Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Josh 76

I know Zlatan will almost certainly be the bigger United legend just because he's Zlatan, but I honestly think Cavani adds more to a team overall and impresses me in ways that even Zlatan didn't.

So, so intelligent in his movement but works his absolute arse off. Hope he can keep this level up this season and next, would be a hell of a signing if so.
Zlatan is not a Utd legend.
If a miracle happens and Utd win the league. Cavani will be a Utd legend full stop.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You know the he has a passion in ballet, and you can see in his movement and execution where he know how to use his body (from the jump) to generate the power.
No he doesn't. Or didn't until he got the chance to embrace it.

He was approached to be the face of a campaign promoting ballet to kids. Primarily aimed at boys and driving home the point it wasn't some girlie activity to be ashamed of or bullied over. Cavani goes on about how you should follow your heart and that, same as in every activity (and specifically drawing a parallel with football), you need to train, be disciplined, strive for perfection...

Superb campaign, well conceived, absolutely perfect choice of role model (just imagine Suarez prancing around and saying all that :lol:).

Add that to the story behind his goal celebration... probably the last person on earth you could throw the book at re intolerance and racist abuse :rolleyes:

fecking mental.

SoCross

Any chance of a GIF of that header? Would have been a class goal if that had gone in!

Judas

Open to offers
I know Zlatan will almost certainly be the bigger United legend just because he's Zlatan, but I honestly think Cavani adds more to a team overall and impresses me in ways that even Zlatan didn't.

So, so intelligent in his movement but works his absolute arse off. Hope he can keep this level up this season and next, would be a hell of a signing if so.
Zlatan isn't even close to a legend. I already prefer what Cavani brings to us over him, and we've won nothing with him, hopefully we will. He fits our style much more, doesn't slow us down, and is a ridiculous hard worker.

Ibra's time here is overrated to me honestly. But this isn't the thread for that discussion.

simplyared

Zlatan was and still is a legend in Italy. Maybe even in France but no way could he have reached that status with us. Too short a period and what he acheived is being grossly overrated imo. Cavani had to play second fiddle to Zlatan at PSG beacause Zlatan has to be best wherever he goes. Cavani, on the other hand, doesn't claim he's a lion, god or whatever, doesn't seem to have a big ego, just a fecking good footballer who still has the hunger to score goals, keep himself in shape and looks like he's enjoying playing in a united shirt. Long may it last!

United58

If a miracle happens and Utd win the league. Cavani will be a Utd legend full stop.

...Would he? A lot of people don't consider Beckham a legend. Cavani has been very good but is a far way off that tag IMO

FujiVice

Zlatan is a cult hero due to how he carried himself here. Scored a lot of goals, and was very well liked. Given the choice, I'd have Cavani all day. I think the term is "he's a busy cnut." The type of player that gives defenders and midfielders nightmares. His energy is incredible. And Ole is balancing him out wonderfully.

Idxomer

The thing with Cavani you don't have to build the team around him.

With Ibra, the game plan revolves around him and that hurt the team at times in his season with the club.

myjdjames

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned, but I love Cavani’s reaction after Mason scored, walking back with Greenwood and still giving the young attacker advice! Greenwood was loving it too!
yeah that was great. The influence he has off the pitch is something. It must be unreal for the young guys training with Cavani and just picking up stuff from and getting exposed to a different player/style. I know we used to watch Youtube videos of his goals from Napoli/PSG and be in awe of his some of his touches.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
He is to me, but I think many view him unfavourably against Scholes, Giggs, Charlton, Law, Best etc.
I mean yeah.
But if I say Bezos isn't as rich as Musk, I'm not exactly saying he's a pauper with that comparison.

Beckham is absolutely a legend. But he's absolutely not as legendary as any of those in your list.

SER19

Easily has another 2 years in him. One of those players it just must be brilliant to walk out alongside. Fearless, seen and done it all.

sugar_kane

Zlatan isn't even close to a legend. I already prefer what Cavani brings to us over him, and we've won nothing with him, hopefully we will. He fits our style much more, doesn't slow us down, and is a ridiculous hard worker.

Ibra's time here is overrated to me honestly. But this isn't the thread for that discussion.
Zlatan was and still is a legend in Italy. Maybe even in France but no way could he have reached that status with us. Too short a period and what he acheived is being grossly overrated imo. Cavani had to play second fiddle to Zlatan at PSG beacause Zlatan has to be best wherever he goes. Cavani, on the other hand, doesn't claim he's a lion, god or whatever, doesn't seem to have a big ego, just a fecking good footballer who still has the hunger to score goals, keep himself in shape and looks like he's enjoying playing in a united shirt. Long may it last!
...Would he? A lot of people don't consider Beckham a legend. Cavani has been very good but is a far way off that tag IMO
Okay admittedly poor choice of the word legend. Although I think it's fair to say the fans especially at Old Trafford loved Zlatan's time at the club and we would give him a great reception if he ever came back to play against us.

Semantics aside, my main point is that when United fans look back on Zlatan's time here vs. Cavani's, Cavani's might end up being seen as the better stint of the two if he keeps up his current level.

I actually think Cavani can be the striker and professional our younger squad members look up to and learn from that Zlatan was always painted to be, when in reality his time here was only ever about Zlatan.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was delighted when we signed him because he is excellent player and unlike many fans, i am not obsessed with player's age or "long run" plans. If player is United quality now and we need him theni am all for it.
But thing which surprises even me is how fired up Cavani is. When Rashford scored yesterday, Cavani celebrated like he is first time playing big game. Amazing attitude.

SplitzMagic

Just realised his preferred shirt is no 7.

Always wondered if its because at the teams he played for under no 9 was because the shirt number wasn't available but saw he wore number 7 for Palmero, Napoli and now us.

Love him though!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In the summer I argued he’d be a great signing because of the value he would bring in terms of someone to learn from for the younger players. Boy is he doing that and more! Love him. Yesterday he must have won the ball back at least 4 times from pressing. He’s relentless. So much for him being past it or not fit after so much time out. The guy is a machine

TheReligion

Abusive
In the summer I argued he’d be a great signing because of the value he would bring in terms of someone to learn from for the younger players. Boy is he doing that and more! Love him. Yesterday he must have won the ball back at least 4 times from pressing. He’s relentless. So much for him being past it or not fit after so much time out. The guy is a machine
He's also passionate and a winner. His reaction to the team scoring is brilliant. You can see the young lads look up to him.

Great signing.

Pace Abuser

Extend his contract. He's quality. Starting striker. Others come in to rest him. He's not here to be a sub.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Quality striker. Quality pro. Not a player at the club who can't learn from him. Such a shame he spent he spent the best of years of his career playing second fiddle in a farmer's league.

LiamMillerBC

He's looking like he was made to wear the United jersey. So much Grit and Determination in that man. Hopefully he can rub off on Greenwood. Like all recent United signings I was hesitant at first but for now I am all aboard the Cavani train. Love watching El Matador run like the wild animal he is .

Redlyn

I didn't expect to be this happy with him honestly. He's come in and looked like a proper striker amongst our wide forward wannabe strikers. Happy days.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
To think I preferred us signing Di Maria to him in 2014 because we already had Rooney and Van Persie. What might have been...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Legend gets thrown around quite a bit and too easily for my liking. He has loads to do to get there and time certainly isn't on his side.

Us getting the title back for the first time post SAF will likely make someone a legend, but my money is on Bruno to be honest. Fingers crossed it's this season or next :devil:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's such a great team player that I'm now questioning that he should shoot more often. He's demonstrated over the years that he's a really talented finisher.

So, take more shots, Cavani. :D

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He only makes you wonder how lucky PSG were. They had Zlatan and Cavani playing for them in the french league. I repeat, in the french league, granted they played in CL too but still.. what a waste of talents

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Really?! I mean I know some people last season tried to say Alexander-Arnold was on Becks' level but I didn't see many United fans saying that. There is no list of great Man Utd number 7s that excludes Beckham. Every time one is produced you see Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo. I didn't even know there was a debate over Beckham's legend status. Old Trafford nearly exploded when he came back with Milan in 2009-10.

I take your point generally though. Its hard to be regarded as a Man Utd legend. For Cavani, being in the conversation depends on two things: 1) Us winning the title and 2) How much he contributes to it. If, for example, we win the next 10-15 games 1-0 and Cavani scores every goal fans will remember this season as the title we won cos of Cavani's goals. If he has the kind of impact Chicharito had during the second half of 2010-11 then, no doubt, he'll be remembered very fondly from here.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He only makes you wonder how lucky PSG were. They had Zlatan and Cavani playing for them in the french league. I repeat, in the french league, granted they played in CL too but still.. what a waste of talents
A waste of Cavani as he was shunted out to the RW.

He still scored a lot of goals though

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

High praise from the manager today for him. Basically, what we've been talking about lately but still... when asked if he can list all the things Cavani offers to this United side, Solskajer's first reaction was "how much time do we have?". He's a proper character, alright. All our attackers will benefit long-term from his time with us.