View full 2020-21 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the ban was a total disgrace to be honest - Ole did back him publicly we just knew there was zero point contesting it with the FA. The pandemic has probably made it super tough for him and his family settling in - hopefully the better weather and more things opening up can convince him. Part of me does think maybe the intensity is contributing to his injuries and he’s thinking going to South America now could prolong his career.
Yeah I didn’t think about that, easy to forget when you’ve never had a lockdown, but no restaurants, bars, schools, cafes or even easy family visits and holidays must have made it a very tough year to settle in. :( Much harder for family to make friends also.
And the ridiculous fixture list won’t have helped his niggles so yeah, good chance you are on the right tracks there.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve been critical at times particularly in the face of the narrative that he proves we need a ‘proper CF’ but without a doubt he was exceptional today. Great movement, lovely finishes but more importantly his hold up today was the best in a Utd shirt, with some sharp interplay and great passes. Too often he’s been poor at that element recently but very good today.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cavani really found himself today. Not just in terms of the goal, which was classic him, but his all round performance was a huge improvement on recent showings. Worked hard, mucked in, used the ball well at feet and was always a danger when we had the ball in the final third. After recent matches, where he's played IMO like his mind is already in Argentina, this was a very pleasant surprise. Whatever happens in the summer I hope it carries on until the season finishes.
Cavani simply doesn't work like that. He may as well have a signed contract with Boca and play that way.

There's three explanations:
1) Fitness
2) Space
3) Most important: associates. Pogba was on fire, we were less Bruno dependent and Greenwood has clearly worked on/with him more than others.

What a dive for the header, he instinctively knew Greenwood would cross and made a movement, i was watching and didn't expect Greenwood would cross it first time.
Both did.

Look at Greenwood in the pitch level replay. The moment Bruno passes he looks up briefly, spots him, and starts positioning to get that cross in ASAP.

That's the beauty when your partners know where you will be next, makes it all look so simple. Unexpected to you and the defenders, but not to them, not at all.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Look at Greenwood in the pitch level replay. The moment Bruno passes he looks up briefly, spots him, and starts positioning to get that cross in ASAP.

That's the beauty when your partners know where you will be next, makes it all look so simple. Unexpected to you and the defenders, but not to them, not at all.
:eek: p..p...p....p..patterns of play?

CM10

I think the Spurs game was possibly his best game in a United shirt so far. Robbed of the goal in the first half by that awful VAR decision, but played well generally before getting his goal (what a header) and stopping one at the other end late on. He makes himself counted in big moments.

Last edited:

antohan

Very disappointed they didn't show his archery celebration.
They've been avoiding it ever since he explained it's a homage to his daughter India, named as a homage to our native indians, the same ones our national team is nicknamed after...

Broadcasters probably think that's racist too or FA told them to avoid it so they don't have to grapple with the notion. Feckwits.

antohan

Heck we re Manchester United. Surely we can just bring South America to England for him? Build a biodome around his house, plant some tropical plants, build a little wave pool with a beach.
Uruguay is as tropical as Sicily

markhughes

His movement today was first class, it has been a long time since we had a forward with that particular ability. It’s absolutely crucial that our next CF is a top level striker as the difference it made to us today was unbelievable.

jem

I know. He’s been terrible there. He’s a wide forward. Unconvincing as a 9.

Greenwood has a better shout of being our 9 than Henderson does of being our No1. People need to back him. He’s brilliant.
This year hasn't been great, but Martial was very good there last season.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great performance from him. Probably our only true center forward (ignoring greenwood as he is still developing).

Teja

:eek: p..p...p....p..patterns of play?
:lol: :lol:

Anyway, still think he's class. Disappears a bit when the attack isn't firing - he's not someone like RvP or Rooney who can just take the game by the scruff of its neck and get you goals but if others are playing well around him he'll get one / two goal scoring chances every game.

Really liked his link up play too, some neat passes under pressure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His off the ball movement is just brilliant, the burst of pace in small pockets of space to lose his marker, or always trying to get into blind side of the defenders is so good. Hopefully our young players learn a thing or 2 training with him, especially how he moves and how he picks his moments.

His diving headers is one of the most beautiful moment in the game, he has already done it twice this season and plenty of times in his career.

Andersons Dietician

The bit of movement on the Fred goal was brilliant. He recognised what’s happening from a mile off and instinctively got on side and in space. Heck his first goal that was disallowed was fantastic too.

I think I was maybe more impressed with the little things he did. Martial and Rashford have this habit of delaying stuff. Cavani was getting it and moving it on straight away. Even if it was just going back to where it was. So simple yet effective.

Then the header on to the post, that was crucial and I think he won a few defensive headers. I really liked as well that he is a proper teacher. Few times this season after Mason makes say a poor choice he is always gesturing to him what he should have done. Yes most of it looks like pass it to me, but still. Yesterday Mason took a shot, Cavani is in a great position and after he is gesturing to Mason. Later same positioning Mason plays the ball in Cavani scores.

A few things I guess. They reckon he felt a little let down that no-one at the club backed him for the insta post, his family may be struggling settling into a Manchester/Cheshire lifestyle after years in Uruguay, Italy and France and feel it's not worth the resettlement pains for a short two year spell.

He's also had a stop start season which has likely been frustrating for him. Hopefully a cracking end to the season will sway him.
It was also a perfect game for him. Tottenham had no control in midfield and Pogba and Bruno were dragging them all over the place leaving huge spaces for Cavani to move into. He's always trying to do that but Spurs let him go wherever he wanted to - look how much space he was finding in the 6 yard box for every opportunity.

He's had two really great games here, this one and against Southampton. I don't think we can read into this game showing he's back, or he's better settled in now, or anything like that. It was simply a game that fitted his style.

Roux

I know people will talk about his goal and movement (and rightly so), but i thought his build up play was incredible - when the ball was played into him, he once-touch passed it and made a run in behind - made such a huge difference to our attacking speed. Felt like he never wasted a second on the ball - this is something Martial and Rashford have to do better with.

MetoTTT

His movement off the ball out and in the box is pure class, one touch football in the build up. His work rate is outstanding. A proper 9. I wish we signed him 4-6 years ago. Hope he will stay the next season, can stay fit and we'll go for CDM, CB (at least).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His movement off the ball out and in the box is pure class, one touch football in the build up. His work rate is outstanding. A proper 9. I wish we signed him 4-6 years ago. Hope he will stay the next season, can stay fit and we'll go for CDM, CB (at least).
We'd need to spend a fortune to get a younger version of Cavani. And if there's one available. Good no. 9 with attribute like him is a dying breed. Ideally, we need at least another 2 years filling up the gap, until Greendwood is 100% ready to lead the line.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was incredible.

I did not think he had that level of performance still in him.

thepolice123

I thought he absolutely destroyed Dier with his movement. He attacked Dier's blindside the entire game. The first 3 goals (including the disallowed one) were all results of him running behind Dier.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've said it before but he reminds me so much of Tevez, which is probably why I like him as much as I do.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I hope El Matador sticks around for another season. Hopefully the players are making it difficult for him to want to go just yet.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he won't be fully happy in United next year, at some point we're risking similar situation to Falcao & Di Maria.

We'll need 100% functional and focused striker, preferably free of injury complications.

lex talionis

I hope we can get another season out of Cavani. If nothing else, he deserves to play in front of the greatest fans on the planet.

Sylar

His movement for the disallowed goal, the movement for Freds goal and the movement for his eventual goal was just fantastic.
The hold up and build up play was great too.

Its such a shame he hasnt played in front of our fans.

The diving header was beautiful.

thepolice123

Anyone saw him applauding and encouraging Greenwood after he took a shot from outside the box? It was a pretty poor effort and Greenwood should really be looking to cross from that position. The next moment Greenwood had the ball at the same position, he delivered an inch perfect cross to him.

Refreshing sight as opposed to the serial moaners like Rooney and Berbatov.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm pretty gutted about the prospect of him not being here next season :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It will be a bit of a travesty if he never played in front of a packed Old Trafford. He’s definitely the type of player you want to see live to understand his movement and pressing. OT would love him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It will be a bit of a travesty if he never played in front of a packed Old Trafford. He’s definitely the type of player you want to see live to understand his movement and pressing. OT would love him.
Is there any prospect of the last couple of games of the season being in front of at least some fans? Or are they only having fans again when all the restrictions are lifted in June?

thepolice123

He has already scored two 80+mins winners and a stoppage time winner. His overall package as a player coupled with his winning desire and passion for football, they would absolutely cream themselves.

Devil81

Just read that Tabarez has asked him to stay another season. What is your take on this? @antohan
Is that his agent?

I'd imagine United are desperate for him to stay so that they can concentrate on strengthening other key areas. If he goes then it throws a huge spanner in the works.

thepolice123

Is that his agent?

I'd imagine United are desperate for him to stay so that they can concentrate on strengthening other key areas. If he goes then it throws a huge spanner in the works.
No that's the Uruguay national team manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.