6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara125

Largely absent when he’s not being serviced. We need a striker that can make magic happen on his own.

Red00012

Difficult to be decent when we just pass it back and over until someone decides to cross it and hope for the best

UnitedFan93

Looks no different to Ighalo for me. About as useful as well.

We're probably paying over £300K a week for two past it strikers. A complete shambles.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Counted 5 crossing opportunities for our fullbacks when Cavani was in the box. Shaw hit the first man with 3 of them, and skied his other one over everyone. Wan Bissaka hit the first man with his attempt. Never seen a team worse at crossing a ball

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Counted 5 crossing opportunities for our fullbacks when Cavani was in the box. Shaw hit the first man with 3 of them, and skied his other one over everyone. Wan Bissaka hit the first man with his attempt. Never seen a team worse at crossing a ball
Bissaka just can't cross to save his life. Atleast Shaw hit one good cross which resulted in goal.

CM

I've not been impressed with Cavani at all but I don't think Solskjaer has done him many favours in the way he uses him or the times he introduces him either.

Throwing him on so we can move Rashford to the right and Martial to the left made no sense. Seems like there's even less of a plan there than when we first signed him.

Devil may care

He's barely played any football in the last year, is coming off injury issues and is 34 in a few months, can't expect much, this isn't an Ibra situation.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Struggling to see any evidence that he’d even be ready to have an impact on Soccer Aid match. Utterly anonymous.

Ighalo will have had a greater positive impact at the club and will seem to have been underused in comparison.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cavani needs a run of starts. Unfair to judge him on a couple of cameos.

Thiagoal

Cavani has always been a player that thrives off good service. Our problem is that all our ‘wide forwards’ are actually strikers and our full backs can’t cross to save their lives.

Brophs

The One and Only
For better or worse, he'll only get that run of games if there are quite a few injuries, as his cameos haven't really been suggestive of a guy going through the gears on his way to top form.

Dve

He's been shite.

Am I doing it right?
Maybe. He has contributed with absolutely nothing in the cameos he´d had, although it might be a bit unfair to judge him by those as he has not been given much game time. Let´s just say he has fail to play the role of an impact sub. So far.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But the question even then is, what could we reasonably expect from him with a run of starts? As we don't play football that is at all suited to his strengths.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe. He has contributed with absolutely nothing in the cameos he´d had, although it might be a bit unfair to judge him by those as he has not been given much game time. Let´s just say he has fail to play the role of an impact sub. So far.
I think in order to judge him he needs to get up to speed physically and his teammates need to adapt to playing with an actual striker. I definitely don't expect him to be anywhere near the low level of Ighalo.

It’s very early days, and given his lack of football prior to his arrival, I’m hoping he can slowly get better over the coming weeks and begin to look a lot sharper.

However, so far he’s looking like Falcao 2.0 to me, right down to the lack of mobility and style of hair.

Crustanoid

Yeah, weird purchase TBH. (Not a problem with Cavani but how he's going to fix our problems.)
He was only bought to sell shirts and as a by-product, to placate the more gullible section of the fan base in light of the Glazers and Ed pretending to be interested in Sancho and then going through a play act of trying to buy him and failing, also to fool the fans - to take attention away from the truth that the Glazers were protecting their dividends. Fools. If you believe a minute of it god help you.

facund

We are not currently capable of feeding a player that likes to work in the box. We barely get the ball in to the box and when we do it is so laboured that teams are fully set and organised for the dubious crossing we revert to.

Cavani must be looking at this team and wondering exactly how he is going to find chances to score.

United were gifted the entire second half to apply pressure and resoundingly failed to carve out even half chances. Oddly he seemed to be pushed to the left flank for periods as well (in favour of players we know lack some of the more classical qualities of a CF that I assume he was recruited for).

This, added to the fact he hasn't played regular football for quite some time, makes it incredibly difficult to fairly judge him.
I have little doubt he is capable of scoring goals but I seriously question the teams ability to provide suitable chances for him to do so.
If that is a result of the choice in style/approach of the team then the way things are at the moment, Ighalo could provide a similar presence (or lack of as it were).

Leethal

Everything you're seeing now is exactly what I said would happen a month ago when we signed him.

I was absolutely slated for it.

Hell, the mods even banned me from posting in this thread because they didn't want to hear it and for some reason thought that I, quote: "needed a break" from this thread. Apparently, arguing my valid point in a discussion forum isn't acceptable behaviour.

Like I said a month ago:

- He's 34 years old, (turning 35 soon)
- Has had an injury plagued last few years - in the mean time, contracted Covid, spent his time on a farm, and not played football in almost a year as he had no team
- He's moving up to a league that is much higher in intensity to what he's used to in recent years

Sure, don't get me wrong, he will huff, puff and give his all. After all, he's made a career out of that. . but ultimately, he's way past what we need and a dreadful signing all things considered.

Go on, slate me again, despite the evidence being there for all to see.

Leethal

He isn’t 35 until 2022. Not hard to get right.
You're right. I thought he was 34 already, not 33. He turns 34 in 3 months. Regardless, it doesn't matter much. He could be 26 for all I care, as he looks 40 while on the pitch - and that's what matters.

archiebald

He's only had some cameos, and in all the times he's been on never had anything resembling decent service. Would give him some time playing with Telles also on the pitch before passing judgement.

Jericho

Hasn't started a game yet and people already writing him off...

Jericho

Everything you're seeing now is exactly what I said would happen a month ago when we signed him.

Hell, the mods even banned me from posting in this thread because they didn't want to hear it and for some reason thought that I, quote: "needed a break" from this thread. Apparently, arguing my valid point in a discussion forum isn't acceptable behaviour.

Like I said a month ago:

- Has had an injury plagued last few years - in the mean time, contracted Covid, spent his time on a farm, and not played football in almost a year as he had no team
- He's moving up to a league that is much higher in intensity to what he's used to in recent years

Sure, don't get me wrong, he will huff, puff and give his all. After all, he's made a career out of that. . but ultimately, he's way past what we need and a dreadful signing all things considered.

Acting the victim a bit aren't ya?

Maybe you're right. Or maybe he'll come good. Time will tell.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Like I said a month ago:

This. The delusion in that thread was RAWKesque.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Can't really judge the bloke from the limited game time he's had. He's a striker that relies on service.

What baffles me is the team selection OGS favours that doesn't compliment the strengths of the starting 11. Has there been a thread discussing team selection?

The substitutions for the last game were woeful. Why was Donny taken off? Why did Maguire play as the loose CB when he doesn't have pace?

Also Cavani is often a beneficiary from wide players placing balls into the box. I don't remember a time someone actually picking him out.

He's also well into his thirties now so you can't expect him to have that explosive pace and bullishness he used to have.

Leethal

We needed to bring someone in to have an immediate impact on our first team. Someone to push us on as we somehow managed to scrape 3rd last season. We needed to progress.

What we did not need, is another stop-gap brought in to try to deceive and placate the fans from our lack of ambition in the most recent transfer window.

He may come good - you're right. But when? When our season's already down the shitter and it's largely irrelevant at that point?

Last edited:

ti vu

By the look of thing at the moment, it would be until new year where we can find an easy game in FA Cup for him to start. Every game now is important for Ole to keep his job, and for us to stay relevant for this season. His role is back up, not starter to begin with. If he can't make an impact off the bench when he is fresher than other players, then there is no reason to start him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That’s why we need Sancho more than a no 9. And Ole knew it while others like Sheringham, Scholes, Rooney and etc were wrong.

Although I should hold it first until I see the Telles & Cavani combination. Let’s see what he can do if there is a player who can deliver top class ball in the box like Telles.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He kinda looks like he doesn't really want to be here. That said, he probably thought he would be having more than an Ighalo style cameo role in the team. Also, he’s a player that’s always been used to having great service and lots of good quality goal scoring chances and he’s not getting that at all here, so he’s probably a bit miffed about that as well.

Oldham

Such a stupid signing. Can't believe this is the forward we got in the summer :(

Leethal

Such a stupid signing. Can't believe this is the forward we got in the summer :(
Our Marquee signing that they tried to hype up among the fans by handing him the number 7 shirt.

Sorry, Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime, you can't fool me. . . the romanticism of the #7 was lost when you started handing it to Di Maria, Valencia, Owen, Alexis Sanchez, etc. etc. to try and drum up fan favour and exaggerate the signing.

soapythecat

Doesn’t look interested. No darting runs or getting involved, just seems to be going through the basics really without imposing himself.
Can’t imagine he’s too impressed with Ole. Hardly an inspiring figure.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He's a backup, if Martial is injured for 6 months you will be thankful he's here, imagine he's useful on the training pitch too. I'd like to have seen him get more minutes in Martials suspension but can only assume there is a reason.

Clearly we aren't in a good way at the moment as a club so there are bigger issues.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A striker who thrives off good service, makes cameo appearances when we have been mostly in bad situations, and he's being written off? Christ, the patience is strong with a lot of folk

Status
Not open for further replies.