Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leethal

Fitness is a question yes.
But rigid and one dimensional? Clearly you haven’t watched him. His off the ball movement and running the channels is great. He’s also played wing lots. So rigid and one dimensional he is not
I've watched him plenty. 5 years ago? Sure. I'd take him in a heartbeat, as he was once a good player

I just don't hold any hope at all for him at this point in time. Let's not kid ourselves here: He's 33 years old and coming back off two injury plagued seasons in the low intensity farmers league, whilst not playing football for 7 months; (in the mean time contracting Covid and legging it back to Uruguay to work on a farm whilst contemplating retirement as no team of worth wanted anything to do with him -- until Ed and co came riding in to try to salvage our shitty transfer window).

He's not going to be "running channels" or hitting the ground running any time soon in the high intensity physically demanding premier league. If at all.

Abysmal signing, and typifies our club of the past few years, really. Cavani and his agent must be high fiving and slapping their cocks at the number they've pulled on us.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I dont care if some of it is designed to make us fans feel better but Im def more excited about the potential of this one. As I mentioned before - ideally he would have come here years ago as a RvP replacement. It does feel a bit desperate... BUT..

Even if he puts in half the work they re all saying we can expect from the man - then there is no reason not to be excited. Work rate has been a major problem for us for years now so if he can whip the lads into gear then that alone is worth a ton. Weve seen what our front line and mids *can* do when theyre motivated.

Leethal

He can look like a pub player at times. Inzaghi-esque in that sense.
But his numbers don't lie:
  • 105 goals for Napoli (best goals to games ratio in Napoli history)
  • PSG's all time top goalscorer (200 goals)
  • 49 CL & EL goals from 81 games combined
  • 50 goals from 116 games for Uruguay (scored at 3 World Cups)
  • 403 career goals
Nobody is denying he was once a great player.

But so was Schweinsteiger, and so was Falcao. Falcao was much younger, and coming off a serious injury, though, I'll give him that. Since leaving he's done quite well. Cavani is in worse footballing shape coming in to our team than Basti, and that's saying something.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We don't play a system that necessitates this type of striker. We moved away from the stereotypical big man that holds the ball up, when we sold Lukaku and moved Martial up top. We seemed to be trying to build a fluid interchangeable front line, but then we go and buy a 33 year old sick-note that hasn't played in 7 months, who is as rigid and one dimensional as they come.

To be honest, I think Ole had nothing at all to do with this transfer. This reeks of Woodward and the other clowns trying to placate the fans, by bringing in what they perceive as an iconic and legendary player on a free. Let me repeat: He's 33 years old, was contemplating retirement, hasn't played in 7 months, and when he did play was utter dog shit with far better players around him, in a far less competitive league.

This is as underwhelming signing as we could possibly make. Our new number 7 :lol:
Cavani isn't a stereotypical big man who holds the ball up. He broke through for the national team on the right wing often interchanging with Forlan, he most recently played in a fluid attack with Mbappe and Neymar, and throughout his career he has been recognised for covering a lot of ground and a lot of spaces. In other words you've looked at his height and made up the rest.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I've watched him plenty. 5 years ago? Sure. I'd take him in a heartbeat, as he was once a good player

I just don't hold any hope at all for him at this point in time. Let's not kid ourselves here: He's 33 years old and coming back off two injury plagued seasons in the low intensity farmers league, whilst not playing football for 7 months; (in the mean time contracting Covid and legging it back to Uruguay to work on a farm whilst contemplating retirement as no team of worth wanted anything to do with him -- until Ed and co came riding in to try to salvage our shitty transfer window).

He's not going to be "running channels" or hitting the ground running any time soon in the high intensity physically demanding premier league. If at all.

Abysmal signing, and typifies our club of the past few years, really. Cavani and his agent must be high fiving and slapping their cocks at the number they've pulled on us.
Last season yes but the season before that he scored 23 goals in 33 games. Not bad for injury plagued season.

Leethal

Cavani isn't a stereotypical big man who holds the ball up. He broke through for the national team on the right wing, he most recently played in a fluid attack with Mbappe and Neymar, and throughout his career he has been recognised for covering a lot of ground and a lot of spaces. In other words you've looked at his height and made up the rest.
Absolutely not.

I've looked at his age and his physical shape, (seeing he hasn't played football in 7 months and spent recent history recovering from covid on a farm in Uruguay, contemplating retirement as nobody worth a shit was interested in him as he's just come off two injury plagued seasons in the twilight of his career), and come to the conclusion he won't be up to par in the physically demanding Premier League. Not even close.

Also, he's not exactly a giant, so that kinda ruins your theory on what I'm supposedly thinking.

pratyush_utd

I dont care if some of it is designed to make us fans feel better but Im def more excited about the potential of this one. As I mentioned before - ideally he would have come here years ago as a RvP replacement. It does feel a bit desperate... BUT..

Even if he puts in half the work they re all saying we can expect from the man - then there is no reason not to be excited. Work rate has been a major problem for us for years now so if he can whip the lads into gear then that alone is worth a ton. Weve seen what our front line and mids *can* do when theyre motivated.
Don't disagree with that guy assessment that we need characters. Cavani can provide that. Plus only last season he was injured. Before that he has been scoring goals despite not playing centrally

Leethal

Last season yes but the season before that he scored 23 goals in 33 games. Not bad for injury plagued season.
He's playing in the Uber eats league with Mbappe, Neymar and co feeding him into dog shit opposition. Also, he's not gotten any younger or improved physically. He's regressed, if anything. And now he's expected to be up to par to compete in the most intense league in the world? Yeah, ok.

pratyush_utd

Absolutely not.

I've looked at his age and his physical shape, (seeing he hasn't played football in 7 months and spent recent history recovering from covid on a farm in Uruguay, contemplating retirement as nobody worth a shit was interested in him as he's just come off two injury plagued seasons in the twilight of his career), and come to the conclusion he won't be up to par in the physically demanding Premier League. Not even close.

Also, he's not exactly a giant, so that kinda ruins your theory on what I'm supposedly thinking.
VDB also didn't play for 7 months before we signed him. Not sure why Covid or 7 months off is a problem for Cavani. Not like he has been injured for 7 month or recovering from some major injury.

Brwned

Absolutely not.

That has literally nothing to do with what I've said. You commented on his style of play. Throughout his career he never played like that. He hasn't suddenly started playing like that in the last 18 months, nor have you seen him over that period. You've just invented some facts based on his injury record. I wonder if you even watched him at Napoli. A stereotypical target man ffs.

pratyush_utd

He's playing in the Uber eats league with Mbappe, Neymar and co feeding him into dog shit opposition. Also, he's not gotten any younger or improved physically. He's regressed, if anything. And now he's expected to be up to par to compete in the most intense league in the world? Yeah, ok.
You mentioned injury ravaged season, i replied he played 33 times and scored 23 goals despite not playing centrally. Now you have issue where the goals were scored.

Leethal

VDB also didn't play for 7 months before we signed him. Not sure why Covid or 7 months off is a problem for Cavani. Not like he has been injured for 7 month or recovering from some major injury.
No, Cavani just did that for the two years preceding the 7 month lay off.

SeasonInjuryfromuntilDaysGames missed
19/20groin strainJan 13, 2020Jan 30, 202017 days5
19/20Muscle InjuryDec 17, 2019Dec 30, 201913 days2
19/20IllDec 12, 2019Dec 16, 20194 days1
19/20Calf InjuryDec 6, 2019Dec 10, 20194 days1
19/20FitnessSep 19, 2019Oct 17, 201928 days5
19/20Hip InjuryAug 26, 2019Oct 17, 201952 days8
18/19RestApr 29, 2019May 1, 20192 days1
18/19FitnessApr 5, 2019Apr 5, 20190 days-
18/19Muscle InjuryMar 10, 2019Apr 4, 201925 days4
18/19Hamstring InjuryFeb 10, 2019Mar 3, 201921 days6
18/19Hamstring InjuryOct 26, 2018Nov 4, 20189 days2
18/19Muscle InjuryJul 1, 2018Aug 21, 201851 days3

Leethal

You mentioned injury ravaged season, i replied he played 33 times and scored 23 goals despite not playing centrally. Now you have issue where the goals were scored.
Bojan scored 800 goals for Barcelona youth team, and could barely find the net for fecking Stoke.

So yeah, I'd say your opponents where you score your goals holds some significance.

Leethal

That has literally nothing to do with what I've said. You commented on his style of play. Throughout his career he never played like that. He hasn't suddenly started playing like that in the last 18 months, nor have you seen him over that period. You've just invented some facts based on his injury record. I wonder if you even watched him at Napoli. A stereotypical target man ffs.
Nope, did not watch him when he was a spring chicken at Napoli.

Watched him at PSG, though. And I won't lie, he had great movement and ran around a lot.

But he's now 33, after an injury hit couple of seasons, and a large layoff. I don't expect him to be running around like a madman anymore, do you?

And you are right in the fact I haven't watched him over the past 18 months, as has anyone. Because he's barely kicked a ball in that time.

pratyush_utd

Bojan scored 800 goals for Barcelona youth team, and could barely find the net for fecking Stoke.

So yeah, I'd say your opponents where you score your goals holds some significance.
I don't have anything to respond for that.

I feel you have never seen him play and just looked at few stats and made up your mind. Can't change that

Leethal

I don't have anything to respond for that.

I feel you have never seen him play and just looked at few stats and made up your mind. Can't change that
His goal scoring stats are phenomenal, though? Doesn't that contradict your narrative?

Brwned

Nope, did not watch him when he was a spring chicken at Napoli.

Watched him at PSG, though. And I won't lie, he had great movement and ran around a lot.

But he's now 33, after an injury hit couple of seasons, and a large layoff. I don't expect him to be running around like a madman anymore, do you?

And you are right in the fact I haven't watched him over the past 18 months, as has anyone. Because he's barely kicked a ball in that time.
Ok, so we're agreed, you made up a description of him despite not seeing him in the last 18 months, and when you did see him before, he played nothing like you described.

Yes, I expect him to play like he has played throughout his career, with some minor adjustments. People don't just become stereotypical target men when they become less mobile. It's an actual style of play that requires different skills and a different vision of the game, as opposed to being a step down from fluid attacker that you can just settle into when you're declining.

I'll leave you to carry on with the rest of the hysterics.

Leethal

Ok, so we're agreed, you made up a description of him despite not seeing him in the last 18 months, and when you did see him before, he played nothing like you described.

Yes, I expect him to play like he has played throughout his career, with some minor adjustments. People don't just become stereotypical target men when they become less mobile. It's an actual style of play that requires different skills and a different vision of the game, as opposed to being a step down from fluid attacker that you can just settle into when you're declining.

I'll leave you to carry on with the rest of the hysterics.
Hysterics? Because I vocally disagree with the direction our club is heading, by trying to placate the fans with this dog-shit last minute desperation signing after all our other signings fell through? I'm not going to sit here and circle-jerk about our clubs direction, when I so vehemently disagree with it. This signing epitomises everything that has been wrong with United, post Fergie. Obviously, it's not Cavani's fault. Who could blame him? A final pay day, after contemplating hanging up your boots, because nobody else of worth wants you? Of course he's going to snap our hands off.

Also, I don't disagree that a target man requires different skill sets, obviously. I am just of the opinion that he isn't going to be anywhere near as mobile as we remember him when he was at his peak - especially considering his recent injury record and long lay off, combined with his age. He's not going to be zipping around like Cavani of old, and I feel you're being extremely naïve if you think he will be.

And again, to reiterate, I have not seen him in he last 18 months. Who has? He's barely kicked a ball, and when fit, he was displaced in the starting line up by fecking Choupo-Moting.

Brwned

Hysterics? Because I vocally disagree with the direction our club is heading, by trying to placate the fans with this dog-shit last minute desperation signing after all our other signings fell through? I'm not going to sit here and circle-jerk about our clubs direction, when I so vehemently disagree with it. This signing epitomises everything that has been wrong with United, post Fergie. Obviously, it's not Cavani's fault. Who could blame him? A final pay day, after contemplating hanging up your boots, because nobody else of worth wants you? Of course he's going to snap our hands off.

Also, I don't disagree that a target man requires different skill sets, obviously. I am just of the opinion that he isn't going to be anywhere near as mobile as we remember him when he was at his peak - especially considering his recent injury record and long lay off, combined with his age. He's not going to be zipping around like Cavani of old, and I feel you're being extremely naïve if you think he will be.

And again, to reiterate, I have not seen him in he last 18 months. Who has? He's barely kicked a ball, and when fit, he was displaced in the starting line up by fecking Choupo-Moting.
Yes, it comes across as hysterical that you need to mention "dog-shit last minute desperation signing" over and over again, for example. That aspect of your view is established, the need to repeat it is the desire for hysterics.

I agree that Falcao and the likes point to a critical failing in United's strategy over a long period, and Cavani could be another example or that. I'm hopeful that he won't because, like you, I haven't seen him play in the last 18 months and, unlike you, I'm able to recognise there are limits to my powers of perceptions. I'm happy to wait.

All I know is that him being less mobile than before does not preclude him from playing in a fluid attacking line up. That has more to do with a vision of football than physical abilities. Unless you think he's suddenly become a 38 year old Scholes, he can still move around a lot, even if he moves slower. If he is just one level below where we was at for Napoli or PSG, he'll be a great signing. If he's two levels below, he'll be a good one. Beyond that he could be a shocker.

I don't know how he'll work out and neither do you. Not calling him dog shit does not mean that you're engaging in a circle jerk. I think United have been embarrassing on many occasions and on many dimensions in the last decade. I wasn't impressed this summer. I can still hold that view while simultaneously thinking Cavani could be quite good. Your stance that it's one or the other is driven by your hysterical attitude to the whole thing.

Bogga

What the hell... He's 3cm shorter than me?! :eek: I always thought he was really tall, at least 190cm...

ti vu

What the hell... He's 3cm shorter than me?! :eek: I always thought he was really tall, at least 190cm...
Big bone, broad shoulders and big jaw bone make him look tough, but he's not that much taller Luis Suarez when you see them play together.

Bogga

Big bone, broad shoulders and big jaw bone make him look tough, but he's not that much taller Luis Suarez when you see them play together.
Perhaps, I remember when I saw United in a friendly back in Oslo around 99/00/01. Stood quite close to Becks when he took a corner and was surprised he was so much smaller than me. Imagined him to be my height. Easy to be fooled when you imagine your heroes to be big dudes

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve @kouroux

Where position did he play for PSG when Zlatan was there? Did they play two up top quite often (I recall them playing 4-3-3 in the CL) or was he moved out wide?
He was played out of position on the RW to accommodate Ibra when he was there.
I would say that it was an even mix, he played on the left, right and center depending on who else was playing(Ibrahimovic, Pastore, Lavezzi, Menez, Di Maria or Lucas), from memory the use of two actual strikers was rare. But it's kind of important to keep in mind that Cavani was used as a wide forward. Since Ibrahimovic had the tendency to drop deep Cavani was the one finding himself in the box and at the end of through balls, even from wide positions. And Cavani isn't a target man, at his best he was a runner, a better version of Lukaku.

Brwned

I would say that it was an even mix, he played on the left, right and center depending on who else was playing(Ibrahimovic, Pastore, Lavezzi, Menez, Di Maria or Lucas), from memory the use of two actual strikers was rare. But it's kind of important to keep in mind that Cavani was used as a wide forward. Since Ibrahimovic had the tendency to drop deep Cavani was the one finding himself in the box and at the end of through balls, even from wide positions. And Cavani isn't a target man, at his best he was a runner, a better version of Lukaku.
He always seemed a weird choice to play out wide, even as a wide forward. Like Lukaku on the right. Clearly he was more selfless and diligent in his defensive work so he could be relied upon, plus he has a fairly broad skillset, but it always looked thoroughly unnatural when I saw him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

There’s every chance you might be right of course but I’m happy to wait and see. The guy is professional so might surprise us

Sanchez7

Cavani isn't a stereotypical big man who holds the ball up. He broke through for the national team on the right wing often interchanging with Forlan, he most recently played in a fluid attack with Mbappe and Neymar, and throughout his career he has been recognised for covering a lot of ground and a lot of spaces. In other words you've looked at his height and made up the rest.
Correct. He was also shifted to a right forward/winger position when Ibra played centrally for PSG. He has always put in a shift and has excellent off the ball movement.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Dont mind signing. We live in a very reactionary place at the minute. Lets wait and see

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He always seemed a weird choice to play out wide, even as a wide forward. Like Lukaku on the right. Clearly he was more selfless and diligent in his defensive work so he could be relied upon, plus he has a fairly broad skillset, but it always looked thoroughly unnatural when I saw him.
It wasn't weird when you consider his work rate/discipline, the fact that he was doing it for Uruguay and that he was still finding himself where you wanted him, meaning at the end of passes/crosses in the box. Cavani is an atypical player, at his best he was fast, strong, with great stamina and arguably the best off the ball movement in the world alongside someone like Cristiano Ronaldo. Of course Cavani's selflessness has always played against him in terms of ideal position but it also made him a starter for every manager because they all knew that he was going to do his jobs at a high level, regardless of the specifity of the roles.

RedNed77

Our resident PSG fan was saying he has a first touch comparable with Lukaku, which matches up with his underwhelming performances whenever I've seen him play. I just really hope thats not what we've bought, I hate forwards who give the ball away constantly.

I'm really hoping he gets up to fitness quickly, he surprises me and turns out to be more Henrik Larson than Falcao.

Last edited:

Brwned

Our resident PSG fan was saying he has a first touch comparable with Lukaku, which matches up with his underwhelming performances whenever I've seen him play. I just really hope thats not what we've bought, I hate forwards who give the ball away constantly.

I'm really hoping he gets up to fitness quickly he surprises me and turns out to be more Henrik Larson than Falcao.
I think he's overestimating Lukaku there. Lukaku had a terrible first touch all over, from head to toe. Cavani's far better at bringing the ball under control serially and not as inconsistent with his feet. But it is unquestionably the case he is never someone the ball stays glued to. More like rooney who's dynamic and careless than van Persie who's considered and elegant.

RedNed77

I think he's overestimating Lukaku there. Lukaku had a terrible first touch all over, from head to toe. Cavani's far better at bringing the ball under control serially and not as inconsistent with his feet. But it is unquestionably the case he is never someone the ball stays glued to. More like rooney who's dynamic and careless than van Persie who's considered and elegant.
I'll take a Rooney rather than a Lukaku. Not going to belabour the point, but Cavani is one of those players I've never seen play well. He obviously has, I've just never seen a game myself personally.

DRM

If he's tested negative for COvid why does he need to quarantine?

Raven

Not seen a whole pile of his career, very little in fact but he always struck me as someone who relishes the physical side of the game, whether that be powerful run into the box to get on the end of something or tussling with CB's. I was originally quite negative about this signing but I think I was mainly caught up in the negativity surrounding our transfer window in general. Right now I'm quite optimistic and think he'll be an interesting rotation option with Martial and should be able to help Martial up his game further as well.

I understand some of the negative sentiments around Cavani but I think he might surprise a lot of people as long as they accept his role in the squad and manage their expectations accordingly.

HowYouDoin

When looking at his stats you gotta remember he was probably deprived of some 20 goals when he played RW. Those would have been 30 goal seasons for him as well.
You are truly talking about an elite elite striker. Elite as they come.

He should have no problem scoring at least 15 for us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.