Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His work ethic on and off the ball is astounding.

There was a chance where they were countering from a corner and he charged back and won the tackle. First man back was our striker. Top class.

RUCK4444

His work ethic on and off the ball is astounding.

There was a chance where they were countering from a corner and he charged back and won the tackle. First man back was our striker. Top class.
I noticed this, if that were me I would have given Martial an absolute death stare from hell whilst he was jogging around.

Revan

Assumptionman
I really like him as a player. He's got a good footballing brain and his movement is great. He's in great shape which is testament to his professionalism, and his hunger on the pitch is a delight to watch. I really dislike PSG but he was one of the few players even back when he was there I didn't really mind about. Now I've really warmed to him. Reminds me a bit of when we had Larsson for that super short stint.
He is way better than Larsson (be it career-wise, peak, or at his time at United). Larsson really wasn't important for us at all, Cavani is our best striker and has already done so much for us.

Cantonagotmehere

I recall there was a fair bit of criticism for the board when he signed but this has proved to be an astute piece of recruitment. He’s a natural goal scorer, the like of which we haven’t had for some time. Love him, hopefully the younger forwards learn from him, i just wish he was 5 years younger.
And from the press. Ye olde panic buy, by United, Ole and Ed have lost the plot etc..etc...

More panic buys like him please.

Smores

He is way better than Larsson (be it career-wise, peak, or at his time at United). Larsson really wasn't important for us at all, Cavani is our best striker and has already done so much for us.
Already done so much for us is a bit hyperbolic isn't it? He's played well in about 3 games and got 4 goals.

That's way better than Martial so yeah he's our best striker but that's more of a reflection on Martials form.

Revan

Assumptionman
Already done so much for us is a bit hyperbolic isn't it? He's played well in about 3 games and got 4 goals.

That's way better than Martial so yeah he's our best striker but that's more of a reflection on Martials form.
He also won us the game with Everton in the cup. Won us a game in the league, was important in a few other matches (including yesterday). For someone who has played less than 20 games (half of them not starting), he has done incredibly well.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Don't think you understood what I meant, and I don't see how what I posted contradicts that at all, but it doesn't really matter.

eire-red

Turning out to be a great signing. Cavani, Giroud and Vardy showing that age doesn't matter when you have experience and movement in the box.

As many have said already, it's a real shame we didn't try and sign him a few seasons ago. I'll hold my hands up, I was completely wrong about this one, he's far from another Sanchez.

croadyman

I always felt he would be a bit more of a Zlatan/Tevez than Falcao/Sanchez but until he played in this league you can never be too sure on that one but just kept my fingers crossed it would be the former

I always felt he would be a bit more of a Zlatan/Tevez than Falcao/Sanchez but until he played in this league you can never be too sure on that one but just kept my fingers crossed it would be the former
every transfer is a risk. The uproar from a great deal of United fans was pathetic.

I was very much in the “let’s see, it’s low risk” camp.

did we sign him on a one year contract, with an option for a second? Because presumably he can sign a pre-contract for another European club now? Which is a bit of a risk.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think Ole needs to get some credit for Cavani coming in. No doubt Ed and co asked Ole about Cavani and he gave the go ahead to bring him in. Ole was a natural born finisher and knew that Cavani offers something different and has a poachers instinct. His workrate is an added bonus.

Coops73

I’ve got to be honest when we brought him In I thought it was another player just getting one last payday but he’s been brilliant and he works like a Trojan, best striker we’ve got which in itself is a bit of a worry going forward.

GMoore23

Did you watch Larsson in his prime? He was a phenomenal goalscorer and one of the most intelligent forwards I've seen. To say he is way better is in an insult. Marginally maybe.

I think Ole needs to get some credit for Cavani coming in. No doubt Ed and co asked Ole about Cavani and he gave the go ahead to bring him in. Ole was a natural born finisher and knew that Cavani offers something different and has a poachers instinct. His workrate is an added bonus.
feck me, we need to give credit now to a manager to saying yes to signing one the best goalscorers in football?

An idiot knew Cavani was a cracking signing, especially in a squad with no real number nine, and yes, Ole is no idiot.

Did you watch Larsson in his prime? He was a phenomenal goalscorer and one of the most intelligent forwards I've seen. To say he is way better is in an insult. Marginally maybe.
42 in 149 at Feyenoord
19 in 59 at Barca
3 in 13 at United

37 in 106 for Sweden. (compare to an actual phenomenal Zlatan, 62 in 116).

He was a phenomenal goalscorer in Scotland, where he was beating the likes of Stevie Crawford from Dunfermline to the golden boot, or Arild Stavrum, or Rod Wallace.

I liked Henke, very nice player, was never at Cavani's level.

Last edited:
unfortunately Larsson spent his best years in Scotland. Whilst France is often called a farmers league, it was a travesty is stayed at Celtic so long in such a poor league. I’d rate Cavani as the superior player, no matter what he does at United.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
feck me, we need to give credit now to a manager to saying yes to signing one the best goalscorers in football?

An idiot knew Cavani was a cracking signing, especially in a squad with no real number nine, and yes, Ole is no idiot.
I mean he could have done what many experts on the caf said they would do and say no to signing an over the hill, old, past it player that has had too many injuries and hadn't played competitively for a while. Ole clearly believed Cavani could still add something.

I mean he could have done what many experts on the caf said they would do and say no to signing an over the hill, old, past it player that has had too many injuries and hadn't played competitively for a while. Ole clearly believed Cavani could still add something.
Many people on the caf think footballers die at 30.
Lots of us called it from the start and argued constantly with the moaners, that doesn’t make us smart, it was a no brainer, especially with our squad & no number 9 in it.

Bwuk

42 in 149 at Feyenoord
19 in 59 at Barca
3 in 13 at United

He was a phenomenal goalscorer in Scotland, where he was beating the likes of Stevie Crawford from Dunfermline to the golden boot, or Arild Stavrum, or Rod Wallace.

Great player.

b82REZ

But he was a panic buy made by Woody, behind Ole's back according to many.

Amazing how the narrative changes when a player performs well.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
But he was a panic buy made by Woody, behind Ole's back according to many.

Amazing how the narrative changes when a player performs well.
Imagine we signed him for free. but sack woody. too many reactionary brats blaming board whenever possible when they don´t doliver their new big money overpriced signing like Sancho. It mgiht not be perfect but I think Ole´s being backed and we know what were doing. Cavani is the right profile of a player. I slightly doubted his finishing, which turns out more natural then any of our strikers but never doubted his attitude.

If he turns out playing off the bench like a super sub, great, if his form goes up to outperform rashford, martial and greenwood, we have a great situation on our hands. And guess what again - he came for free. Unlike big money signings like Werner. Good timing too, regarding the Haaland situation.

Nick7

It's his mentality on the pitch that surprised me. He was a panic signing, I'm sure we would have signed him earlier in the window if he wasn't but he hasn't just come to collect his pay, he's putting everything out on the pitch. After our last few big name signings I expected him to come in and stink up the place, but he's done the opposite of that. Even when he's not scoring he's improving us by just being on the pitch.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's his mentality on the pitch that surprised me. He was a panic signing, I'm sure we would have signed him earlier in the window if he wasn't but he hasn't just come to collect his pay, he's putting everything out on the pitch. After our last few big name signings I expected him to come in and stink up the place, but he's done the opposite of that. Even when he's not scoring he's improving us by just being on the pitch.
According to those in the know we were in communication with him all summer, but his initial salary demands were excessive so we looked elsewhere. It was only late on where his 'real' options became clear that things accelerated towards a signature. Far from a panic buy.

I definitely share your view about how impressive his work ethic has been so far. He is playing like someone who has everything to prove

Nick7

According to those in the know we were in communication with him all summer, but his initial salary demands were excessive so we looked elsewhere. It was only late on where his 'real' options became clear that things accelerated towards a signature. Far from a panic buy.

I definitely share your view about how impressive his work ethic has been so far. He is playing like someone who has everything to prove
Ah I didn't read that.

Yeah he seems like a serial winner and won't accept anything less, but never lets his head drop. He knows he can turn a game. Similar to Bruno in that way, and it's rubbing off on other players.

Needham

Looks great in the Utd shirt as well. Best looking player at the club, we need him for the team photo. Thought he lacked mobility when used to watch him tucking his hair behind his ears but I was wrong. He's not a ponce. Fox in the box, too

tomaldinho1

Just let the positivity flow! The caf thrives when we don't delve too deeply into things

Relfy

I have to say that it looked like one last payday when he signed. He was close to Atleit and a few others IIRC but ended up with us. I did not think the desire or level of play would still be there, and I was very much asking why we signed him at all. Very happy to be proven wrong, he's been excellent so far, scored some good goals, worked very hard for the team and has great movement which the younger strikers at the club need to take note of.

romufc

I have to say that it looked like one last payday when he signed. He was close to Atleit and a few others IIRC but ended up with us. I did not think the desire or level of play would still be there, and I was very much asking why we signed him at all. Very happy to be proven wrong, he's been excellent so far, scored some good goals, worked very hard for the team and has great movement which the younger strikers at the club need to take note of.
It was natural to think like that considering the signings we have made in the past like Falcao, bastian etc...

The hunger in him to win is amazing, clearly still has the fight which should rub off on the younger players we have in our team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Many people on the caf think footballers die at 30.
Lots of us called it from the start and argued constantly with the moaners, that doesn’t make us smart, it was a no brainer, especially with our squad & no number 9 in it.
Feck me what a life they're living... I mean dying.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Looks great in the Utd shirt as well. Best looking player at the club, we need him for the team photo. Thought he lacked mobility when used to watch him tucking his hair behind his ears but I was wrong. He's not a ponce. Fox in the box, too
He's all over the pitch. Tremendously impressive, and I'm sure that this character trait was just as big a reason for us targeting him as his pedigree. I remember posting when he signed him that if he was half the player he used to be then Martial would lose that centre-forward spot fairly quickly. He's actually been better than I was hoping. Not in terms of movement or goal-scoring but in how much he obviously wants to succeed here.

GMoore23

42 in 149 at Feyenoord
19 in 59 at Barca
3 in 13 at United

Feyenoord was before his prime.

He did his cruciate ligament in his first season at Barca and his goal ratio would have been a lot better otherwise. He still came back and won them the Champions league final the following season.

He was old at united and was more a team player in his later years but he still had a fantastic impact on the squad.

Scotland may be a smaller league but it was a lot stronger then than it is now. Your talking players like Gattuso, Van hoojidonk, de boer brothers, Viduka, Larsson, Van Bronkhorst, Arteta, Di Canio.

In 2001 Larsson was the top scorer in the whole of Europe. Phenomenal considering he broke his leg only the season before.
He scored 35 league goals. It's ok saying the league was weaker but his nearest competitor only had 17. To score 18 more goals than even the second highest scorer in the League was unbelieveable.

Yes Zlatan was a fantastic scorer for Sweden and is a legend also but that takes nothing away from Larsson who has 5 world cup goals to Zlatan's 0.

Some Fellow Footballers and Managers on Larsson

Ronaldinho
“With Henrik leaving us at the end of the season this club is losing a great scorer, no question. But I am also losing a great friend. Henrik was my idol and now that I am playing next to him it is fantastic.

Sir Alex Ferguson
“On arrival at United, he seemed a bit of a cult figure with our players. They would say his name in awed tones. For a man of 35, his receptiveness to information on the coaching side was amazing.

“At every session he was rapt. He wanted to listen to Carlos Queiroz, the tactics lectures, he was into every nuance of what we did. In training he was superb, his movement, his positional play. His three goals for us was no measure of his contribution.

“In his last game in our colours at Middlesbrough we were winning 2-1 and Henrik went back to play in midfield and ran his balls off. On his return to the dressing room, all the players stood up and applauded him and the staff joined in. It takes some player to make that kind of impact in two months.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
“We all know Henrik is a quality player. I have said before I think he is the best Scandinavian player since Michael Laudrup – and he has shown that in training and games.

“His touch is something we can all learn from. You never stop learning as a player and Henrik has done a few tricks in training that have had us all standing up and looking and saying, ‘We have not seen that before.'”

Gianluigi Buffon
“Over my career I have played against some of the best strikers there has ever been. Both Ronaldos, Roberto Baggio, Zlatan Ibrahimovic – and I can honestly say Larsson is not out of place in those names. I faced him against Celtic and Sweden and he was a player to fear, he was very special.”

Chris Sutton
“I liked Shearer a lot, obviously he was brilliant, but Henrik Larsson (was my favourite strike partner). Towards the latter stages of my career, he was a brilliant all-round footballer.

“He could do everything – finish, link up, really unselfish. I enjoyed that partnership more.”

Xavi
“From the first day I saw him in training, the way he moved and the way he was in the box, I knew he was going to be a really good player for us.

“The impact he had on the team was so important. In the final of the Champions League he made the assists for the goals that helped us win the trophy.

“He was so important for us and he was loved by the supporters and his team-mates.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
“Henrik was good enough to play for any team in Europe. But after playing at Celtic Park it is easy to understand why he chose to stay there for so long.”

Again, I'm a massive fan of Cavani's and was one of the few posters on here who had zero doubt's about his signing for us. I just think to say he is way better than Larsson is a bit disrespectful as Larsson is also one of the true greats of the game.

Reactions: roonster09

Alfie092

When we signed RvP back in 2012, himself, Falcao and Cavani were my favourite strikers at the time. I didn't mind any of those 3! Till this day he is still one of my favourite strikers and happy to have him. Just wished we had him at least 4-5 years younger!

As much as I love Ibra, think Cavani would have been a better signing. He would have been 29, at his peak and prior to his injury issues and us United fans would have enjoyed him banging in at least 20-30 goals per season for the next few years and who knows where that would have taken us!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeh. A few years ago (?), there was a thread on Football Forum about him before. People (including me) were clamouring if there's a chance we could sign him or Mandzukic as option to Lukaku. He had a phenomenal WC too, pairing with Suarez.

Gabriel Allon

Feyenoord was before his prime.

He did his cruciate ligament in his first season at Barca and his goal ratio would have been a lot better otherwise. He still came back and won them the Champions league final the following season.

He was old at united and was more a team player in his later years but he still had a fantastic impact on the squad.

Scotland may be a smaller league but it was a lot stronger then than it is now. Your talking players like Gattuso, Van hoojidonk, de boer brothers, Viduka, Larsson, Van Bronkhorst, Arteta, Di Canio.

In 2001 Larsson was the top scorer in the whole of Europe. Phenomenal considering he broke his leg only the season before.
He scored 35 league goals. It's ok saying the league was weaker but his nearest competitor only had 17. To score 18 more goals than even the second highest scorer in the League was unbelieveable.

Yes Zlatan was a fantastic scorer for Sweden and is a legend also but that takes nothing away from Larsson who has 5 world cup goals to Zlatan's 0.

Some Fellow Footballers and Managers on Larsson

Ronaldinho
“With Henrik leaving us at the end of the season this club is losing a great scorer, no question. But I am also losing a great friend. Henrik was my idol and now that I am playing next to him it is fantastic.

Sir Alex Ferguson
“On arrival at United, he seemed a bit of a cult figure with our players. They would say his name in awed tones. For a man of 35, his receptiveness to information on the coaching side was amazing.

“At every session he was rapt. He wanted to listen to Carlos Queiroz, the tactics lectures, he was into every nuance of what we did. In training he was superb, his movement, his positional play. His three goals for us was no measure of his contribution.

“In his last game in our colours at Middlesbrough we were winning 2-1 and Henrik went back to play in midfield and ran his balls off. On his return to the dressing room, all the players stood up and applauded him and the staff joined in. It takes some player to make that kind of impact in two months.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
“We all know Henrik is a quality player. I have said before I think he is the best Scandinavian player since Michael Laudrup – and he has shown that in training and games.

“His touch is something we can all learn from. You never stop learning as a player and Henrik has done a few tricks in training that have had us all standing up and looking and saying, ‘We have not seen that before.'”

Gianluigi Buffon
“Over my career I have played against some of the best strikers there has ever been. Both Ronaldos, Roberto Baggio, Zlatan Ibrahimovic – and I can honestly say Larsson is not out of place in those names. I faced him against Celtic and Sweden and he was a player to fear, he was very special.”

Chris Sutton
“I liked Shearer a lot, obviously he was brilliant, but Henrik Larsson (was my favourite strike partner). Towards the latter stages of my career, he was a brilliant all-round footballer.

“He could do everything – finish, link up, really unselfish. I enjoyed that partnership more.”

Xavi
“From the first day I saw him in training, the way he moved and the way he was in the box, I knew he was going to be a really good player for us.

“The impact he had on the team was so important. In the final of the Champions League he made the assists for the goals that helped us win the trophy.

“He was so important for us and he was loved by the supporters and his team-mates.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
“Henrik was good enough to play for any team in Europe. But after playing at Celtic Park it is easy to understand why he chose to stay there for so long.”

Again, I'm a massive fan of Cavani's and was one of the few posters on here who had zero doubt's about his signing for us. I just think to say he is way better than Larsson is a bit disrespectful as Larsson is also one of the true greats of the game.
Great message, thanks for posting.

Larsson was a great player, truly. I also think Cavani is of that calibre, but both chose to stay in less prestigious leagues for a prolonged period. I don’t begrudge them of that, as there’s more to life than football and they may have felt settled for a plethora of reasons.

I think they are both feared attackers and Man Utd don’t have anyone else close to their class. That’s why I think Haaland would be a pivotal signing here. Martial and Rashford will never be of that calibre. I’ve no idea if Greenwood will.