Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

midnightmare

Paying the price for his unprofessionalism. Any professional footballer that comes to his first ever pre-season for a club of Real Madrid's stature when flaunting a paunch is starting off on the wrong foot. To then repeat the trick a year later is absolutely mental. Hazard has said in the past that he just doesn't have the drive to push himself to achieve his peak. It shows. When you're younger, you can get away with abusing your body, taking it for granted and cutting corners on diet, fitness regimens etc. This is specially true when you're just naturally gifted. As you age though, this will all catch up. We're seeing it - and it's not pretty.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Samuel Eto’o in 2014: “Ronaldinho was the best player in the world. But at a certain moment, if you don’t train everyday, you will pay for it. You can be Messi, if you don’t train Mr Eden Hazard after 2 years we will forget you. Football moves fast.”

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Last saturday he played his first minutes after 2 months.
Today he couldn't train and Zidane confirmed that he will miss the match against Atalanta.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
His sudden injury record is quite bizzare, but i guess this is what happens when a pro sportsman don't always look their your body in the way they should be looking after it (referring to Hazard in the past, returning from pre-season(s) unfit/a bit heavy). In your early to mid 20's you might get away with it, but the closer you get to 30, the more the body starts breaking down. See Rooney.

DDROGBA

the way chelsea post him on their socials still you'd think he never left...

Real has to be furious with the fitness, he was never made of glass in england.

age and weight are killing this man, still have a feeling chelsea would re sign him though

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
His sudden injury record is quite bizzare, but i guess this is what happens when a pro sportsman don't always look their your body in the way they should be looking after it (referring to Hazard in the past, returning from pre-season(s) unfit/a bit heavy). In your early to mid 20's you might get away with it, but the closer you get to 30, the more the body starts breaking down. See Rooney.
The man was an iron-man for us despite getting kicked up and down the country.
I doubt the weight issue helps but the complete 180 in his injury record is startling

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Admired him greatly at Chelsea, he was a fantastic little player at times. Sad to see him end up this way.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
what happened to him? Muscle injuries, lack of application and desire?
Nowadays I don't believe that it is lack of desire, nor too short recovery periods (as the Belgium NT doctor had supposed).
From what I understand in the past they were relapses in the injured ankle and now muscular injuries that nobody can't explain

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
4 to 6 weeks out again rumoured.

Feel sorry for him, similar to Rooney though Rooney looked totally done even when fit enough to play at 30. Hazard looked ok when he's actually played. Just never fit now.

Robbie Boy

Feel sorry for him, similar to Rooney though Rooney looked totally done even when fit enough to play at 30. Hazard looked ok when he's actually played. Just never fit now.
Caught him a-few times for Real and he was awful and usually subbed off.

red4ever 79

Nowadays I don't believe that it is lack of desire, nor too short recovery periods (as the Belgium NT doctor had supposed).
From what I understand in the past they were relapses in the injured ankle and now muscular injuries that nobody can't explain
Basically it sounds like his body as broken down. Pity as he was an exciting player at his peak.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Last saturday he played his first minutes after 2 months.
Today he couldn't train and Zidane confirmed that he will miss the match against Atalanta.
Duh. Shouldn't have played him last Saturday then. If you know he only lasts one game, pick a relevent one.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The man was an iron-man for us despite getting kicked up and down the country.
I doubt the weight issue helps but the complete 180 in his injury record is startling
Yeah that's what i was referencing as I hardly remember him suffering much injuries at Chelsea. He's currently making Gareth Bale look fit.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's what i was referencing as I hardly remember him suffering much injuries at Chelsea. He's currently making Gareth Bale look fit.
IIRC there was something going around mid way through his first season there that he was out injured more in that time period than in 7 years at chelsea

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We're close to two full seasons since he left and he has appeared in about 30 games across both seasons. He appeared in 50+ games in each of final two seasons at Chelsea.

Jaxa

Chelsea with the deal of the century on this one , what was it, 1 year left on his contract and they got 100m for him , he's played about 5 minutes in total for Madrid with 1 or 2 goals and turned into a crock, Flo must be spewing , couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch

cyberman

Chelsea with the deal of the century on this one , what was it, 1 year left on his contract and they got 100m for him , he's played about 5 minutes in total for Madrid with 1 or 2 goals and turned into a crock, Flo must be spewing , couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch
Nearer 150m apparently

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
has to be the worst signing of all time. 130m to 150m, wow.

MrEleson

What’s incredibly bizarre is that he was virtually never injured during his entire time at Chelsea yet as soon as he moves to Madrid his body becomes completely and utterly broken. Is it age catching up to him? Or is it a delayed response from his body after a decade of being the most fouled player in one of the most physical leagues.

It was an extremely poor invest as they bought him for 30-40million more than what they sold Ronaldo for and he hasn’t even had 1% of the expected impact.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This is a complete mystery, I get the logical explanation is him coming out of shape and he isn't as young as he used to be, but this string of injuries goes beyond that IMO, and I just learned what a Psoas is and it's truly weird he got injured there. It's sad more than anything, the game is worse off with players like him unable to show their magic.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Not sure about that, Coutinho to Barca is definitely worse considering everything else that came with it.
Hazard is much worse signing. Hazard only has played 2000 minutes and 3 goals

Coutinho was terrible signing but at least managed 23 goals and like 6000 minutes for Barca

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Its clearly past the weight issue now, that could have been rectified into his first year. I think its simply all the wear and tear he took over the years at chelsea have caught up with him and his body is breaking down

Sylar

Hazard is much worse signing. Hazard only has played 2000 minutes and 3 goals

Coutinho was terrible signing but at least managed 23 goals and like 6000 minutes for Barca
Didn't Coutinho help smash barca whilst being a barca owned player, on loan to Bayern?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
There are a lot of stories about hazard being a bad trainer but coming alive in matches... as these are fairly common I guess Madrid knew about that when they signed him.

But if he's out of form in the matches... misses a lot through injury and is still not training well its got to be hard to justify playing him without that impacting the morale of the players he takes the place of.

The fact that both bale and hazard don't seem to be what the fans / manager wants is perhaps a reflection of the impossibly high standards cr7 set?

One things for sure and that is hazard has great talent... I remember seeing him juggle a rugby ball then hit the crossbar on the volley from about 30 yards... not exactly the most useful skill in a game I'll grant you but indicative of his ability.

A move to psg with mbappe going the other way would seem perfect for all involved but although swap type deals are often perfect for tabloids as its great seo and easy lazy journalism they rarely materialise so I'm not sure what his next move should be?

Zidane does not seem like the type to change his mind and he does not seem to be blown away by hazard so if Zidane stays then it might be a good idea to get a fresh start but given the financial impact of covid there can't be many teams who could offer that... perhaps him and bale can be golf buddies next year?

Cracking player though... really wish we could have got him when he was younger

izec

Its clearly past the weight issue now, that could have been rectified into his first year. I think its simply all the wear and tear he took over the years at chelsea have caught up with him and his body is breaking down
I agree. Luckily, you sold him at the right time

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Didn't Coutinho help smash barca whilst being a barca owned player, on loan to Bayern?
No he didn't help bayern smash Barcelona. He came on as a substitute and scored a goal when the game was already done and dusted.

Sylar

No he didn't help bayern smash Barcelona. He came on as a substitute and scored a goal when the game was already done and dusted.
2 goals and an assist. The game was done but he helped smash them by contributing to nearly half the goals

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Maybe something psychological?

Surely the medical staff of the biggest club in the world can't be THAT bad.

I can't recall a similar story. There were injury prone players, like Robben, but they were from the very beginning and it worsened with age (usually at around 31+ though) but someone formerly sl resistant becoming almost invalid at 29?

RUCK4444

Rooney was usually fit to play, just not at his top level. Which he got slated for, when in reality he had extreme mileage on the clock at that point.

Looks like a weight issue with Hazard, I mean what’s his excuse for being clearly overweight?

Especially when your time at the club has been blighted by injury, the least you do is stop eating burgers :lol:

MrEleson

Like someone said, at least guys like Robben and Bale were always injury prone.

This guy goes from Ronaldo/Messi level resistance to Diaby almost overnight. No-one could have foreseen this happening.