Music Eddie Van Halen has died

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
feck. Sake.

My personal g.o.a.t. He rivals Jimmi in creativity, but what he did in the early days to manipulate the guitar itself without affording pedals...just absolutely a master.

This is a huge loss.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
feck. My guitar teacher is gonna be depressed.

Legendary player who was a real innovator as well. A real loss for music. :(

Just listen to this tone. fecking incredible.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Invented what many people think of as rock guitar playing. Totally unique. RIP.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's a shame that he actually believed this, though:

Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago.
I believe the medical community unanimously agrees that hroat cancers are due to heavy drinking and smoking. My father had laryngeal cancer a couple of years ago and his doctors told him the same (he was in the army for a number of years and spent most of the time drinking and smoking).

Brophs

The One and Only
At least he died doing what he loved: standing by the side of the road asking vans to stop.

OrcaFat

My favourite guitarist and leader of my favourite band. A truly sad day.

Red Stone

With the uprising of rock in the 60's the guitar, with Jimi at the forefront, became the instrument you had to play if you wanted to be a rock god. You didn't have to be a part of the backing band any more. You could be loud, wild and make noise to your heart's desire, to the point where guitar solos became expected in every rock song. Most importantly, there was no rulebook as long as the sounds meant something.

Less than 10 years after the first pioneer of rock guitar passed Eddie released arguably the greatest guitar instrumental ever recorded. There are few watershed moments in guitar playing that rival the release of Van Halen in '78. Hearing Eruption for the first time still blows peoples' minds to this day. It's hard to comprehend just how big that quantum leap was for guitar players. With the release of one instrumental less than two minutes long the game was changed forever, and every guitar hero that came after had to emulate Eddie's speed and technique to be relevant. You can listen to pretty much any metal guitar solo from 1980 until the present day and most of what you hear will in some way be connected to what Eddie started with Van Halen's debut record.

His beginnings make it even more impressive, but in a way also completely understandable, that he got so good. His famous Frankenstrat guitar was banged together using bits and pieces scavenged from various music shops and guitar manufacturers. The body wasn't even going to be used initially because of knots in the wood. With a makeshift guitar and no money for extra gear he developed a style and sound that was so utterly groundbreaking. Eddie Van Halen is the result of a combination of obsession, dedication, creativity and talent that comes along once in a lifetime.

As a guitar player myself it's hard to put into words how much I respect and appreciate what done for both the instrument and rock and metal in general. Even beyond his own music, a huge portion of the other bands I listen to owe their existence to Van Halen's influence. He was the greatest guitar player and innovator on the planet by a huge margin when he was still alive, and in my opinion second only to Jimi in the all-time hierarchy of guitar greatness. This one hits hard.

RIP to a legend.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
With the uprising of rock in the 60's the guitar, with Jimi at the forefront, became the instrument you had to play if you wanted to be a rock god. You didn't have to be a part of the backing band any more. You could be loud, wild and make noise to your heart's desire, to the point where guitar solos became expected in every rock song. Most importantly, there was no rulebook as long as the sounds meant something.

Less than 10 years after the first pioneer of rock guitar passed Eddie released arguably the greatest guitar instrumental ever recorded. There are few watershed moments in guitar playing that rival the release of Van Halen in '78. Hearing Eruption for the first time still blows peoples' minds to this day. It's hard to comprehend just how big that quantum leap was for guitar players. With the release of one instrumental less than two minutes long the game was changed forever, and every guitar hero that came after had to emulate Eddie's speed and technique to be relevant. You can listen to pretty much any metal guitar solo from 1980 until the present day and most of what you hear will in some way be connected to what Eddie started with Van Halen's debut record.

His beginnings make it even more impressive, but in a way also completely understandable, that he got so good. His famous Frankenstrat guitar was banged together using bits and pieces scavenged from various music shops and guitar manufacturers. The body wasn't even going to be used initially because of knots in the wood. With a makeshift guitar and no money for extra gear he developed a style and sound that was so utterly groundbreaking. Eddie Van Halen is the result of a combination of obsession, dedication, creativity and talent that comes along once in a lifetime.

As a guitar player myself it's hard to put into words how much I respect and appreciate what done for both the instrument and rock and metal in general. Even beyond his own music, a huge portion of the other bands I listen to owe their existence to Van Halen's influence. He was the greatest guitar player and innovator on the planet by a huge margin when he was still alive, and in my opinion second only to Jimi in the all-time hierarchy of guitar greatness. This one hits hard.

RIP to a legend.
Great Post.

I'd have him at the top of the tree, not only was he up to the creative standard of the likes of Hendrix, not only did he inspire and change the way guitar was played like Jimmi, not only was he doing it well into his 60's, but the effortless joy on his face and the ease of his craft. An absolute master.

Whichever your preference, it's hard to see another in that tier of true greatness in our lifetimes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

RIP to a legend.
Great tribute.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
RIP, but sadly not surprising, he didn't really look after himself even after tongue cancer in the early 2000s.

He was a master though. And not just his playing, but the tone. The 'brown sound' and how he achieved it was unheard of at the time. Running an uneven bias on the power tubes, lowering the voltage, using a dummy resistor between the amp and cab, all makeshift tricks which had a huge knock-on effect and changed the way amps were made to do all of that in a non-dangerous way. His signature 5150 amps became commonplace in heavy metal, punk and hardcore. When he stopped using Peavey amps, Peavey made the same amp under a different name, the 6505, and that was the amp to have if you were playing any kind of punk or metal. Every band had one, and many still do.

I was never a massive fan of the band's music other than a handful of songs, but he was an incredible player and an innovator who has had such a huge effect on a lot of music I listen to.