6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

Why is it at 33 he runs more than half our team? There are times he's winning the ball on the halfway line.

Disgraceful.

ForeverRed1

Love him, great attitude, great mentality. Himself and Bruno have bought such a great mental shift to the team, they are exactly what we have needed for years! Winners.

hope we extend his contract.

Red00012

Should be our number 1 striker as of tonight . Love his winning mentality and attitude

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Eddy, I am so sorry I thought you were an overrated, money hungry, Zlatan's shadow, second string farmer's league forward who missed sitters for a living for almost a decade.
I too ask for forgiveness as I thought the exact same things :lol:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
From now onwards, he should play every PL game he can. Rest in for FA or Europa.

He works more than Martial and Rashford combined.

jem

I've been saying for a while we should revisit Mata on the right seeing as nobody sets the world alight there anyway.

I'd expect them to get on like a house on fire.
I actually think a spell of Mata in the side would be good - Greenwood is a non-factor there, and Rashford has been overplayed (and is better on the left.) The thought of Mata feeding some delicious passes into Cavani is quite tantalizing!

Ibrahimorich

This guy is an absolute boss. Great off the ball, gets in the positions that a striker should be in, good finisher and he's pressing more than anyone else despite being 33. And he's still doing it 90 plus minutes gone.

Did more in any 1 minute segment of tonight's game than Martial and Greenwood combined.

NoPace

My striker and I'll take no one else ahead of him, period.

On another point though I'm starting to think he's struggling to play with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. They don't seem to link well, they're all strikers but he's the only proper one among them. They seem unable to feed him with balls and he's literally feeding on scraps each game. He links much better with Bruno.
It's been clear enough to me for a few months that the logical move for us to do this summer is sell Martial and use the significant amount of money that should bring from PSG or Italy to spend on Sancho or another right winger (or Grealish to play on the left and proper backup Bruno and just use Rashford on the right for one more year even it's a bit annoying, apart from when we play 4-3-3 against weak teams with Grealish and Bruno in front of a holding mid and Rash on the left of a front 3) and make Greenwood the backup 9 with Rashford as the plan C if Greenwood isn't up to it:

Rashford(James)----Cavani(Greenwood)-----Sancho(Diallo)

And one of Pellistri, Ighalo or Mata sticks around for one more year as a 7th attacker though really Bruno and VDB are ahead of them as false 9 or free role or coming in off the left options.

Martial isn't bad, but the 50M I think we could get for him would be better spent at RW, RB, DM or CB and committing to Cavani for next year and the one after and Greenwood long-term.

NoPace

Again ran his socks off. If we had wide players actually performing he would benefit so much
I think Martial is more beneficial for Greenwood but Cavani more for James. Diallo I won't comment on until we see him proper with both.

shahzy

Why is it at 33 he runs more than half our team? There are times he's winning the ball on the halfway line.

Disgraceful.
Its an attitude/mentality. Certain people in the world just work harder than others. I know this is completely different sport but if you watch some of Kobe Bryant's old interviews he would always say its as simple as outworking the opposition and then you'll be the best by virtue of having put more time in. If they wake up at 5am to train, ill wake up at 4am. If they put 4 hours of practice in a day, ill put 6 hours. That was his mentality. Cristiano is much the same. Some guys just have it ingrained (through their own realisations) that working harder is normal. Cavani seems to be cut from the same cloth

kundalini

Did well to score his goal after the keeper's error. Should have scored his header from Fernandes' cross in the 2nd half. Worked hard for the team, stole possession a couple of times.

Wish we could get him involved more. Not convinced that there is much understanding between him and the other attackers.

Morpheus 7

He's so focused and willing to work, movement and positioning was excellent. I hope he gets a good run of games now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cavani would get into any of Fergie's era. From the '90s to '00s. He and RvN up front, with those Becks and Giggs crossings, would be like cheating.

KD6-3.7

He has been a lot better then I expected.

I just wish we'd have gotten him when he was a few years younger. Can't believe we've had Ibra, Falcao and now Cavani but all when they were either recovering from injury or past their prime.

Manya.para.siempre

If he was getting better service he would have scored a heap of goals already. Bruno seems to understand him but apart from that I think the others don't seem to quite understand his game yet. His football brain is on another level.

SAFMUTD

He's got great movement, I never noticed how great he was at finding space before he joined us.

It's really great to have him at this point, he offers something nobody else in the squad does.

We should definitely be looking for a player of his profile to step up once he goes.

lex talionis

Edison Cavani, an outstanding striker we’ve been without, apart from Zlatan, since van Persie. I had hoped that Martial would learn from Cavani’s work ethic, but that hasn’t happened yet, if it ever will.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He will be 34 in couple of weeks but his work rate is unreal. Always on the move when we have possession, presses the opponents all the time. He has been very good signing, hopefully our young attackers pick up things from him and learn how to move in the box.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He will be 34 in couple of weeks but his work rate is unreal. Always on the move when we have possession, presses the opponents all the time. He has been very good signing, hopefully our young attackers pick up things from him and learn how to move in the box.
I think they should first emulate how hard he works off the ball, it's not normal to see him defend like a mad man and press on his own.

roonster09

Scout
I think they should first emulate how hard he works off the ball, it's not normal to see him defend like a mad man and press on his own.
And he will be 34 in couple of weeks. Unreal fitness.

roonster09

Scout
Unreal indeed. I never doubted he would be a great addition, it was just a matter of getting fit for him
He is such a positive addition for the team. Quality goal scorer, works hard for the team and also played so much of his career in wide position too. Like I said, he should be coach's dream player. Proper team player too.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Very good #9 performance, worked his socks off, bagged a poachers goal and looked sharp all game, he was getting frustrated with the lack of service and then didn’t bury that headed chance that you'd have bet on him to score.
In fairness, it was a great save from Areola. You could say "so much of the goal to aim at!"... but he did, he went for wrong-footing the keeper while not risking it going wide. 9/10 times you would score off that same exact header.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I understand people not noticing his movement before he plays for you, but attitude/workrate/commitment to the team was always a given.

Said from the off nothing further from Cavani than a mercenary on a last payday. His horizon is Qatar 2022.

Adamsk7

He’s brilliant. I’m so thankful we get to watch him play, he’s amongst the last of a dying breed of striker as the game continues to change towards “forwards”. His movement is something else, I’d liken it to RVN (my favourite Utd player) but it’s probably even better. If he had any more players like Bruno in the team, he’d have scored a crap load by now. It’s a shame we have too many individuals that don’t pick an early pass. His best chance of getting goals would be to not have Rashford, Martial and Greenwood on the pitch at all and replace them with Bruno on the right, Mata/Telles on the left and DVB behind with Pogba as a quarterback type from deep.

We obviously can’t do that though.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Hopefully he can play a full part going forward. Once we get used to his positioning in the area, think he will start scoring quite regularly.
I posted this in November, but Martial, Rashford and Greenwood don't seem to have picked up on his positions in the box, all three of those players tend to receive the ball, and take a number of touches whilst trying to take on the first defender, meanwhile Cavani has made the run into the box, and then has to stop and come out again. Perhaps, now and again, those players can just whip an early ball into the box and just possibly Cavani would be on the end of it.
Bruno has found him on a few occasions, and perhaps Mata, if he played, would also have the vision to pick him out.

He was excellent last night. His work rate should be a kick up the arse to the likes of Martial, as should his movement in the box. Martial and Rashford would never have been in the right place to nick that first goal.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He was excellent last night. His work rate should be a kick up the arse to the likes of Martial, as should his movement in the box. Martial and Rashford would never have been in the right place to nick that first goal.
What I’d like to see also is Martial and Rashford realising how good Cavani is and trying to understand how to get even more out of him by looking to increase the quality of service to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.