Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xg for the chances:-

Pogba v Liverpool 0.38

Cavani 2nd chance 0.42

Bruno v Liverpool 0.49

Cavani 1st Chance 0.65

Bizarrely You Claimed Pogbas chance as one that should be scored 9/10.

*Only in the warped reality of the Pogue would you get Pogue arguing - completely seriously - that the chance Cavani missed was actually very difficult to score from* quote

You’ll struggle to find a better chance missed this season than an open goal from the middle of the goal, four yards out. It’s a sitter.

The quality of a chance cannot be determined by how much you like/dislike a player.

Well it can in your head obviously....but not in the real world.
One of the worst football related posts I’ve seen in a long long time, the mass of smilies “cause xG” is most of most stupid football related comments I’ve ever had the pain of reading.

If xG says that second chance is 1 in 4, or easier than Pogba’s, well xG is wrong obviously. Go out, try Cavani’s 20 times, then try Pogba’s 20 times, you’ll quickly figure out how the real World works, fecking stato.

Red00012

I really don’t care what your opinion was. Everyone knew he wasn’t known for being a clinical finisher. Doesn’t change the fact we’ve had many worse misses than that one this season. All teams have.

Considering the goals he has scored already this season Cavani’s contributions in front of goal are far from being an issue we need to worry about.
I Didn’t say Cavani was an issue , he’s been a great signing. I was just commenting on his miss and you saying it was a difficult chance :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
One of the worst things about modern football debates is that some fans watch football using stats instead of their eyes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I always immediately wanna take them all onto the training pitch and say, look fecko, show us why that stat was correct whilst I keep crossing these balls and wetting myself.
Like banging your head on a wall. I just don’t understand how people can’t see that just because Cavani got to the ball before Cedric doesn’t mean that the defender didn’t make it a more difficult chance. Take Cedric out of the picture and Cavani can open his body up and pick his spot. As it turned out, he really only had the near post to aim at. You’d still fancy a top striker to hit the target but that doesn’t make it an easy chance. With hindsight, a flick with the outside of his boot (like his first touch in a United shirt) would have been a better option but it was hit at him so quickly it was just an instinctive finish.

Try and sum all that up in xG!

EDIT: FAO the cheap seats. I’m not saying it was a difficult chance. Just not as easy as some of ye are making out.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
One of the worst football related posts I’ve seen in a long long time, the mass of smilies “cause xG” is most of most stupid football related comments I’ve ever had the pain of reading.

If xG says that second chance is 1 in 4, or easier than Pogba’s, well xG is wrong obviously. Go out, try Cavani’s 20 times, then try Pogba’s 20 times, you’ll quickly figure out how the real World works, fecking stato.
Im not really interested in the second chance to be fair, more the first one and the hypocrite I was responding to....you need to calm down. You’re very aggressive :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Can I ask your opinion, calmly?

removing stats and using your eyes....which is always the best way to judge....

which was the better chance....Cavani’s first or Pogba’s v Liverpool ?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Like banging your head on a wall. I just don’t understand how people can’t see that just because Cavani got to the ball before Cedric doesn’t mean that the defender didn’t make it a more difficult chance. Take Cedric out of the picture and Cavani can open his body up and pick his spot. As it turned out, he really only had the near post to aim at. You’d still fancy a top striker to hit the target but that doesn’t make it an easy chance. With hindsight, a flick with the outside of his boot (like his first touch in a United shirt) would have been a better option but it was hit at him so quickly it was just an instinctive finish.

Try and sum all that up in xG!

EDIT: FAO the cheap seats. I’m not saying it was a difficult chance. Just not as easy as some of ye are making out.
Should be scoring 9/10*quote

RUCK4444

Said yesterday, Cavani’s chance was definitely the easiest chance to score.

He just needs to make one decent connection, you could see in his expression he thought ‘how the feck did I miss that.’

Rashford should have done better but I would say Cavani getting to that ball first makes it a guilt edged chance.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This sums up how fecking stupid xG is as a stat more than anything.

There is absolutely no chance that strikers are popping in Cavani's second chance 4/10; it's ridiculously difficult technique and he's done well to make good contact on it. Just because 4/10 shots from there on the pitch go in doesn't suddenly make the individual chance easy.

The first one is inexcusable though, it's a very poor miss.
How many times out of 10 would you say ? I agree it’s difficult chance by the way and not one I have a problem with him missing, but I’d say the stat supports that. I wouldn’t say it was 1/10 either.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Cavani seems to be good at the stuff I expected him to be bad at (running around) and bad at the stuff I thought he'd be good at (finishing). Might the two be related?

RUCK4444

Can I ask your opinion, calmly?

removing stats and using your eyes....which is always the best way to judge....

which was the better chance....Cavani’s first or Pogba’s v Liverpool ?
Cavani’s chance yesterday?

Easily Cavani’s chance yesterday was easier than Pogs vs Liverpool. Watching the Pogba one back he’s closed down and it’s nowhere near as easy as when we all first saw it.

RUCK4444

Cavani seems to be good at the stuff I expected him to be bad at (running around) and bad at the stuff I thought he'd be good at (finishing). Might the two be related?
He’s always wasted very good chances throughout his career, he is so good with movement that he usually makes up for it by scoring another.

I remember watching a lot of him at PSG a couple of years back and he was missing a shed load of chances.

He’s still class because of his movement and heading ability though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Cavani’s chance yesterday?

Easily Cavani’s chance yesterday was easier than Pogs vs Liverpool. Watching the Pogba one back he’s closed down and it’s nowhere near as easy as when we all first saw it.
Thanks

the hypocrite I was responding to posted in the Pogba thread, that ‘only in the Pogba thread would people be claiming-seriously that his chance was a difficult one to score’.

In this thread he’s claiming an easier chance was difficult :lol: obviously on the basis that he likes the player in this instance and dislikes the player in the first instance. Of course the difficulty of a chance isn’t measured on how much you like a player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thanks

the hypocrite I was responding to posted in the Pogba thread, that ‘only in the Pogba thread would people be claiming-seriously that his chance was a difficult one to score’.

In this thread he’s claiming an easier chance was difficult :lol: obviously on the basis that he likes the player in this instance and dislikes the player in the first instance. Of course the difficulty of a chance isn’t measured on how much you like a player.
I know I’m going to regret taking you off ignore (and you’ll probably go back on shortly) but I couldn’t help myself. Seeing as you’re dishing out insults (in between shit-posting with green smilies and xG) you should probably quote the post of mine where I said that Cavani’s first chance was difficult.

In your own time...

Swiss_Red89

Should have scored at least one of his chances, no doubt about it.

His workrate is absolutely brilliant, i admire him for that, Martial and Rashford can learn a thing or two about it.

Have to say, as i expected, his finishing is a bit inconsistent. He was always like that when i saw him play. Could regularly go from worldclass finishes to bad misses.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This has always been the case.

macheda14

He's always been a one in three striker where the phrase 'makes something out of nothing and nothing out of something' is fitting.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I know I’m going to regret taking you off ignore (and you’ll probably go back on shortly) but I couldn’t help myself. Seeing as you’re dishing out insults (in between shit-posting with green smilies and xG) you should probably quote the post of mine where I said that Cavani’s first chance was difficult.

In your own time...
[/QUOTE

Feck me. Turning on Cavani after missing those two chances comes close to a new caf low. Bruno and Poga missed decent chances against Liverpool. That’s what a bad miss looks like. Cavani’s misses today weren’t even close to being as easy. I doubt they’d even make the top 10 of easy misses already this season.
Do what you want you melt :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he's done generally well, far better than I expected him so far, but judging by the comments here you can see many people hardly ever even watched him before. I mean, we've had many people describing him as a player with great technical ability.

Games like yesterday's are copy of Cavani's carreer, with one goal or two goals scored betweeen those misses, and of course some games where he doesn't score like yesterday. His movement is probably one of the best you'll see, he has good striking technique, and has a good nose for goal, but his finishing rate has always been quite bad and annoying, especially because he gets into many good chances. He is also not that good in his all around game, but we've seen that so far at United too, but for some reason some people haven't acknowledged that, despite him making many first touches that Lukaku would be proud of.

At his best he has been world class version of Chicharito, IMO, which is quite good though, but definitely not someone some here thought he is.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't think that Cavanis first chance was as easy as people think. It came at him so quick and the angle he was running he would of had to hit it with the outside of his right boot to have any chance of scoring. He just couldn't get his foot around it enough. He maybe would of had more chance hitting it with his left which would of took the ball towards the goal on a more natural angle.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
First chance is a sitter. Cedric conditions his positioning, ball has pace and a tricky bounce, but you would expect him to score from it.

Anyone saying the second is a bad miss needs his head checked. That's usually not even a chance and we could have some fun watching you all 1. try to hit that ball, 2. get it to even move towards goal, let alone score from it.

People discussing Pogba/Bruno vs Liverpool and these against Arsenal need to take a break from running down players to defend others.

There's only one glaringly obvious conclusion: we don't create enough chances, if you only get 1-2 chances to score a game you will often leave the pitch empty handed. Football, eh?

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
This was my opinion of him when we announced the signing of him.

You need to look at it again , he’s 1st to the ball any power directed towards the goal and it’s a certain goal . Cedric isn’t blocking it. He’s connected with the ball poorly and it’s a bad miss
I'm pretty sure you are dead wrong.

1. Run the video in slowmotion and look at the angle of Cavanis foot when he hits the ball. For a few milliseconds you can see that the ball is heading towards the right corner of the goal before it hits Cedrics foot.
2. The angle of Cedrics foot is consistent with the trajectory of the ball.
3. Exactly when Cavanis foot is hitting the ball Cedric is putting forward his right foot and you can see that the ball suddenly is picking up speed just an eyeblink later. The speed change is a clue since Cavani obviously is just trying to stear the ball with very little force. Yet the ball is almost hammered to the side of the post.
4. I do not think the ball is especially close to hitting Leno. And even if Leno had touched the ball with the slightest of touches the ref would have a hard time picking it up. All the players close to the situation instantly recognizes it it is a corner.

EDIT: In before anyone posts anything else. I may have to eat humble pie since I got an angle from behind and it sure looks like Cavani connects badly in that angle. It seems like the speed is picked up by the ball hitting his heel.

Last edited:

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
Games like yesterday's are copy of Cavani's carreer, with one goal or two goals scored betweeen those misses, and of course some games where he doesn't score like yesterday.
90 goals in 107 starts (10 subs) for Napoli
102 Goals in 114 starts (15 subs) for PSG when playing cf
23 goals in 30 CL games (4 subs) for PSG/Napoli when playing cf

Yeah you should aim for a guy that is a proven goalscorer instead. It is fine to claim that Cavani is not the player he used to be but he has always been pure class and have never had a bad season except maybe for the last season with PSG (where he still scored a goal every 146 th minute) when he was injured a lot and faced the competition of the two most expensive footballers ever. Maybe he has missed a chance or two in his career but if everything here about his wastefulness in front of goal was true his goalscoring record would mean that he is the best player in the world setting himself up for chances.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Compilation of his biggest misses by cavani himself. He knows he should be scoring them

Sir Marcus

First chance is a sitter. Cedric conditions his positioning, ball has pace and a tricky bounce, but you would expect him to score from it.

Anyone saying the second is a bad miss needs his head checked. That's usually not even a chance and we could have some fun watching you all 1. try to hit that ball, 2. get it to even move towards goal, let alone score from it.

People discussing Pogba/Bruno vs Liverpool and these against Arsenal need to take a break from running down players to defend others.

There's only one glaringly obvious conclusion: we don't create enough chances, if you only get 1-2 chances to score a game you will often leave the pitch empty handed. Football, eh?

Nail on the head!

Compilation of his biggest misses by cavani himself. He knows he should be scoring them

Love this! Great attitude.

Im not really interested in the second chance to be fair, more the first one and the hypocrite I was responding to....you need to calm down. You’re very aggressive :lol:
:lol:

Some people let football work them up so much! Definitely need to try and not let it effect you so much in the post SAF days as theres going to be plenty of ups and downs!

Raven

I really hope Martial rediscovers his form soon because Cavani isn't good enough to be our starting striker. He's a good option against certain teams and will always be a threat from the bench but he doesn't offer enough over the course of a game unfortunately.

RUCK4444

I really hope Martial rediscovers his form soon because Cavani isn't good enough to be our starting striker. He's a good option against certain teams and will always be a threat from the bench but he doesn't offer enough over the course of a game unfortunately.
Martial wouldn’t have even been on the end of the chances Cavani missed this season.

He doesn’t make the runs AT ALL. Not to mention I’ve not seen a striker miss as many guilt edged chances as Martial has this season.

An old Cavani still offers much more than Martial right now, which tells you everything you need to know when debating if Martial is good enough for Man Utd.

Raven

Martial wouldn’t have even been on the end of the chances Cavani missed this season.

He doesn’t make the runs AT ALL. Not to mention I’ve not seen a striker miss as many guilt edged chances as Martial has this season.

An old Cavani still offers much more than Martial right now, which tells you everything you need to know when debating if Martial is good enough for Man Utd.
It seems you've totally ignored the bit where I said I hope he rediscovers his form. Martial in his current form is inferior to Cavani but last season Martial is miles better than Cavani.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Nail on the head!

Love this! Great attitude.

:lol:

Some people let football work them up so much! Definitely need to try and not let it effect you so much in the post SAF days as theres going to be plenty of ups and downs!
He hasn’t responded. I’m guessing he’s just a big fan of the poster I questioned :lol:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Am I the only one that finds this hilarious?

It's like taking the piss out of yourself before everyone else can.

RuudTom83

Forwards miss so-called easy chances all the time...it’s not unusual.

But generally I would like to see him used as an early sub for a few games, the super-sub role suits him well I feel.

RUCK4444

It seems you've totally ignored the bit where I said I hope he rediscovers his form. Martial in his current form is inferior to Cavani but last season Martial is miles better than Cavani.
It’s not form with Martial it’s attitude and desire, he lacks both.

He had a decent season last year which has been an anomaly rather than the norm in his time here.

I’m done with him, I’d rather play one of the kids who have enough about them to at least run for the shirt.

I don’t know why anybody wants to see him in a United shirt again to be completely honest. I’d happily sell him tomorrow for a player who has a real desire to give their all for the club and it’s fans.

Raven

It’s not form with Martial it’s attitude and desire, he lacks both.

He had a decent season last year which has been an anomaly rather than the norm in his time here.

I’m done with him, I’d rather play one of the kids who have enough about them to at least run for the shirt.

I don’t know why anybody wants to see him in a United shirt again to be completely honest. I’d happily sell him tomorrow for a player who has a real desire to give their all for the club and it’s fans.
I don't want to derail this thread but I have to heavily disagree with all of your points. My main point is that Cavani can't be our starting striker if we want to win things because he doesn't do the basics well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.