Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Think he relegated Martial to the bench with that performance today
Yeah I think Martial stock just took a massive dive. The movement, intelligence and poaching was brilliant and he has an obvious resonance with Bruno. His gravity is really important.

Devil may care

When he came on I hoped it was going to be a hat-trick sub replicating RVP against Southampton 7 years ago, he missed an early chance and then gave the ball away a couple of times and I thought "guess not"......Then he gets the assist for Bruno and bags two classic #9 headers to complete a clsssic United comeback. Obviously MOTM and hopefully he can continue to contribute.

Ludens the Red

It’s weird. Those two goals would never be scored by Martial. He would rarely be in those positions and react and adjust as Cavani did. Great to have a proper actual centre forward.

MAME DIOUF 32

He played and celebrated his goals like he was a teenager in front of a full house, not a man at the end of his career in an empty stadium. What a great character to have as well as a great player.

cyberman

It’s weird. Those two goals would never be scored by Martial. He would rarely be in those positions and react and adjust as Cavani did. Great to have a proper actual centre forward.
Martial had the same chance as Cavanis first for France a few weeks ago and smacked the crossbar

jem

What a difference he made out there. A true striker's performance. Unfortunately, I think he'll be facing some punishment for that Instagram comment. It constantly amazes me that professionals don't take a second to think before posting. I don't think it's the same as the Suarez situation (Cavani looks to be addressing a friend; Suarez was antagonizing an opponent.) But if Bernardo Silva got banned for his comments, I don't see how Cavani could avoid similar punishment.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What a difference he made out there. A true striker's performance. Unfortunately, I think he'll be facing some punishment for that Instagram comment. It constantly amazes me that professionals don't take a second to think before posting. I don't think it's the same as the Suarez situation (Cavani looks to be addressing a friend; Suarez was antagonizing an opponent.) But if Bernardo Silva got banned for his comments, I don't see how Cavani could avoid similar punishment.
Silva got one game for a tweet that featured racist imagery... So it's a little different, but will be interesting to see if the FA do anything.

I imagine it'll be a warning of some sort.

brzez

The moral of the story is that, like always, the world circuits around the west. You come from South America and can’t speak English? No problem, ditch your culture because it’s shit and nothing or no one is better than us in the west. We are the aboriginal and the perfect human being. Our way of speaking should be applied in every corner in the world. Because we say so.

jem

Silva got one game for a tweet that featured racist imagery... So it's a little different, but will be interesting to see if the FA do anything.

I imagine it'll be a warning of some sort.
True - I guess I was thinking of it being in the category of friendly banter between friends that really should be available for public consumption (something both Silva and Cavani should be aware of.)

Reiver

Awesome. How I've missed seeing a striker like that in a Utd. shirt. Reminded me of RvN. Desire and determination too. Love it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, this is what we miss. We need a proper striker who will get on the end of things like that. Martial just wants everything to come to him

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The overreactions in here are quite amusing. Let‘s wait and see first.

MyDevil

Constant movements in the attacking space and this is what has been missing in Martial. And his work rate is admirable. Definitely deserve to start more.

Robaldo

Fantastic appearance today and showed us what our other strikers are missing.

Still think his best role is a sub for the minute; completely changed the game when Southampton were tiring.

blemis

Supports
spurs
Be careful about playing him without rest, he is in 30s after all...
Zlatan almost 40 and still playing week in week out, Cavani takes care of his body really well , i reckon he can at least play in high level till 36.

Real Name

Proper CF, a poacher knows how to be in a good positions, how to move to end up in those kind of positions and always has a sight for goal.
What I like about him too is he's so full of energy, always on the move and never stops, it's a joy watching him play.

We all had a worry if he'll be up to speed given he hasn't played so long and it seems he's fit and form.

I see all hell broke loose in Martial thread. It's kind of pointless to compare them, they're different players and after all it's so good to have a variety of options upfront.

Reactions: Penna

Glorio

An ex striker like Ole can't even see the best striker in the team... how ?
The staff have obviously been building up Cavani's fitness carefully with a few cameos, and it's worked a treat.

Glorio

Should be starting against PSG and West Ham, if he doesn't and Martial is in his place, i would question the judgements of the 'so called' experts who make footballing decisions at our club (Ole and his staff).
But they are the experts and you're the fan looking outside in. Maybe he'll start from the bench because it will be too risky to start him so soon after a mammoth effort. Considering Cavani looks like if he's on green grass, he'll run himself into the ground. They'll have that inside knowledge whereas we won't.
Or maybe we'll just set up to counter PSG and the staff will go for pace.

Personally, if we don't go with 3-5-2, I hope he plays in the middle with Rashford and Martial either side of him, and those 2 should be prepared to track back and help.

SirMarcusRashford

But they are the experts and you're the fan looking outside in. Maybe he'll start from the bench because it will be too risky to start him so soon after a mammoth effort. Considering Cavani looks like if he's on green grass, he'll run himself into the ground. They'll have that inside knowledge whereas we won't.
Or maybe we'll just set up to counter PSG and the staff will go for pace.

Personally, if we don't go with 3-5-2, I hope he plays in the middle with Rashford and Martial either side of him, and those 2 should be prepared to track back and help.
"mammoth effort" ? :confused:

He played 45 mins, he's a striker, his job is to put the ball in the net. Just because he put the ball in the net twice does that automaticly mean he's now more tired than he would have been if he missed those chances and still ran about the same?

I'd concider the average Joe working 9 till 5 every day putting their hands in shit and muck and still getting up the next day to do the same for peanuts, more of an effort than a guy who got paid £250k this week to kick a ball of wind around for 45mins.

Running himself into the ground :lol: He's been sat on the bench most games, he's fresh (or should be) and as said should be starting against PSG and West Ham.

Last edited:

He's on 42 minutes per goal this season.
He's got the movement and instinct. My reservations have been around how sharp he can get and how physical he can be. He's been good the last couple of games, but as per usual our fanbase now thinks he's R9 reincarnated. Too early to make a judgement on him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's got the movement and instinct. My reservations have been around how sharp he can get and how physical he can be. He's been good the last couple of games, but as per usual our fanbase now thinks he's R9 reincarnated. Too early to make a judgement on him.
It didn't seem too early to make a judgement on him when everyone wrote him off without him kicking a ball for us.

Mr PG

Like I always said. Fans were crazy to question his signing. They didn't think for themselves but instead listened to the media and I don't care how late we signed him. His first intention was to go to Atletico Madrid but they couldn't afford him due to covid. I always said he would end this comical Martial debate that has persisted on here for ages. Before Cavani, fans never had a player to compare Martial at no.9.

Mr PG

Biggest benefit is I expect Cavani to now be here another 3 yrs. Can cut it to 36 yrs minimum and the young lads get to learn from him.

meamth

He played 45 mins, he's a striker, his job is to put the ball in the net. Just because he put the ball in the net twice does that automaticly mean he's now more tired than he would have been if he missed those chances and still ran about the same?

I'd concider the average Joe working 9 till 5 every day putting their hands in shit and muck and still getting up the next day to do the same for peanuts, more of an effort than a guy who got paid £250k this week to kick a ball of wind around for 45mins.

Running himself into the ground :lol: He's been sat on the bench most games, he's fresh (or should be) and as said should be starting against PSG and West Ham.
Striker position is up there with full backs in terms of stamina. Have you played football? Making runs is fecking tiring, you have to sprint all the time, reset, helping the team, etc.

Striker's role is the hardest and most demanding position.

should send him down the mine for the next week, 12 hours day, just so he knows what real work is like.

Vaibhav Raj

Striker position is up there with full backs in terms of stamina. Have you played football? Making runs is fecking tiring, you have to sprint all the time, reset, helping the team, etc.

Striker's role is the hardest and most demanding position.
I'd refute that striker's position requires as much of explosive sprinting as does positions like wing backs and wingers or inside forwards, especially in an attacking team which is supposed to be wary of counter attacks. Having played these positions myself, I always found playing as a striker much more kinder on my legs for the next few days. (Maybe I was a lazy striker :lol:). There was quicker recovery after games as a striker. Even midfielders may have to run more than a striker. But, it quite ridiculous to suggest that all a striker has to do is put the ball in the net. Cavani comes back to defend set pieces due to his heading ability then has to take up attacking position thereafter, mostly right away. And in the opposition box, he's constantly on the move. 45 mins can take a toll physically even for strikers especially when you're chasing a game. At Cavani's age, recovery must be slower than say Rashford's recovery speed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His signing is as important as Thiago Silva's to Chelsea, with both have been making immediate impact. Two semi-retired players from farmers league (allegedly). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.