6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Everyone said the same about Zlatan, it’s nonsense, all strikers miss plenty, people just focus on them too much at their own club.
You’re right. Messi and Ronaldo both miss sitters. Getting intonpositions and scoring regularly is the hard job. Cavani looked like he should have had a hat trick, but the ball took a wobble just before he struck it. It happens.

atkar83

I remember when there would be 'Over-rated players' threads in years past, Cavani's name would often be in it multiple times. Is there any reason why? He seems pretty clinical, and his passing and effort is up there too.

I remember when there would be 'Over-rated players' threads in years past, Cavani's name would often be in it multiple times. Is there any reason why? He seems pretty clinical, and his passing and effort is up there too.
spent his best years in France. Not saying that’s right, but that’s why he would have been on those lists.

The United

Everyone said the same about Zlatan, it’s nonsense, all strikers miss plenty, people just focus on them too much at their own club.
It is not nonsense. Top strikers do miss chances. Both he and Zlatan were great strikers at their peak but a level below top striker level for me. I just don't rate them that high.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He still misses too many chances for a top-class striker.

But, like people said, hopefully, the likes of Greenwood will learn how to play a CF from him. If he gets some of it with his finishing, Greenwood can be a super player.
Meh, that's overrated. Top class strikers have always got their name for finding their way into chances rather than being consistently clinical.
  • Cavani in the league since 14/15 - 130 goals from 135.99xG (96%)
  • Ronaldo - 211 goals from 205.45 xG (102%)
  • Lewandowski - 198 goals from 195.45 xG (101%) (finally got above 100% this season, was always below his xG before it)

Idxomer

Almost perfect the full 90 minutes, best individual performance this season.

bosnian_red

Will be shit if he goes. I love Greenwood and he'll be a striker long term IMO. But he's not ready for that yet, another year would do him wonders.

The United

Meh, that's overrated. Top class strikers have always got their name for finding their way into chances rather than being consistently clinical.
  • Lewandowski - 198 goals from 195.45 xG (101%) (finally got above 100% this season, was always below his xG before it)
How do they do in competitions like CL btw?

Just curious because the other two were playing in some of the best leagues while Cavani were playing in you know what league.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Where do you find these stats, btw? Would love to see how other players fair under the same metric.

bosnian_red

How do they do in competitions like CL btw?

Just curious because the other two were playing in some of the best leagues while Cavani were playing in you know what league.
Not sure, just checked on understat but they only track league performances. Anyway, xG/actual goal differences shouldn't change too much. The vast majority play very close to their xG over time (Messi one of the only one's who outperforms it by like 15-20%, but Ronaldo/Lewandowski are all within a few % basically). What will change is the quantity of xG they get per 90 against different competition or in different teams, which makes sense.

jesperjaap

Funny all these comments now. I remember when we were about to sign him everybody was saying he was over the hill, injury prone, evern over rated and couldnt be an effective starter for the majority of premier league sides when I suggested he would be one of the best five centre forwards in the league. I admit I too was against signing him as wanted a longer term signing and didnt think we would make use of his aerial presence in the box which to a degree we havent, but anybody surprised by his quality cant have seen him at Napoli or PSG before they made all the galatico signings and he got shunted out wide.
To a lesser degree, feel same about Thiago Silva, these are two of the best players in there respective positions over the last 10-15years, no surprise even past there peaks they are performing at a high level still when fit the majority of the time.

bosnian_red

Where do you find these stats, btw? Would love to see how other players fair under the same metric.
Understat is good for league, 538soccer tracks it and gives team ratings and does projections, FBref partnered with statsbomb this year and have everything way more in depth and you can see player score cards in terms of their percentile across all players around the top 5 leagues and major european competition. Understat and 538 soccer I use for quick checks on ratings/SPI rankings/xG timelines of games, FBref mainly just to see how a player has done on a more detailed level.

The United

Not sure, just checked on understat but they only track league performances. Anyway, xG/actual goal differences shouldn't change too much. The vast majority play very close to their xG over time (Messi one of the only one's who outperforms it by like 15-20%, but Ronaldo/Lewandowski are all within a few % basically). What will change is the quantity of xG they get per 90 against different competitions or in different teams, which makes sense.
That's what I want to know.

I don't mean that he is shit. Just that hope our kids learn from him more with getting chances.

Didn't happen with Zlatan.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Understat is good for league, 538soccer tracks it and gives team ratings and does projections, FBref partnered with statsbomb this year and have everything way more in depth and you can see player score cards in terms of their percentile across all players around the top 5 leagues and major european competition. Understat and 538 soccer I use for quick checks on ratings/SPI rankings/xG timelines of games, FBref mainly just to see how a player has done on a more detailed level.
Appreciate that, thank you. Will check them out now!

jesperjaap

Pressure is on for whoever is our next striker. At least he broke the no.7 curse
Yes, I thought DiMaria and SAnchez could fill the shirt as both are obviously quality players, to be fair the rest of the players given the shirt after Ronaldo simply were not good enough for it, with the exception of Michael Owen....if it had of been 10years earlier that is

Funny all these comments now. I remember when we were about to sign him everybody was saying he was over the hill, injury prone, evern over rated and couldnt be an effective starter for the majority of premier league sides when I suggested he would be one of the best five centre forwards in the league.
Clap yourself on the back again pal, enjoy your self appreciation.
Plenty of us said the said, so it wasn’t everyone, just a portion of the muppets gutted we didn’t get Sancho and lashing out, was always a very shrewd signing for a squad that had no number 9 in it.

Well it makes no difference does it? If he gets 5 chances in France per game cause defensives are shit and scores 2, he has a poor xG.
If he then gets 0 chances in the CL and scores 0, nothing happens.
You’re either clinical or you’re not and the stats suggest he’s right up there with the best.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Greenwood is learning a lot from him.

bosnian_red

I don't mean that he is shit. Just that hope our kids learn from him more with getting chances.

Didn't happen with Zlatan.
Cavani specifically is at 0.62 xG/90 mins this season in the league, which is quite good. Drop off from PsG though. Last season had 1.42 (only 500 mins), 0.83-84/90 the 2 seasons before.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Exactly what Falcao and Sanchez should have been for United. Great performance. Same again for the final please.

The United

Well it makes no difference does it? If he gets 5 chances in France per game cause defensives are shit and scores 2, he has a poor xG.
If he then gets 0 chances in the CL and scores 0, nothing happens.
You’re either clinical or you’re not and the stats suggest he’s right up there with the best.
Because the way I see it is that in the similar xG situations, would it count against a defender or a goalkeeper outperforms whatever expected stats they would in better competition/leagues?

Like let's say against De Gea from 2015-2018 form against De Gae from 2020 - ?

PaulScholes99

His two assists and the first goal were just perfect. Second goal a goal we need to see from our number 9. Missed a few chances but all in all 10/10, incredible performance.

Trex

Cavani proves my point about not prioritizing a number nine, if we create those poacher chances he'll score, if not he wouldn't and same with Haaland, hence we need to go for a creator and keep Cavani, so when Cavani leaves his replacement won't find it so difficult playing center forward for united.

jesperjaap

Clap yourself on the back again pal, enjoy your self appreciation.
Plenty of us said the said, so it wasn’t everyone, just a portion of the muppets gutted we didn’t get Sancho and lashing out, was always a very shrewd signing for a squad that had no number 9 in it.
I think without quoting you exactly, that saying the guy he is replacing (Ighalo) is hardly ROnaldo so if it turns out Cavani is wank he still improves the squad isnt really such a ringing endorsement of signing him in all honesty

The United

Kane is at 0.64, this season, peak of 0.78 in 17/18 and low of 0.46 in 19/20. Vary at 0.64 as well. 0.6 is pretty elite goalscoring numbers for the premier league generally.
Does the quantity of chances matter in the way they count? Like .64 based on 25 chances and .64 based on 30 chances?

I am not saying that Cavani is shit. I just try to get more information about xG. Sorry though if I give you a bit of trouble as this is not exactly xG discussion thread.

Because the way I see it is that in the similar xG situations, would it count against a defender or a goalkeeper outperforms whatever expected stats they would in better competition/leagues?

Like let's say against De Gea from 2015-2018 form against De Gae from 2020 - ?
Fair enough, but the likes of Harry Kane played against peak De Gea just twice a season, the majority of games are against the like of Jordan Pickford, Martin Dubravka & Aaron Ramsdale.

As expected, bosnian has shown that Cavani is scoring/missing chances at a similar rate to Harry Kane since he came to the Prem. All strikers miss, it’s getting the chances that is difficult.

Wheato

He's still got it. We need to keep him. Things will get better when the Covid rules are relaxed. He hasn't seen the best of this country. Hasn't kicked a ball in front of the fans. One more season and Mason will be ready.

The United

Fair enough, but the likes of Harry Kane played against peak De Gea just twice a season, the majority of games are against the like of Jordan Pickford, Martin Dubravka & Aaron Ramsdale.

As expected, bosnian has shown that Cavani is scoring/missing chances at a similar rate to Harry Kane since he came to the Prem. All strikers miss, it’s getting the chances that is difficult.
When I said, he misses, sometimes, he didn't even connect the ball a few times in the same game from crosses.

Now, I am not saying top strikers do not miss or he is shit.

Just that he seems to have pretty much everything as a CF and my expectation on his finishing chances (with his feet) was a bit high. So, it is more like I am a bit overrating him myself.

And, still, you would find better keepers in PL/CL than in the French league or Europa.

Status
Not open for further replies.