Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinson_Cavani#Career_statistics

He basically had one not so good (7 in 22) season sometimes out of position. I'm not surprised he's doing well considering he managed to look pretty good when playing off the right or in a more supporting role at PSG, since at Napoli he was more of a pure target man. I think he's got a couple seasons left if he's only playing up top.

Dwight Corke

I sincerely believe that we have picked up one the bargains of the season. Not only is his prodigious football IQ on show in every match, he also looks physically up for it. Hopefully he will get an optimal number of minutes this season and make a significant goal/assist contribution.

El Zoido

Gutted that chip didn’t go in, it would have been one for the ages. Probably would have got a result from the game too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Top class performance last night, proving me wrong massively

You can just see the difference between him and the likes of Martial, ones an actual striker/number 9 and ones pretending to be one. Makes you realise just how much we've come to accept second best and that's not a dig at Martial persay he's a decent player to have in your squad but not as your leading main man

Rajma

A real shame that chip did not go in, even at his age he's such a natural player and class apart.

Redfan94

For some reason, when he tried the chip I just got the feeling that none of our attacking players would have the flair, execution and intelligence to try that from that range.

Not a slight on Rashford or Martial but 9 out of 10 times in those situations they get shown out wide and end up having to look for the pullback to players arriving in or around the box.

Gutted it didn’t go in.

MattofManchester

Definitely doesn't look like a player who's 33.
Surprising given how long its been since he played, but I'm happy we've got such a hard working, class act.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The only problem with Cavani (other than his age) is that he makes our other forwards look like exactly what they are. A mixture of good, not good enough and poor. We need more Cavani level operators.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Impressive stuff so far. And he looks surprisingly sharp so we should be fine for now and have gained some time for Rashford, Martial and Greenwood to hopefully develop and have edged out the rough edges of their game once Cavani leaves/retires.

bsCallout

So was the chip the right decision?

The technique was lovely. But should he have just tried to place it round the keeper?

thebelfastboy

So was the chip the right decision?

The technique was lovely. But should he have just tried to place it round the keeper?
Yeah I think it was the right decision. The defender was getting back quite quickly and I think probably would've closed him down in the next couple of strides.
His anticipation of what's happening around him and the clarity/speed of decision making is something else (reminds me of cantona and rooney in that regard). Something our other strikers should be learning from.

Plymouth Red

He’s a brilliant target man, such an intelligent footballer
I couldn't agree more and therein lies a big part of our problem. From everything we have seen (except maybe tying bootlaces), he is hungry to win, skilful, willing to play for the team, industrious, focused and a very clever player.

Many of the players who we expect most from - Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Greenwood - aren't intelligent footballers, unfortunately.

They may have exceptional skills such as finishing or dribbling at pace but they don't know instinctively where to position themselves and when to pass or shoot.

Sometimes, they make the right choice but not often enough and as a result, they are desperately inconsistent.

If you then chuck into the mix the fair question marks raised over their attitude and commitment, it's not difficult to see why they come in for such criticism.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The only problem with Cavani (other than his age) is that he makes our other forwards look like exactly what they are. A mixture of good, not good enough and poor. We need more Cavani level operators.
So his problem is that he exposes frauds? I love that problem.

Sylar

Might sound simple, but I love that he runs across the front post when a cross it coming in.

MetoTTT

I agree. Overrated and not consistent at least for sure. Hope he can stay fit.

Rajma

I couldn't agree more and therein lies a big part of our problem. From everything we have seen (except maybe tying bootlaces), he is hungry to win, skilful, willing to play for the team, industrious, focused and a very clever player.

Many of the players who we expect most from - Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Greenwood - aren't intelligent footballers, unfortunately.

They may have exceptional skills such as finishing or dribbling at pace but they don't know instinctively where to position themselves and when to pass or shoot.

Sometimes, they make the right choice but not often enough and as a result, they are desperately inconsistent.

If you then chuck into the mix the fair question marks raised over their attitude and commitment, it's not difficult to see why they come in for such criticism.
I wouldn't place Greenwood in that category as he seems alright in that department but agree with the rest.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Yeah sometimes I wonder how good we’d be if they instantly got on the same wavelength. Sigh

Greck

Still buzzed on how this signing turned out. A "washed up 33 year old striker who hasnt played in 2 years". Was used as a stick to batter the club's lack of ambition and written off before he even played a game. Mega signings aren't the only way to improve a team. Who dare say Lord Cavani wasn't good backing

Dembeza

Apologies if I’m late to the party, but what happened with his FA investigation?

archiebald

Ole'd better manage his minutes and not run him into the ground a la Rashford. Him turning up at our club at 33 and still managing to school the other CF pretenders has been nothing short of a godsend.

That being said, we probably need a 60-70 minute shift out of him this weekend to get past the damn Hammers.

Santos J

Came off because of a muscle injury Ole just said, hopefully no major time missing

Status
Not open for further replies.