Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No? He's a class player, he's just always been one who can miss plenty. I'm not slagging him off for fecks sake, literally in here defending him against mugs.
Haha fair enough.

I just wonder who actually is clinical, in the definition of barely missing a chance.
Most strikers seem to miss sh!Tloads.

Even Ibra did for us.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's what you get with him, but he's our only proper striker atm, you stick with him. But, please can buy a striker for once? Someone good. We have not had one since RVP, it's so damning. Our scouts need a kick up the arse too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He didn’t miss a single easy chance today. This place is weird.
I entered this thread a few pages back and it was all man crush, love him etc (obviously after a win he'd scored in), and funnily enough after a non win he hasn't scored in, the clowns are all out.

el3mel

He really didn't do poor on both chances, though. The second one he made a run, the ball comes in behind him, and he had to contort his body to get any contact on it. If anything, he was very unlucky not to score.
The second one is such a difficult chance, behind him, actually did well to get such good contact.

First was a bad missz
I might need to watch both of them again. Ultimately though, if I'll blame someone it'll mostly be Rashford. The first half chance was so stupid, just fecking shoot after receiving the ball. Really poor trying to "guarantee" the chance by taking to many touches.

Haha fair enough.

I just wonder who actually is clinical, in the definition of barely missing a chance.
Most strikers seem to miss sh!Tloads.

Even Ibra did for us.
Andy Cole taught me that the ones who get in the best positions the most, are the ones declared “not clinical”.
Often it’s simply that they get themselves so many more opportunities to score (or miss) than others.
Cole would get multiple chances a game, and despite how good the other strikers were, they’d go entire games without a sniff, something that never happened to Cole.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think with his standards he’ll be upset with the first, but yeah, it was absolutely smashed at him.

Second one would have taken a phenomenal finish, an incredibly difficult chance.
Remind me of the first one. I had to pop out a couple of times for a minute or two. Maybe I missed it.

It wasn’t the Shaw cut back which he got to at the same time as a defender? That was by no means “easy”.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He’s brilliant.

Should start every game that he’s fit enough. He’s the only number 9 at the club and it’s embarrassing how poorly our other forwards play that role.

If we had a right winger and Martial and Rashford were fighting for one spot, they’d probably be doing better for it too.

Aren86

Cavani is the reason we didn’t win today. Not clinical enough - but because he runs around a lot he gets away with it. Rashford was worse, but let’s not pretend Cavani doesn’t miss a lot of chances too. His off the ball is world class, but his finishing isn’t.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
GifLord called him donkey for the second chance, my god.

Here’s the first...
Oh yeah I saw that one. Him and Cedric got there at the same time and it was smashed at them. He couldn’t open his body without Cederic getting the ball so only had a tiny area of the goal to aim at. Definitely not easy.

And “donkey”? FFS. Yer man provides a great service to the caf but I’ve noticed he’s a woeful judge of a good striker.

el3mel

Cavani is the reason we didn’t win today. Not clinical enough - but because he runs around a lot he gets away with it. Rashford was worse, but let’s not pretend Cavani doesn’t miss a lot of chances too. His off the ball is world class, but his finishing isn’t.
Cavani is a great finisher regardless of today's game. His numbers speak for themselves, and if you're going to play down the PSG era then his numbers with Napoli were absolutely incredible as well.

DFreshKing

He's a world class striker and should be our starter when fit but he will be guttwd ge missed the chance from Shaw's cross. 100% he will consider that a bad miss.

At this level it is a very good chance. Crosses will be drilled in and defenders will be close but he should have directed it to the goal 6 from yards.

TsuWave

Those 358 career goals all just lucky were they?
Cavani has missed a feckton of easy chances throughout his career. I don’t know how anyone that has followed his career can say otherwise. It was even a meme among PSG players how Cavani wastes a lot of chances. Come on now. and I saw people here, myself included, voicing this previously. He's still a very good player, who's movement is a1, and has given us a different type of sharpness, but it's always odd when people try to act as if he's some RvN type of finisher or something

in matchday threads, when he's not involved, you'll see posts like "Cavani would have scored that", and it's always a :confused: type moment for me

Chabon

Even in that superb season, Van Persie still went about 8-10 games without a game didn't he?

Kinda feels like it's been forgotten now amongst the hagiography, but yeah, a pretty awful run in which our season kinda trundled to a halt. Twelve and a half hours without a goal for us according to these highlights. There was even legitimate (if somewhat hysterical) fear on here that we might bottle the league again after the city game.

EDIT: I've no idea why that screengrab was so enormous, so I've put it into a spoiler quote.

RashyForPM

His open goal miss was ridiculous but saying he isn’t a great finisher is as well.

Aren86

His open goal miss was ridiculous but saying he isn’t a great finisher is as well.
I guess we have different ideas of what a great finisher is. He doesn't fill me with confidence that if we have 1 chance he will bury it, and that's not to say any of the others do either because this season the attackers have let us down a fair bit.

I don't care how much someone runs or gets into positions and then misses just because it shows desire but I do like him for all his other attributes - many of which are world-class, such as his movement and work rate.

But his finishing isn't anymore.

Maybe once upon a time, it was but I never truthfully watched him enough.

Aren86

Cavani is a great finisher regardless of today's game. His numbers speak for themselves, and if you're going to play down the PSG era then his numbers with Napoli were absolutely incredible as well.
We will agree to disagree, his not a great finisher for me now. Great is feeling confident he will bury a chance when he gets it.

I am not playing his PSG era, as I never watched him there. I know the stats but its PSG. But I know he was good with Napoli too based on the stuff i read, but I can't say I ever saw him play enough. If you watched him enough during Napoli days and think his as great now, then fair play.

RashyForPM

I guess we have different ideas of what a great finisher is. He doesn't fill me with confidence that if we have 1 chance he will bury it, and that's not to say any of the others do either because this season the attackers have let us down a fair bit.

I don't care how much someone runs or gets into positions and then misses just because it shows desire but I do like him for all his other attributes - many of which are world-class, such as his movement and work rate.

But his finishing isn't anymore.

Maybe once upon a time, it was but I never truthfully watched him enough.
Funnily enough, that’s exactly what I think of him. He was profligate against Arsenal, but a quick look at his record of 400+ career goals shows that he is a great finisher. Also, if you were to give me one 1v1 chance, I’d pick Cavani to score it for us.

Think the 3 chances Marcus had against Leicester or the ridiculous amount of chances Martial has missed this season as our main striker; in the hypothetical situation Cavani had those chances, we’d probably, if not certainly, be top of the league right now.

Aren86

Funnily enough, that’s exactly what I think of him. He was profligate against Arsenal, but a quick look at his record of 400+ career goals shows that he is a great finisher. Also, if you were to give me one 1v1 chance, I’d pick Cavani to score it for us.

Think the 3 chances Marcus had against Leicester or the ridiculous amount of chances Martial has missed this season as our main striker; in the hypothetical situation Cavani had those chances, we’d probably, if not certainly, be top of the league right now.
I think this season mate it's a toss-up. They are all pretty poor from a clinical perspective. I think 12 months ago, I'd have chosen Greenwood Martial first as their conversion was top. It will be interesting to see as I think Cavani will start again today.

Fans will take longer to turn on him then Martial because he runs a lot and "cares more", and I hope he actually adds to those 400+ goals significantly from now until the end of the season.

el3mel

Would have hoped for him to stay one more season but good luck for him if he wants to return to South America. Hopefully he wins something with us before he leaves.

SwedishFish

Shame if he goes, he's been brilliant this season. If he leaves we need to go all-in for Haaland.

Striker will have to be the main priority and potentially a CB if the budget allows it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
These rumours have been doing the rounds for a while now and it would explain why no extension has been triggered already however Fabrizio said recently he was interested in staying with us

Would be damaging to us to lose him without getting a replacement of at least equal ability

Judas

Open to offers
If he's replaced by a top quality striker it's no big deal. He's been fantastic, but he's too injury prone and its been his big downside as expected.

But you wouldn't be shocked to see us just do another signing similar to Cavani again towards the end of the window, after a summer of desperately trying to get Haaland.

SATA

We won't miss him much. We gave him a contract when no one wanted him and to be fair, he has put in 100 percent every time he's put on the shirt so no blame to him if he wants to go elsewhere after this

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If he's replaced by a top quality striker it's no big deal. He's been fantastic, but he's too injury prone and its been his big downside as expected.

But you wouldn't be shocked to see us just do another signing similar to Cavani again towards the end of the window, after a summer of desperately trying to get Haaland.
If haaland actually wants to go this summer (rather than pick up an even bigger signing on fee by staying at dortmund for a year) then its likely several clubs will go for him and of course only one will get him... so yeah expect to see some crazy money chucked around for strikers at the end of the transfer window as several clubs look for a consolation prize (I suspect we will end up on the hunt for a consolation prize)

I wouldnt mind if we ended up chucking a ton of money at spurs for Kane just for tottenham fans and joses meltdown

RedDevilzFox

We should try to get Haaland whether Cavani stays or goes. Not sure what Cavani has to do with Haaland. I get we're paying Cavani salary but then again we are paying a bunch of deadwood that we'd be better off getting rid of before Cavani.

For me a striker that knows how to finish is a priority above all as far as united is concerned. I've seen enough of Rashford and Martial and they're both rubbish in front of the goal.

DoomSlayer

If haaland actually wants to go this summer (rather than pick up an even bigger signing on fee by staying at dortmund for a year) then its likely several clubs will go for him and of course only one will get him... so yeah expect to see some crazy money chucked around for strikers at the end of the transfer window as several clubs look for a consolation prize (I suspect we will end up on the hunt for a consolation prize)

I wouldnt mind if we ended up chucking a ton of money at spurs for Kane just for tottenham fans and joses meltdown
We have more chance of getting Haaland than Kane, in my opinion, and I don't have much faith in the first option either. :lol: Spurs would sell literally to anybody else and that is even more so the case with Mourinho there.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This would have nothing to do with Haaland coming, and far more to do with the potential culture shock Cavani has experienced - as well as the physicality of the league which he may not fancy putting his body through for another season at his age.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Haaland and a CB is a good summer window i feel.

If Pogba goes, then a new MF as well.