Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Aren’t Real Madrid notorious for beefing their players up? Wonder if they’ve changed his diet to bulk him out with some muscle mass before he cuts down to lean mass.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Aren’t Real Madrid notorious for beefing their players up? Wonder if they’ve changed his diet to bulk him out with some muscle mass before he cuts down to lean mass.
Nah Hazard wont bulk up because Hazard doesn't do gym work, well according to him anyway. He really isn't a player Madrid fans will warm to IMO, yes he is a world class talent but he doesn't have the work rate or the goals per season they will demand from him, like it or not he will be seen as a Ronaldo replacement, and Ronaldo he isn't.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Since we're still talking about his weight, I thought I'd share this. AS photoshopped Hazard's head on Benzema's body.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Nah Hazard wont bulk up because Hazard doesn't do gym work, well according to him anyway. He really isn't a player Madrid fans will warm to IMO, yes he is a world class talent but he doesn't have the work rate or the goals per season they will demand from him, like it or not he will be seen as a Ronaldo replacement, and Ronaldo he isn't.
If jovic can get around 30 odd for then it will be fine. I expect hazard to get at least 25 next year.

I'm fairly confident Madrid fans know what they're likely going to get from Hazard interms of numbers in G/A.They're certainly not expecting Ronaldo numbers,not even Benzema ones from the past season.
What they do expect is Hazard's consistency in being a standout performer who will add a creative ,exciting gloss to a already established side.

If Hazard comes away with 20 G/A, I think that'll be a excellent contribution from a personal level.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
If jovic can get around 30 odd for then it will be fine. I expect hazard to get at least 25 next year.
Hazard 25 goals? Not a chance unless Ramos gives him all the penalties even then would be a surprise.

R'hllor

Since we're still talking about his weight, I thought I'd share this. AS photoshopped Hazard's head on Benzema's body.
feckin hell, surely not, that whole club is next level circus backed with propaganda machine, North Korea has nothing on them. Then again they photoshoped crowd in US few years back.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
feckin hell, surely not, that whole club is next level circus backed with propaganda machine, North Korea has nothing on them. Then again they photoshoped crowd in US few years back.
I like that they've took their time to recreate his tattoos, but it didn't occur to them that they could at least try and steal a body from somewhere else and not from the official photoshoot of the same club that same season.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

That's old news, but yeah, the weird part is that, unlike the popular opinion among the unaware, you would be hard pressed to find a more anti-Madrid publication than AS in the past couple of years, and a big part of it is due to their feud with Perez.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hazard better score 30 next season or the Madrid fans will be booing him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can one really get that fat just by overeating everything and sitting on your arse for two weeks doing nothing else? I mean i did but it was an accumulation for over two years instead of just two weeks
It's mostly bloat and water (you can easily add 10lb in a very short time this way) as well as a bit of fat from over-consumption.

Unfortunate for a footballer to be snapped in the middle of his holiday downtime, but it's far from a big deal and will be gone within a few days of pre-season.

Zidane is a hero there; Hazard can follow that tact and be the same. This notion he has to go there and score a gazillion goals is way off.

UncleBob

Zidane is a hero there; Hazard can follow that tact and be the same. This notion he has to go there and score a gazillion goals is way off.
"Just do what Zidane did and you'll be alright"

It's not way off, if his overall performances are like they were at Chelsea, the Real Madrid fans will crucify him. The expectations are that they've signed someone that will be consistently influential, scoring and setting up others on a frequent basis.

Everyone knows he has the ability to do it, main concern is if he's mentally strong enough to cope with the demands.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It's not way off, if his overall performances are like they were at Chelsea, the Real Madrid fans will crucify him. The expectations are that they've signed someone that will be consistently influential, scoring and setting up others on a frequent basis.

Everyone knows he has the ability to do it, main concern is if he's mentally strong enough to cope with the demands.
Your expectation or theirs ? Wouldn't it better to actually hear from the Real Madrid fans ?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's mostly bloat and water (you can easily add 10lb in a very short time this way) as well as a bit of fat from over-consumption.

Unfortunate for a footballer to be snapped in the middle of his holiday downtime, but it's far from a big deal and will be gone within a few days of pre-season.

One thing Real fans want is effort, Hazard at times do ant really show that and if you don’t think fans don’t want a new Ronaldo you are very much mistaken.

jungledrums

Madrid fans will crucify him if his performances are like they were at Chelsea ie by far the best player every season bar one?
How can you so confidently speak about their expectations of him?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
He has had two 45' showings in preseason games already, and although he hasn't scored almost every fan I know rates him highly, the situation might be different as we go into the season (it will), but I already feel that the expectations are more along the lines of as long as you work hard, put in a good performance and create a couple of chances, that's fine, whereas with Ronaldo it was score a couple or bust.

Being more active in the buildup (like a younger Ronnie) helps his cause as well. So, unlike Ronnie, I feel like there is way less emphasis on the numbers, no one expects 40 something goals from him. Few expect 30 something. But he can't afford going missing for a month or two either, his performances will be judged on a game to game basis, that's for sure.

UncleBob

Madrid fans will crucify him if his performances are like they were at Chelsea ?
Yes.

He's never been consistent enough, one mint season would be followed by a poor season and then another mint one, he's pretty much been following a sine curve. At Chelsea he got away with it, which clearly won't happen at Real Madrid.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
People completely overestimate the impact a single player can have in football. I think Hazard will be much more consistent for Madrid than he was for Chelsea. A big part of the reason Messi and Ronaldo were so consistent was also that they played in highly functionable teams that were head and shoulders above 90% of the competition they faced. If they hadn't played for SAF-United/Madrid and Barcelona that would've affected their performances, too.

Thing is, Hazard oozes quality everytime you see him play. Sometimes things don't work out for a team but Hazard was never the reason for it. You can expect a top player to win you a game almost singlehandedly omce in a while but you can't expect him to do it week in week out. That'll be different in Madrid, he'll have far more match winning team mates there and on top of it, Zidane will most likely again form a highly functional unit out of the team.

UncleBob

Thing is, Hazard oozes quality everytime you see him play. Sometimes things don't work out for a team but Hazard was never the reason for it. You can expect a top player to win you a game almost singlehandedly omce in a while but you can't expect him to do it week in week out. That'll be different in Madrid, he'll have far more match winning team mates there and on top of it, Zidane will most likely again form a highly functional unit out of the team.
Thing is, it's simply not true. He's been as much at fault for Chelsea's absurd variation from season to season as any other player at the club.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
People completely overestimate the impact a single player can have in football. I think Hazard will be much more consistent for Madrid than he was for Chelsea. A big part of the reason Messi and Ronaldo were so consistent was also that they played in highly functionable teams that were head and shoulders above 90% of the competition they faced. If they hadn't played for SAF-United/Madrid and Barcelona that would've affected their performances, too.

He oozes quality.... when he wants too, he trains well within his ability and he trains well with in his ability. Also Ronaldo and to a lesser extent Messi carried Real and Barca on a good few occasions.

romufc

Thing is, it's simply not true. He's been as much at fault for Chelsea's absurd variation from season to season as any other player at the club.
Not really, Hazard has been the outstanding performer for Chelsea for many years. He carried them last season, and the seasons they won the leagues he was the outstanding performer.

He was brilliant in the world cup as well.

Grande

So, about 1/30th part of the player’s part of the fault, then? And how big was that in comparison with Abramovitsj’s, Mourinho’s, Conte’s and Sarri’s part of the fault? And the reat of the staff?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

It's impressive that you've quoted your own interpretation of what was said, however, you have to look at the history of the club in question, their relationship with this type of player (they adore them) and work out what the mean is between two points.

Lazy and effective is wholly different to lazy and shite, ala Oezil in his semi-retirement state.

Hazard does his usual and lays it on a plate for others a few times a game whilst doing little else, will not be the player slaughtered at Real Madrid over the guy missing those gilt-edged oppurtunities.

One thing Real fans want is effort, Hazard at times do ant really show that and if you don’t think fans don’t want a new Ronaldo you are very much mistaken.
You're speaking with a lot of authority on this whilst not acknowledging the club or culture of football played there or their history with this type of player. Whether they want a new Ronaldo or not, the type of player Hazard is is massively appreciated by Real Madrid and the Spanish footballing culture as a whole. Plus, they aren't stupid; who in their right mind follows Hazard's career and then expects something the total opposite of his entire body of work?

The path Hazard has to follow is etched out in stone by former greats of that club who played his role. Ronaldo barely comes into it other than being another expensive signing from the PL.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's impressive that you've quoted your own interpretation of what was said, however, you have to look at the history of the club in question, their relationship with this type of player (they adore them) and work out what the mean is between two points.

Lazy and effective is wholly different to lazy and shite, ala Oezil in his semi-retirement state.

Hazard does his usual and lays it on a plate for others a few times a game whilst doing little else, will not be the player slaughtered at Real Madrid over the guy missing those gilt-edged oppurtunities.

You're speaking with a lot of authority on this whilst not acknowledging the club or culture of football played there or their history with this type of player. Whether they want a new Ronaldo or not, the type of player Hazard is is massively appreciated by Real Madrid and the Spanish footballing culture as a whole. Plus, they aren't stupid; who in their right mind follows Hazard's career and then expects something the total opposite of his entire body of work?

The path Hazard has to follow is etched out in stone by former greats of that club who played his role. Ronaldo barely comes into it other than being another expensive signing from the PL.
I have a good few Madrid fans, who live in Madrid, who are still incredibly unhappy that Ronaldo went and Bale stayed. Perez isn't their biggest fan at the moment and wont win in a popularity contest with Zidane. I don't mean to with "a lot of authority" I simply think that if Hazard puts in some of the half arsed performances he did at Chelsea, it wont be long before some Madrid fans turn on him, weather or not his guilt edge chances are squandered by another player.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He is far better than Brian ever was.
Better, but not far better, imo.

Main difference is that Brian had a bit of a journeyman career and was more uneven in his earlier days compared to Hazard. and then he spent his best years in Scotland.

At their best, I'd say they are about par. Brian was a world class technician and dribbler on his day.

But my main point really is how similar they are in terms of style and temperament.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have a good few Madrid fans, who live in Madrid, who are still incredibly unhappy that Ronaldo went and Bale stayed. Perez isn't their biggest fan at the moment and wont win in a popularity contest with Zidane. I don't mean to with "a lot of authority" I simply think that if Hazard puts in some of the half arsed performances he did at Chelsea, it wont be long before some Madrid fans turn on him, weather or not his guilt edge chances are squandered by another player.
You're forcing conflation for no good reason, though. Hazard is not a replacement for Ronaldo in any like for like sense and it's an insult to the intelligence of a viewer to think they are going to expect a Ronaldo-esque output from a type of play they've known for the past 70+ years. Real Madrid have an illustrious history with this type of player, and any fan/supporter worth his salt knows this and what to expect - or what should be the remit for a player like Hazard.

'Effort' won't come to it unless he isn't producing those chances and being a creative lynchpin. It never does.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You're forcing conflation for no good reason, though. Hazard is not a replacement for Ronaldo in any like for like sense and it's an insult to the intelligence of a viewer to think they are going to expect a Ronaldo-esque output from a type of play they've known for the past 70+ years. Real Madrid have an illustrious history with this type of player, and any fan/supporter worth his salt knows this and what to expect - or what should be the remit for a player like Hazard.

'Effort' won't come to it unless he isn't producing those chances and being a creative lynchpin. It never does.
How am I forcing conflation? Are you saying Real fans will be happy with him strolling round the pitch on one of his off days? Id say Real fans will think he will up his game cause he is playing for "Madrid". They already have a player who they don't appreciate, this club steeped in "illustrious history". I just find them a bit of a shithouse of a club to be honest.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How am I forcing conflation? Are you saying Real fans will be happy with him strolling round the pitch on one of his off days? Id say Real fans will think he will up his game cause he is playing for "Madrid". They already have a player who they don't appreciate, this club steeped in "illustrious history". I just find them a bit of a shithouse of a club to be honest.
Depends how often those off days will come, and when. If he plays out of his mind for 20 games, shreds barcelona in the clasico and then puts in a couple half arsed performances against the likes of eibar and getafe, no one will care. If he puts in those half arsed performances in the clasico though, or if those become a frequent occurrence, then yeah it will be an issue and we'll be on his back

Nobody expects him to be the new cristiano, score 50 goals or anything. But we do expect him to be consistently a top 5-6 player in the world and the catalyst for our successes. Zidane or Figo would be a good benchmark in terms of what we expect from him