Eddie Howe

Robbie Boy

What's happening with him exactly? From being touted as Wengers replacement and receiving widespread adulation (well deserved) from pretty much everyone, to having Bournemouth looking a-bit of a shambles this season.

Only Swansea have conceded more than they have in the league and I think there was a stat that they have conceded 3 or more goals on 11 occasions this season. Howe is clearly a good attack minded manager but feck me, he doesn't seem to have any idea how to organise a defence. Even when they went 3 up against Arsenal, you felt that Arsenal would get back into it. Against Everton at the weekend, they were absolutely atrocious and only woke up in the half hour and actually played some good stuff after that, but I mean, they conceded 6 goals!

JoaquinJoaquin

I think with a team like Bournemouth you are never going to have consistency unfortunately, regardless of who the manager is. I think for his own sake and reputation he should look to take a 'higher' job at the next available opportunity.

Robbie Boy

I think with a team like Bournemouth you are never going to have consistency unfortunately, regardless of who the manager is. I think for his own sake and reputation he should look to take a 'higher' job at the next available opportunity.
That's a fair point but I was more getting at their propensity to completely self-destruct and look like they have absolutely no idea how to defend. I mean Sunderland who are rock bottom of the league have conceded 5 fewer goals. He is starting to look a-bit like Martinez in that, he can set his team up to play some nice football and when it works, it looks good, but he is also completely neglecting any defensive responsibility.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a very good manager at a limited team. If I'm not mistaken he has no real budget to work with and is constrained quite heavily. Their form seemed to turn after Ake was recalled, who was vital to their play.

Seemed like he wanted to buy in January but the club couldn't get much done. I think him, Silva and Clement are the ones to watch out for in the premiership.

Robbie Boy

He's a very good manager at a limited team. If I'm not mistaken he has no real budget to work with and is constrained quite heavily. Their form seemed to turn after Ake was recalled, who was vital to their play.

Seemed like he wanted to buy in January but the club couldn't get much done. I think him, Silva and Clement are the ones to watch out for in the premiership.
Silva has completely resurrected Hull from the dead after Phelan had failed there. He looks a very promising young manager and has done well wherever he has managed. I really like the look of him and he seems extremely likeable.

Smudge

They have spent £70m in the past two seasons and for a club like Bournemouth that is a serious amount.

Still a decent manager but it is not like he has to work with Burnley or Sunderland levels of Budget

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Silva has completely resurrected Hull from the dead after Phelan had failed there. He looks a very promising young manager and has done well wherever he has managed. I really like the look of him and he seems extremely likeable.
Silva is very good and I agree seems likeable too. I actually had a vested interest in seeing him do well after I saw those quartet of twats on skysports saying how they wanted to see an English manager take the Hull job.

They were completely oblivious that Silva had won a cup at Sporting and the league at Olympiakos. Did you know Silva was sacked at Sporting because he didn't wear the club suit on a match day? :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They have spent £70m in the past two seasons and for a club like Bournemouth that is a serious amount.

Still a decent manager but it is not like he has to work with Burnley or Sunderland levels of Budget
Have you got the links for their net spend? I'd like to see it compared to the other promoted clubs because after entering the premier league, every team goes into a spending spree.

EDIT - found it. They actually have a lower net spend than Burnley, Middlesbrough or Sunderland. -15.4mm for this season.

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=460923

Robbie Boy

Silva is very good and I agree seems likeable too. I actually had a vested interest in seeing him do well after I saw those quartet of twats on skysports saying how they wanted to see an English manager take the Hull job.

They were completely oblivious that Silva had won a cup at Sporting and the league at Olympiakos. Did you know Silva was sacked at Sporting because he didn't wear the club suit on a match day? :lol:
Ah yeah the good ouel xenophobia at Sky Sports is always as prevalent as ever. I mean, Silva must be completely shit as the lads hadn't heard of him and poor Phelan was doing the best he could and didn't deserve the sack. Bloody foreign managers taking all the jobs!

Re the bolded part: What the feck?

GazTheLegend

Over hyped English manager by a media DESPERATE for a successful boss born in this country, basically.

Bournemouth are a good side and Eddie Howe has done a good job but he's nothing special. He needs to take an opportunity at a bigger club and prove something first. Managers and players need to WIN things and Ranieri proved that it's far from impossible with any side. What if Howe had won the league?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah yeah the good ouel xenophobia at Sky Sports is always as prevalent as ever. I mean, Silva must be completely shit as the lads hadn't heard of him and poor Phelan was doing the best he could and didn't deserve the sack. Bloody foreign managers taking all the jobs!

Re the bolded part: What the feck?
@Sly Do you happen to remember this, mate? What was the official version?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/04/hull-city-marco-silva-target-mike-phelan-manager

"Despite winning the Portuguese Cup with Sporting in 2015, he was sacked shortly afterwards, apparently for failing to wear the club suit in the technical area."

Would be interesting to hear more info from @Sly

Robbie Boy

Robbie Boy

Over hyped English manager by a media DESPERATE for a successful boss born in this country, basically.

Bournemouth are a good side and Eddie Howe has done a good job but he's nothing special. He needs to take an opportunity at a bigger club and prove something first. Managers and players need to WIN things and Ranieri proved that it's far from impossible with any side. What if Howe had won the league?
I'm starting to think he's just another overrated English manager alright. I mean he has done a wonderful job at Bournemouth but the way the media were carrying on last season, you would swear he was ready to waltz into a top job. He still has a-lot to learn, by the looks of things.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

He needs to prove something first.
When he took over Bournemouth, they were in genuine danger of falling out the football league.

They're now comfortably in the premiership.
If you're judging him on Leicester winning the prem then few managers will impress you.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Sly Do you happen to remember this, mate? What was the official version?
Long story and it was a part of a power struggle between the president and Marco Silva. That reason is highlighted alot but there were other reasons when he was under disciplinary action. Mainly his connection with his agent and trying to pull an agenda influenced by him. The club and Marco Silva ended settling and he went to Olympiakos and our President got his wish by hiring Jorge Jesus. I think Marco Silva has alot of potencial to become an interesting manager. I'm curious to see if he can pull the Hull miracle. If he does, i think he will get offers from better clubs. Coming to Hull was a gamble but so far so good.

m1y2

the competition in the league is huge, you will have run of good games, and be climbing in the table and then you'll be dropping points next few weeks, they look pretty settled in the middle of the table, staying in the premier league is always a good achievement for them even though the standards get higher, outside of top6 there;s Everton, Southampton, WHU who have all better teams and the likes of Watford, Stoke about the same quality and will always be in the mix, also Leicester won the league just last year. He might wanna invest into defence next few windows though or leave for a bigger club

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I like him a lot, but he seems very naive. He seems to always want to play pretty, attacking and expansive football, but he also needs to know when to reel it in, hold on to a lead and shut up shop. He has to learn how to grind it out, especially away from home. Of course his side are limited, but sometimes you've just got to park it make the opposition work even harder. They never do that. The lead they blew against Arsenal was ridiculous. They should have held that, but they kept trying to go forwards, play out from the back and be expansive. On Saturday, they made it easy for Everton. They tried to play like the home team in a game where they would have control, but they were away to Everton, and they got torn open with ease.

Brophs

The One and Only
Is he actually that good? Obviously he's done a good job there, but tactically they look ropey and the way he spends money is borderline negligent. Afobe, Gradel, Grabban, Tomlin, Murray all came in for big money and have contributed next to nothing. A lot of them (Ibe, Cook, Mousset, Smith) are young, tbf, but he's not getting a tune out of them at all and they weren't cheap. Early days for him obviously but the hype has been daft. There's obviously promise there but he's also been backed by decent money.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he's any good at all. The media seems hellbent on making him so, but he's shite. I'd rate Dyche over him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Monk syndrome

definition; young, English, great white hope of sleeping giant football nation. Usually over-hyped due to nationality and horror at seeing foreigners managing all the 'big' teams. Normal to run out of steam after 2 seasons, sacked by club and have to rebuild reputation again.

drdoityourself

He's spent a lot of money since being promoted but arguably only the loans of Wilshire and Ake have been successful. So after 3 transfer windows they haven't really improved much.The worst part is the faith he's had in the centre backs that played with him in the Championship. Simon Francis and Steve Cook seem to give away a goal every game with a horrendous mistake but they are yet to be replaced.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don't think he's any good at all. The media seems hellbent on making him so, but he's shite. I'd rate Dyche over him.
The Monk syndrome

definition; young, English, great white hope of sleeping giant football nation. Usually over-hyped due to nationality and horror at seeing foreigners managing all the 'big' teams. Normal to run out of steam after 2 seasons, sacked by club and have to rebuild reputation again.
I just don't understand, he's taken a club from the brink of relegation from league 2, to a settled premier league side.
That's a massive achievement, no one is saying he's the best manager in the world, but he's certainly a good manager.

Smudge

Have you got the links for their net spend? I'd like to see it compared to the other promoted clubs because after entering the premier league, every team goes into a spending spree.

EDIT - found it. They actually have a lower net spend than Burnley, Middlesbrough or Sunderland. -15.4mm for this season.

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=460923
Net spend may be low but they have still spent a lot and as some posters have mentioned above he has not spent wisely.

I do like his style of play but they need a bit of steel to improve their away form

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Rate the bloke really highly, he should've got the England job.

It's a difficult one with Bournemouth, what he's done in his time there is pretty astonishing. But despite his success there I've always felt hes more suited to a larger club, some managers like big Sam can set up their teams to play defensively and squeeze out results, Eddie Howe on the other hand wants his teams to play football. When smaller teams play like this they are always vulnerable to a hammering.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He needs to prove something first.
When he took over Bournemouth, they were in genuine danger of falling out the football league.

They're now comfortably in the premiership.
If you're judging him on Leicester winning the prem then few managers will impress you.
This. If an opening for a clubs even with slightly more flexible budgets were to become available it would be perfect for him.
Net spend may be low but they have still spent a lot and as some posters have mentioned above he has not spent wisely.

I do like his style of play but they need a bit of steel to improve their away form
Net spend is a better indicator than gross spend, and he really hasn't spent a lot. The transfer choices are difficult for us to judge too, as it may well be the case that he wanted similar targets to rival clubs and missed out from wage budget restrictions and so on. I thought Ake and Wilshire were good pieces of business and he's unfortunate to lose Wilson to two long term injuries and have Ake recalled.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has taken Bournemouth from mid-table of League Two to Premier League and they are a solid PL team now too. Obviously he is a very talented manager.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For some reason that Silva guy has a very Poch style vibe to him. Howe's a decent manager but you can only judge him once he is at a bigger club than Bournemouth.

ti vu

He has taken Bournemouth from mid-table of League Two to Premier League and they are a solid PL team now too. Obviously he is a very talented manager.
This part would be challenged if they continue with the way they are while Hull and Swansea picked up their form. Haven't won a game since New Year.

Talented - yes. Longevity (in PL) - yet to prove.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he gets an easy ride, as he's spent a fair wack of money on some absolute garbage and Bournemouth only seem to play well for half a season (would fit right in at Arsenal then) and then sink towards the relegation zone. He definitely has some talent though and can get teams to play attractive football.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I think he gets an easy ride, as he's spent a fair wack of money on some absolute garbage and Bournemouth only seem to play well for half a season (would fit right in at Arsenal then) and then sink towards the relegation zone. He definitely has some talent though and can get teams to play attractive football.
I agree with everything.

I believe I've criticised their transfer policy every single window since they got promoted. It's not the usual "wasn't a good idea, in hindsight", either. They seem to make a few very obviously pointless transfers every time, instead of addressing their bigger problems which remain pretty much the same every season.

R'hllor

Media over hype him because he is different then other English managers,in reality he isnt better then them today. At this very moment passing football is marked as "proper" way of playing, you have one English manager trying to make his team play that way,there for media trying to make like he is a chosen one,one and only among millions of English managers. Same way how they see John Stones as one and only ball playing CB in whole country,calling him special talent when at the moment he sux donkey balls.

Also praise for him regarding promotion is also over the top,Watford lost championship title in 93rd minute or so. All acted like Bournemouth paid their players in candy bars,no one mentioned that Russian bankrolling them from the shadow,who if its to believe to few people is worse scum then Roman.

In short Eddie Howe is John Stones among English managers. He might turn to be world class at the end but for someone who`s team is conceding left right and center every season,hype is just way to much.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree with everything.

I believe I've criticised their transfer policy every single window since they got promoted. It's not the usual "wasn't a good idea, in hindsight", either. They seem to make a few very obviously pointless transfers every time, instead of addressing their bigger problems which remain pretty much the same every season.
Yeah, I mean he was unlucky Mings' injury, but he grossly over paid for him. He spent 16m for both Gradel and Grabban (who is just awful), 15m on Ibe, and 11 mil on Cook and Mousset, who've mustered 3 appearances between them!

We constantly deride Sunderland for the toilet they bring in, I guess they stupidly get them on huge wages as well, but there seems to be a bit of double standards because they sometimes play good football.

He was also unlucky with the Ake situation, but I just feel like the love in with them is totally unjustified and he makes equally bad decisions as good ones. No where near ready to even move on to a better/bigger job IMO.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Media over hype him because he is different then other English managers,in reality he isnt better then them today. At this very moment passing football is marked as "proper" way of playing, you have one English manager trying to make his team play that way,there for media trying to make like he is a chosen one,one and only among millions of English managers. Same way how they see John Stones as one and only ball playing CB in whole country,calling him special talent when at the moment he sux donkey balls.

Also praise for him regarding promotion is also over the top,Watford lost championship title in 93rd minute or so. All acted like Bournemouth paid their players in candy bars,no one mentioned that Russian bankrolling them from the shadow,who if its to believe to few people is worse scum then Roman.

In short Eddie Howe is John Stones among English managers. He might turn to be world class at the end but for someone who`s team is conceding left right and center every season,hype is just way to much.
:lol: so true.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Has much really changed with him? It's not as if he finished upper mid-table last season, and recently they've hit a fairly poor run of form which has knocked them down from mid-table to 14th...a position they'll probably stay in barring inspired form from any of the sides below them.

They're dreadful defensively but compensate by being good in attack...they've only scored one goal less than us this season, which has helped them get some results. I'd imagine it's frustrating for fans like when they were 3-0 up against Arsenal, but I'd argue conceding lots and scoring lots, while finishing lower mid-table, is more exciting than conceding few goals but producing really dull games as a result.

Skills

Snitch
Needs a good assistant manager, who he can help him with his defense. There's nothing wrong with not being great at both ends of the pitch as a young manager, he just needs to now find a way to address it before it becomes a bigger issue.