Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Whatever you think about his longterm prospects there is no doubt he gives us something different, similar to Ibra during his short stay. I'm made up we have him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They announced they weren't renewing his contract but they did the same for Thiago Silva (I know he was more central to their plans) and they worked out something for him to stay on, I can't believe that Tuchel would rather have had to use Choupo-Moting in the semis and the final than Cavani but maybe that's wrong of me. The main thing for us is that he looks really sharp and motivated (which is the player I had always seen him as which is why I was concerned that maybe that had gone slightly) and a real asset to our team.
They're cnuts at PSG, they disrespected him whereas he's their all time scorer. He got inuured and Icardi showed some form, they used as an excuse with the contract situation to completely freeze him from ever playing.
The same Icardi who completely missed out on the final 8 of the CL.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope the “never seen him play” brigade can feck off

Sir Alex Ferguson

This lad has shown more in 45 minutes than Martial has all season. Proper number 9. He needs to be the firsst choice up top.

Tony247

Yup.

Rashy/Tony - Cavani - Greenwood

Then Greenwood to take over from Cavani next season. :devil:
Greenwood can't be a proper CF until he masters those headers. All no. 9s do. Sometimes you get a quarter of chance you can only hit with your head.

GMoore23

What a performance. I said a while back that the extended rest he had at PSG last season would see him return a rejuvenated force. Glad I was right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His movement and alertness in the box is incredible.
He has no equal in terms of movement, he puts himself at the end of chances that most top strikers won't.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Absolutely brilliant.

I wonder whether our young forwards can learn from Cavani or whether it’s a case of you either have it in your DNA or you don’t.

remo

And people are saying that Martial is our striker. Cavani just showed what real striker is. Everybody else on our team are forwards.

RORY65

They're cnuts at PSG, they disrespected him whereas he's their all time scorer. He got inuured and Icardi showed some form, they used as an excuse with the contract situation to completely freeze him from ever playing.
The same Icardi who completely missed out on the final 8 of the CL.
Fair enough, I'll take your word for that and frankly who gives a shit what the reasoning was given how well he's doing for us but the point was merely that although I thought he improved the squad I had concerns (I guess why was he not part of their CL squad in Lisbon, his fault or PSG's, and why did no one pick him up for 3 months) but he's looking great for us.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Beautiful header though

The thing is we hoped for the same thing when Zlatan joined, we hoped that Martial would learn from him and develop to be a bit more like a classic number 9. It didn't happen. Martial's play style seems natural and instincive, kinda hard expecting him to change it. He is no Zlatan, RvP, Cavani and probably never will.
Yeah I'm not sure I can remember any forward like Martial "developing" those goalscoring instincts like pundits like to talk about every now and then. Rather than Martial being able to learn from him, playing alongside him will just free up Martial to do what he does best. Cavani is totally comfortable spending most of the game away from the ball running into empty spaces, while Martial has always gravitated towards the ball. It just means that when one of Rashford or Martial are injured, they won't be stuck up top without any creative support and without the ability to act as a one-man attack. We were absolutely dire when we played with just the one of them last year, and weren't much better today. Greenwood's breakthrough helped a little with that but he just doesn't occupy defenders so Rashford is too easy to mark. Cavani occupies the defence and can make use of their creativity too.

Dr Foo

Apart from his obvious qualities as a proper striker that we have so missed, it is his attitude that really impressed me, and in scarce commodity at our club (Bruno aside) - pressing non stop, wants to win, proven scoring quality - we have no other forward like that. As someone else had said, Rashford and Martial are still not at that consistently reliable level, so we need Cavani

Reactions: Invictus

Teja

Absolutely brilliant.

I wonder whether our young forwards can learn from Cavani or whether it’s a case of you either have it in your DNA or you don’t.
I just feel Rashford and Martial aren’t proper #9s, both do better coming in from the left and playing off Bruno and a #9. Greenwood hopefully grows into that role and can really learn from Cavani.

spiriticon

Safe to say I think he's already done better than Falcao so I'm a satisfied customer

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Couldn’t see Martial or Marcus scoring either of those goals. Pleasantly surprised by him as a signing so far.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Glad the majority can now see what he basically showed in prior matches sans goals. Ibra clearly was/is in a class of his own too but we haven't had a striker with the footie acumen Cavani has since RvP. He lifts the team, not just the front line.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Beautiful goals Lord have mercy.

I'm so so happy. Worried about how he would cope in this league but he was great today.
And we don't have to burn him out either. We do have options. Just want our lads to learn from him.

Otherwise, I hope he builds on this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair enough, I'll take your word for that and frankly who gives a shit what the reasoning was given how well he's doing for us but the point was merely that although I thought he improved the squad I had concerns (I guess why was he not part of their CL squad in Lisbon, his fault or PSG's, and why did no one pick him up for 3 months) but he's looking great for us.
Indeed, the past is what it is. I think he is fully fit or is very close to it which means he will starting games regularly very soon

Godfather

Whatever you think about his longterm prospects there is no doubt he gives us something different, similar to Ibra during his short stay. I'm made up we have him.
Yeah and to be honest a team that's only concerned about long term prospects isn't going to win anything.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah and to be honest a team that's only concerned about long term prospects isn't going to win anything.
Indeed. Greenwood was off it today, no shame in that whatsoever, and it's less of an issue when you can send for someone with the experience, quality and ridiculous heading ability of Cavani.

sillwuka

It's a thing of beauty isn't it seeing headed goals like that.

His movement, workrate and quality on the ball is very impressive. I'm over the moon when he scores as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.