6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBurner

Martial getting all the stick when this guy has cost us with his invisibility cloak even though I’ve heard he works very hard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If the games passing him by then he needs to drop a bit deeper and help out. Pasenger.
No, that's not his role. He's a traditional striker who does his business in the box. If the team behind him is shit then he will be shit.

He certainly had moments where he could have done better but by no stretch was he the worst in his role, relative to others. Rashford didn't bother turning up until close to the hour mark, Martial might well have stayed home, the center backs were atrocious, McTominay and Fred looked like they couldn't carry a tesco bag let alone a ball up the pitch. So yeah when the game is played out like that, Cavani will be extremely ineffective.

To call him a passenger relative to the shower of shite performances around him is harsh.
Martial getting all the stick when this guy has cost us with his invisibility cloak even though I’ve heard he works very hard.
Martial won't move for shit, he never gets behind the players, he never takes on players, he always wants the ball to feet. At the very least Cavani had many moments where he was moving to try and make crosses, to attack the ball. That's his job. Martial on the other hand literally did feck all on & off the ball. And this is looking like the new normal for him too on top.

I've not contributed much to this thread lately because he's worked hard and had some good link up play, but i'm just not seeing a world beating striker out there. Two thirds of the season gone and he's on 6 goals, and even they have been patchy, with 2 in a single game and another couple in games where we were already well on the way to victory. He's not exactly making the difference in front of goal and his average ability outside the box costs us.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Apparently he’s the first striker to have played 90 minutes against West Brom this season without registering a single shot (on or off target)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martial is better in the centre because he enables Rashford and Greenwood to act as the main goalscorers and inverted wingers.

When Cavani starts it effects our attack where Cavani is our main goalscorers and the rest of our wide players turn in to crossers of the ball.

When Martial is upfront, the ball is on the floor with quick passing attempting to happen across the front line however just because Martial doesnt score doesnt mean it's useless. If when he needs to be replaced by a more fox in the box goalscorer is when it needs to be done.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Not a great game but he's put in a bunch of Good performances so it's whatever. It happens.

Holocene

No, that's not his role. He's a traditional striker who does his business in the box. If the team behind him is shit then he will be shit.

He certainly had moments where he could have done better but by no stretch was he the worst in his role, relative to others. Rashford didn't bother turning up until close to the hour mark, Martial might well have stayed home, the center backs were atrocious, McTominay and Fred looked like they couldn't carry a tesco bag let alone a ball up the pitch. So yeah when the game is played out like that, Cavani will be extremely ineffective.

To call him a passenger relative to the shower of shite performances around him is harsh.

Martial won't move for shit, he never gets behind the players, he never takes on players, he always wants the ball to feet. At the very least Cavani had many moments where he was moving to try and make crosses, to attack the ball. That's his job. Martial on the other hand literally did feck all on & off the ball. And this is looking like the new normal for him too on top.
This.

You don't have Cavani drop deep to help the team. He's used for his movement to attack the posts and unlock a defence with quick darting runs. If the ball isn't being fed to him, there's not a lot he can do. Having him drop deeper to support the team is complete waste, especially against such a low defensive block.

It's clear that creating chances is still a massive problem for us. It comes down to Bruno or Pogba. Shaw has stepped his game up this season and is definitely helping.

Our xG for this match was 0.42. We created feck all chances.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This.

You don't have Cavani drop deep to help the team. He's used for his movement to attack the posts and unlock a defence with quick darting runs. If the ball isn't being fed to him, there's not a lot he can do. Having him drop deeper to support the team is complete waste, especially against such a low defensive block.

It's clear that creating chances is still a massive problem for us. It comes down to Bruno or Pogba. Shaw has stepped his game up this season and is definitely helping.

Yep, and if you create feck all chances your 9 will not have much to impact the game. The problem is definitely not our 9, even Haaland would have struggled with the way the team played today. For the 50 minutes the team was actually doing nothing - it was like watching Spurs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This.

And this is why I say its stupid to sell Martial and Keep Cavani to buy Haaland if we get them.

Two are too similar. Having one that plays deep to enable inverted forwards to play their game is more important than having 2 fox in the box predators that work around Rashford and Greenwood.

We need a creative RW or LW atleast for Haaland if we get him. Whilst Martial is more useful for inverted forwards within the same squad as a different option.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Would still play him over the other 3 up front.

Difference is we have few who could provide good service into the box consistently. That's where all his goals have come from, and more so if there was a decent winger in our team

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Would still play him over the other 3 up front.

Difference is we have few who could provide good service into the box consistently. That's where all his goals have come from, and more so if there was a decent winger in our team
Yep exactly. He's a great striker but he'll score 1 in 3 shots so needs constant chances set up for him to do his thing. Didn't happen today and he was effectively marked out of the game.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Martial is better in the centre because he enables Rashford and Greenwood to act as the main goalscorers and inverted wingers.

When Cavani starts it effects our attack where Cavani is our main goalscorers and the rest of our wide players turn in to crossers of the ball.

When Martial is upfront, the ball is on the floor with quick passing attempting to happen across the front line however just because Martial doesnt score doesnt mean it's useless. If when he needs to be replaced by a more fox in the box goalscorer is when it needs to be done.
In theory this is true. In practice that interplay has been missing all season, no matter which front 3 is chosen (the exception was the Liverpool FA cup game, with Rashford, Cavani, and Greenwood).
IMO it's pretty obviously a coaching issue that there hasn't been any attacking coherence all season and that all the strikers look poor, levels off their best, bad not just at finishing but at basics.

stevoc

What i'm getting from that is he was shit, we can agree there at least.

Needs to do more for me to get involved in the build up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

No he doesn't. And by him being shit I referred to his output. You then go by why the output was shit, which was not down to his lack of effort or movement, but because the team around him was doing feck all. To suggest strikers should all just drop back to compensate for their peers being rubbish and then beat them with a stick with it is just wrong. He has a purpose on the pitch, to be in the box and put away chances, but when the team XG is 0.45 for the game you can see the problem isn't him or his performance. It's the dogshite behind him.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

You're right, wasn't anything there from him at all today. But like there has been the games recently with 9 in the box, we have been slow around the box and either had blocked shots and predictable crosses into the box today. The times where we had quick overlaps to our full backs, where they could whip a ball in was where we could have seen more success from Cavani.

If you watch where he positions himself in every attack, it's exactly where a striker should be: just off front post, 6 yard box and back post. When you link that up with where the ball actually ended, and you understand why he didn't get the coverage he should do.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
No he doesn't. And by him being shit I referred to his output. You then go by why the output was shit, which was not down to his lack of effort or movement, but because the team around him was doing feck all. To suggest strikers should all just drop back to compensate for their peers being rubbish and then beat them with a stick with it is just wrong. He has a purpose on the pitch, to be in the box and put away chances, but when the team XG is 0.45 for the game you can see the problem isn't him or his performance. It's the dogshite behind him.
This.

Idxomer

Teams don't win anything with traditional strikers anymore, even the likes of Kane and Suarez are very far from being that.

Look at what Pep and City are doing without even a recognizable main striker.

OrcaFat

We didn’t help him today as we turned down many crossing opportunities and lacked creativity in CM. But he was not great. Maybe the minutes are catching up with him somewhat.

KennyBurner

They don’t want to hear this because he runs around like lingard while offering feck all. He isn’t even prolific enough to warrant his inactivity on the ball. I’d rather we start martial in the center and bring on cavani depending on what version of martial we get.

ImmzB

We really need to cross the ball more into the box with him there!!!

KennyBurner

We absolutely don't help him. He got nothing absolutely nothing to work with.
Why don’t you guys ever give martial this same grace when criticizing him? He got all the help today but couldn’t control the ball or make any progressive passes.
Cavani needs to run more and stop being invisible.

OrcaFat

They don’t want to hear this because he runs around like lingard while offering feck all. He isn’t even prolific enough to warrant his inactivity on the ball. I’d rather we start martial in the center and bring on cavani depending on what version of martial we get.
When those are the options, you feel a new CF is needed. Ah well.

Devil may care

Never got a sniff, if we don't supply he won't offer a tonne unless the game requires his pressing and workrate, butbthis wasn't that type of game and we never crafted him a chance.

arthurka

Why don’t you guys ever give martial this same grace when criticizing him? He got all the help today but couldn’t control the ball or make any progressive passes.
Cavani needs to run more and stop being invisible.
Cavani's movement and work ethic isn't something to criticize as he is as hard working as any player. But his strengths are in the box attacking crosses. Martial has gotten an absolute free pass here for years you can bet on it if Cavani will be bringing this to the table in regular basis he will get slaughtered.

MattofManchester

Given we have him on the pitch, why are most of the crosses thrown in aimed low, when his strength is with his head?

Then again, why do I bother asking when most of our crosses are beyond wayward.

ShinjiNinja26

Really felt for him today, to say he’s feeding off scraps would be an understatement. The guy is getting next to no service at all. Then people start scrutinising his finishing for not taking the 1 or 2 chances he does get. Look at the likes of Salah and Mane or any of City’s forwards they get 3 or 4 chances each most games, you give Cavani that many opportunities he’s guaranteed to score you at least 1 or 2 goals a game.

stevoc

Oh yes he does.

Sylar

He seems to be the only one who moves in the box when a cross is coming in. The rest are static

Smores

And this is why I say its stupid to sell Martial and Keep Cavani to buy Haaland if we get them.

Two are too similar. Having one that plays deep to enable inverted forwards to play their game is more important than having 2 fox in the box predators that work around Rashford and Greenwood.

We need a creative RW or LW atleast for Haaland if we get him. Whilst Martial is more useful for inverted forwards within the same squad as a different option.
I really don't agree with this at all. Martial occupies the space Rashford and Greenwood want to come into half the time. Cavani creates movement in the box that means the defenders have to follow. Your point perhaps stands in the early transition but thats about it and it's not often.

We should never be playing two forwards out wide in the first place so we do desperately need some creativity out wide. That'll benefit whoever plays up front.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sorry but he’s not been great. Six goals is a poor return. He doesn’t improve us as a team. I can see the theory he can help our forwards develop in training. He’d be better coming off the bench.

stevoc

As me and many others have said, no he doesn't. Lets leave it there.
Many others, oh give over mate. Someone watches a shit performance that leads to their team dropping points. Almost every player was shit including our fabled centre forward who did the square root of feck all. Other strikers would and have got slaughtered for that performance.

All I said was he was a passenger. Which he absolutely was. No need to pounce on people venting with long winded waffle replies. If you think he was fine fair enough I didn't. You don't need to type up walls of text trying to change peoples opinion.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Many others, oh give over mate. Someone watches a shit performance that leads to their team dropping points. Almost every player was shit including our fabled centre forward who did the square root of feck all. Other strikers would and have got slaughtered for that performance.

All I said was he was a passenger. Which he absolutely was. No need to pounce on people venting with long winded waffle replies. If you think he was fine fair enough I didn't. You don't need to type up walls of text trying to change peoples opinion.
I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just said I disagree with you. You've been as aggressive as I have about it.

I just disagree more with this weird logic that players should drop back and fall out of position. Strikers should be in the business end of the pitch, not dropping back trying to do midfielders jobs for them.

stevoc

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just said I disagree with you. You've been as aggressive as I have about it.

I just disagree more with this weird logic that players should drop back and fall out of position. Strikers should be in the business end of the pitch, not dropping back trying to do midfielders jobs for them.
Yeah sure you're not mate.

If you simply disagreed you could have just said that in your first reply and moved onto bothering someone else who had the temerity to criticize Edinson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.