A consistant SAF behaviour over the years was to ALWAYS significantly strengthen his squad immediately after a season of success. Which begs the question, what has SAF been doing this past month. I get that he does not want to interrupt at all in Moyes early days, giving him space to find his feet but the transfer window is one part of the job that cant be left to 'learn as you go along'. Surely he cant be happy his legacy of 'the Manchester United way' is being jettisoned so soon by 2 inexperienced, albeit well meaning new senior execs.

The scatter gun approach of targeting essentially every top central midfielder in Europe suggests that we did not have a proper list of targets. What happened to the plans that would have been in place from SAF/Phelen? And why were SAF and Gill, both still very influential directors at the club not constantly on the phone coaching and advising Moyes/Ed Wood?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
No. But he needs to get his game up to speed, or hire someone competent, in settling transfers. He's obviously very good at handling commercial deals, but handling transfers is a totally different ball game. We're the big dogs when it comes to sponsorship deals as we're one of the best brands around and most companies would be lining up to sponsor us. Tranfers are another thing as most clubs with the necessary quality of players we want, would be unwilling to sell us players unless it's on their terms or we offer a ridiculous price. Very often the players and their agents are there to throw a spanner into the transfer dealings to complicate things even further.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I am wondering if the further departure of Maurice Watkins had also affected the transfer dealings? The legal snafu in Spain may have been anticipated if Watkins who is used to dealing with international contracts regularly.

Succession planning will be the cause of all these management learning curve/teething problems. So much for letting the new manager bring in his own team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I am wondering if the further departure of Maurice Watkins had also affected the transfer dealings? The legal snafu in Spain may have been anticipated if Watkins who is used to dealing with international contracts regularly.

Succession planning will be the cause of all these management learning curve/teething problems. So much for letting the new manager bring in his own team.

In the past 12 months the club has lost SAF, Gill, chief scout Martin Ferguson, Rene, Phelen and long time club solicitor Watkins. The collective smarts, experience and savvy of that group of people with regards to player scouting, football economics and transfer business etiquette is staggering.

When Moyes walked into the club, for one reason or another, it was all gone. And so he started his job heading immedialy into the transfer window with a completely new team that had never worked together.

It was always going to be the clusterfeck car crash that we eventually witnessed.

antohan

Probably not, but I do.

I actually watched all scenes about Khedira in that press conference to make sure the clip was complete.

My question is now, where do you get the information about the time of the offer.

The only date (a few weeks ago) Khedira mentions is the one of a talk with Ancelotti, which resulted in Khedira believing that he would definitely play for Real in the next season. If the talk was in relation to an offer is completely unknown.
Thanks. So everything I read was properly translated (which is the case more often than not). The offer was yesterday and the two weeks ago Rams keeps banging on about is just the sort of chat a player would have with his new manager.

I don't believe the 40M claim, it must have been Real trolling or maybe trying to get Everton to make up their minds quicker as Siqueira-Coentrao needed a Fellaini-Baines resolution.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ed Wood certainly wont have enjoyed today in the office. Any CEO of a football club has to be very worried when his name dominates the back pages of newspapers!

Im sure he will read every single report and squirm in his seat ... Poor man. Im sure he didn't do it on purpose and had the right intentions. But if he was in any doubt that his new sexy job in his new plush office would be a long ligging jaunt, Im sure he now knows he will have to earn his corn!

Makes one appreciate just how difficult Gills job was, especially in the months after the Glazer takeover, let alone regular mundane stuff like dealing with transfers. Poor Ed Wood still have the delights of stroppy agents during player contract discussions to look forward to, let alone the curveball that happens every once in a while like the Cantona kung fu kick or the Keane rant. Hope he really knows what kind of job he has signed up for!

antohan

Ed Wood certainly wont have enjoyed today in the office. Any CEO of a football club has to be very worried when his name dominates the back pages of newspapers!

Im sure he will read every single report and squirm in his seat ... Poor man. Im sure he didn't do it on purpose and had the right intentions.

But if he was in any doubt that his new sexy job in his new plush office would be a long ligging jaunt, Im sure he now knows he will have to earn his corn!

Makes one appreciate just how difficult Gills job was, especially in the months after the Glazer takeover, let alone regular mundane stuff like dealing with transfers. Poor Ed Wood still have the delights of stroppy agents during player contract discussions to look forward to, let alone the curveball that happens every once in a while like the Cantona Kung fun kick or the Keane rant. Hope he knows what job he has signed up for!
This. I never needed to give a moments' thought to what the hell his role description was at the club and what was or wasn't for him to do.

The only thing I could tell was that him manoeuvering his way around initially opposing the Glazers and then working for them had been to our benefit. He was effectively the corporate football man who could empathise with all sides and manage a delicate situation, thus acting as a buffer that let SAF get on with the football side of things. That was clear, you don't need role descriptions but some basic understanding of how boards and organisational behaviour work.

We don't seem to have anyone who understands the two sides of the coin now, just two blokes who mostly understand one side and have found themselves in bigger jobs than they've done before. Funny but I reckon Eddy needs to knock on other people's doors for help and learning more than Moyes does, and for our sake he better start doing it pronto. I never felt we would feck up this transition on the pitch, it was the off the pitch side of things I was worried about, and that was even before this Summer :annoyed:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Nah. Shocking summer for sure, but he'll learn from it.

He tried to sign us top players.. he refused to be bullied into paying stupid amounts.

Sure he definitely needs to get to grips with the current market state, and handle things differently, but the intentions were good and I'm sure he will improve.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Man United's biggest blunder is the harm done to Moyes by his novice sidekick
By MARTIN SAMUEL
PUBLISHED: 23:14, 3 September 2013

It was around 10.50pm on Monday when Everton finally accepted a bid of £27.5million for Marouane Fellaini. About five minutes later than their chairman, Bill Kenwright, predicted. All day, Everton had braced themselves for the inevitable, particularly after Fellaini had told manager Roberto Martinez, face to face, that he wanted to leave. Even so, it was tight, particularly after one final aberration in the paperwork.

A year ago, similar last-day pandemonium at other clubs had inspired a waspish remark by former Manchester United captain Gary Neville. ‘What the transfer deadline gives you is a clear indication of the badly run football clubs,’ he tweeted. How very true.

Manchester United are not badly run in a commercial sense. In fact, they are the envy of the rest of the Premier League, if not Europe. Yet the football has been badly run this summer. Not since the film The Wicker Man has a chap by the name of Edward Woodward looked so out of his depth; except this was no act.

Woodward, the new Manchester United chief executive, has had his own excruciating baptism of fire. He ended up paying £27.5m on September 2 for a player who would have cost £23.5m on July 31, and might have got the goals United have so plainly needed in their last two matches.

Everton are the first to admit that no canny game of brinkmanship had been played. Fellaini had a buy-out clause that expired on August 1 and had United met the price before that date, there was nothing to do but sell.

Once that moment passed, however, a premium for late business would have to be paid. Now Everton could say no, unless Manchester United met their valuation, reasonable or not. It was this that Woodward failed to comprehend.

A star in the world of commerce, he had a problem with the basic economics of supply and demand. United continued bidding £23.5m and at one stage are believed to have also offered to waive Everton’s outstanding payment on Darron Gibson, a sum in the region of £200,000, as if this would sweeten the pill.

Woodward’s background is the marketplace, but there is a big difference between hammering out a deal with Aeroflot and bringing Everton to the table. Aeroflot want to deal; Everton do not. Leighton Baines angled to join Manchester United, too. The transfer did not happen. Sensing that Baines had deeper feelings for his current club than Fellaini — and that Martinez saw him as more important to the team — Everton stood firm.

So while United scrambled around at, literally, the 11th hour, deals elsewhere went west. They tried to play hard ball over Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao and were rejected, while Fabio Coentrao of Real Madrid thought he was going to Old Trafford on loan only for the move to fall apart at the last. Arsenal had been cast as the mugs of the summer, but Manchester United contrived to snatch that defeat from the jaws of mediocrity.

Until Monday it had merely been an unimpressive performance from United yet, somehow, in buying Fellaini at a £4m surplus amid chaos, they looked even worse. It should, and could, have been done months ago. Inescapably, there is the feeling that with David Gill and Sir Alex Ferguson in charge, it would have been.

Ferguson had some hair-raising final hours in the transfer market, it must be said, but few were of his own making. The desire of Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, to squeeze every last drop from Dimitar Berbatov’s transfer in 2008 made it tight, but Michael Carrick’s move from the same club two years earlier is a better indication of the United way.

The first offer was announced on June 10 and loudly rejected, but the transfer was still completed by July 28. Even Robin van Persie’s complex extraction from Arsenal last year took place more than two weeks before the window closed.

Gill was not by nature a wheeler-dealer — he was an accountant — but he would have known enough to get Fellaini through the door before August 1 and not to insult Everton with under-valued, parcelled-up offers for Fellaini and Baines, either. United are swift to act, usually. Hours after the title was lost to Manchester City in 2012, Ferguson asked Harry Redknapp of Tottenham to name his price for Luka Modric.

The wider issue is the damage done to Moyes by his novice sidekick. Here was a manager succeeding Ferguson and in need of a transfer market statement. Instead, Woodward allowed him to be publicly rejected by Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas, then made matters worse by self-importantly heading off from the pre-season tour of Australia to conduct urgent transfer business, only for the club to announce signings involving Bulova, Apollo and Pepsico — unfortunately not a trio of tricky Brazilians but the manufacturers of watches, tyres, soft drinks and snacks.

This is the world in which Woodward is most comfortable. His ability to generate funds has been described as little short of astonishing. Sadly, an ally who knows his way around the world of Taiwanese tyre manufacture — Federal Corporation are another of United’s new signings — is not what Moyes needs right now.

Manchester United’s ever-expanding list of commercial collaborators may be proof of a well-run business but Moyes must hope his latest partner is as quick a learner when it comes to marshalling a football club.

If the team doesn’t function, in time, it becomes as hard to attract the Bulovas as the Herreras.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Woodward-transfer-blunder.html#ixzz2dtC1roe4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Man United's biggest blunder is the harm done to Moyes by his novice sidekick
By MARTIN SAMUEL
PUBLISHED: 23:14, 3 September 2013

It was around 10.50pm on Monday when Everton finally accepted a bid of £27.5million for Marouane Fellaini. About five minutes later than their chairman, Bill Kenwright, predicted. All day, Everton had braced themselves for the inevitable, particularly after Fellaini had told manager Roberto Martinez, face to face, that he wanted to leave. Even so, it was tight, particularly after one final aberration in the paperwork.

A year ago, similar last-day pandemonium at other clubs had inspired a waspish remark by former Manchester United captain Gary Neville. ‘What the transfer deadline gives you is a clear indication of the badly run football clubs,’ he tweeted. How very true.

Manchester United are not badly run in a commercial sense. In fact, they are the envy of the rest of the Premier League, if not Europe. Yet the football has been badly run this summer. Not since the film The Wicker Man has a chap by the name of Edward Woodward looked so out of his depth; except this was no act.

Woodward, the new Manchester United chief executive, has had his own excruciating baptism of fire. He ended up paying £27.5m on September 2 for a player who would have cost £23.5m on July 31, and might have got the goals United have so plainly needed in their last two matches.

Everton are the first to admit that no canny game of brinkmanship had been played. Fellaini had a buy-out clause that expired on August 1 and had United met the price before that date, there was nothing to do but sell.

Once that moment passed, however, a premium for late business would have to be paid. Now Everton could say no, unless Manchester United met their valuation, reasonable or not. It was this that Woodward failed to comprehend.

A star in the world of commerce, he had a problem with the basic economics of supply and demand. United continued bidding £23.5m and at one stage are believed to have also offered to waive Everton’s outstanding payment on Darron Gibson, a sum in the region of £200,000, as if this would sweeten the pill.

Woodward’s background is the marketplace, but there is a big difference between hammering out a deal with Aeroflot and bringing Everton to the table. Aeroflot want to deal; Everton do not. Leighton Baines angled to join Manchester United, too. The transfer did not happen. Sensing that Baines had deeper feelings for his current club than Fellaini — and that Martinez saw him as more important to the team — Everton stood firm.

So while United scrambled around at, literally, the 11th hour, deals elsewhere went west. They tried to play hard ball over Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao and were rejected, while Fabio Coentrao of Real Madrid thought he was going to Old Trafford on loan only for the move to fall apart at the last. Arsenal had been cast as the mugs of the summer, but Manchester United contrived to snatch that defeat from the jaws of mediocrity.

Until Monday it had merely been an unimpressive performance from United yet, somehow, in buying Fellaini at a £4m surplus amid chaos, they looked even worse. It should, and could, have been done months ago. Inescapably, there is the feeling that with David Gill and Sir Alex Ferguson in charge, it would have been.

Ferguson had some hair-raising final hours in the transfer market, it must be said, but few were of his own making. The desire of Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, to squeeze every last drop from Dimitar Berbatov’s transfer in 2008 made it tight, but Michael Carrick’s move from the same club two years earlier is a better indication of the United way.

The first offer was announced on June 10 and loudly rejected, but the transfer was still completed by July 28. Even Robin van Persie’s complex extraction from Arsenal last year took place more than two weeks before the window closed.

Gill was not by nature a wheeler-dealer — he was an accountant — but he would have known enough to get Fellaini through the door before August 1 and not to insult Everton with under-valued, parcelled-up offers for Fellaini and Baines, either. United are swift to act, usually. Hours after the title was lost to Manchester City in 2012, Ferguson asked Harry Redknapp of Tottenham to name his price for Luka Modric.

The wider issue is the damage done to Moyes by his novice sidekick. Here was a manager succeeding Ferguson and in need of a transfer market statement. Instead, Woodward allowed him to be publicly rejected by Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas, then made matters worse by self-importantly heading off from the pre-season tour of Australia to conduct urgent transfer business, only for the club to announce signings involving Bulova, Apollo and Pepsico — unfortunately not a trio of tricky Brazilians but the manufacturers of watches, tyres, soft drinks and snacks.

This is the world in which Woodward is most comfortable. His ability to generate funds has been described as little short of astonishing. Sadly, an ally who knows his way around the world of Taiwanese tyre manufacture — Federal Corporation are another of United’s new signings — is not what Moyes needs right now.

Manchester United’s ever-expanding list of commercial collaborators may be proof of a well-run business but Moyes must hope his latest partner is as quick a learner when it comes to marshalling a football club.

If the team doesn’t function, in time, it becomes as hard to attract the Bulovas as the Herreras.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Woodward-transfer-blunder.html#ixzz2dtC1roe4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Don't care so much about Buttner, as I can't see him being around for to much longer anyway. I'd be more worried about fabio than either of the other LB

Phil

Seems one giant clusterfeck of mismanagement.

He'll definitely stay, but obviously shouldn't.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
There's no need for a knee-jerk reaction in sacking Woodward or shifting him outta the role just yet. Gill obviously had a massive input into who got his job, so Woodward must have the qualities to fulfil his duties, otherwise he wouldn't be in the job. That's the hope anyway!

I think the problem we all have, is we've been spoiled over many years with fantastic benchmark management of the club, but these high standards set can slide very quickly & my worry is that the new people coming into their roles haven't a feckin clue what they're doin & that there's possibly some in-fighting going on in the background with folk eying up each others jobs etc. It happens in every business environment, where folk see possibilities that never existed before, due to the longevity & stableness of that working environment.

All that's changed now & maybe Woodward doesn't carry any kudos with all the staff below him. Maybe many see him as just a chancer salesman, but a highly successful one. Its one thing to be an international brand salesman & another to run an organisation with diplomacy & humility. From what I've seen & read on Woodward - he's gone about making himself noticed (as the new face of the United brand) & needs to calm the feck down with this "new Sheriff in town" crap because it wreaks of - "how the feck did I wing this job.." mentality.

In a nutshell, up to this point - Woodward is United's equivalent of Joe Kinnear. No elaboration needed!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."

Im sure he will read every single report and squirm in his seat ... Poor man. Im sure he didn't do it on purpose and had the right intentions. But if he was in any doubt that his new sexy job in his new plush office would be a long ligging jaunt, Im sure he now knows he will have to earn his corn!

Makes one appreciate just how difficult Gills job was, especially in the months after the Glazer takeover, let alone regular mundane stuff like dealing with transfers. Poor Ed Wood still have the delights of stroppy agents during player contract discussions to look forward to, let alone the curveball that happens every once in a while like the Cantona kung fu kick or the Keane rant. Hope he really knows what kind of job he has signed up for!
More importantly man, i hope the Glazers really know what kind of person they've entrusted to run the club & carry-on Gills superb work..

Gill & Fergie were on the same hymn page when it came to running the club when the Glazers came in & that gave me confidence that the club will be run with much of the fans best interests at heart. Now both are gone from their roles - will Woodward & Moyesy be the yes-men the Glazers possibly want, because most certainly (and understandably) - those two are a 2nd tier Fergie-Gill partnership at the moment!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
'anger and frustration'?

I thought the only legit emotions at OT nowadays are 'anger and confusion'!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its not the best situation however we can recover from it if we finally decide to plan ahead. January is not far away and we've been blessed with an easy CL group. This team can easily hold the fort till January. However deals must be made now so we wont end up panicking again. Both Baines and Herrera are not cup-tied with the former wanting to leave and the latter having a minimum clause that makes things easier. Baines should settle down immediately having played in the EPL and with Moyes for years. Herrera may need more time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Quite!

I wonder how he'll cope with contract renewals. He is very much a Glazerite having helped the family leverage the club purchase, and I doubt he will be moved onto another position.
That's very worrying if true. Till fergie was around, they never interfered in the football matters. And that was their one redeeming feature. If woody is a glazer man, then apart from showing his incompetence this summer, I'm not sure he's the right fit for CEO anyway. I know the club is owned by them and the CEO is their employee but I think it's always better to have a football person who isn't their pal. Given their ways, I fear he'll too often be concerned with saving a few bucks for his bestest owners rather than giving the manager what he wants.

I don't know, this whole thing reeks of a guy who simply isn't enough of a football person. Sure, he could get better at it, but looking at it from all angles, I'd rather it not be someone who is pretty much a glazier assoicates and not someone who has no experience on the football side of things.