Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
oh, so language can only be racist or wrong if you’re trying to rile up the person that it relates to?????

With the history of the use of that word, he should know better.

I don’t see how anyone can defend its use, as innocent as it may have neen

I understand different words in context and culture but that word in particular has history in English football and at United in particular.

We wanted the book throwing at Suarez when he used the term towards Evra but now United fans are defending it.

Bonkers
Suarez used negro. He tried to claim he used negrito as it's a more endearing friendly term but ended up admitting that he used negro in a spiteful way.

Dr. Dwayne

His long term international team mate and striking part received a length ban for using the exact same word. He mustn’t have known about that then?
I never stated it was with the intent the Liverpool bellend used it in, as it’s not comparable. But go live in another country and learning about how you can upset the local population and difference in words is pretty essential, especially if you’re a high profile professional footballer. He’s not some Spanish speaking bloke who’s just rocked up in the UK and sending tweets for his mates back home to read. People live to seek out stuff to be offended by now, I do not support that course of action, but that’s how are thing's are now. Live with it and change to suit your environment. He’ll likely get a fine and a ban and learn a lesson. Not that I believe he deserves it, I just know the system.
No he did not. Suarez was sanctioned for using the term negro not negrito. How many times does it have to be repeated?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can we get focus back to the actual player and just admire that we have a 33 year old with the number 7 shirt who goes to absolute war every minute he's on the pitch?

Artorias

No he did not. Suarez was sanctioned for using the term negro not negrito. How many times does it have to be repeated?
Besides, Cavani used "Negrito" refering to a friend, not as an insult. People of South America use a lot of swearing and "wrong" words when we are refering to a friend.

VivaRonaldo85

Is it confirmed that Cavani sent the story himself on Instagram? Or is there a possibility that given his high profile ‘brand’, he has an agent/manager type person managing his Social Media accounts who could be culpable? Or would Cavani take the punishment whoever posted it? Assuming he did send it himself but just a thought.

littleman

We won’t know how Cavani’s career will pan out here or how long he’ll last at this age, but, curious — anyone watched his transfer news the past window? Why didn’t PSG renew his contract and how did he end up here of all places

TOMTOMTHERED

I've always liked cavani from back in the day at napoli. Brilliant for me in fifa back then.
I had no idea I was about to fall in love with the man when we signed him though.
I think he maybe jesus

Okey

We won’t know how Cavani’s career will pan out here or how long he’ll last at this age, but, curious — anyone watched his transfer news the past window? Why didn’t PSG renew his contract and how did he end up here of all places
Here, of all places, is Manchester United. Quite possibly the biggest brand in football, recent failings notwithstanding. And he wears our iconic No. 7 shirt. Whatever the story is about his leaving Paris, he's ended up at a bigger club, of all places!

bennoman57

Here, of all places, is Manchester United. Quite possibly the biggest brand in football, recent failings notwithstanding. And he wears our iconic No. 7 shirt. Whatever the story is about his leaving Paris, he's ended up at a bigger club, of all places!
£175,000 a week.

Castia

Only started watching football in the past 3 years? Leaving the mighty PSG for minnows of Manchester United

Wouldn’t mind if they’d been tearing it up in the CL but they’ve only ever got past the round of 16 once.

They’re a club who spent a load of money one summer

Dr. Dwayne

From what I've seen online he wanted more money and they didn't think he was worth it at 32. Atletico Madrid were interested but again his salary demands were quite high.

In the end, we were probably the only ones that could make him a compelling offer and it likely went late because Ed thought we could get Sancho up until a day or two before the window closed.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Living up to that username there.

Footy van de Geek

At 33 coming up to 34 in February, and off the back of two injury hit seasons, it's highly unlikely that he will be our starting ST.

We have to pick and choose what games suit him. With such a condensed schedule, rotation is key. He's clearly doing well as an impact sub right now.

With careful consideration, we can probably get 12-15 goals from him this season. I never saw him as a signing who would score 25+ goals.

littleman

Living up to that username there.
I’m really surprised how the 3 of you replying are so small minded and how.. dumb all of you are.

It’s a simple question.

I don’t worship Cavani. It’s a simple question — how did he end up here of all places? If he was at PSG was he all about salary and if so is it just us willing to pay more than other teams like say Inter?

It’s really shameful to share a forum with posters like you, shitting on other people trying to feel good about yourself. You’re not going to change that you’re a loser by being high and mighty on a keyboard. Grow up

treble_winner

I’m really surprised how the 3 of you replying are so small minded and how.. dumb all of you are.

It’s a simple question.

I don’t worship Cavani. It’s a simple question — how did he end up here of all places? If he was at PSG was he all about salary and if so is it just us willing to pay more than other teams like say Inter?

It’s really shameful to share a forum with posters like you, shitting on other people trying to feel good about yourself. You’re not going to change that you’re a loser by being high and mighty on a keyboard. Grow up
PSG deemed he was "too old". That's why they probably low-balled him, despite the fact that he was almost a legend there. If you worked with a company for many years, only for them to lowball you with lousy contracts in your 40s, would you still want to work for them or you'd move out to somewhere that people value you more?

So Cavani decided to "move on". Then within a group of AS Roma, Atletico Madrid and Manchester United, he chose the biggest company (And the biggest company paid him the most, befitting their status as one of the biggest companies in the world as well). If you were in Cavani's shoes, would you have made the same choice?

littleman

PSG deemed he was "too old". That's why they probably low-balled him, despite the fact that he was almost a legend there. If you worked with a company for many years, only for them to lowball you with lousy contracts in your 40s, would you still want to work for them or you'd move out to somewhere that people value you more?

So Cavani decided to "move on". Then within a group of AS Roma, Atletico Madrid and Manchester United, he chose the biggest company (And the biggest company paid him the most, befitting their status as one of the biggest companies in the world as well). If you were in Cavani's shoes, would you have made the same choice?
I would.

Cool, so he was deemed too old and not because he was playing poorly? All makes sense.

Bondi77

Doesn’t the word ‘Sorry’ count for anything anymore when making an honest mistake?
Don’t know where we are heading with this.

Shaheer19

Is it confirmed that Cavani sent the story himself on Instagram? Or is there a possibility that given his high profile ‘brand’, he has an agent/manager type person managing his Social Media accounts who could be culpable? Or would Cavani take the punishment whoever posted it? Assuming he did send it himself but just a thought.
Irrelevant as ultimately the player is responsible for what goes out on his social media even if he as 3rd party agents acting on his behalf.

Withnail

He was excellent at the weekend.

Apart from the goals and the assists, his movement and hold-up play (I know I'm sounding a bit Life of Brian here) I was really impressed with that chance from that weird kinda looping nothing ball from AWB that he managed to nearly score from. When the ball came in I was thinking there's no chance of a goal with a cross like that but he managed to fashion into something and was very close to scoring.

Red4Life_#7

Could he be in trouble for this?

Thank you, I've finally seen it. I knew it said negro, but negrito is more gentle for Spanish speakers, it's an endearing term and the content here clearly demonstrates how normal it is to say this to your mate in South Amercian Spanish.
Gary Neville is right, education is needed on players coming from aboard, but the same is needed for the FA, LMA etc.

lex talionis

I speak Spanish and can tell you “negrito” can be intended as either a term of affection or an insult. Even an earthworm has enough brains to understand that Cavani in no way intended an insult. But we’ve had enough of that discussion.

I’d love to see us keep Cavani for two more seasons, provided he retains proper fitness. His minutes of course have to be managed, but the impact he can make in situations like v Soton is enormous.

Wilt

“Ignorantia juris non excusat” (ignorance is not an excuse) said to me by my boss when I once unwittingly fecked up at work.

Wrong as it seems, but think the FA will still ban Cavani despite knowing he didn’t realise he had caused offence.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
“Ignorantia juris non excusat” (ignorance is not an excuse) said to me by my boss when I once unwittingly fecked up at work.

Wrong as it seems, I think the FA will still ban Cavani despite knowing he didn’t realise he had caused offence.
I too want a boss who speaks latin. Like Brendan Rodgers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cavani use this term to his friend, if his friend is not complaining, why should he get any punishment?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
At 33 coming up to 34 in February, and off the back of two injury hit seasons, it's highly unlikely that he will be our starting ST.

We have to pick and choose what games suit him. With such a condensed schedule, rotation is key. He's clearly doing well as an impact sub right now.

With careful consideration, we can probably get 12-15 goals from him this season. I never saw him as a signing who would score 25+ goals.
Time has changed. 33-34 is still young. Ibra still scoring goals for fun at age 39. Ronaldo still among top 3 players in the world at age 35.

RedCurry

You either think it was racist or you don’t. Everything that needed to be said is already said. How much can you fecking debate that?

Massive shame that the guy scored two and assisted another and we are still beating the dead horse of his Instagram post.

el3mel

You either think it was racist or you don’t. Everything that needed to be said is already said. How much can you fecking debate that?

Massive shame that the guy scored two and assisted another and we are still beating the dead horse of his Instagram post.
Yeah this thing really, really got more attention than it deserves. Being at fault or not, it's crazy for me how much discussions this has caused here.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was on big wages for his ages, was starting to decline physically and they like their toys new and shiny. It had little to do with his footballing performances.

Footy van de Geek

Time has changed. 33-34 is still young. Ibra still scoring goals for fun at age 39. Ronaldo still among top 3 players in the world at age 35.
Zlatan and Ronaldo are two genetic freaks who are exceptions, rather than the rule.

Both aren't all action players like Cavani who still presses and harries like a mad man, and is constantly on the move. Ronaldo is conservative with his efforts in order to optimise his attacking efficiency. Zlatan is very stationary. He uses his strength and acrobatics to pin defenders and outwit them in the air.

If anything, players are getting younger. More and more players are breaking into the first teams at big clubs at 17/18. Sancho, Fati, Greenwood, Reyna, etc.

Red For Ever

I am really beginning to hate the modern game. VAR, the broadsheets and their anti UTD fake news and transfer stories, and now social media and the blame culture that comes hand in hand with it.
If i was a modern day player i would stay clear of social media as there are always people there waiting to throw you under the bus and assassinate your character.... it spreads like wildfire and is spoiling football for me.

I feel for Cavani, and loathe the bandwagon jumper nobodies like Troy deeney who should focus his efforts on playing football and not trying to vilify someone for sending amessage to a dear friend.

I particularly dislike the violent coward Troy Deeney, how he gets to be commenting on any game is beyond me, bland voice, and ust jumps on anything that's going on,
to try and be noticed, ( especially if it's a helpless student laid on the ground)
Big loud-mouthed violent bully, should have spent a lot more than 10 months in jail for his cowardly and vicious behavior.

Pavl3n

Great signing, no problems getting a player of his class into the squad.

If he has half the movement he use to have for PSG and Napoli he will bang in goals in England
That post ages well. At least someone actually knew what he brings to the team.

Godfather

I am really beginning to hate the modern game. VAR, the broadsheets and their anti UTD fake news and transfer stories, and now social media and the blame culture that comes hand in hand with it.
If i was a modern day player i would stay clear of social media as there are always people there waiting to throw you under the bus and assassinate your character.... it spreads like wildfire and is spoiling football for me.

I feel for Cavani, and loathe the bandwagon jumper nobodies like Troy deeney who should focus his efforts on playing football and not trying to vilify someone for sending amessage to a dear friend.
That thug Troy Deeney of all people playing the victim card. This world has become a proper joke and as a leftie I'm concerned as to where the left are heading to (not yet everywhere thankfully)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Zlatan and Ronaldo are two genetic freaks who are exceptions, rather than the rule.

Both aren't all action players like Cavani who still presses and harries like a mad man, and is constantly on the move. Ronaldo is conservative with his efforts in order to optimise his attacking efficiency. Zlatan is very stationary. He uses his strength and acrobatics to pin defenders and outwit them in the air.

If anything, players are getting younger. More and more players are breaking into the first teams at big clubs at 17/18. Sancho, Fati, Greenwood, Reyna, etc.
Jamie Vardy is a month older than Cavani.

Camilo

Wrong as it seems, but think the FA will still ban Cavani despite knowing he didn’t realise he had caused offence.
I don't know when this phrase became some sort of guideline for existence in our society, but it's fecking stupid. Ignorance is obviously a good excuse, it's always a good reason. Why should we all be so all-knowing all the time? We're all ignorant of all sorts of things. So what. The problem stems from British ignorance towards South American culture anyway.