Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well there we go, back to honesty.
You can try and make this something it isn’t all you want, if it helps you understand why I don’t share your opinion.

I’ll clarify one last time and I’d appreciate if you don’t attempt to put your own spin on my opinion :-

Im not sure where the love for Cavani comes from....based on his performances and impact. Based on the goals he’s scored and the impact he’s had. How many important goals have their been. How many big goals in big games etc. How many really good performances etc.

Some have clarified their position, seems to stem around workrate and desire more than the factors I’m looking for, if I’m not mistaken. Could explain the different outlooks I guess.

Please stop trying to push a narrative on me that suits your own agenda. Just understand that to me he has been fine when he’s played. Nothing more.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ole said clearly for two years, he wanted a fluid front three that could interchange positions (hence Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, buying Amad, retaining Lingard etc.) We bought a 34 year old injury prone striker as a much needed plan B. He was not bought as a starter...he was not bought to play a part in every game even. He was not bought to become a Utd legend. He was a vastly experienced and by all accounts excellent professional that could bring something to such a relatively young front line.

Everyone at the club has Reported glowingly on the fact that he has done exactly what was expected of him and more. Considering the limited role we envisaged him playing when he was bought, I would say he has far exceeded expectations and it’s a credit to him for being driven enough to do that a) at this point in his career and b) in what is a very bad time to play for Manchester United.

If more in the squad conducted themselves like Cavani and Ronny...we wouldn’t be in such a mess. So I would say he has done more than just fine but each to their own.
Fair enough.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Thank God we brought Ronaldo in. Cavani is fantastic, but he’s just so injury prone.

Im not sure where the love for Cavani comes from....based on his performances and impact. Based on the goals he’s scored and the impact he’s had. How many important goals have their been.
It's been explained time and time again. He came here at a time everyone was worried it was gonna be a Sanchez or Schweinsteiger, or simply a case of a player who's proven everything in the game just coming to take one last big pay check. Instead we got...

• A player who's attitude is second to absolutely none in the entire squad.
• 102 mins per goals + assist overall for ManUtd.
• When benched unfairly for Martial last season, despite Tony stinking the place out and Cavani looking a better option from his first appearance, he sulked not one iota, just worked his ass off, got himself into the team and ended the season as our best player. In the Europa final he was not only our goalscorer but our best and hardest working player.
• He's scored a few lovely goals, versus Everton away and that cracker in the final home game. And that header :drool:
• We have another player in the squad who saw his arse about a number, this guy gave up the legendary 7 shirt no problems, is that not a breath of fresh air?
• He lost his place in the side again to Ronaldo, despite being our best player at the end of last season, this despite signing a new deal being told he was vital for this season. His response? Did he sulk to his agent (Pogba), or lose confidence in his ability (Martial), or did he work his ass off, get lauded as showing the best training performance the manager has ever seen?

The last 2 weeks have been vintage Cavani and summed up exactly why fans think the World of him. Rather than sulking at losing his spot and not gaining it back despite our performances being utter wank, he trained so well the manager couldn't ignore him. He then got his start, and we won 0-3 with him scoring and making some think "ooooh, this 3-5-2 might just be our best option". When he was subsequently dropped for the vital CL game, it was the same story again, great attitude, and nice cameo.

He could have just as easily started this season as our best striker, had we not brought in Ronaldo so late, and scored more goals, and been more vital. Maybe you'd have been happier then. However the fact that he hasn't has been totally out of his control, and his response to that, actually making himself considered "vital" again within 10 or so league games is just brilliant.

I'd say you not appreciating is the "hard thing to understand" here. It's clearly because you don't like his type of player, and you want something else for the team, something more fluid, it reverberates through all of your posting and it's given you a confirmation bias, that's why your posts are in the massive minority. You don't want to understand why some like him so much.

The same confirmation bias is causing you even to create a strawman about posters talking about Cavani as though he’s Bryan Robson or has had the same effect, when that’s not the case at all. People aren’t appreciating because he’s our Robbo or Cantona, they appreciate him for all the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Glorio

It's been explained time and time again. He came here at a time everyone was worried it was gonna be a Sanchez or Schweinsteiger, or simply a case of a player who's proven everything in the game just coming to take one last big pay check. Instead we got...

• When benched unfairly for Martial last season, despite Tony stinking the place out and Cavani looking a better option from his first appearance, he sulked not one iota, just worked his ass off, got himself into the team and ended the season as our best player. In the Europa final he was not only our goalscorer but our best and hardest working player.
• He's scored a few lovely goals, versus Everton away and that cracker in the final home game. And that header :drool:
• We have another player in the squad who saw his arse about a number, this guy gave up the legendary 7 shirt no problems, is that not a breath of fresh air?
• He lost his place in the side again to Ronaldo, despite being our best player at the end of last season, this despite signing a new deal being told he was vital for this season. His response? Did he sulk to his agent (Pogba), or lose confidence in his ability (Martial), or did he work his ass off, get lauded as showing the best training performance the manager has ever seen?

The last 2 weeks have been vintage Cavani and summed up exactly why fans think the World of him. Rather than sulking at losing his spot and not gaining it back despite our performances being utter wank, he trained so well the manager couldn't ignore him. He then got his start, and we won 0-3 with him scoring and making some think "ooooh, this 3-5-2 might just be our best option". When he was subsequently dropped for the vital CL game, it was the same story again, great attitude, and nice cameo.

He could have just as easily started this season as our best striker, had we not brought in Ronaldo so late, and scored more goals, and been more vital. Maybe you'd have been happier then. However the fact that he hasn't has been totally out of his control, and his response to that, actually making himself considered "vital" again within 10 or so league games is just brilliant.

I'd say you not appreciating is the "hard thing to understand" here. It's clearly because you don't like his type of player, and you want something else for the team, something more fluid, it reverberates through all of your posting and it's given you a confirmation bias, that's why your posts are in the massive minority. You don't want to understand why some like him so much.

The same confirmation bias is causing you even to create a strawman about posters talking about Cavani as though he’s Bryan Robson or has had the same effect, when that’s not the case at all. People aren’t appreciating because he’s our Robbo or Cantona, they appreciate him for all the reasons mentioned above.
You beauty

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Another injury. A real shame, but people were living in cuckoo land if they ever thought we could depend on him week in and week out.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I’ll leave it there. You’re not capable.

quirkey

I’ll leave it there. You’re not capable.
Ha, he’s done you there mate. What a reply “you’re not capable”. I think his response shows he is very capable and can very clearly articulate his views. There is not one point/argument in his defence of the fans ‘love’ of Cavani that can be argued imo.

Vernon Philander

This guy can't string more than a few appearances together, I really do not understand why he's so revered by the fans.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You won this argument by a landslide

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Think we should let him go in January. We've too many forwards as it is and with Sancho hopefully now getting his mojo it's time Greenwood got some minutes upfront.

Cavani can't be relied on anyway. Injuries catching up with him.

Swiss_Red89

Quite a few talks that he could want to leave in January...Barcelona and a few Serie A Clubs interested.

BorisManUtd

Quite a few talks that he could want to leave in January...Barcelona and a few Serie A Clubs interested.
Hopefully we keep him. Season is long and his proper chance is yet to come, Ronaldo won't be able to play all the time and don't think we have other proper strikers in the team, plus his pressing should come as an important factor with Rangnick now managing us.

The United

Hopefully we keep him. Season is long and his proper chance is yet to come, Ronaldo won't be able to play all the time and don't think we have other proper strikers in the team, plus his pressing should come as an important factor with Rangnick now managing us.
Only is he is available mostly for that. It does not look good for it if we go with his injury history.

If we need to free up some wage for January's incoming, I would let him go.

lex talionis

Beast. We’re going to need Edi during our assault on the CL trophy. If that Chelsea was able to pull it off under Thomas, so can this squad under Ralf.

The United

Freeing up a few months' wages and losing the only credible backup for Cristiano in the process? Cutting the nose to spite the face.
Nothing like cutting the nose to spite the face in this situation.

It is called balancing the book that the club might want to do it for a few incoming if any in January. Besides, I don't see that Cavani is that important if he can't be available for much.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Nothing like cutting the nose to spite the face in this situation.

It is called balancing the book that the club might want to do it for a few incoming if any in January. Besides, I don't see that Cavani is that important if he can't be available for much.
We can't tell if he will be available or not, last season he was and to good effect.

Any incoming is clearly not going to be a striker so balancing the books would be best done elsewhere (both position and taking a longer contract off the books).

It is next Summer that his wages being off the books will tie directly into his (and Cristiano's) long term replacement.

The United

We can't tell if he will be available or not, last season he was and to good effect.

Any incoming is clearly not going to be a striker so balancing the books would be best done elsewhere (both position and taking a longer contract off the books).

It is next Summer that his wages being off the books will tie directly into his (and Cristiano's) long term replacement.
My thinking is that he will be gone next summer. With his injured record, give his minutes to Greenwood instead. Ronaldo will be gone too of course but not this summer yet and he is usually more available and reliable.

The balancing should be done elsewhere too of course but this is Cavani thread and we are pretty much top heavy and he is the only one who apparently catches someone else's interest unlike others even to offload immediately.

But, I am not saying he will be useless if he stays here. I was just looking at this purely from business point of view.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Seems like he’s been injured more than he’s been playing. 17 goals in 15 months and very few have been significant. A bit of a waste of money in all honesty, we’d be better getting rid ASAP.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Seems like he’s been injured more than he’s been playing. 17 goals in 15 months and very few have been significant. A bit of a waste of money in all honesty, we’d be better getting rid ASAP.
Yea i would agree, especially with Ronaldo coming. Maybe another forward could go as well given we are stacked in that position.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
My thinking is that he will be gone next summer. With his injured record, give his minutes to Greenwood instead. Ronaldo will be gone too of course but not this summer yet and he is usually more available and reliable.

The balancing should be done elsewhere too of course but this is Cavani thread and we are pretty much top heavy and he is the only one who apparently catches someone else's interest unlike others even to offload immediately.

But, I am not saying he will be useless if he stays here. I was just looking at this purely from business point of view.
I just see him as the only natural backup to Cristiano, with the other forward being one of Rashford/Greenwood. Martial seems the more obvious player to try offload if at all possible, unless we plan to just let his contract run out, then get everyone waiting for him to be free, which seems the norm for us.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The lack of availability for Edi has been disappointing.
Not much point in having a player thats hardly even available.

I can see he will be going if not in Jan deffo in the summer.
I wish he joined 5 years ago

Nickelodeon

Not sure why but he's hardly ever available. It seems that he gives his all when he's on the pitch but doesn't give the same to get on the pitch. He's one of those who'll be adored by the fans, maybe more than he's earned.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Reports he is off to Barca in January.
All nonsense conjured up by the tabloids. Why the feck would be leave in jan to barca when he's out of contract after a few months ? They're not even in the CL anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.