6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar

He is just technically far inferior to me. He can’t keep hold of the ball in all situations, his passing and link play is not as advanced either. He doesn’t have the same quality of touch. For Cavani to be at his best, he needs to ideally be taking a shot within his first one to three touches on the ball. Ideally his first. He looks a more and more average player as that number increases, whereas Martial can look a top player well into 6-10 touches I think.

Edi’s strengths lie in his movement and instinctive finishing, but I don’t think he’s comparable to Martial in any other aspect of his game.
Don’t agree that Cavani is technically far inferior. Sometimes Cavani tries to do things his teammates “don’t follow”, things I’m sure he used to do in PSG and his former teammates understood. Combination play usually depends a lot on players knowing each other.

I’m very happy with Cavani, but my point is that Cavani still hasn’t adapted completely to both PL and his teammates. The box-play is the most universal thing, so as expected he sorted that quickly.

It is much more to come from Cavani. Next season we will se him take both one and two steps and become an even better asset to us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is just technically far inferior to me. He can’t keep hold of the ball in all situations, his passing and link play is not as advanced either. He doesn’t have the same quality of touch. For Cavani to be at his best, he needs to ideally be taking a shot within his first one to three touches on the ball. Ideally his first. He looks a more and more average player as that number increases, whereas Martial can look a top player well into 6-10 touches I think.

Edi’s strengths lie in his movement and instinctive finishing, but I don’t think he’s comparable to Martial in any other aspect of his game.
I respectfully disagree with about 90% of that post.

eire-red

Some of you guys make Cavani sound like he's just a work horse that scores goals. Go watch him at Napoli and PSG or even Uruguay, he's scored a lot of amazing goals that are just as good as any of RVP's best goals. He hasn't had a chance to show everything he can do here yet (partly because the team just hasn't adapted to his style or fully understand him yet). Watch his first goal against Portugal in the 2018 world cup, the guy sets up that goal with an amazing inch perfect 40 metre pass to Suarez. He's got more than "battling" qualities.
Don't take one word I said out of context and act like I said that's the only quality he has. If he was just a 'work horse' he wouldn't have had the career he had, and scored the amount of goals he did.

What I was implying is that you can't compare him to RVP, in the sense that RVP could dominate a game from CF, and was the complete striker. That's not Cavani's game, but doesn't mean that he's not a top striker. In fact, Cavani has a lot of the attributes as a no. 9 that we've been missing since RVP left, but RVP was a difference animal altogether that season.

NinjaFletch

Martial's a better dribbler that's for sure.

That's the only aspect of his game I would give him over Cavani, however. Martial's all round play (particularly his passing) is pretty poor and largely overlooked because of his ability to dribble at players.

Manya.para.siempre

Don't take one word I said out of context and act like I said that's the only quality he has. If he was just a 'work horse' he wouldn't have had the career he had, and scored the amount of goals he did.

What I was implying is that you can't compare him to RVP, in the sense that RVP could dominate a game from CF, and was the complete striker. That's not Cavani's game, but doesn't mean that he's not a top striker. In fact, Cavani has a lot of the attributes as a no. 9 that we've been missing since RVP left, but RVP was a difference animal altogether that season.
Yeah fair enough, I know what you mean. Perhaps I shouldn’t have quoted your post. I was speaking more in general as some seem to think he’s not a technical player which is untrue if you watch him at his absolute best.

A lot of people seem to forget (or not realise) that he also played as a right winger for many years for both PSG and Uruguay.

Flexdegea

This is one signing I love being totally wrong about.

Thought we were gaining a falcao past it last big payday sort of signing......gained a player who is still quality and is bringing a winning mentality to the team, and setting a high high example to the players.

Top signing.

Man Utd 1:2 Sheffield Utd

Sylar

Why can't the others put the work he does?
It's so frustrating seeing that he's around 10 years older and is running non stop, to get into positions, pulling away defenders and even working back

Martial and Rashford who are younger and quicker should have no excuses

Cavani is a top professional

acnumber9

Came on and fecked up about every touch he had. He worked harder at least but needs to do more than that.,

el3mel

Came on and fecked up about every touch he had. He worked harder at least but needs to do more than that.,
Agree. I like him but he didn't make a single correct touch on the ball. Everything he touched was shit.

Carl S Bridge

Awful and anonymous. At least martial and rashford had a go and got on the ball. Greenwood had a couple of half chances too and was unlucky to go off

RedIan

Didnt happen for him but at least he has movement in the box and works his socks off. He a must start player imo.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Awful and anonymous. At least martial and rashford had a go and got on the ball. Greenwood had a couple of half chances too and was unlucky to go off
:lol:

Martial and Rashford had a go? Give the match another watch and follow those two a bit, then compare their movements in and around the box across the 90 compared to Cavani's. Then you will understand what "effort" means

Devil81

It's hard for a player coming on to a field with another team with 11 men behind the ball, he's also the type of player the needs chances carved out for him and that wasn't happening last night.

In terms of him being rested, he's 33 years of age he will need a rest here and there and last night was the ideal game really. The rest of the team should be stepping up to the plate and seeing teams like Sheff United off.

Idxomer

He's a great professional but not the answer to our attack at this stage of his career.

The target should be to get someone younger who has no problem of providing similar workrate to him and not just stand there watching like the others.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s going to be 34 in few weeks so it’s obviously need to be managed well and the manager was initially right not to start him against Sheffield United despite of lost the match, it’s too bad the others were shit. If we didn’t have Liverpool in FA Cup but instead we have some league two or non league team, he would be starting against Sheffield United and rested in FA Cup. Our FA Cup game is west ham, I expect Cavani to play in all our league games from now and rest in the west ham FA Cup. To me Martial time as no 9 should be up and l think it’s only matter of time before Ole has enough with the guy.

Work his socks off everytime, whether it’s poor or good performance. Constantly moving whether when the team on the ball or in the defensive transition. His determination and hunger are top top level.

jem

Didnt happen for him but at least he has movement in the box and works his socks off. He a must start player imo.
Yeah there were a few occasions where he ran back and hassled Sheffield United players with the ball. Meanwhile Rashford and Martial just strolled around the pitch for 90 minutes.

croadyman

Yeah there were a few occasions where he ran back and hassled Sheffield United players with the ball. Meanwhile Rashford and Martial just strolled around the pitch for 90 minutes.
That last sentence is the biggest problem

Robaldo

The free pass he's getting is infuriating, from the press and the manager :houllier:

An ever so slightly better version of our Falcao.

SeanyC

The free pass he's getting is infuriating, from the press and the manager :houllier:

You’re joking right, and Martial and Rashford getting off Scott free. Cavani deserves to be on that pitch for his work rate alone

slored1

Two big big chances wasted. He needs to score those if we want to win anything.

Idxomer

I think he's been alright, but 5 goals in 20 are far from good enough.

acnumber9

Missed two great chances and it’s annoying but at least he’s getting in those positions. I’d take that over an attacker flouncing about as far away from goal and physical challenges as possible.

el3mel

Oh look, new player joins us, starts really well, then quickly gets infected from our players and starts doing everything bad they're doing.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Oh god here we go.. :lol: stay in the newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.