6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockets Redglare

Ole has dealt with him well so far. He isn’t fit enough to play 90 minutes every 2 days, he’s not going to play as well against a high line as he’s not got the pace for it.

I’m sure he’ll start at home Where teams will sit a bit deeper, but people expecting him to start every match will be disappointed when he gets injured.
Sorry I disagree. I think he has shown enough to be a regular starter. He appears to have an insane work rate and stamina and doesn’t seem to wilt when given more minutes.

Obviously I may be wrong if we start him every game, but he has to feature more than he is now.

Tapori

What a player

I can't wait for him to take the younger lads out on a trek and free their mind. His intelligence and movement are world class. What a terrific signing for our squads development.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sorry I disagree. I think he has shown enough to be a regular starter. He appears to have an insane work rate and stamina and doesn’t seem to wilt when given more minutes.

Obviously I may be wrong if we start him every game, but he has to feature more than he is now.
When it comes to fitness, all we can do is trust the club in the management of players. We don't know much about the state the players are in after games. Besides this is a terrible period with too many games in short succession. Not ideal to keep starting Cavani

You’re misremembering just how good Martial was after lockdown. He was holding the ball up with serious strength, laying it off, scoring amazing goals. He wasn’t middling to good, people were thinking he’d finally hit his potential not ‘oh this might be something to work with’. It’s less people are trying to make it look better than it was, more you’re downplaying it to prove a point.
Erm... absolutely plenty of us were delighted with the Cavani signing because we absolutely had not been convinced of a season watching Martial at no. 9, that he was in fact a number 9.

Think you’re overrating him somewhat, he had a nice purple patch was all, and didn’t even see it through to the end of the season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You’re misremembering just how good Martial was after lockdown. He was holding the ball up with serious strength, laying it off, scoring amazing goals. He wasn’t middling to good, people were thinking he’d finally hit his potential not ‘oh this might be something to work with’. It’s less people are trying to make it look better than it was, more you’re downplaying it to prove a point.
He had a run of about 10 games where he was ridiculously good otherwise it was his usual standard where he's useless for 89 mins and everyone claims he had a good game because he scored.

He had a run of about 10 games where he was ridiculously good otherwise it was his usual standard where he's useless for 89 mins and everyone claims he had a good game because he scored.
And that was over an entire season, between August-December he was utter dogshit.

Some people love Martial so much that a purple patch in a season is enough to convince them he’s “finally hit his potential”.

Best season was still his first for me and he’ll soon be Cavani’s understudy if Ole is smart.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
And that was over an entire season, between August-December he was utter dogshit.

Some people love Martial so much that a purple patch in a season is enough to convince them he’s “finally hit his potential”.

Best season was still his first for me and he’ll soon be Cavani’s understudy if Ole is smart.
Yup. He's one of the biggest reason why we're so inconsistent.

The sooner we improve on him the better.

I swear some people are just fans of the players rather than the club. So many people thinking that Martial and Pogba are important to the team when in reality their constant disappearing act is why we're down in the first place.

Winrar

Of course it's easy to say this after Cavani had a good start to his time here, but I always had a hunch that he was going to be a bit of a sleeper hit even though I was somewhat underwhelmed by the news of his signing initially.

I'll be happy if Cavani can maintain this level of performance up for most of his time here for however long he's here, hopefully for a few more years. Hell, even Ibrahimovic is still going at 39 and just as good as ever at Milan.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We should give him a new contract :cool:
Steady on fella :lol: - We've actually got good terms with Cavani. Good as he is there is still a chance of injury, especially after seeing his workrate and general hussle and bussle. Fantastic player and although I was pleased with his signing, I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying watching him play.
:smirk:

If it'll expire soon, you're right but doubt the option was there for only a couple of months.
I assume the option is there until the end of his contract. But he could sign for another club next week if we don’t activate it? I don’t imagine he would, but he could.

eire-red

Looks like a great signing. I think he'll have a crucial part to play in the second half of the season if he can stay fit.

Needs to be a starter for me, we're a different team with him on the pitch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What happened to the ban he was supposed to get? I have a bit of sympathy for him as the term he used has completely different context in South America to how it's viewed over here and it's not like he was speaking to English person when he used it but I thought the FA have charged him about two weeks back and he'd be out for two games or something.

Class player anyway and I have a feeling you'd still be in CL if he'd been available for the Leipzig game.

Chief123

It was interesting to learn today that Jamie Vardy is older than Cavani.

Still think Cavani has at least 2 more years in him. He looks in great shape.

Chief123

What happened to the ban he was supposed to get? I have a bit of sympathy for him as the term he used has completely different context in South America to how it's viewed over here and it's not like he was speaking to English person when he used it but I thought the FA have charged him about two weeks back and he'd be out for two games or something.

Class player anyway and I have a feeling you'd still be in CL if he'd been available for the Leipzig game.
We have until 4th Jan to appeal. So ban will apply after that. Will miss the Liverpool game probably. City game will probably be postponed so probably won’t miss that now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We have until 4th Jan to appeal. So ban will apply after that. Will miss the Liverpool game probably. City game will probably be postponed so probably won’t miss that now.
Ah right, thought they'd do the hearing over zoom and he would have person to translate if his English isn't that great and it would've kicked in over xmas period.

Would certainly be a good one to have for Liverpool away with all his experience. I thought when you signed him he'd be far closer to Zlatan than Falcao for you as he still looked good for PSG in CL and Uruguay. Just a case of getting him up to speed given he hadn't played for six months.

Red00012

Quiet but busy off the ball but didn’t get the ball played in to him enough

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It would be hard for any striker in that game considering Wolves had 9 players in their box every time the ball crossed the half way line. However the anticipated Telles -> Cavani connection has yet to materialize.

Plymouth Red

He operates in the box and as yet, we haven't got on to his wavelength sufficiently to really see what he can do for us. More an issue for his teammates and the coaches than for him. By the end of the season, he will have shown his value, I suspect.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just not sure he suits the way we play, he’s great as an impact option but we don’t give the forwards great service, we often work the ball into the box with quick 1-2s and flicks, which he just doesn’t seem natural or comfortable with.

there will be plenty of other games though where he won’t find it quite so hard.

amsoUG

I like his work off the ball, he does more than the young forwards.

He seems to be more flexible across the front line than traditional strikers.

He adds presence upfront but we seem to lose an edge in our dynamic play. I hate relying on long balls to a central target, even small teams no longer do this.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Will the people crying for Martial to be dropped now come in and accept he’s still a far better option than Cavani currently? Look I like him as a player and he’s a fantastic signing to give up additional options, but he’s fairly limited in the build up, doesn’t combine as well with our other attackers and ultimately as create less openings with him in the side compared to the Frenchman.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Will the people crying for Martial to be dropped now come in and accept he’s still a far better option than Cavani currently? Look I like him as a player and he’s a fantastic signing to give up additional options, but he’s fairly limited in the build up, doesn’t combine as well with our other attackers and ultimately as create less openings with him in the side compared to the Frenchman.
After watching the game today you think Martial is anywhere close to what Cavani brings to the team?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
After watching the game today you think Martial is anywhere close to what Cavani brings to the team?
He’s better by a mile. Martial actually drops deep and links with our other attackers successfully. The ball sticks to him, he’s good at holding up the ball and our best attacker at drawing fouls. Not surprised that our best form this season has coincided with Martial finding some form again and getting back in the team, he’s fundamental for the way we play.

I wouldn’t judge any of our strikers based on today.

Cavani and Martial are completely different players. Personally I think Cavani as a no 9 and Martial/ Rashford/ Greenwood for the other two positions.

el3mel

Martial isn't in any way or shape better option than Cavani, it's actually baffling to think otherwise.

And Cavani wasn't our problem today, far from it.

I hope we keep starting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.