Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Myrecks

Why do you think it is OK to be called a black friend, by a white person? Does the same white person call his other friends, his white/Asian friends, directly when talking to them?

Unfortunately this is the reason why race based words are deemed acceptable in todays culture - or I'll be specific to you, why white people think they can call their friends "my little black friend" or "my black friend" when referring to you directly.

Etymology, race and social studies 101 here. Y'all won't get it until you read books, or even just articles by people who have studied this.

Something that is culturally existent shouldn't remove the fact that in todays British/Premier League culture referring to race terminology shouldn't be accepted. Granted the face Cavani removed his post, he just needs to be educated about how it can be perceived and why it is deemed negative to refer to anyone just based on their race (especially when you know them).

I don't think this is cause for a ban, not at all. But the issue is not Cavani's, it's with white South America's belief that using this term is a friendly thing. Don't refer to my race full stop
i haven’t read any sort of books regarding race or how people use it in everday communications but all my friends would absolutely call each other names. Obviously if your white you wouldn’t call your white friends white but anything else it was a thing. Asians you call them chinitos. Black negritos. White, blanquitos. My girlfriends best friend till this day we call her rubia which means blond. She never been blond a day in her life. We just call her that because she’s white.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is what a proper striker looks like. Sadly he is on his last legs and we cannot expect same performance from him week in week out. Wish we had him or somebody like him immediately post Fergie.
6 years younger than Zlatan. He’ll play a long career.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
NO. He does not need cultural education.

Why do people keep saying this?
Cultural imperialism.

Do things our way or be condemned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Black British and I love being so. I'm actually grateful that my grandparents came over in the windrush, cos I have a far higher quality of life than my cousins in the Caribbean. Despite the fact my ancestors only ended up in the Caribbean thanks to the slave trade but that's a whole separate issue...

However, it is hysterical to me to see Brits (who are notorious for not bothering to learn foreign languages) appointing ourselves as the arbiters of what's acceptable to say in Latin American Spanish. I'm not even sure a lot of Brits could find Uruguay on a map! :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

Who is making excuses? It's a question of context.

Tekashi69 uses the n word frequently in his lyrics and he is as Latino as Cavani. It's not an issue because people understand context.

If the same incident happens at another club I will say the same thing.
This equivocation has blown my mind.

mancave bear

However, it is hysterical to me to see Brits (who are notorious for not bothering to learn foreign languages) appointing ourselves as the arbiters of what's acceptable to say in Latin American Spanish. I'm not even sure a lot of Brits could find Uruguay on a map! :lol:

Well said : )

We have to look at the context.

Stacks

No but players should be aware of how things can be perceived, plus he'd be more than familiar to what went on with that pool bellend. All players should know whatever the put on social media will be harshly scrutinised, that's just how things are now.
He doesn't speak a lick of English and is a Spanish speaker. As far as he is concerned he is just doing the most natural thing he has done all his life which is speak Spanish to his Spanish speaking mate. Suarez was accused of saying something completely different, akin to "I don't speak with black people."

oh, so language can only be racist or wrong if you’re trying to rile up the person that it relates to?????

With the history of the use of that word, he should know better.

I don’t see how anyone can defend its use, as innocent as it may have neen

I understand different words in context and culture but that word in particular has history in English football and at United in particular.

We wanted the book throwing at Suarez when he used the term towards Evra but now United fans are defending it.

Bonkers
There is no history of this word in England as its a Spanish word. Since when have they said Negrito in England? there are thousands of words and phrases in Spanish they may be offensive if you just translate them word for word in English so shall we just place a blanket ban on Spanish speakers?

Why do you think it is OK to be called a black friend, by a white person? Does the same white person call his other friends, his white/Asian friends, directly when talking to them?

Unfortunately this is the reason why race based words are deemed acceptable in todays culture - or I'll be specific to you, why white people think they can call their friends "my little black friend" or "my black friend" when referring to you directly.

Etymology, race and social studies 101 here. Y'all won't get it until you read books, or even just articles by people who have studied this.

Something that is culturally existent shouldn't remove the fact that in todays British/Premier League culture referring to race terminology shouldn't be accepted. Granted the face Cavani removed his post, he just needs to be educated about how it can be perceived and why it is deemed negative to refer to anyone just based on their race (especially when you know them).

I don't think this is cause for a ban, not at all. But the issue is not Cavani's, it's with white South America's belief that using this term is a friendly thing. Don't refer to my race full stop
In Spanish why not? It's akin to saying homie, mate etc. In Spanish they refer to people based off their physical characteristics. That's how their language works and is it the right of Anglo speakers to change how 572 million Spanish speakers speak, to suit the Anglo culture/ways of communicating?

David Silva is called El Chino in Spain and boxer Marcus Maidana is also called this also (means Chinese). If they are speaking their own language and which you do not understand or speak, it's best to mind our business as things don't always translate the same.

" To swallow a clown" in Spanish means dying of laughter or a person is funny. Of course this does not mean the same in English so there is no point trying to translate things word for word as they don't mean the same in each country.

This equivocation has blown my mind.
I don't understand why. 69 is quite evidently not Black and routinely uses an English term which, in common speech, is much more offensive than what Cavani said. However, people gave him a free pass until he snitched on Treyway.

My point was that, generally speaking, people accept the context in which words were used. Cavani's usage was not remotely close to being offensive (its certainly levels below anything 69 routinely comes out with).

Cavani was saying thank you to a friend. There was no spite or undertone in his words. Had Cavani been born and raised in a genteel English household, I'd be more suspicious of his motives in using the word. However, knowing his background and seeing the exchange I can't believe Cavani meant this offensively.

Are people forgetting that Chicharito testified in the Evra vs Suarez hearing that he himself used the same term routinely?

Stacks

Cultural imperialism.

Do things our way or be condemned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Black British and I love being so. I'm actually grateful that my grandparents came over in the windrush, cos I have a far higher quality of life than my cousins in the Caribbean. Despite the fact my ancestors only ended up in the Caribbean thanks to the slave trade but that's a whole separate issue...

What's good my fellow Carribean?

Anyways, the bolded part is how I was describing this to my friend. Its very sticky for we Brits to decide what foreign language words are acceptable for foreigners to use. Its actually mad. There are thousands if not millions of words out there that if translated to English, may not fly. Are we going to monitor and be arbiters of every foreign word that is spoken on these shores and hand out bans? It's an impossible, thankless and pointless task.

What's good my fellow Carribean?

Anyways, the bolded part is how I was describing this to my friend. Its very sticky for we Brits to decide what foreign language words are acceptable for foreigners to use. Its actually mad. There are thousands if not millions of words out there that if translated to English, may not fly. Are we going to monitor and be arbiters of every foreign word that is spoken on these shores and hand out bans? It's an impossible, thankless and pointless task.
Everything bless.

I agree with everything you've said. Its an extension of the Team America World Police mentality that our way is the right way and we must impose it on everyone else.

Doesn't matter what their culture is or how their history has shaped the way they see the world. Our way is the right way. Only our historical context matters. Therefore they must change.

Red_toad

He doesn't speak a lick of English and is a Spanish speaker. As far as he is concerned he is just doing the most natural thing he has done all his life which is speak Spanish to his Spanish speaking mate. Suarez was accused of saying something completely different, akin to "I don't speak with black people."
His long term international team mate and striking part received a length ban for using the exact same word. He mustn’t have known about that then?
I never stated it was with the intent the Liverpool bellend used it in, as it’s not comparable. But go live in another country and learning about how you can upset the local population and difference in words is pretty essential, especially if you’re a high profile professional footballer. He’s not some Spanish speaking bloke who’s just rocked up in the UK and sending tweets for his mates back home to read. People live to seek out stuff to be offended by now, I do not support that course of action, but that’s how are thing's are now. Live with it and change to suit your environment. He’ll likely get a fine and a ban and learn a lesson. Not that I believe he deserves it, I just know the system.

His long term international team mate and striking part received a length ban for using the exact same word. He mustn’t have known about that then?
I never stated it was with the intent the Liverpool bellend used it in, as it’s not comparable. But go live in another country and learning about how you can upset the local population and difference in words is pretty essential, especially if you’re a high profile professional footballer. He’s not some Spanish speaking bloke who’s just rocked up in the UK and sending tweets for his mates back home to read. People live to seek out stuff to be offended by now, I do not support that course of action, but that’s how are thing's are now. Live with it and change to suit your environment. He’ll likely get a fine and a ban and learn a lesson. Not that I believe he deserves it, I just know the system.
This is not true. Why do people keep saying this?

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files.../the-fa-v-luis-suarez---14-december-2011.ashx

Please read the actual FA ruling instead of spreading Suarez's disinformation.

Suarez was not banned for saying the same word. Suarez was banned because the FA found even if he had used that word the context would have made it racially offensive. The FA also found his evidence to be unreliable. Whereas the FA found Evra's to be reliable. Evra, need I remind you, told the FA Suarez had pinched his skin and said 'I hit you because you are Black' among other things. Things that are obviously racially offensive in any context.

Gasolin

I just want to say that we have a #7, who has won us 6 pts already as a sub:
- Everton, he killed all their hope of coming back by scoring the 3-1 goal
- Southampton, he got us the equalizer and the come back winning goal for the 3-2

When I compare that to our old puppy loving friend Sanchez, it's so refreshing...

Withnail

There is no history of this word in England as its a Spanish word. Since when have they said Negrito in England? there are thousands of words and phrases in Spanish they may be offensive if you just translate them word for word in English so shall we just place a blanket ban on Spanish speakers?

In Spanish why not? It's akin to saying homie, mate etc. In Spanish they refer to people based off their physical characteristics. That's how their language works and is it the right of Anglo speakers to change how 572 million Spanish speakers speak, to suit the Anglo culture/ways of communicating?

David Silva is called El Chino in Spain and boxer Marcus Maidana is also called this also (means Chinese)
. If they are speaking their own language and which you do not understand or speak, it's best to mind our business as things don't always translate the same.

" To swallow a clown" in Spanish means dying of laughter or a person is funny. Of course this does not mean the same in English so there is no point trying to translate things word for word as they don't mean the same in each country.
And this is supposed to be ok because everyone does it?

Do they also do the 'eyes' like father Ted?

Sorry, I'm not seeing why this isn't problematic.

troylocker

Fantastic performance on the pitch yesterday! Totally ignorant and stupid insta-comment. It's 2020 and unless he's been living under a rock he deserves the ban he gets.

Stacks

And this is supposed to be ok because everyone does it?

Do they also do the 'eyes' like father Ted?

Sorry, I'm not seeing why this isn't problematic.
I.Not everything in the world revolves around the Anglo way of thinking. There exists other cultures and traditions which we may not understand or follow. Is it your job to enforce a way of speaking on an entire continent, based off your view of linguistics? Do other continents/cultures do the same to us?
I am actually curious about the bolded bit

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'm totally ok with our past-it panic buy strikers turning out like Cavani and Ibra. I know there was a Falcao in there too, but you can't win 'em all.
Always thought he was going to be what we needed up front, a traditional striker. Martial and Rashford are very similar in their strengths and both are clearly good talents, but I struggle to imagine either of them scoring the goals Cavani did yesterday. Lets just hope he can teach that side of his game to the others before he goes.

treble_winner

Can we bring this guy to Old Trafford together with Cavani? He roared the names with passion.

Withnail

I.Not everything in the world revolves around the Anglo way of thinking. There exists other cultures and traditions which we may not understand or follow. Is it your job to enforce a way of speaking on an entire continent, based off your view of linguistics? Do other continents/cultures do the same to us?
I am actually curious about the bolded bit
The simple fact is that Cavani is playing for an English club and sent a public message on Twitter so different rules apply.

If I moved to a different country and had a high profile job of some kind, I'm sure I'd have to be mindful of not saying or doing certain things that would be culturally insensitive there but fine back home.

To turn this into a complaint about policing other cultures is a bit OTT in my view and I'm not English so less of the 'Anglo' please.

In relation to what the other poster said calling a man of Japanese descent 'the Chinese fella' isn't a bit racist in any language, no?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He's going to get banned, or Liverpool fans will do their fecking nuts. Let's be honest here.

Stacks

The simple fact is that Cavani is playing for an English club and sent a public message on Twitter so different rules apply.

If I moved to a different country and had a high profile job of some kind, I'm sure I'd have to be mindful of not saying or doing certain things that would be culturally insensitive there but fine back home.

To turn this into a complaint about policing other cultures is a bit OTT in my view and I'm not English so less of the 'Anglo' please.

In relation to what the other poster said calling a man of Japanese descent 'the Chinese fella' isn't a bit racist in any language, no?
How would you know though? Simple every day words may be taken as offensive and you use thousands of words everyday.

Would you be able to compile a list of banned words that you use in your native tongue that wouldn't be allowed in the country you are working? is this even a thing?

This is also different as we have taken his language, mistranslated/misinterpreted it and gotten offended. If he had said this in English I may be inclined to agree but we clearly don't have Spanish language experts around so why bother policing it and getting offended? We will never understand it in its correct interpretation so it's best to just leave it be. If I was in Italy and said an English word that meant something different in Italian I would hope they would understand I am foreign and just leave me be!

Withnail

How would you know though? Simple every day words may be taken as offensive and you use thousands of words everyday.

Would you be able to compile a list of banned words that you use in your native tongue that wouldn't be allowed in the country you are working? is this even a thing?

This is also different as we have taken his language, mistranslated/misinterpreted it and gotten offended. If he had said this in English I may be inclined to agree but we clearly don't have Spanish language experts around so why bother policing it and getting offended? We will never understand it in its correct interpretation so it's best to just leave it be. If I was in Italy and said an English word that meant something different in Italian I would hope they would understand I am foreign and just leave me be!
Well, that's clearly a ridiculous position. It was said in another language so we'll just ignore it :lol:

They're investigating it so we'll have to wait and see what they find. I'm sure United and Cavani will have the required linguistic experts.

Stacks

Well, that's clearly a ridiculous position. It was said in another language so we'll just ignore it :lol:

They're investigating it so we'll have to wait and see what they find. I'm sure United and Cavani will have the required linguistic experts.
If it doesn't mean the same thing across the languages and is misinterpreted then yes! :D

He'll get banned though. I can smell it.

Foxbatt

Did he tweet in English to a British guy? If not no case.
Half the people in the Philippines would be banned in the UK then. The 4th largest island in the Philippines is called The Negros. Because the Spanish named after the people there who are darker than the people in Luzon.
As for the Suarez case it was different. I agree with the Silva case where no malice was there. You simply can't translate any language word for word.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's going to get banned, or Liverpool fans will do their fecking nuts. Let's be honest here.
feck what Liverpool fans think. Their player racially abused someone on on the pitch, our player thanked a fan on insta. This shit isn’t the same.

If he gets more than 1 game, which is what Bernardo Silva got than it’s an absolute piss take.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Isn’t this thread about performances on the pitch? Not as though the other thread is difficult to find ffs.

Been watching the goals again and his movement for the winner is amazing. Sees the opportunity so much earlier than anyone else around him. I wonder if Martial and Rashford can learn that off him? They would be twice the players they are now, if so.

Stacks

Isn’t this thread about performances on the pitch? Not as though the other thread is difficult to find ffs.

Been watching the goals again and his movement for the winner is amazing. Sees the opportunity so much earlier than anyone else around him. I wonder if Martial and Rashford can learn that off him? They would be twice the players they are now, if so.
I think we have all got mixed up between this one and the FA investigation one!

Withnail

You’re having a nightmare here mate.

He used a word that’s not a problem here. Nor there. Not anywhere.

Someone decided it’s offensive as if you translate it, the word black is there.

It’s the equivalent of you using the phrase “Pot calling the kettle black” in another country and someone inventing alternative intent.

The word he used has NOTHING to do with the race of a a person.

You’d be dying on a better hill complaining about the word Nigger in Rap songs. Just as stupid. But closer to actual reality.
I thought I was having a chat with @Stacks, to be honest, but oh no apparently I'm having a mare. Whatever will I do.

The bolded part is clearly not true but as pogue pointed out this is the wrong thread.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You’re having a nightmare here mate.

He used a word that’s not a problem here. Nor there. Not anywhere.

Someone decided it’s offensive as if you translate it, the word black is there.

It’s the equivalent of you using the phrase “Pot calling the kettle black” in another country and someone inventing alternative intent.

The word he used has NOTHING to do with the race of a a person.

You’d be dying on a better hill complaining about the word Nigger in Rap songs. Just as stupid. But closer to actual reality.
Damn bro, as if you just dropped it with a hard R :/

yamo123x

I am really beginning to hate the modern game. VAR, the broadsheets and their anti UTD fake news and transfer stories, and now social media and the blame culture that comes hand in hand with it.
If i was a modern day player i would stay clear of social media as there are always people there waiting to throw you under the bus and assassinate your character.... it spreads like wildfire and is spoiling football for me.

I feel for Cavani, and loathe the bandwagon jumper nobodies like Troy deeney who should focus his efforts on playing football and not trying to vilify someone for sending amessage to a dear friend.