Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah sure you're not mate.

If you simply disagreed you could have just said that in your first reply and moved onto bothering someone else who had the temerity to criticize Edinson.
As I said, I've been no more argumentative than you have. Get yourself together and move on.

stevoc

As I said, I've been no more argumentative than you have. Get yourself together and move on.
:lol:

You replied to me mate and continue to do so. It seems you gotta get that last word in.

SeanyC

Martial getting all the stick when this guy has cost us with his invisibility cloak even though I’ve heard he works very hard.
Start wearing those glasses mate but the guy puts in more effort on the pitch than Martial and that is a fact, Martial has been brutal for months now, will never be as good as player as young or old Cavani, Cavani record speaks for itself, Martial shows flashes and nothing more

SeanyC

He seems to be the only one who moves in the box when a cross is coming in. The rest are static
Never a truer word spoken, his off the ball movement is brilliant, I’ve yet to see Martial or Rashford do that when they play No.9 spot

Andersons Dietician

His first taste of the United striker woes. Nothing to work with and he became invisible. Forgot he was even on the pitch in the 2nd half. Poor performances from the front 3 really.

amsoUG

There is no excuse for a striker to not to be involved in a game where we dominated possession. Let the kids play - let them man up, only play C7 from the bench. Put Mason as a 9 for all I care, I would rather draw or lose in style than just play with a target man. He was no different from the WBA striker - waiting for crosses in the box then run back to defend. Play Martial as a 9 for all I care, I would rather an innovative attack than spamming the box with crosses. Play Rashford as a 9 for all I care, I would rather youthful imagination and folly than Cavani's old school box-striker gameplay.

Red & White

Thought he was poor today. Without a doubt he has the best movement out of all our forwards, that’s agreed by us all. I juts wish he’d get onto those balls across the box that Greenwood puts in. There’s no chance anyone else has the brain to be there waiting by the looks of it. Isn’t that one of the first things you‘re taught as a striker? Cavani has shown he has this pedigree already with a number of his goals.

stevoc

He was a passenger today. He was crap inside the box didn't get on the end of anything. Don't think he even had a shot did he?

Also in games like this he needs to do more outside the box when we have 80% of the ball and are facing a flat back 9. Instead of plodding anonymously around the opposition box.

Mainoldo

So glad we finally have a proper striker up front. How much goals he score today?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Apparently he’s the first striker to have played 90 minutes against West Brom this season without registering a single shot (on or off target)
Says more about the fact we created nothing than him as striker.

Not a great game clearly, but I don't see the argument for him having to do more in build up. In more free flowing games he does and he pivots very effectively to start counters.

We were camped in their half though, constantly passing it sideways, and our most incisive attacking came from Harry feckin' Maguire running at defenders.

What I'm not getting at all is why he runs away from the near post at corners. Yeah, pull defender away, whatever but surely someone else less useful in the box can do that? He becomes irrelevant to those set plays.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I like Cavani but he was por today. All I remember from him was (yet another) swing and a miss just after West Brom scored.

stevoc

Says more about the fact we created nothing than him as striker.

Not a great game clearly, but I don't see the argument for him having to do more in build up. In more free flowing games he does and he pivots very effectively to start counters.

We were camped in their half though, constantly passing it sideways, and our most incisive attacking came from Harry feckin' Maguire running at defenders.

What I'm not getting at all is why he runs away from the near post at corners. Yeah, pull defender away, whatever but surely someone else less useful in the box can do that? He becomes irrelevant to those set plays.
Well that's the problem though isn't it?

Our centreback was doing more outside the box to try and help the team create something than our centre forward was. Their box was crammed with defenders, it's alright being isolated running around in there hoping for someone else to create something for you. If it comes off and you win the game great but if it doesn't then the team is basically an attacker short trying to break down camped 9 man defence.

For the most part I've been impressed with Cavani's build up play and his willingness to interchange. Just not yesterday.

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
Sorry but he’s not been great. Six goals is a poor return. He doesn’t improve us as a team. I can see the theory he can help our forwards develop in training. He’d be better coming off the bench.
PL 20/21

Cavani 6 goals from open play in 849 minutes (1 goal every 141.5 min)
Kane 10 goals from open play in 1837 minutes (1 goal every 183.7 min.)
Salah 11 goals from open play in 1924 minutes (1 goal every 174,9 min)

Open play in this case= excluding penalties

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well that's the problem though isn't it?

Our centreback was doing more outside the box to try and help the team create something than our centre forward was. Their box was crammed with defenders, it's alright being isolated running around in there hoping for someone else to create something for you. If it comes off and you win the game great but if it doesn't then the team is basically an attacker short trying to break down camped 9 man defence.

For the most part I've been impressed with Cavani's build up play and his willingness to interchange. Just not yesterday.
I don't think we needed one more player around the box. If anything, we needed more camped in the box to give us more to aim at and them more to think about.

Our goal and (few) other chances actually came from a second guy other than Cavani being in there rather than outside and running into traffic.

stevoc

I don't think we needed one more player around the box. If anything, we needed more camped in the box to give us more to aim at and them more to think about.

Our goal and (few) other chances actually came from a second guy other than Cavani being in there rather than outside and running into traffic.
I'm not saying he should have just vacated the box, i'm saying there should have been more interchange and movement between our front 4. Cavani just became isolated in a group of WBA defenders. He didn't get on the end of anything that i can remember.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
PL 20/21

Cavani 6 goals from open play in 849 minutes (1 goal every 141.5 min)
Kane 10 goals from open play in 1837 minutes (1 goal every 183.7 min.)
Salah 11 goals from open play in 1924 minutes (1 goal every 174,9 min)

Open play in this case= excluding penalties
Nice stat....Anwar El Gazhi and Josh Maja have a better return though

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
Nice stat....Anwar El Gazhi and Josh Maja have a better return though
Jeppers7 said:
Sorry but he’s not been great. Six goals is a poor return. He doesn’t improve us as a team. I can see the theory he can help our forwards develop in training. He’d be better coming off the bench.

1. Not really since two of El Ghazis five goals were penalties. So El Ghazi also have a worse return with 1 goal every 189 min.
2. Even if El Ghazi would have had a better return that would be irrelevant since El Ghazis goal tally obviously isn't a "poor return".
3. Since Cavani so far scored more often from open play than Salah, Kane and Vardy have it is also blatantly obvious that Cavanis goalscoring so far has been a little bit better than a "poor return".

If you don't agree then please tell me how often he should have scored to earn an "average return" respectively a "good return".

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's got a knack of being unavailable/not fit for important games. His impact has been overstated for me.

Apart from the Southampton game the main hype on here is that he's not Martial.

Last edited:

always_hoping

It seems like he missed half the season due to injuries.
That was the major risk when signing him. All muscle injuries in the last year with PSG and that's carried on with United.

Could have been a big addition to that Chelsea match today, ah well..

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That was the major risk when signing him. All muscle injuries in the last year with PSG and that's carried on with United.

Could have been a big addition to that Chelsea match today, ah well..
Yeah. I guess we can say we got what was expected. Good player when fit, but injury prone.

Mickson

What do we think of him? I have a hard time placing him so far, I don't know if my expectations are low but everyone seems to think he's like the Van Persie we have missed lately.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What do we think of him? I have a hard time placing him so far, I don't know if my expectations are low but everyone seems to think he's like the Van Persie we have missed lately.
He's a poacher, reminds me of when Fergie bought Owen.

You know you won't get much outside of the box, but when he gets a chance he usually finishes it. Up to us to give him proper service.

the issue is the way we've played recently is using Martial as a false 9 creator, the team are used to playing through the middle and not wide areas. We've started adapting slowly though.

SirScholes

He’s been pretty good and our attack looks more balanced when he starts
Can’t do much more than that giving it’s his first spell and his age

SirScholes

He's got a knack of being unavailable/not fit for important games. His impact has been overstated for me.

Apart from the Southampton game the main hype on here is that he's not Martial.
Absolute nonsense

he’s been a great addition, his movement in and around the box is another level, his build up play is strong and he’s scored some important goals
We look better going forward when he’s in the team

Leftback99

Absolute nonsense

he’s been a great addition, his movement in and around the box is another level, his build up play is strong and he’s scored some important goals
We look better going forward when he’s in the team
He was unavailable for the final group game against Leipzig, PL games against City and Chelsea, the LC semi against City.

He's scored a massive 6 league goals. 2 important ones against Southampton, one in a win against Fulham. Missed sitters in the Arsenal game.

You might not agree but it's not "absolute nonsense".

SirScholes

He was unavailable for the final group game against Leipzig, PL games against City and Chelsea, the LC semi against City.

He's scored a massive 6 league goals. 2 important ones against Southampton, one in a win against Fulham. Missed sitters in the Arsenal game.

You might not agree but it's not "absolute nonsense".
“His impact has been overstated”
Nonsense

He’s also brought 2 assists what about his movement in and around the box, bringing other players into the game, he harasses the defenders. He’s our best striker and it’s his first year in the prem at the age of 34!
He’s only started 8 games

Leftback99

“His impact has been overstated”
Nonsense

He’s also brought 2 assists what about his movement in and around the box, bringing other players into the game, he harasses the defenders. He’s our best striker and it’s his first year in the prem at the age of 34!
He’s only started 8 games
It has for me and I stated why. I'm not saying he's been bad but I'm not going overboard about 6 goals and a couple of assists like some.

Raven

I think he's been good but overused. He was brought in to be a different option to Martial, with the assumption that Martial would be in the same form he was last season. I don't think he offers enough as our number 1 striker but he's the best we've got at this moment in time.

SirScholes

It has for me and I stated why. I'm not saying he's been bad but I'm not going overboard about 6 goals and a couple of assists like some.
Is our attack better with him in it

It’s really that simple.
The answer is yes

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s going to put up aguero figures, or control games like Henry
He’s come in and wants to win every game he plays
His link up play is good, his work rate is class, his movement is class, his commitment is class. But yer let’s play down one of the only bright sparks of our attack

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think he's been good but overused. He was brought in to be a different option to Martial, with the assumption that Martial would be in the same form he was last season. I don't think he offers enough as our number 1 striker but he's the best we've got at this moment in time.
True but he it was never the intention for him to be number 1. Unfortunately Martial's form has meant that Cavani is arguably the number 1 but he's in his mid 30s and doesn't have a long term future at the club.

Had we not used Cavani as much as we have, I think we might not have won some games.

Crystal Palace 0:0 Man Utd

Lewnited

A lot of our fans are in for a rude awakening thinking Haaland will come here and score 30 goals. Cavani has some of the best movement and anticipation of all forwards in Europe and he's feeding off of scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.