Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
FFS Cavani still injured? Since he has joined he has missed a lot of games!

Good thing we bought Ronaldo otherwise we'd be starting the season with that wet blanket Martial leading the line.
I suspect Cavani's injury issues played a part in Ronaldo's signing, last year I don't think we even saw him until October, more annoying is that he was really good when he did play.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Shame he couldn't play last night. Ronaldo might have stolen his thunder but I hope he understands this is Ronaldo, it's not just any player we've shunted him out for. He still has a part to play and the fans love him.
There is no doubt Cavani understands the Ronaldo arrival and its impact way better than any of us. The frustrating thing is that he's been injured at the same time. When he is fit, I expect him to give 100%, whether it's for 5 mins or 90mins.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Cavani was available for most of last season. Certainly had plenty of streaks of games that matched Ronaldo’s seven whole games so far this season.
Pogue, United played 61 games last season. Cavani started only 21 of them. Ronaldo will match that in 2021 alone I suspect.

Yes, Cavani made a big impact in the games he started and his numerous sub appearances – and that highlighted exactly why United needed a bonafide centre forward who is ready to start every week, often twice a week. Last night was another great example too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pogue, United played 61 games last season. Cavani started only 21 of them. Ronaldo will match that in 2021 alone I suspect.

Yes, Cavani made a big impact in the games he started and his numerous sub appearances – and that highlighted exactly why United needed a bonafide centre forward who is ready to start every week, often twice a week. Last night was another great example too.
I said “available to play” which obviously includes making the bench.

If 36 year old Ronaldo (in with a shout as best footballer ever) turns out to be a better player than 34 year old Cavani (and hence less likely to end up benched) that would be the least surprising news ever. It’s still got nothing to do with Cavani’s availability last season.

Davie Moyes

I'm really missing Edi and the team could have really done with him last night. A proper striker like him or Ronaldo last night and I think we win the game comfortably. What was so frustrating last night was lack of presence in their box last night. Especially when Greenwood came on there were lots of attempted crossed and pullbacks but you just knew Martial would be nowhere near any of them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I said “available to play” which obviously includes making the bench.

If 36 year old Ronaldo (in with a shout as best footballer ever) turns out to be a better player than 34 year old Cavani (and hence less likely to end up benched) that would be the least surprising news ever. It’s still got nothing to do with Cavani’s availability last season.
Being available to play isn’t the same as having the actually capacity to play the matches. There’s a reason why he started a small proportion of games, even though it was evident how much United needed a centre forward.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Being available to play isn’t the same as having the actually capacity to play the matches. There’s a reason why he started a small proportion of games, even though it was evident how much United needed a centre forward.
You wouldn't think so from the reaction to his signing. If anything, I credit his performance last season for opening people's eyes to how easy it is to defend against an entire frontline of cut in and shoot wingery types that fancy themselves as #9s.

The bottomline here is you do have a point re we would be a bit fecked with both Rashford and Cavani out so having had the chance to get Ronaldo was freakin' awesome.

Where you are wrong is going one step further and tearing into Cavani for being injured and making comparisons about professionalism and looking after one-self. They both are exemplary pros and take great care of their fitness. It's got nothing to do with that and you can be pretty damned certain Cavani would have loved to be available and playing against WHU.

People really have to stop this stupid habit of running players down as a way of bigging up others. Ronaldo needs no bigging up, let alone in such a ridiculous way.

Man Utd 0:1 Aston Villa

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Within minutes of him coming on he got a penalty, without that instinctive run of his inside the box we wouldn't have even gotten the penalty. Its scandalous he wasn't brought on earlier on.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Wasn't that his man on the corner who went on to score?
It was but it was also good play from Villa. They knew what they were doing, Cavani knew what they were doing, but they did it too well.

el3mel

One of the best finishers in the club and we put him on for the last 9 minutes in a game we want to win!

Ridiculous.

Manya.para.siempre

Lost his man, but "won" the penalty in a way.
He didn't really "lose" him, he made a decent challenge to it but it was a great deceiving run, great delivery and great header. I don't think anyone else defending that would have done much better tbh.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Wasn't that his man on the corner who went on to score?
There were 3 other utd players near him and he was the only one who tracked him and put in a challenge. Its not his job to defend ffs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Keep him fit, he starts every game if so. The fact he only got 9 minutes is fecking diabolical.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Lost his man, but "won" the penalty in a way.
I was about to post Hause 1 - Cavani 1 on the matchthread, then it dawned on me it was Bruno's first penalty with Cristiano on the pitch :(

There were 3 other utd players near him and he was the only one who tracked him and put in a challenge. Its not his job to defend ffs.
Except it was, unfortunately. You could tell from all the pushing and shoving that Hause was his assignment once McTominay came off. He was the obvious target for a well-drilled set piece so maybe others should have been more alert, but it was very well executed, to the detail of Watkins impeding De Gea up to a split second before Hause connects. If still at it after he would indeed be interfering and therefore offside, but he walks away just in time.

That was essentially the biggest cost of taking him off, his presence in set pieces. I just hope Ole didn't conclude the gamble went wrong because I doubt Scott would have been able to do much better against that and he sure as feck wasn't getting us a penalty at the other end.

If anything, we should have gone all in far earlier. We are United playing at home, feck getting one point and couldn't care less if Villa get three (it's not a six-pointer), you go for the kill and bank on your quality prevailing.

At least that's what I grew used to for almost two decades.

Eddy_JukeZ

Keep him fit, he starts every game if so. The fact he only got 9 minutes is fecking diabolical.
Him and Ronaldo in the same team can't work imo.

Maybe 5-6 years ago, it could have.

We need Rashford back on the left.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Hmm I wonder if that might have something to do with the fact that 2 players had to come off injured.

Come on we would have loved to have seen more but it’s understandable why.

El Zoido

Was immense when he chased the ball down 50 yards in to the corner and won it. Wish we’d scored off of it.

Sanchez7

Changed the game, why do our young players not have the same work ethic? Surely it should be basic necessity to play at a top club?

arnie_ni

Needs to start and play ronnie as an inside forward. His energy is unreal.

reddevilchennai

Loved what he brings to this team. Would have been great had he converted that cross from Greenwood. Wish we had a 28 year old Cavani.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Players like Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood should be embarrassed watching Cavani press like that.

el3mel

If he's fit he needs to start. We miss his dynamics up front. He brings the whole team together and isn't static at all.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought he was absolutely brilliant. That work rate and desire. If only he scored that chance.

Abhinav

This guy deserves a lot of respect. He is a gladiator and completely changed the match with his work rate. Needs to be on the pitch more often.

oleoleoleole

Needs to be starting when fit. The United way is not just talent but hard work, energy and pressing. As well as passion! He brings all of this and sets an example to the others.

tomaldinho1

4-4-fecking-2
Ronnie and Cavani up top
Long balls and whipped crosses, feck aesthetics

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We can't waste him on bench. Hopefully Ole finds a way to play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.