Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Highfather_24

How so? We've now got Rashford, Martial and Greenwood instilled as our first choice front line. Now as backup for Martial we have Cavani. Ok, he's 33 and hasn't played regularly since March, but he's as good a striker as we could hope for sitting on the bench. And if he plays so well that he starts claiming a starting spot then it's win / win. We now have proper cover for the wide slots too. Traore looks exciting if raw, we also have James (ok, not amazing, but can do a job on the left when needed) and we now have Pellistri. That will ensure the times we have Mata and Lingard plugging that RW gap are kept to a bare minimum or even better, erased.
You make a good point. But answer this for me. We are playing PSG tomorrow in CL. In the weekend PL, Greenwood gets injured(god forbid). Who do we line-up in attack?

Do you think we will throw in Pellistri? Or will it be James/Lingard/Mata? Dont tell me we are going to play Rashford/Cavani as RW.

Highfather_24

All good, no need to apologise. Hopefully this thread ends up as a beacon of positivity, after Cavani's debut hattrick. (In November or whenever he's meant to be fit...)
Man, I really hope Cavani hits the ground running, and proves everyone wrong. We need him.

Old isn't the first word that comes to kind when I think of Vardy, that's true.

I meant to say, United surely can sign a top class striker in his 20s? Don't ask me for examples though :nervous:
I think we lack experince in our attack, rashford, greenwood and martial are so inconsistent cavani will do the team some good. I would have liked someone a bit younger but theres no one available thats quality like him.

Dont just argue for arguing's sake. Its a very similar situation. We need a top class winger, but we go on to sign two youth prospects, and a aging former star striker with injury problems, and give him the #7. Happened in 2009. Happening in 2020. The only difference is we were in that position because we sold Ronaldo, now we are in this position because we dont have any RW and need one.
You compared it to a scenario that is completely dissimilar. Own that and move on.

You described a situation where we sold a brilliant player, and didn’t effectively replace him. Here we are needing a winger, where we haven’t had one for a decade. Two very different things.

Highfather_24

You described a situation where we sold a brilliant player, and didn’t effectively replace him. Here we are needing a winger, where we haven’t had one for a decade. Two very different things.
I literally said that is the only difference. So weird that you would point out the difference while completely ignoring the similarity. I never said its a 100% like for like scenario. The scenario of how we came to require a RW is different. How we react to that in the transfer market is the same. Does that make it clearer?

George Beast

It's funny listening to people whinge about his age when he's the same age as Messi and 2 years younger than Ronaldo, both of whom had incredible seasons last season. Did anyone mention Messi's age when there was a chance he'd leave Barca? I'm not comparing talent, but if you look after yourself you can be just as good at 33 as anyone

I literally said that is the only difference. So weird that you would point out the difference while completely ignoring the similarity. I never said its a 100% like for like scenario. The scenario of how we came to require a RW is different. How we react to that in the transfer market is the same. Does that make it clearer?
I don’t understand the relevance of the comparison, I don’t think it makes sense. you do. Let’s move on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We need Cavani not simply to do well but to have a Ruud Van Nistlerooy 2002/03 type season for us. I honestly don't know what to expect from him, given how injured he's been over the past two seasons and how he hasn't played a game for six months. However, somehow, someway, he has to hit the ground running. In fact he has to hit the ground absolutely bolting.

Joseunited

Short term contract for a proper striker. What isn't to like about this move? He'll do well and score goals and more importantly he'll lead the line unlike Martial. Looking forward to seeing him in a United shirt.

Siorac

I don't expect him to score 30, I hope he can make a decent contribute in rotation if he's fit and healthy, which is the big question.
You don't but the poster I originally responded to claimed he would score more than Ibrahimovic. I agree with your post here, absolutely.

Jeffthered

He has undoubted class, and pedigree. Let's get behind him and see what he can do.

Great move for him. I actually have a good feeling about this.

Passitlikescholes

I get that Cavani is old and that recently he has been plagued by injuries, all we can do is hope he comes good for us, from all reports it seems he has fire in the belly and a point to prove.

But am I the only one who feels giving him the #7 jersey is a kick in the teeth for the fans by those that run the club? That we're being force fed Cavani as our "marquee signing" and a pretty piss poor attempt at trying to appease the fans?

RUCK4444

He has undoubted class, and pedigree. Let's get behind him and see what he can do.

Great move for him. I actually have a good feeling about this.
Yeah same here. There's going to be some bitterness that we didn't sign Sancho (myself included, gutted! I was the 3rd highest poster in that thread! :() But we shouldn't let it spill over onto our view of Cavani.

He's a different player in a different position, we aren't taking the no 7 shirt of somebodies else's back for him, it's available anyway. We might as well get behind him and hope he can recapture some of that form he's shown previously.

I've always admired his positioning and movement. Although a bit wasteful in the past he would create chance after chance for himself through brilliant positional play and movement.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Interesting comparing the reaction here to Falcao when he joined, seem to remember people were a lot more positive about that. Maybe people were on more of a high because of the window as a whole/new manager syndrome, but if anything that might just show you can't really judge windows until years down the line.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think we lack experince in our attack, rashford, greenwood and martial are so inconsistent cavani will do the team some good. I would have liked someone a bit younger but theres no one available thats quality like him.
Fair enough, hope he does well for you lot.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When the news broke I really wasn’t excited for this one, but he’s here now and he seems to have kept himself fit which is a good sign. It would be brilliant if he were able to play ASAP to cover for Martial being sent off.

GlasgowCeltic

I think he can have an impact similar to Etoo at Chelsea, he hit 12 in 35 in his season there

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Interesting comparing the reaction here to Falcao when he joined, seem to remember people were a lot more positive about that. Maybe people were on more of a high because of the window as a whole/new manager syndrome, but if anything that might just show you can't really judge windows until years down the line.
That and we are also days from a terrible defeat, people were already on the edge.

Most non United fans I know are jealous of the signing. Could be meh for one season or could be a World Class attacker.

zenith

He's a direct replacement for Ighalo who leaves in jan. Will do well as long as people don't have high expectations.

Hopefully he hits the ground running in martial absence

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think he can have an impact similar to Etoo at Chelsea
I always forget he was there for a season. 9 in 21 in the league as well, not bad.
That and we are also days from a terrible defeat, people were already on the edge.

Most non United fans I know are jealous of the signing. Could be meh for one season or could be a World Class attacker.
Definitely a factor. He seems very professional, if he gets fit and in form, could be interesting. I'd been expecting to have Ighalo as the backup so I can't find much to complain about for this transfer on its own merits.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
You make a good point. But answer this for me. We are playing PSG tomorrow in CL. In the weekend PL, Greenwood gets injured(god forbid). Who do we line-up in attack?

Do you think we will throw in Pellistri? Or will it be James/Lingard/Mata? Dont tell me we are going to play Rashford/Cavani as RW.
You make a good point also. In that scenario there would be no easy answer. Rashford should be kept on the left and Cavani should go nowhere near it unless it was for 15 - 20 mins at the end. He needs time to be assessed.

It would have to be James or Mata wouldn't it? Not the perfect answer but the only answer.

NinjaFletch

Never a huge fan of his and always thought he was pretty profligate for a top striker. In fact, I thought that was a majority view at his peak.

Can't see him especially making a difference, so I guess if we get 10 goals all competitions out of him and let him go next summer that's probably decent enough.

tomaldinho1

It's funny listening to people whinge about his age when he's the same age as Messi and 2 years younger than Ronaldo, both of whom had incredible seasons last season. Did anyone mention Messi's age when there was a chance he'd leave Barca? I'm not comparing talent, but if you look after yourself you can be just as good at 33 as anyone
Yes, almost everyone mentioned Messi's age. Football fans argue about almost everything but one thing which is simply factual is athletic performance starts to decline in the late twenties. You can still be world class if you're exceptional into your thirties because football simply isn't about who can run the fastest or longest but fitness, acceleration, top speed etc are all important facets of the game.

Personally I think the PL is the least forgiving league when it comes to physicality and it's only getting more intense. Hopefully Cavani can be a success but it's a legitimate concern that he is in the twilight of his career and also that there is a marked difference between the quality of opposition when it comes to Ligue 1 versus the PL.

rotherham_red

Martial LW Cavani ST and Rashford on the RW. It's not ideal, but it's not like we'll be delving in to the Lingard/Mata level players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I get that Cavani is old and that recently he has been plagued by injuries, all we can do is hope he comes good for us, from all reports it seems he has fire in the belly and a point to prove.

But am I the only one who feels giving him the #7 jersey is a kick in the teeth for the fans by those that run the club? That we're being force fed Cavani as our "marquee signing" and a pretty piss poor attempt at trying to appease the fans?
People get hung up on shirt numbers too much

GiddyUp

Literally every non United supporter I've spoken to the last two days are laughing at us. A chronically injured 33 year old striker coming from the French league to the premier league will be a struggle.

Woodzy

Think he will have a good season, and again a much better option than Ighalo.

ovoxo

Not 100% sure he was ever on the radar given the last move, but I’m expecting him to have a Zlatan style impact. He has been a top striker and will be a great bench option, But I just hope he can get up to speed quickly with Martial out.

jackal&hyde

Literally every non United supporter I've spoken to the last two days are laughing at us. A chronically injured 33 year old striker coming from the French league to the premier league will be a struggle.
:lol: Well, if it helps, Ole, RVP and Ferdinand probably know more about football and strikers in particular then those friends of yours. They might be trying to make you feel bad.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Legend says he invented light bulb and Nikola Bendtner was his fiercest rival.

GiddyUp

:lol: Well, if it helps, Ole, RVP and Ferdinand probably know more about football and strikers in particular then those friends of yours. They might be trying to make you feel bad.
Hahahahaha. Yes because those three you mentioned trained with Cavani over the last 6 months to prepare him for this league. Fool. Where was the rest of the league the last 3 months or Europe for that matter? How did such a superstar go under the radar? Because he's been fecking injured for the last 8 months, is 33 and is coming out of the french league.